Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir

Should Manchester United's planning be a lot better? Definitely. But sometimes you have to seize upon opportunities when they are correct for you.
Problem is, the opportunity has been around for months and we haven't bothered doiong anything with it.

I don't think people have an issue with signing Cavani as part of a plan. It's the lack of one. Or at least the lack of implementing one. The main reason to believe in what's been happening with the club for the last near two years - Solskjaer and all that - is that plan, that "Cultural reboot" slogan that's been repeated over and over. Then we go and do something that appears to oppose that, so people lose belief.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No we already have Phil the hole Jones taking up the physio bench.
He’s not a right sided attacker and if we manage to get him fit do we drop Martial and feck him off to sulksville yet again? Signing makes nose sense what so ever. We needed a right sided attacker, so Greenwood could then rotate and understudy Martial.
Window has been shite once more, United sure know how to get expectations up, then crush them. Donny should be a very good signing, but the club have spent far too long pissing about trying to get a discount on good players, so we’ve ended up with a striker who was good 3 years ago, it is now prone to breaking and has declined a lot over the last 2 seasons.
Why are you rewriting history ?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hope the younger forwards can learn from his movement. Martial especially

Butty19

Why do most on here think he’s going to be a back up player? He doesn’t strike me as someone who is happy to sit on the bench most weeks.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Are people for real in this thread? Cavani would be an excellent short term upgrade over Ighalo and allows us to focus on other areas for now. He gives us a different dimension to Martial and both Martial and Greenwood could learn lots from him. He's not being bought to be a long term starter, he's being bought to be a backup to Martial, and an fantastic one at that not to mention on a free transfer. Goodness me, the negativity..

Matriac

Why do most on here think he’s going to be a back up player? He doesn’t strike me as someone who is happy to sit on the bench most weeks.
If his alternative was to sit on the couch at home? Or start every week for Newcastle?

Red_toad

Why are you rewriting history ?
2017/18 he was good, 48 games 40 goals, then 33 - 23 and then 22- 7. If I’m rewriting history, then it’s all from his stats.
He’s been playing in a pretty piss weak league and I’d imagine he’ll get a lot more injuries at United, so the 200 odd days he’s missed in the last 2 seasons, will only increase.

Patchbeard

Always liked watching him in the CL, but then he is now 33 and didn't play much last season, so no idea if he's still got it or he's dropped off a clip! But hopefully he's still got it :devil:

Even including last season he has 103 goals in his last 114 starts+15 sub apps in Ligue 1 + CL. Also like the fact he dislikes Neymar.

georgipep

If we pay him £200kpw, his wage will be one of the biggest in the EPL.
How are we getting him on low wages? We are paying ridiculously high wages to a 33 year old.
Nobody else will pay him that.
First, you are quoting a number that hasn't been confirmed even remotely.
Second, £200k/week would not be even in top10 of highest paid in the Premier League.
Third, you continue on your factless claims to provide "an expert" opinion.
Get a grip, dude.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I am struggling to understand as to why we are haggling over 10m for Jadon but spending so much on this guy. Why do we need to pay his agent?

CG1010

This deal in isolation may not be very bad, provided he is motivated professional and not looking to just collect last paychecks.

But if this is meant to be only reinforcement this window then we are in for a long season.

Joseunited

Terrible signing, act of pure desperation from Ed in order to appease the fans. This one wont work Ed, if you dont deliver Sancho then Cavani wont suffice. Guy has been injured much of last season, mostly muscle injuries and at his age that's not a good sign. Cavani is the type of player that likes to get on the end of of crosses, get himself into the box, so that also goes against our style of play as we dont have wingers who can put in good crosses.

This stinks of being a Woodward signing rather than an Ole signing
An Ed signing :lol: .

Heinzesight

If it breeds competition for places up top then I’m all for it. As much as I like Ighalo...and appreciate he did well when he first came in...he’s looked a pile of wank in the glimpses we’ve seen since lockdown.

Just hope he can stay fit and put a few past PSG.

