Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember the geese

I honestly do not understand your transfer strategy this window. You don't need a striker nor did you need the Dutch guy really. You are focusing on areas you dont really need improving and neglecting the areas you need investment.
We need a striker to compete with Martial. Ighalo is gone in January. Van de Beek is a quality addition who adds depth. It will be nice not to run Pogba and Fernandes into the ground. However yes, despite this, we do need to address other areas too.

DoomSlayer

I honestly do not understand your transfer strategy this window. You don't need a striker nor did you need the Dutch guy really. You are focusing on areas you dont really need improving and neglecting the areas you need investment.
Feck me, if you are the one talking sense here, we must really be fecked as a club. Things don't get much more obvious than this, but somehow we still have fans that are ready for another huge disappointment.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Depends though doesn’t it, Kane is at Spurs and knows he won’t be paid as well unless he he moves to other clubs, if he does he will be one of the highest, Mane and Salah moved to Liverpool at a time when they didn’t warrant top wages, again they move now and they will comfortably be on high wages.

Were in a different position and have to pay because of it or we get someone with less quality and experience.
But the appreciating wage is in line with players who justify it, which is where all of those could move to teams up the pay-scale and get more than they currently do. Cavani is not on that trajectory as a player who is losing a number of attributes that made him what he was and had him paid accordingly. We're going to pay him a wage he can't get anywhere else in Europe because we're desperate and have had to last ditch in a window in which we've had even more time (via lockdown) to prepare for.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
In no way has our first XI strengthened, but our squad will. I agree with you though, I think too much faith is being shown in players like Shaw, Lindelöf and Matić who I feel are the most obvious players to upgrade.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Brace yourself, the moaners are coming...
People are comparing it to the Sancho transfer and venting their frustrations about that on this. Although there's been plenty of rumours of us wanting a forward as well, they're not related at all.

But that's is the problem! RW, LB and DM should have happened, why are we wasting money on the likes of Cavani when we can get Telles who is more important to the balance of our squad?

We have Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and Ighalo who can all play as striker, even if the levels are different. We have Shaw as the only natural left-footed left back. We only have Matic as the established natural DM. We don't have a natural RW, Greenwood is a generational talent and he is so good that he can play in any position across the attacking front. So what's the fecking point in wasting so much money on fecking Cavani???
Awful post, really bad.

Ref Cavani and Telles - the two things aren’t linked. Calm down.

you mention that Rashford, Martial, a Greenwood and Ighalo can all play as a striker, and use this as a reason why Cavani isn't needed.

Yet, you don’t seem to have worked out that three out of four of those players start in our best 11, and the other goes in January. We literally have zero cover.

0le

Feck me, if you are the one talking sense here, we must really be fecked as a club. Things don't get much more obvious than this, but somehow we still have fans that are ready for another huge disappointment.
So the implication of your opinion is that you are happy to rely on Ighalo, Lingard, Mata, Pereira and James in the CL?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This window was meant to be a step at closing the gap to Liverpool. Not in one go and to overtake them immediately as that is just fantasy stuff. But the goal was to close the gap.

So far they have added a back up left back, Thiago and Jota.

If anything the gap is wider now than it was 3 months ago. Any fan trying to pretend it's not is kidding themselves.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
How do you not understand it? Last season we had an incredible record after Bruno, but limped over the line to CL because we couldn't rotate. Now we have 2 high quality rotation options and still trying our hardest for one big target in Sancho. It's probably the most coherent strategy in a long time.

crossy1686

career ending
I think if you look both say Cavani requested the figure, not that we agreed to it.

There was then subsequent reports saying we had agreed a 'very good deal'
I've seen a few reports that have said 'huge fee's' and Mitten said the other day that he was offered to us a while back and we refused after a source at the club told him Cavani wanted "Huge wages and one of the stands naming after him", exaggeration of course but that's what the club told Mitten. So something has give there...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
19/20: 5 goals, 1 assist in 732 minutes across league and CL - goal contribution every 122 minutes
18/19: 20 goals, 6 assists in 2091 minutes across league and CL - goal contribution every 80 minutes
17/18: 35 goals, 7 assists in 3269 minutes across league and CL - goal contribution every 78 minutes

His goal contribution rates dropped last season, but that's because over half his appearances were off the bench. Even so, he still provided plenty of end product for the time he was on the pitch.
For what he'll cost, it's a pre-requisite that he delivers at a rate it's questionable he can deliver upon, which is why he's still on the market.

Cavani of 2018 on a free would've been one of the first signings made at the opening of a transfer window.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
*say it quietly*

I can't wait to see him in a Utd shirt.

Yes, he's past his best and injury prone, but we're not having him as an Ibra style signing (aka our first choice striker).

He's 10000000 times the threat off the bench than ighalo, great UCL experience in a squad that's lacking that and a terrific example to developing players. Top signing. Shut up haters.

DoomSlayer

Awful post, really bad.

Ref Cavani and Telles - the two things aren’t linked. Calm down.

you mention that Rashford, Martial, a Greenwood and Ighalo can all play as a striker, and use this as a reason why Cavani isn't needed.

Yet, you don’t seem to have worked out that three out of four of those players start in our best 11, and the other goes in January. We literally have zero cover.
What cover do we have for LB? DM? RW? CB?

