Eight games away from another disastrous season under Ole

MUFromLTU

Luckiest manager in the world:
- Worst xPTS vs actual points in top10, the team has 9 points less than we should,
- Had 2 long-term injuries to two best team players,
- 4 teams changed managers, we played 3 within 1-2 games after the managerial change, in their so-called honeymoon,
- All signings were successful.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If he fails to even make top 4 then I’m sure heads will roll, but let’s see what actually happens first.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
You see sir Alex influence? So e.g. someone that is inspired by Rinus Michels 4-3-3 has automatically help from Michel in the daily life? If you think Sir Alex has anything to do with Oles coaching other than being an inspiration, then you are mistaken. Ole is also inspired by Klopp, and other coaches. Does not mean that he gets any actual help from him about coaching. So many people still trying to make Ole small in here.
Nobody’s trying to make Ole seem small. It was actually me who @Deery was responding to and I was only trying to tell him that With Phelan on board, and Sir Alex himself behind the scenes, there is a certain influence of his coaching that is getting passed down to ensure that we go back to our roots.

Obviously Ole is adding his own to it all but it’s good to have such influence around. It’s certainly not inspiration.

Deery

Dreary
Rubbish. We’ve been without key players the entire season, what ‘individual brilliance’ are you speaking of? Martial? Ffs.

We’ve ground out results to get where we are, we’ve had poor spells which are directly affected by the injuries.

Recruitement is spot on and the football is better than it’s been since SAF. Yes better than Mourinho, yes better than LVG and yes better than Moyes (obviously.)
Whilst youth has been brought into the mix soundly, in keeping with our club philosophy.

It’s not even a defence of Ole, it’s a defence of the obvious.
Who tha feck would you sack Ole for right now?

It’s the first time since SAF that we can see the direction the club is headed, no short term fixes, long term planning and sound recruitment.

I’m sure some people just enjoy the feckin carousel of managers and the drama of it all.

We’ve been a feckin laughing stock these last 6 years, make no mistake, a joke.
Im fecked if I’m going to sack the one guy who at least is trying to put the pieces together and push the club in the right direction.

Put it this way, do you think Sancho would even consider moving to United if it wasn’t for Ole and what he represents as a manager who backs youth but also a manager who’s turning this juggernaut of a club out of the mire? Not a chance.

We’ve beaten the best clubs in the land, it’s consistency we’ve lacked, through additional talented recruitment that will follow.
We’ve spent close to £200m and had to loan in Ighalo because we started the season without a striker and we’re still in 5th place battling it out with the mighty Sheffield United, why are you so pleased?

El Zoido

The impact of injuries is always underestimated. We were ruined in the first half of the season.

Does anyone think City would be 20 points behinds with Laporte and Sane fit all season?

Leicester have been running on fumes since injuries to Ndidi, Vardy and Pereira have struck.

Liverpool have dropped points in 3 games all season, Salah didn't start in the two draws, Henderson and Gomez missed the loss to Watford.
Funny how injuries are never an excuse when it’s United, isn’t it?

OleTheGreat

I think we all knew this season was going to be a rough ride considering the squad we came into the season with. Ole has managed to eliminate the deadwood and bring that hunger back into the squad. He's done a good job in my reckoning. We need to be patient with him. With a couple or 3 more players from the summer window and we'll get back to the top. I'm still not very impressed with the way we play but I think it will get better as the team plays more together. We also need to figure out our best formation, which has been all over the place since SAF's 4-4-2 magic. Moyes was a disaster, Van Gaal was just comical with his management style and Jose just imposed his methods which totally didn't work with our players or our fans. Ole has come in and done better than them but I still think he's been changing formations to suit the game rather than imposing a method on the players and play that way regardless of the opposition. What I don't understand is why don't managers just train a certain way and build on attack and defense patterns like SAF or Pep did/do. We find it so difficult to build an attack and I'm tired players looking up every time they need to make a pass and we hardly play one-touch football which bugs me to the core. Every time in the world plays to their strengths and make quick-fire passes in the final third but we always tend to make sideways passes and the play is always very slow. If we need to get anywhere, I suppose we need to keep a set of players on the pitch and let each other learn about the movements and make fast penetrating passes and also our first touch and one-touch passing has to improve a great deal. Ole still has a lot of work to do to really get us back to winning the title ways.