CG1010

If he is fit, I see him be involved like Michael Owen for us. Invariably get some minutes every game either coming on to chase the game or consolidate a lead. And start when we want to rest Martial in cups.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Are people for real in this thread? Cavani would be an excellent short term upgrade over Ighalo and allows us to focus on other areas for now. He gives us a different dimension to Martial and both Martial and Greenwood could learn lots from him. He's not being bought to be a long term starter, he's being bought to be a backup to Martial, and an fantastic one at that not to mention on a free transfer. Goodness me, the negativity..

Thing is mate that his first touch is trash!. He's the Uruguayan Lukaku!.

tombombadil

If he is fit, I see him be involved like Michael Owen for us. Invariably get some minutes every game either coming on to chase the game or consolidate a lead. And start when we want to rest Martial in cups.
Agreed. If we're lucky with his fitness, hopefully he can even give competition to Martial. When Martial is off form, give him a break and put Cavani in. Right now, we can't do that with Ighalo. Ole doesn't trust him enough for that.

Alemar

I heard Cavani had issues with Neymar regarding taking penalties: hopefully we don’t have the same here, as Bruno is proven in this regard, and we don’t need to change penalty taker

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
2017/18 he was good, 48 games 40 goals, then 33 - 23 and then 22- 7. If I’m rewriting history, then it’s all from his stats.
He’s been playing in a pretty piss weak league and I’d imagine he’ll get a lot more injuries at United, so the 200 odd days he’s missed in the last 2 seasons, will only increase.
23 in 33 didn't happen 3 years ago and the serious decline didn't happen 2 years ago.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It’s okay for Trump get fecked but for someone whom has been destroying my club for more than a decade isn’t?
Well for starters you didn’t say that, you said anyone unopposed to the Glazers you hope they die.

Secondly, no, as legitimate as it is to hate the Glazers for what they’ve done to the club it’s idiotic to try and align that to Trump.

tombombadil

I heard Cavani had issues with Neymar regarding taking penalties: hopefully we don’t have the same here, as Bruno is proven in this regard, and we don’t need to change penalty taker
I'm not sure if I remember this correctly, but that is partially because the manager mismanaged it. Partially it's because Neymar is a dick. Cavani was first choice. Neymar demanded it regardless. The coach refused to get involved and said he would let the players settle it. But I will admit I'm not sure if I remembered correctly.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Good we upgrade Ighalo, on the negative note this guy is panic buy. It doesn't meet Ole's criteria recruitment. You know it's a panic buy when the club only just trying going player who couldn't find a new club for 3 months. If he was part of the plan, we would have got him and let him train with us weeks/months ago but in reality he wasn't and counted as panic plan signing. In fact his personality is similar to Sanchez from what I read in PSG forum, loner, don't get along too well with other players, loves his money but still trying to give it all on the pitch. There is Sanchez vibes about him and it didn't work out too well between Sanchez and us.

Gopher Brown

Left field thought, maybe we're in for him because we might we signing Pellistri. Fellow Uruguayan, regarded as a legend at home, could be useful.

dove

Thing is mate that his first touch is trash!. He's the Uruguayan Lukaku!.
Other thing is, we are not signing him to be our first choice striker (I hope). As a backup striker, Cavani is more than good enough for any team I think, especially on a free for 1-2 seasons. It definitely wasn't our first choice option I would assume but we desperately need another striker and I think we could have done worse than Cavani.

Gordon S

I think the disappointment from not getting Sancho seeps into this transfer. Cavani on a free as an option from the bench is not the worst business a big club has ever done, but it is hugely disappointing when you are drooling all summer over players like Sancho, Upamecano, Reguilon, Daka and what not.
A lot of us genuinely believed that we would build on what we had last season, that we would improve and close the gap to the top teams but it feels like we are moving sideways more than anything else. First choice starting 11 is the same i would guess, but our bench is a wee bit stronger now.

