Eduardo Camavinga / signs for Real Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatattack

We have Mejbri, Garner, Galbraith and possibly Van de Beek as up and coming central mid options.

We'll probably buy that Uruguayan defensive midfielder from Getafe too.

I just don't see Ole going after Camavinga, when he knows we'd be his 4th choice club, and knows all the big clubs will be after him.
:lol: Still banging that drum. :lol:

Champagne Football

Found it very worrying when it suggested his stats were even worse than Fred's so not an upgrade at all then
In a team like Getafe, stats would tend to be poor compared to the teams at the top for a midfielder.

Sander Berge would not have similar stats to Fabinho or Ndidi.

croadyman

In a team like Getafe, stats would tend to be poor compared to the teams at the top for a midfielder.

I guess the question is can we afford to take another punt on that kind of player

bosskeano

We have Mejbri, Garner, Galbraith and possibly Van de Beek as up and coming central mid options.

I just don't see Ole going after Camavinga, when he knows we'd be his 4th choice club, and knows all the big clubs will be after him.
Outside of Donny, Camavinga has proven he can play against men where the other guys are youth players who are yet to be proven. Hell, Camavinga has already been capped by France.

jesperjaap

Our youth players may be talented and up and coming....but they have what 2 or 3 first team appearances between them? They are simply prospects at the moment, talented or not. He has played nearly 70games and has 3 or 4 caps for possibly the best international side in the world at the moment. He is arguably the best teenage player in Europe. Its liek saying lets not sign Haaland as we have Hugill, McNeill and Martial. Camavinga has also by the way played more games than Haaland over the past two seasons. I think that is a very poor argument....where is there any evidence that we are his fourth choice club let alone Ole knowing this, please share?

Champagne Football

I guess the question is can we afford to take another punt on that kind of player
It's true, but it could be that Ole trusts the ability of the likes of Mejbri and Garner, and will just bring in an affordable solid midfield warrior, to rotate with McT and Fred in the pivot for now, to protect them from overload and fatigue.

Champagne Football

Our youth players may be talented and up and coming....but they have what 2 or 3 first team appearances between them? They are simply prospects at the moment, talented or not. He has played nearly 70games and has 3 or 4 caps for possibly the best international side in the world at the moment. He is arguably the best teenage player in Europe. Its liek saying lets not sign Haaland as we have Hugill, McNeill and Martial. Camavinga has also by the way played more games than Haaland over the past two seasons. I think that is a very poor argument....where is there any evidence that we are his fourth choice club let alone Ole knowing this, please share?
I agree with all of that, I would love to have him here, yes we should try, but Ole will be very aware that Camavinga will be the Frenkie De Jong/Haaland/De Ligt of this window.... And let's face it, half the caf were convinced we had an 80% chance of getting each one of those players when they were coming on the market in the past, so Ole will have his plan B's, and plan C's on stand-by.

Sometimes the Plan B's turn out to be better than the Plan A's, as was the case with James Maddison, when it seemed we'd spend 80+ million on him, but opted for Bruno instead due to straightforwardness of the deal. Only time will tell if buying Diallo and developing him was a better idea that spending outrageous money on Sancho.

I'd put our chances at 20% to land Camavinga, as I'd have Madrid and PSG as heavy favourites to land him.

jesperjaap

I agree with all of that, I would love to have him here, yes we should try, but Ole will be very aware that Camavinga will be the Frenkie De Jong/Haaland/De Ligt of this window.... And let's face it, half the caf were convinced we had an 80% chance of getting each one of those players when they were coming on the market in the past, so Ole will have his plan B's, and plan C's on stand-by.

Sometimes the Plan B's turn out to be better than the Plan A's, as was the case with James Maddison, when it seemed we'd spend 80+ million on him, but opted for Bruno instead due to straightforwardness of the deal. Only time will tell if buying Diallo and developing him was a better idea that spending outrageous money on Sancho.