YzWayne

I curious why some people has stated the Bruno factor was a cover up for Ole. Liverpool without VVD is also going to be a huge determine factor for the title. Same goes to City without KDB. Each team consists of influential player which can make the team click and so happens Bruno is our guy. Give time for the team to rebuild instead of changing manager like throwing paper towels. At least we are playing better football than LVG and Jose era I would say.

Fosu-Mens

It's literally not possible to be tactically poor with the the big game record he has.

Also, Maguire isn't suitable to play progressive football? He's probably the most progressive defender in the league. He constantly drives forward in to midfield, and is almost always looking for the forward pass. James as well. He might not ever be a first team player, but he has pace for days and has utilised it in the right areas plenty of times. AWB is a defence-first FB, but his attacking game was coming on well until the Covid-enforced break. These players aren't robots. They do have the ability to progress and regress and from what I can see, almost all of them are doing so under Ole.
He as used the same set up in big games as we did with JM.
Simplistic: Sitting deep, defending by numbers and counter-attacking is maybe the easiest tactic and approach on how to play to implement and coach.
Winning or being competent against low block teams would give us more points than winning a higher % of the big games...

Maguire cannot defend 1v1 with space. Pushing a high line and him not having cover or protection is dangerous and a weakness. He brings the ball forward and got a good touch, but he is not close to Laporte or VVD when it comes to passing over 5 meters. And he takes to long on the ball to make a decision.
James is the definition of a pace merchant and is not really effective without space.
AWB is not good when the team is in possession. The way he controls the ball makes it difficult for him to improve when in possession unless he radically changes the way he controls it. Not likely to happen.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Luckiest manager in the world:
- Worst xPTS vs actual points in top10, the team has 9 points less than we should,
- Had 2 long-term injuries to two best team players,
- 4 teams changed managers, we played 3 within 1-2 games after the managerial change, in their so-called honeymoon,
- All signings were successful.
Yeah. Very difficult to describe Ole as lucky this season.

Stacks

I’m not being funny but that’s only an interesting article if you’re looking for that type of article. As for the season.....when the transfer window shut in august, anyone who didn’t think we would struggle was deluded. That’s without losing Pogba, Martial and Rashford for huge parts of the season.

for me now is not the time to debate Ole, the time for that is next season. If we bring Sancho or similar in, and have a squad with Bruno, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho and still struggle to break teams down and win those games then I’d ask serious questions.

For now Ole is doing a good job of turning the tide. There’s no doubt about that. Removing context from the argument changes nothing.
I thought we would struggle for exactly this reason. Having only 2 established attackers in the whole squad and one creative midfielder was a disaster waiting to happen, especially when the 2 attackers rely on each other to be effective so as the poster says below, It's United's own fault and there's no point complaining now if we don't get 4th because we were only planning for the "perfect" outcome with everyone being fit all season etc.
It’s Uniteds own fault if we don’t get 4th place we knew what we were getting when we signed Ole, so there is no point complaining now.

The football hasn’t been very good at all and it won’t get any better either, it’s individual brilliance rather than good football getting us points.

But, we get a win tonight against Sheffield and we are in a good position to get 4th so let’s all get behind the team for the remaining games and forget these clickbait bullshit articles only designed to play on the insecurity of United fans..
Agree with your entire post word for word.

bsCallout

What are the clear improvements?
The atmosphere around the club. The talent in our squad. Less dead wood. Happy fans, happy players.

Great results against all the big teams. More progressive, forward thinking football.

And more, im sure.

All this despite a horrible injury record this season.