0 natural right-sided forwards, 1 natural left-footed LB and one natural DM in the whole squad, many CBs but most are useless or injury prone so we don't have proper reliability there either. But no, let's spend tens of millions on a declining and injury prone striker, who might not even fit well with the squad. Can't wait.

0le

His injury record is the biggest concern but 1+1 contract softens the blow for me. I don't think he'll be particularly great but he will be better than Ighalo. You can't help but feel it smacks of desperation though, but if it improves the team then so be it.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
You don't pay obscene amounts of money for players to "fill in". It's like some of you lot have no sense of how much money this club has wasted and continues to waste.

After all the failed stupid signings we've made, suddenly this one will be a massive success in a crucial year for the long-term progress of our club. Yeah, of course, whatever you fecking say.
Okay then, since you have the answers who should we have gotten instead?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Symbol of modern football. Analysing transfers to the ridiculous degree.

I'm excited to see Cavani play for Utd

Shoot me.

In what world do we need a striker, when we have 4 players in the first team squad that can play that position?
come February when Ighalo has left and we need to bring on a striker because we are losing, who exactly do we bring on?

a very reasonable assumption is the Greenwood, Rashford and Martial are already on the pitch?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The level of delusion in this thread is something to behold. He started 7 league games last year, his injury record the last 2 years is bad, he's been a free agent all summer and nobody wants him. We'll be blowing a serious amount of dough for a guy to be in the physio room all season. We'll be lucky if he gets 5 league goals. This whole fiasco is a perfect encapsulation of the club under Woodward.
We'll revisit this post in a few months.

crossy1686

career ending
So Cavani isn't joining to sit on the bench is he? So Martial is the one that suffers from this signing, or he's get's pushed back out to the left and Rashford get's dropped.

Ollie Derbyshire

But the appreciating wage is in line with players who justify it, which is where all of those could move to teams up the pay-scale and get more than they currently do. Cavani is not on that trajectory as a player who is losing a number of attributes that made him what he was and had him paid accordingly. We're going to pay him a wage he can't get anywhere else in Europe because we're desperate and have had to last ditch in a window in which we've had even more time (via lockdown) to prepare for.
We don’t know what we’re paying him yet and I was comparing him to other leading forwards like you said.

DoomSlayer

So the implication of your opinion is that you are happy to rely on Ighalo, Lingard, Mata, Pereira and James in the CL?
Pereira is gone and no - my implication is we should have strengthened the positions with the highest priority? Is that clearer for you or do I need to simplify it further?

Ollie Derbyshire

So Cavani isn't joining to sit on the bench is he? So Martial is the one that suffers from this signing, or he's get's pushed back out to the left and Rashford get's dropped.
Where’s this nugget come from? You think he’s joining to be a starter.

Idxomer

I imagine he's coming to rotate during the cups and maybe he would allow for some flexibility in formations.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Considering VDB hasn't started a PL game, I would say that Solksjaer stays loyal to his trusted players so I think Martial will stay first choice unless Cavani is simply too good not to start.

DoomSlayer

come February when Ighalo has left and we need to bring on a striker because we are losing, who exactly do we bring on?

a very reasonable assumption is the Greenwood, Rashford and Martial are already on the pitch?
If we bought a RW instead, who knows who plays and who is on the bench. But we would have far better balance in the squad and it would be better management of resources if we looked for a stop gap in January rather than now, 2 days before the window ends and when we were supposed to look at first 11 signings.

OrcaFat

He was offered to us a few days back by his agents, so we weren't even considering him up to that point. It doesn't surprise me that we decided to act on him (given that Ighalo will leave in January), but I'd have hoped for Ole to ask for more options rather than merely accept Cavani.
Yes, I confirm, he asked for more options, in several positions. People think I’m joking or plain wrong when I say this but Ed Buys Players Nobody Wants.

Now, when I’ve said this in the past, I met with posters sticking up for Ed and arguing that the manager has the final say. To me this is a classic case of the manager wanting one thing and being offered something very different and being faced with a choice of (say) Cavani or nobody. This is, broadly, the SHIT our managers have to put up with.

Anyone who says Ole should be sacked for signing this guy (instead of Sancho, Mbappe or any-fricking-body) should be committed.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
How many minutes has Ighalo played since we extended?
A staggering 70 minutes in EL and EPL all together. Have no idea how people can't comprehend your argument about this. There was no reason to pay loan fee to Shangai, pay Ighalo wages and extend his loan only to take Cavani at the end of this transfer window when he was available just 30 days after we extended Ighalo's loan.

That is poor planning and pissing money away once again. Also, a perfectly valid criticism.

As for Cavani wish him all the best.

crossy1686

career ending
Considering VDB hasn't started a PL game, I would say that Solksjaer stays loyal to his trusted players so I think Martial will stay first choice unless Cavani is simply too good not to start.
We're stocked in the middle so it's easy to break VDB in slowly but Cavani obviously still feel's he's elite, he isn't going to sit on the bench and be happy about it.

Bondi77

In what world do we need a striker, when we have 4 players in the first team squad that can play that position?
But which ones are good at it?
Martial is still adapting
Rashford is not good centrally
As yet have not seen Mason play there
Ole only plays Ighalo there in meaningless Cup games.

Status
Not open for further replies.