I'd put our chances at 20% to land Camavinga, as I'd have Madrid and PSG as heavy favourites to land him.
Yes I totally agree with that. Of course the best young players are going to have the biggest choice of clubs and there are several examples of us missing out on first choice targets and then signing a gem over the years.

I dont however agree that because of that we shouldnt be trying to sign him. What I think the problem is ther,e is we simply havent acted quickly enough for several years now to secure first choice targets and the move on to other targets if not successful.....the Sancho saga last year a prime example, we let it drag on and on playing games and appeared to be rushing like mad men at the end of the window for other options before buying Amad.

There are lots of very good options of course this summer in central midfield. Camavinga is for me the best option, also maybe maybe not the English agent helps in this situation. I also dont feel so confident we will sign him but feel we should try and with haste.

Mark Pawelek

Found it very worrying when it suggested his stats were even worse than Fred's so not an upgrade at all then
Do you seriously expect an 18-year old player to have better stats than a 28-year old?

Apart from interceptions, and number of passes per match, Fred doesn't really have better stats than Camavinga.

Devil may care

Do you seriously expect an 18-year old player to have better stats than a 28-year old?

Apart from interceptions, and number of passes per match, Fred doesn't really have better stats than Camavinga.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the guy from Getafe.

justsomebloke

None of those players can provide what Camavinga can. He's almost the exact definition of what we need - defensively solid and at the same time hugely talented, a real all-round player. Don't really see the fuss about favorite clubs. If he signs with United, then we're by definition his first choice club, among the options he currently has.

passing-wind

Would prefer him to Arambarri but I have also heard that Camavinga has had a below par season.

Mark Pawelek

Well it was bolded 1 post above the one you quoted.
But it's still wrong. Arambarri has an entire thread to himself, plus there's a Matic alternatives thread. Finally: posters litter player specific threads with conversations about other players, all the time. Same people do most of it. Arambarri wasn't even being compared to Camavinga, he was compared to Fred!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People suddenly going off him because a kid has had a less than perfect season is utterly idiotic, if anything nows the time to strike.
It could be a sign he's not ready for the step up just yet.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
People suddenly going off him because a kid has had a less than perfect season is utterly idiotic, if anything nows the time to strike.
Fact is if the player gets too many kids and they are not ready to make the step up - it’s still the manager that gets the consequences of those transfers of losing his job.

I’m not saying I don’t want him - I’m just saying why Ole maybe hesitant of buying Sancho + other youngsters + the ones that return from loan or he has already in his squad.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm leaning more towards that side of the argument. There's definitely potential to be wrong, but I think if he would have surpassed his previous season, he'd be quoted at ridiculous prices. I do strongly think his potential is undeniable and I feel his mentality will help him achieve the most out of it as he can, but it's probably a good thing Rennes and him didn't follow through on their previous season because now it's not out of the question to get him for a reasonable fee.

bosskeano

If United are going to get him it will have to be this summer when Rennes will probably sell him for 40m. 4 or 5 years from now his price would be double what it is right now.

This kid has future start written all over him as he has all the talent in the world and the work rate to make himself even better.

Bojan Djordjic

If you're a midfielder that is measured in the 1st percentile of pass completions you can't blame that on the club you play for. That means you are a player that should be nowhere near Man United's squad never mind first team.

Bojan Djordjic

There's an opportunity here to sign a player with world class potential for below par price. Camavinga is refusing to sign a new contract with Rennes and is coming close to the end of his current one. Everyone know's the French clubs are in dire financial straits so there is an unusual amount of leverage for the buying club.