Gopher Brown

If we start accepting vague ideas of ‘transitional’ seasons we’re never going to win anything ever again.

With the resources available, and the quality we already have, the absolute minimum for every season is a league challenge and a CL place. If we don’t get top 4 this season, Ole needs to be replaced, but he will have failed in the primary objective. He was probably the right sort of manager to clear out Mourinho’s stink, but not to lead us to success.

If we accept ‘transitional seasons’ as an excuse we will look back in a few years and realise we’re Arsenal.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Despite that i still think that he is the worst manager in PL, he should be judged when season is finished.
Winning Uefa cup= successful season. Trophy plus CL spot. Ole deserves to get another season
Winning FA cup and 4th place= solid season. Ole stays

Everything else is disaster and reason for sacking. Even if we win "finishing 4th trophy".

Grande

If we start accepting vague ideas of ‘transitional’ seasons we’re never going to win anything ever again.

With the resources available, and the quality we already have, the absolute minimum for every season is a league challenge and a CL place. If we don’t get top 4 this season, Ole needs to be replaced, but he will have failed in the primary objective. He was probably the right sort of manager to clear out Mourinho’s stink, but not to lead us to success.

If we accept ‘transitional seasons’ as an excuse we will look back in a few years and realise we’re Arsenal.
Like we did in 1990, 1995, 2002, 2005?

Gopher Brown may not accept transitional seasons, but Alex Ferguson built his success on them (and in them). I know excuses exist, and I know transitions exist, and this season is pretty bloody obviously one marked by real transition.

Nickelodeon

I can understand the support Ole has with the fans but I can only see two types of posts. Either Ole has to go or he has to say. We have potentially 15 games to go which can have a major impact on whether our season would be considered a success or not. Even if not a massive amount, there needs to be pressure on the team to deliver.

Giving Ole a free pass on the basis of a feel good atmosphere and successful signings etc. makes sense only when we achieve success on the pitch. I believe that top 4 or reaching CL was the (bare minimum) criteria at the beginning of the season. Owing to various circumstances, I can see Ole staying even if we don't achieve top 4 but the next 2 months are absolutely crucial for it. Even if we don't finish in the top 4, we have a clear path to CL football through Europa. Failures across the league and Europa will quickly eliminate the feel good factor.

There are many people who are being treated as haters or knee-jerkers for the simple belief that this season would be a failure if we don't reach the CL and that another manager could come in and do a better job than Ole. Don't see why this is not a completely plausible point of view for a person to hold.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

And if you ignore reality and context you’ll be stuck in the same rinse and repeat stages of performing the transition that would have been easier to just accept is needed in the first place.

I’m honestly sick to death of seeing people will fully ignore the context that tough titties we are not CL guaranteed every season, nor are we entitled to any form of title challenge just because we are United.

It’s a sickening the level of wilful ignorance when you claim resources of which I assume you mean money when in reality all that matters is who is physically on the pitch.

Our average team has been the following:

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McTominay Fred
James Periera Rashford
Martial

We were bereft of creativity due to an injury to Pogba and now we have him and Bruno back you still have whiny individuals pining after an unrealistic expectation. Take the best player out of any side and they struggle. Add quality and they improve. It’s no coincidence that Liverpool have one of the best injury records in the league and look what happened when they lost Salah for a game...

We finally, for the first time in 7 years are one quality winger away from a good team with outstanding elements. Not necessarily a title winning side but something to enjoy and be proud of. Every member of our first XI with someone like Sancho would at least be a good option and a lot of them are great options when fit.

And yet you get people who want it all now. The arrogance and entitlement gives United fans a bad name when I believe the majority are realistic about our season.

It’s not been great because we haven’t had our best available. The fact that we are still in the mix for top3/4, in with a chance of winning the FA cup and Europa league is testament to what a good job he’s done with some bang average players at his disposal. All of his signings have been good or great and yet people would arbitrarily want Ole removed for failing to meet top 4?

Get a grip.

