Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

jem

I look forward to a Cavani/Mata post-match interview double-act. The adorable smiles, the tall/short contrast - an amazing prospect!

tombombadil

No it's not, if the body has made antidote it's measurable in the blood. It's being done all over the world and you can even get a certificate so you can travel between countries hassle free.
IINM, there have been many cases of false positives because the person is still shedding virus particles. So they had to perform additional tests to figure out if it is reinfection or viral shedding.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Himself and pellistri are probably our 2 most handsome players now? I’m straight but Cavani is a good looking dude to be fair :wenger: Not sure how it’s going to go on the pitch. I obviously want him to smash it but I have to say I was disappointed when the transfer was announced. More nonsense getting him late and not able to play at Newcastle solely because we are really badly organised and we were dealing with the leftovers in the market at the end. If we had a dof getting him in hed have been here since July and I’d probably be a fair bit more positive about the deal but I really don’t think we have a plan for what to do with him. Just get another body in. Big name, high wages? Great!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He hasn’t played since March, so we’re probably not going to see the best of him til after Christmas. He’ll be nowhere near match fit at this point. Hope the fans/media don’t get on his back if he has a slow start.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He seems like an incredibly likeable guy. Then again, Falcao was also pretty lovely. Really hope it works out for Cavani.
It was reported on Talk of the Devils that Falcao was actually a very good trainer and tried very hard to become a success here, but it just wasn't to be. He wasn't the same player after his torrid injury and I think our chance creation around the 18 yard box was also extremely low under LVG, so it wasn't suiting him on top.

el3mel

It was reported on Talk of the Devils that Falcao was actually a very good trainer and tried very hard to become a success here, but it just wasn't to be. He wasn't the same player after his torrid injury and I think our chance creation around the 18 yard box was also extremely low under LVG, so it wasn't suiting him on top.
He decided to come to PL at the wrong time that's all. Not the best league to recover from ACL injury. He did well later with Monaco when they won the league and got to CL semi final.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He hasn’t played since March, so we’re probably not going to see the best of him til after Christmas. He’ll be nowhere near match fit at this point. Hope the fans/media don’t get on his back if he has a slow start.
I agree. He has stayed fit, but not trained with peers since March as you say. I wonder where's at at the moment. Hope he's got his accommodation sorted in Manchester and is at training from now.

Jacob

Are there any statistics to back up the notion that he misses a lot of chances?

arthurka

IINM, there have been many cases of false positives because the person is still shedding virus particles. So they had to perform additional tests to figure out if it is reinfection or viral shedding.
Ok that makes sense.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
He's your best signing in years.
Just the central presence you've lacked since Zlatan.

TrustInOle

Can't wait to see him in action. Always been a fan of Cavani since his Palermo days.

Biggest thing I love in the way he plays, he might not be the best dribbler but he is amazing at using an opposition's body movement against them, very Messi like in that way.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Second part of his interview is up - https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...rview-with-new-man-utd-striker-edinson-cavani

He seems nice! I like the sound of his attitude from this bit

You’re a goalscorer but it’s also been said that you are the ultimate team player. Is that how you consider yourself?

Yes, I see myself as a team player. I’m the first one to believe that we all need each other’s help. And that always, when you work as a team, you can make it easier to succeed and to achieve your objectives. I don’t think there’s anything greater than being able to run hard for your team-mate or being able to do stuff for your team-mate. Or being able to help each other out or being able to make that run for your team-mate when they need it and only you are available to do it. Because for me, the end result of all this is getting the victory, that’s when we can all enjoy it. I like this way of thinking, and that’s how I live the game of football. For me that’s what the game is all about, it’s a combination of different things blended together as one; and for that there has to be team spirit out on the pitch, there has to be commitment, and well, that’s what I try to do. As a striker I often have to convert chances, by finishing off a move. And sometimes I can miss. Because on occasions, we strikers can have the entire goal at our mercy, but we can mess up. But equally, my thoughts and beliefs have always been the same as I mentioned before, thinking of the group as a whole, playing as a team and winning altogether.

United have young and hugely talented players playing up front; Greenwood, Martial and Rashford. Do you think you’ll be able to help them with your experience and by giving them advice?

Look, I don’t think that there’s any better advice than simply working hard on a football pitch or in a training session. Because you don’t win any game by just turning up and walking out on the field. You start to win the game during the training sessions, you start to win the game by how you prepare for it. For that you need to start working before the game in the days leading up to it. I think you can sometimes, through your ability, demonstrate certain things by example, without even needing to speak. But I think this can depend on each individual and the desire that they have to grow and improve as a player and how much they really want to win and to compete. I’m coming here to do my very best, as I told you, and I’m here to offer a little bit of my experience to the squad, to the manager, and I’m ready and willing to do the very best I can, and to give the best that I can give. So that’s kind of my aim as I arrive here, very keen to make myself available to my team-mates. After that it depends on each individual, what they want to take on board and what they want to leave alone. That’s a bit like how I see football.

Will Singh

Let’s put Cavani to aside for a minute, I can’t believe how many posters don’t have any consideration for the shirt number.

