Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Tiber

Interesting that the BBC feel the need to clarify - It is understood that the wage package for Cavani does not go beyond the pay structure at the club.

He must be on a fortune as one of the highest earners. Why mention it otherwise?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I hope we retire the 7 shirt in his honour after he retires.

K_Ash

I am even surprised that Cavani himself has accepted number 7.(?!?). The entire world knows he is just signing because of the money.

el3mel

We probably the only project after him but none the less, let's hope he tears the league and has an RVP effect,
I would like to hear this project he was offered, because I absolutely see no project in the club whatsoever.

cptkeane1993

Welcome to Manchester, Edinson!

We now have a great option/upgrade from Ighalo.

If we moved to playing a two upfront, we'd have Rashford/Martial with Cavani/Greenwood rotating. I think the standards won't drop too much at all with such rotation.

spiriticon

I think he'll be good for about 20-25 games.

I don't think he has the legs to be the main man for a full 60 game season though.

But, that said, what an option to bring on from the bench when you need a goal.

Zoo

Does he speak a single word of English? Genuinely interested, would be very important to the way he integrates and motivates himself short-term.
Don’t think so. But he speaks French and Spanish so he’ll be fine. He seems like the kind of bloke that will motivate himself anyway.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Interesting that the BBC feel the need to clarify - It is understood that the wage package for Cavani does not go beyond the pay structure at the club.

He must be on a fortune as one of the highest earners. Why mention it otherwise?
Maybe because it's true and he's not really earning that much relatively.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
so we opted for a bunch mediocre cause we were 10m short of buying the best young player in the world that plays in the position we are in the most need to cover. Nice.
If you hadn't inflated your numbers earlier trying to make this point I might be more swayed by your argument about the price difference.

As it stands, it probably means that the August 10 deadline set by Dortmund was serious.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Probably because otherwise people will just say it's like Sanchez, which was a long term deal on wages in excess of everyone else.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Were like a retirement home for past super stars.

Schweinsteiger
Falcao
Zlatan
Cavani

I'd have loved all of them in their Prime. But hey. We get them when they are old

Guess it means there is hope for Wesley Schneijder yet. Woohooo

I mean I hope he does well but feck me its underwhelming and another plaster over a massive deep seeping wound

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Surprised to see as recent as 2017/18 he was banging in serious goals. @JPRouve any reason why he fell off the cliff at PSG, was it the falling out with Neymar or was there serious worries about his decline?

Struggling to find some recent performances to guage where he is fitness wise...

jesperjaap

Similar quality to Falcao, similar injury record last two years to Falcao. I am not against the signing at all, free transfer, a winner with right attitude, experience....short term decent signing though a gamble as he could be finished.

What I do have a problem with, is why on earth is he being given the number 7 shirt, that is a disgrace. Seriously, anybody under the age of 20 probably has almost no idea of the importance of that shirt, its being lost

el3mel

Were like a retirement home for past super stars.

Schweinsteiger
Falcao
Zlatan
Cavani

I'd have loved all of them in their Prime. But hey. We get them when they are old

Guess it means there is hope for Wesley Schneijder yet. Woohooo

I mean I hope he does well but feck me its underwhelming and another plaster over a massive deep seeping wound
Now Zlatan is totally different from Bastian or Falcao. He was fantastic for us and is still playing at high level nowadays.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why are so many people saying it is a ‘joke’ that we signed Edinson bloody Cavani on a free transfer? How entitled are some!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Welcome Cavani, think he'll have an excellent season here tbh. People who compare him to Falcao are way off the mark. Cavani didn't have an injury like Falcao coming off of ACL surgery at that age. Some injuries last season plus a shortened season plus him wanting to leave/not getting on with Neymar led to a poor last season, but overall was a top striker for them and performed every year. He's a complete striker, will give us a physical presence, experience for a young group of attackers, a huge aerial threat but also very good hold up play/natural striker instinct and movement, etc.