Grande

Despite that i still think that he is the worst manager in PL, he should be judged when season is finished.
Winning Uefa cup= successful season. Trophy plus CL spot. Ole deserves to get another season
Winning FA cup and 4th place= solid season. Ole stays

Everything else is disaster and reason for sacking. Even if we win "finishing 4th trophy".
I think you should look at results only, not at intangibles dependent on how other teams do as well. If Pogba is 6 ft 3 at the end of the season, we should give him a WR contract. If he is 6 ft 2 we should sell him, and if he turns out to be 6 ft 1, we should give him away for free or wrap some cellophane around him and try to exchange him for a lamp at Harrods.

Mindhunter

So to ensure we don’t have transition seasons, you want to transition the manager? How has that approach worked till now?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its squeaky bum time. There is only so far you can go with making excuses. Lets face it if he was any other manager he would have been sacked. Now we face what is on paper winnable games. But they are the exact games where we have failed all season. the teams that play a low block and fight hard. Its also an opportunity for the players to stand up and be counted. Even if Ole is sht they are better than the teams they face and they should go out and prove it no matter the tactics.
Ole has been great at forming a bond between the players. Getting rid of the toxicity. Getting players that are actually likable and also a team that looks like it can compete with any team. And we have faced all the top teams and done amazingly. So no matter what happens he has done a

The term 'in transition' has become massively overused in football in the last decade or so. In most cases it simply means that the team in question arent very good right now. Maybe they lost a key player or two. Maybe sacked a long serving manager. It's always called being 'in transition'.

United are (were) not in transition. I would prefer to say that United needed a rebuild.

3 managers in a row had failed (to varying degrees). Theyd all spent a lot of money and most of those signings hadn't worked. Our spend on the squad was out of control, there were clearly bad eggs in the dressing room and the players didn't look particularly happy or united. When Jose was sacked the club - or more accurately the squad - was in a very bad state.

I think since that time the memory of how desperate our situation was has faded to an extent, but make no mistake it was recognised by the club that we had lost our way. This season wasnt a transitional one. It was a 'this situation is fked and we need to do whatever is necessary' one. The result of that was that we were very likely to have a difficult season, even without the injuries to key players.

Everything Ole and the club are doing is geared towards the next 5 or 10 years. Long term decisions. So far they are nailing it, but still we have so many people who want to tear that down if we dont get top 4 in a season where we never expected to.

There is far more evidence to suggest that we should let this plan breath than there is to suggest that it will fail and we should start over.

Gum_gum

The atmosphere around the club. The talent in our squad. Less dead wood. Happy fans, happy players.

Great results against all the big teams. More progressive, forward thinking football.

And more, im sure.

All this despite a horrible injury record this season.
I find it strange the first thing you mention would be the dressin' room. Seems a low standard.

We had good results against the big teams with LVG and even more so with Jose. The reason we continue to have good results against them this year is...

We do not play a more progressive, forward thinkin' style of football. We just don't. We sit back and counter against the big teams which works because they give us space and allow us to play to our strengths. Same as under Jose. Low block and counter.
Except now its a great defensive performance whereas before it was torrid football.

Horrific injury record? Really? Our defence has been pretty stable all season save for a spell with AWB on the sidelines. And Martial and Rash weren't injured at the same time. Its not been that bad but I'm sure you'd disagree so you can disregard this last point.

AFC NimbleThumb

It’s no surprise since adding Bruno we’ve seen an upturn in form but I’d barely call this an OgS tactical masterstroke either.

Prior to our current run I’m still uncertain as to what our style of play is under OgS & aside from give the ball to Bruno I’m not sure what it is now.

I looked at Chelsea’s side on Sunday & I simply don’t get fans praising OgS so highly this season; I came into the season with no expectations other than hopefully the beginning of an identity tactically & I still can’t see one.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think you should look at results only, not at intangibles dependent on how other teams do as well. If Pogba is 6 ft 3 at the end of the season, we should give him a WR contract. If he is 6 ft 2 we should sell him, and if he turns out to be 6 ft 1, we should give him away for free or wrap some cellophane around him and try to exchange him for a lamp at Harrods.
Maybe they should start giving the Title to whoemever plays the most beautiful football, kinda like ... I don't know... beauty peagant?