“It’s just a number” feck off with that attitude, having a legendary number should be a honour and treated with respect but I think it’s a generation thing as recently it’s been past about like there’s no history behind it.

I don’t think anyone should be allowed to walk into the club and get that shirt unless your a young world class proven player not some OAP collecting one last payday (that’s pointed at past players too).

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Let’s put Cavani to aside for a minute, I can’t believe how many posters don’t have any consideration for the shirt number.

“It’s just a number” feck off with that attitude, having a legendary number should be a honour and treated with respect but I think it’s a generation thing as recently it’s been past about like there’s no history behind it.

I don’t think anyone should be allowed to walk into the club and get that shirt unless your a young world class proven player not some OAP collecting one last payday (that’s pointed at past players too).
It was only one generation that saw the #7 as legendary. That's the blip, not the other way around. Best was obviously revered but then he didn't always play in that number, Coppell was a legend but the number just didn't matter that much. It was that relatively brief period between Cantona and Ronaldo that it achieved a mystique that disappeared soon after. Sir Alex clearly didn't give a shot when he gave it to Owen so why should anyone else.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It was only one generation that saw the #7 as legendary. That's the blip, not the other way around. Best was obviously revered but then he didn't always play in that number, Coppell was a legend but the number just didn't matter that much. It was that relatively brief period between Cantona and Ronaldo that it achieved a mystique that disappeared soon after. Sir Alex clearly didn't give a shot when he gave it to Owen so why should anyone else.
Exactly. Also since Ronaldo we had Owen, Valencia, Di Maria, Depay, Sanchez who donned 7.

Jersey numbers are important but it's weird to see people getting so angry about it. It's not as if we are renaming Stadium or stand with player name. Number is free and unassigned, player we signed wanted it.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Exactly. Also since Ronaldo we had Owen, Valencia, Di Maria, Depay, Sanchez who donned 7.

Jersey numbers are important but it's weird to see people getting so angry about it. It's not as if we are renaming Stadium or stand with player name. Number is free and unassigned, player we signed wanted it.
Plus imagine what kind of conversations you'd have with the player who'd like the number, 'oh we're holding it for something better than you that may not come at all'. That's basically the message with that. Basketball has retired numbers, you can never wear them again, but if the 7 is available, knowing this Cavani experiment probably won't be a long affair, then I don't see the problem with it. As far as character and professionalism, you can't do much better than Cavani to represent the number, even if it means so much more than those qualities for some.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

SAF gave it to Liverpool legend Owen.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Plus imagine what kind of conversations you'd have with the player who'd like the number, 'oh we're holding it for something better than you that may not come at all'. That's basically the message with that. Basketball has retired numbers, you can never wear them again, but if the 7 is available, knowing this Cavani experiment probably won't be a long affair, then I don't see the problem with it. As far as character and professionalism, you can't do much better than Cavani to represent the number, even if it means so much more than those qualities for some.
Exactly.

Cavani - "I would like to take 7 as it's available"
Coach - "Piss off, you are not worth it, You are here for last huge contract, take some random number".

That how you integrate players into the squad.

meamth

Or it says we won't sign a No.7 until next season... you can have it in the mean time

Jacob

Seems to have great attitude. Any examples of strikers performing well in PL during their mid 30s?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Just can't shake the feeling that he's gonna rake up the money and treat us like a retirement home

Hope I'm wrong

imamuppet

He's not going to do well at all.

As we saw with Wayne Rooney, you can never trust players that love chips.
Could have taught Wellbeck a thing or two

:lol: :lol:

As others have said, seems like a panic buy, but its also possible that as a back plan they targeted Facundo and Cavani as a "package", also, as others have said, hopefully his lay off from football with have helped ease the niggling injuries he had been getting and that he has kept himself fit.

If he has been able to shake off the injuries he can be an asset to the team, really hope this is the case, as we are low on confidence and an in form Cavani could prove to be a very useful asset!

Last edited:

Suvvernmanc

I don't know if this has been posted on here but I watched this video last night. Cavanis top 10 goals. He reminds me so much of Zlatan in the video. Some absolute bangers in there.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Are there any statistics to back up the notion that he misses a lot of chances?
From what I have seen watching him he does miss a lot of chances, but he still gets himself into the right position and will score goals. Andy Cole was the same. It is if someones head drops and they stop trying to score that is the problem. Him and Cole just carry on wanting to score.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
From what I have seen watching him he does miss a lot of chances, but he still gets himself into the right position and will score goals. Andy Cole was the same. It is if someones head drops and they stop trying to score that is the problem. Him and Cole just carry on wanting to score.
Been pretty decent historically when he's played centre forward by the look of the stats. Last season was bad, so it'll depend on whether that was a blip or permanent.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just caught up with the news that he has to quarantine so misses Newcastle, and will barely have 3 days of training with the team before PSG

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Just can't shake the feeling that he's gonna rake up the money and treat us like a retirement home

Hope I'm wrong
You're definitely wrong if you mean he'd do that intentionally, that's just not his character. He may do it unintentionally through injuries, but he's not going to just collect a check and barely turn up. If he's fit, he'll do his best to represent the shirt well.