Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

red4ever 79

I have no idea of how big a last pay day he wants but considering he doesn’t have a club yet I’m guessing those demands have dropped significantly, hence the interest.
no more like we are fecking desperate with two days to go. reputable journalists like Romano quoted he wanted large agent fees a two year deal and high wages and bingo! Here comes Ed on his white horse. What a fecked up club

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This is a fair assessment for me, even if I don't fully agree with it. I think there will be days where he'll genuinely be our best striker option, and he's a very different kind of striker compared to Martial, which to me is a huge plus (as it offers us versatility). If Martial can't handle competition, then that's completely on him. Right now, no one is challenging him for that position, and he has had a poor start to the season.
Should've added that Cavani's off the ball movement opens up acres of space for any able and intelligent runners around him. Bruno will find he has more room and chances to shoot trailing Cavani. Both Rashford and Greenwood can also piggyback off his movement.

Still, this is a signing we shouldn't have forced ourself to be in the position to make. Any notion there was a masterplan in place behind our end to the window is blown out of the water with this signing.

The wage he will be on demands he be one of our elite performers. Elite Cavani hasn't been seen for a few years now, so what are we playing at?

FizzyWomack

In a few weeks time, a big majority will start blaming Ole yet again and I'll be one of the few defending him again so don't give me that "back the team" BS!
Don’t give it the big one to me . I’ll tell you to back the team if I think you’re not.

The quote wasn’t directed at you. I said we need to get behind the team.

I will be backing Ole all the way, it’s only the Idiots that won’t be.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Suggests it may be a 1+1?
So long as this is replacement for Ighalo, it makes good sense, and Im fine with it. Cavani is a thoroughbred and professional in elite world football, albeit at the very end of his career.
Good example for our young ones to learn from, and should be able to do well as impact sub, against lower teams and cup games.

zenith

Ed Woodward to dumb door knob. May more verbal abuses flow your way.

Ace Krampus

One of my favorite players to watch for the last ten years, hopefully he's got a little left in the tank for a parting salvo.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
So long as this is replacement for Ighalo, it makes good sense, and Im fine with it. Cavani is a thoroughbred and professional in elite world football, albeit at the very end of his career.
Good example for our young ones to learn from, and should be able to do well as impact sub, against lower teams and cup games.
Exactly. It's a solid signing.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Type of signing that has the likes of us and Milan where we are.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I have no idea of how big a last pay day he wants but considering he doesn’t have a club yet I’m guessing those demands have dropped significantly, hence the interest.
I would think it's the opposite: we're desperate, which gives him leverage. His options in Europe were null, but going off to China, Qatar etc. was open as a last resort.

Cavani's camp very probably cannot believe their luck.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
First we promise that we're looking at long term. Then we bring Ighalo on loan and on huge salaries as a short term fix. Few months after we renew Ighalo's contract till January we bring Cavani (injury prone in his 30s) as a short term fix to score the goals our previous short term fix signings could score.

Trust the process indeed.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm perplexed by the delusion many are showing in this thread. Are you guys that desperate to clutch at any possible positives or are you being genuine in your admiration for Cavani?

I'd have no problem with this signing after an efficient and proper transfer window, in which we had sorted our main issues within the squad and were looking for valuable deals in the last days.

It's just failure after failure for Woodward, Judge and everyone else responsible. Must be nice to be a millionaire and totally suck at the most important aspect of your job.
Yep, context matters.

Last January we went for Josh King and ended up with an on-loan Ighalo as our backup striker. In that context, replacing Ighalo with Cavani on a free transfer is fine.

However, in the context of Cavani being only the second signing we've managed to complete in the final days of a window in which we badly needed to strengthen, it isn't fine at all.

And if we look at this window in the context of multiple summers in a row in which we've failed to secure the desired number of signings, it's even worse.

DoomSlayer

Think you need to have a rest, not everyone thinks the same as you.
Who would you have bought?
I'm well rested, pal, thanks for your concern.

I would have bough a right-sided attacker, preferably left-footed, and a CB or LB, because we only have one player that is natural to the position.

mu4c_20le

I've warmed to the idea. No better Ighalo replacement really, and he's played out wide for psg before

Bratt

This is just depressing.
Really can’t believe Ole wants this signing to happen. Let’s hope for a failed medical.

lex talionis

Goldbridge is in full meltdown mode.

I’m ok with Cavani, who provides cover we need for Martial, provided we bring in Sancho, which seems pretty clear now we will.

Chief123

One of my favorite players to watch for the last ten years, hopefully he's got a little left in the tank for a parting salvo.
Rooney was one of my favourite players to watch but I wouldn’t sign him now.

I absolutely can’t wait to see Cavani play for us. Yeah over the moon. Close thread.

ti vu

Good signing if it was one of four or five this summer. Like Thiago Silva for Chelsea.

If we get Sancho and Telles in, then this is perfect. If there is nothing else happening, then clearly this is ED in panick mode after seeing the CL draw and realising that we will lose millions if we don't make it to the knockout phase.
PSG tried to retain him, but he chose to go. He still played well. Not having injury riddled season. Had other option beside Chelsea to choose.

Cavani is the opposite in every point there.

RonaldoVII

Because the wages have been reported to be 200k/week, which is not cheap but not absurd either (Ighalo is on 130k/week). I don't know the agent fees, etc.

Considering that our attacking players (starters) are on the younger side, I think it makes sense to bring in a veteran striker as a backup. Who do you think we should have signed as a backup instead?
200k a week for an aging squad player seems madness to me. Ighalo's is bad enough. My backup strikers would be Rashford and Greenwood and use the Cavani money to get the Sancho deal done. I'd prefer to strengthen RW/LB/CB than a backup striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.