Withnail

An interesting piece in F365 this morning about how terrible this season has been for us, if it wasn't for the decent run after Fernandes joined who knows what situation we would be in. We need 19 points from our last 24 available just to beat our worst ever Premier League total which was achieved under Moyes. If we don't match that then surely something has to be done?

https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-and-solskjaer-have-eight-games-to-avoid-disaster

That is bizarre logic.

What about if Pogba, Mc Tominay and Rashford never got injured and Martial scored 35 goals? Where would we be then?

You can't just pick something so integral to our season, make-believe it didn't happen and extrapolate a negative scenario.

Moyes' results aren't in any way comparable as he inherited the reigning PL champions.

Recruitment has been good, all of the players are fit. The signs are we can go on a decent run and top 4 is still possible after a poor first half of the season.

With the chances of the squad improving further and some long-term gaps in the first team being filled in the Summer, I really don't understand the obsession with doom and gloom at this point of the season.

Untd55

There is an undoubted element of luck. This cannot be denied.

- Chelsea Transfer Ban. If they had a transfer window, we probably wouldn't even be near 4th. Also, lost Hazard in the same season. (If they had him, we would certainly have not got top four)
- Tottenham and Arsenal have been a lot worse than in the previous year. He has come in at a moment where the poor quality of the opposition has somewhat covered over his weaknesses; others are still pretty obvious to see.

Solskjaer has benefited from the league being a lot weaker than the previous seasons. Our points total is awful; in any other season, we wouldn't even be in contention for top four.

In the previous season, 71 points were needed to get top four (It was even higher in the three seasons before). We can't even get that this season with winning all our remaining games (which we won't). That shows how much the Premier league has weakened this season.

We will have to win 6/8 games to match Moyes record and that was only enough to get 7th back in 13/14, which was considered a diabolical season. It shows how weak the Premier League is this season.

People saying Solskjaer has done a 'great' job are really exaggerating. Our signings have not completely been tested, and some are showing some massive deficiencies (Maguire - slow as hell [remember, he is supposed to be an £80m defender]; Bissaka - poor in attack; James - pretty useless). Our results have been nothing short of dreadful (nobody can argue against this).

Solskjaer has a lot to do before he can be considered good enough. There are not injury excuses now. We have spent £200m, a lot more than Chelsea's £0 this season, so should have the advantage. We have Fernandes now. If he cannot get consistent results until the end of the season with all that, then I don't think anyone can argue that he should stay.

Shark

@NotShark
Everything Ole and the club are doing is geared towards the next 5 or 10 years. Long term decisions. So far they are nailing it, but still we have so many people who want to tear that down if we dont get top 4 in a season where we never expected to.
Who said we were never expected to get top four other than those that will make every excuse to keep a legend in the job? Many of us did expect minium 4th place this season when you look at Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea being as bad as they've been in a long while and one of them even having a transfer ban. If he's not expected to get us into the CL now, well then when will he be and what was the point in bringing in players like Fernandes in January if not to help get us back to where the club belongs. Fans are living in a fairly land if they think Woodward will take no CL football again next season lightly and believe Ole will be given what David Moyes wasn't. It's a results business at the end the the day and we're talking about a manager that's going to be expected to also challenge for titles in the coming years.

He'sRaldo

I think that while you're right, wouldn't it also make sense to get a better manager to take over from Ole now that the recruitment and current first 11 seems to be just about sorted, pending a few transfers?

I always thought that even as permanent manager, Ole's job would be to set us onto the right path and even if he isn't the one to complete the journey, he'll have been a success. I think he's doing that right now. The danger however, is that he could be kept for too long and the momentum we build with having prime players like Pogba, Fernandes, Maguire, etc squandered if Ole isn't able to eventually win anything of significance.