CG1010

Cavani's injury record below. He really does have lots of niggles and injuries which is not a good sign vis-a-vis his longevity but thankfully no big injury like Falcao which can completely finish him (yet):

19/20groin strainJan 13, 2020Jan 30, 202017 days5
19/20Muscle InjuryDec 17, 2019Dec 30, 201913 days2
19/20IllDec 12, 2019Dec 16, 20194 days1
19/20Calf InjuryDec 6, 2019Dec 10, 20194 days1
19/20FitnessSep 19, 2019Oct 17, 201928 days5
19/20Hip InjuryAug 26, 2019Oct 17, 201952 days8
18/19RestApr 29, 2019May 1, 20192 days1
18/19FitnessApr 5, 2019Apr 5, 20190 days-
18/19Muscle InjuryMar 10, 2019Apr 4, 201925 days4
18/19Hamstring InjuryFeb 10, 2019Mar 3, 201921 days6
18/19Hamstring InjuryOct 26, 2018Nov 4, 20189 days2
18/19Muscle InjuryJul 1, 2018Aug 21, 201851 days3
17/18Hip problemsFeb 8, 2018Feb 12, 20184 days1
13/14Achilles tendon problemsFeb 3, 2014Feb 27, 201424 days5
12/13Minor KnockOct 25, 2012Nov 5, 201211 days4

In comparison Ibra was an absolute machine before he joined us. Unfortunately doesn't look like we would be able to compare them either:

17/18FitnessFeb 26, 2018Mar 19, 201821 days4
17/18Knee InjuryDec 25, 2017Feb 25, 201862 days13
16/17Cruciate Ligament InjuryApr 20, 2017Nov 16, 2017210 days29
15/16Abdominal StrainSep 10, 2015Sep 14, 20154 days1
15/16Knee ProblemsAug 6, 2015Aug 27, 201521 days3
14/15Heel painSep 22, 2014Nov 6, 201445 days9
13/14Torn muscle bundleApr 3, 2014Apr 28, 201425 days6
13/14Knee InjuryOct 10, 2013Oct 17, 20137 days-

CG1010

I think the disappointment from not getting Sancho seeps into this transfer. Cavani on a free as an option from the bench is not the worst business a big club has ever done, but it is hugely disappointing when you are drooling all summer over players like Sancho, Upamecano, Reguilon, Daka and what not.
A lot of us genuinely believed that we would build on what we had last season, that we would improve and close the gap to the top teams but it feels like we are moving sideways more than anything else. First choice starting 11 is the same i would guess, but our bench is a wee bit stronger now.
You have hit the mark here..

Absolutely, it’s just a shame so many fans appear unable to judge each transfer on it’s own merits. Both VDB and Cavani are decent moves in isolation.
Our transfer window as a whole though, in regards to catching Liverpool, has been utterly miserable so far.

clarkydaz

I am struggling to understand as to why we are haggling over 10m for Jadon but spending so much on this guy. Why do we need to pay his agent?
People need to realise this is where the bile in this thread comes from. Weve lowballed all summer our main target and out of nowhere throw 10m at a mercenary player/agent

If we had sancho it would be a good deal. If its at his expense its shockingly bad business

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Absolutely, it’s just a shame so many fans appear unable to judge each transfer on it’s own merits. Both VDB and Cavani are decent moves in isolation.
Our transfer window as a whole though, in regards to catching Liverpool, has been utterly miserable so far.
The chasm has widened. I’m at peace with it all by now. Not long before Liverpool get to 21.

tombombadil

Definitely looks like it right now. Unless we get Telles.

Lyng

If we had sancho it would be a good deal. If its at his expense its shockingly bad business
That is pretty much where I am at. In our current setup with the lack of supply for our striker he would be a waste. But if we add Sancho and Telles it's a whole different story. Cavani is very clinical when properly supplied.

Red_toad

23 in 33 didn't happen 3 years ago and the serious decline didn't happen 2 years ago.
Declined over 2 years does not mean it happened in 1 day exactly 2 years ago. His issues with injury started July 2018 and he has missed a lot of games since. Are you saying he’s as good now as he was in 2017/18? If so why did PSG replace him and let him go?

delerium

Not sure how Cavani fits Ole's philosophy of lightning fast strikers. PSG fans have called him "Caravani" for a while now...

Only good as a cup / depth option in my opinion, and his wages should match that requirement. Like for like replacement for Ighalo I think, but Ighalo is likely in better shape & having better attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.