Personally, I love the look of this guy. Yes, he may have had a poorer season this year by his standards but the facts remain that statistically he remains an elite tackler, an elite carrier of the ball from deep and elite at shot creation. His passing is very tidy and his long passing his particularly good. This is now! He's 18. His progressive passing can and likely will improve as he gets older but he's doing so much right at the moment. The sky is the limit for this kid. I saw someone in the thread compare him to Davids but he reminds me so much more of David's midfield partner at Ajax, Seedorf. I just love the look of the guy and he hasn't even got his man-strength yet which should help him become even more competitive in duels.

kode

Hard to say at 18, Soumare was much much better this year and in term of physical presence he would adapt easier to the League.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There's an opportunity here to sign a player with world class potential for below par price. Camavinga is refusing to sign a new contract with Rennes and is coming close to the end of his current one. Everyone know's the French clubs are in dire financial straits so there is an unusual amount of leverage for the buying club.

Personally, I love the look of this guy. Yes, he may have had a poorer season this year by his standards but the facts remain that statistically he remains an elite tackler, an elite carrier of the ball from deep and elite at shot creation. His passing is very tidy and his long passing his particularly good. This is now! He's 18. His progressive passing can and likely will improve as he gets older but he's doing so much right at the moment. The sky is the limit for this kid. I saw someone in the thread compare him to Davids but he reminds me so much more of David's midfield partner at Ajax, Seedorf. I just love the look of the guy and he hasn't even got his man-strength yet which should help him become even more competitive in duels.
I agree, he reminds me of Seedorf aswell. Seedorf was a fantastic midfield player, who as a teenager was starting Champions League finals, and winning too. At the age of 22, he had started and won two Champions League titles at Ajax and Real Madrid.

Camavinga has alot to live upto but he's showing high potential. So needs to make the correct next step in his development.

Red_toad

Greenwood has had a poor season bar the last 2 months. It’s pretty normal for young players. He’s such a good player he’ll kick on and improve immensely

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Camavinga announced to Rennes that he did not want to extend. #Camavinga wants to go to PSG. The 2 clubs have already discussed together. Stade Rennais wants 100M €
Of course, if that truly ends up being the fee, it's hard to compete with nation state clubs/oligarch clubs. Just a huge shame that the biggest midfield talent in Europe would go to PSG.

bosskeano

Of course, if that truly ends up being the fee, it's hard to compete with nation state clubs/oligarch clubs. Just a huge shame that the biggest midfield talent in Europe would go to PSG.
if he has an entourage and they want 100 million euros then that's out our budget for sure. Maybe they are just demanding that much due to it being PSG and him staying in the french league.

we certainly don't want to deal with a player that has an entourage. That is a big reason why the Haaland deal didn't take place was the entourage holding our their hands for money,.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
if he has an entourage and they want 100 million euros then that's out our budget for sure. Maybe they are just demanding that much due to it being PSG and him staying in the french league.
Yeah, it's hard to believe really. On the one hand, he's an outstanding prospect so a hefty fee is in order, but 100m is crazy with a year left on his deal. At least when Real paid that, they thought they were getting a peak Hazard.

Would have thought he'd go for 50-60m tops. He's the one I was most hoping for, even if it was a long shot with Real interested.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I still say he goes for 50 tops with a year left. He can make around the same money and play in a much better league if he refuses to sign for PSG. I’d say this is just Rennes hoping for the best financial outcome - any kind of bidding war

Last edited:

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Rennes can ask for 100m, they're not getting it though. He's had an underwhelming year as well, should knock his price down.

Rennes can ask for 100m, they're not getting it though. He's had an underwhelming year as well, should knock his price down.
How many youngsters down the years have been hailed as the next great thing after their first full season and then fail to hit those heights again?

could this guy be the next Sanchez?

luke511

How many youngsters down the years have been hailed as the next great thing after their first full season and then fail to hit those heights again?

could this guy be the next Sanchez?
I don't think so. Sanches didn't excel statistically in any department at Benfica, whereas Camavinga won the most tackles per game in the top 5 leagues at 16/17 years old, that doesn't happen as a fluke/one off. Tackling is just one part of his game as well, he has the technical and passing ability along with it. He's a much better footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.