People complaining at Cavani are more directing it at him but angry at the way its all been handled. If we brought in Cavani in August a month before the season and terminated Ighalo's loan, nobody would've complained and it would've made sense. Would've had time to get match fit etc. Instead we do it on deadline day in October, meaning he likely won't be match fit until late October/after next international break.

dogwithabone

To be honest we need a bit of stardust and Cavani ticks that box. We have some genuinely great footballers but I’m not sure any of them - until now - have that little bit of something that the likes of Cavani possess.

You wait until he gets his first goal in front of a packed Stratford End, the roof will come off Old Trafford. He looks the part, has swagger and will work his nuts off. He’s not for the long term but could just add that bit of swashbuckling glamour that’s missing at the minute.

Yes, he’s a risk and could be another Falcao but equally he could be Cantona like and be the catalyst that changes the direction of our season. I wouldn’t write him off and look forward to seeing what he can do.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hes no worse or better in the center, he's only better on the left because he wants to also cut in and shoot, and he not been great on the left for a while.
He’s worse on the right than on the left, so no point moving him there

United Hobbit

We did inquire earlier but his wage demands put us off. It also put off Juve and Athletico.
I reckon he realised no was going to pay him 10m/yr and decided to lower his demands once Juve bought Morata and Suarez moved to Athletico.
Hopefully it's the case that he's lowered his demands not that we have given him what he wants! Italy would have been a slower, easier league for him.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Does the #7 suddenly have a sacred meaning? Was such a fuss kicked up when Valencia or Owen took it up?

It's a shirt number, goddammit. Chill out.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Cafe poster - "what can I be angry about today?"

Random thought in head - "the shirt number?"

Cafe poster - "yeah! Absolute fkn joke of a club!"

Berbaclass

Similar quality to Falcao, similar injury record last two years to Falcao. I am not against the signing at all, free transfer, a winner with right attitude, experience....short term decent signing though a gamble as he could be finished.

What I do have a problem with, is why on earth is he being given the number 7 shirt, that is a disgrace. Seriously, anybody under the age of 20 probably has almost no idea of the importance of that shirt, its being lost
Falcao is a lazy comparison. Falcao was recovering from a career-threatening injury. Cavani isn't.

lilcurt

Grow up FFS :lol:
Who are you telling to grow up pal. I've been a supporter of this club for over 30 years, I have the right to vent when I see the club I love, that I have invested passion and 10's of thousands of pounds in terms of tickets and merchandise is going to shit because we have money grabbing owners and bank managers in the board room.

mattsville

We needed a proper CF, the forwards we have are mostly "runners", Rashford dropping deep 60 yards from goal then running at the opposition often tripping himself up or running into defenders with limited positional instinct in the box, Martial, drops deep runs at defenders with limited success and has very little positional box instinct, we need something to aim at, something link up play with intelligence, we have a very young front line I think it needed an experienced player to help it gel, interested to hear Ole's view on the signing, there are so many on here suggesting he is a backup option, I think he will be the main man in our attack with the likes of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood playing off him, since when does our number 7 sit on the bench, I think the intentions for his time here are obvious.

Infra-red

Probably better than Ighalo and will hopefully do a job off the bench. Might also teach Martial/Rashford a thing or two about how to play as a #9.

Berbaclass

Who are you telling to grow up pal. I've been a supporter of this club for over 30 years, I have the right to vent when I see the club I love, that I have invested passion and 10's of thousands of pounds in terms of tickets and merchandise is going to shit because we have money grabbing owners and bank managers in the board room.
You pal obviously because I quoted your message. Stop being a drama queen :rolleyes:

el3mel

Physically wise Cavani is built up to play in such a tough league like Premier League, if he's fit and running, I'm pretty sure he'll adapt fast and will have no problem smashing it. Being fit is the only question but I'm optimistic.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Does he still play for Uruguay or did he retire?