So while I do understand the loyalty to Ole, shouldn't there be a point where we proactively think of making that transition, instead of waiting for something to happen and then reacting to it? I mean if you do think Ole's the man to topple the best managers and lead us to PL and/or CL glory, then fair enough, but since that is admittedly doubtful right now, shouldn't we be planning ahead for the very near future?

SirFergie

Ole can't secure Top4, he just can't. Last season the excuse was that City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea were too consistent and benefited from a stable season, unlike Mou's horrendous autumn 2018 with Utd.

What's the excuse this year? A solid Leicester and Lampard the newbie prevented Utd from Top4? Even Top5-6 is not secured with Wolves, Sheffield or even Palace in hot pursuit. Even Spurs and Arse could turn things around and finish 5th and 6th.

Ole must win this EL, or be sacked, simple as that. Not another EL season for 2020-21, please.
Well, let the season end before you have him sacked...

siw2007

Barring some absolute collapse over the next 8 games or so, we shouldn't sack Ole. I'm a little sceptical whether he is the man to deliver the premier league to the club but there is no doubt in my mind that he is improving the team, and while he is doing this, he should keep the job. If there comes a point where he can no longer take the team forwards, then a decision will be made but that is not this point.

We have to consider at the start of the season we had a paper thin squad and were probably not in the best 4 teams in the country. Can't believe how many people underestimate Chelsea, yes they lost hazard but were a more experienced and settled team than we were, and had better strength in depth it was no surprise they have been ahead of us, the fact that we have closed the gap and have a chance at overhauling them is credit to the improvements in the team over the year.

It would be disappointing if at the end of the 8 games we aren't in the top 4, it has been very competitive at the top end this year. We shouldn't let our ambition to get back to the top turn from a burning desire into an unhealthy obsession, at this point we would be asking managers all the time looking for instant gratification when there is none to be had. We should focus on improving the product on the pitch, which is what we are doing, and believe that it leads us to the top. If we can keep focussing on developing the team, and closing that gap we will get there.

jackal&hyde

It's been a throwaway season since the Summer window ended imo, was always going to be a bit rough.

1. Started the season replacing 2 of our starting back 5. That took its toll on our defense and we leaked goals, it took till game 19 for us to reach 3 clean sheets, we're on game 30 and now have 7.
2. Only had 2 senior strikers and unfortunately combined they've missed 13 PL games. When both play our goals per game is 1.9, when one is missing our goals per game is 1.0. The failure to sign a replacement for Lukaku hit us hard.
3. Pogba being out 22 games has been a big, big blow. He was our creative hub since joining us and we've had to attempt to replace him with failed projects in Lingard and Pereira. It was only when we finally got Bruno in did this ease.

No doubt Ole has improved a number of our players though, his signings have been quality and our defense has settled and looks more comfortable. This has been a problematic season and we were very unfortunate Covid happened when it did given our run of form. But we're heading in the right direction and it's taken 3 sacked Managers to reach this point. Credit to Ole to being able to build a decent team, now hopefully we can trim more of the deadwood and continue the rebuild in the Summer.
I agree on every point. Top post.

EwanI Ted

Our finishes before this year were 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 6th, so two top four finishes in six seasons. Last year we were 32 points off the title. This season we're 37 points behind. So lets be realistic about where our squad is right now. We're not a really a top four team and certainly not a title challenging team. Whether we wish it different or not, thats where United are right now.

Not only that, we're an era of much carefully assembled teams. City's team was being assembled to a template long before Pep actually arrived. It took Klopp 3 full seasons before his team hit their stride, 5 to actually win the league. Both spent a lot of money for sure, but they did so with a very clear vision in mind and did it over several years. That's just how football is right now. Its so tactical, with such high levels of fitness required and so much money in the hands of even mid-table teams, the days of being able to use money to blitz away any problems are long gone. Whoever the manager is, it'll take several seasons to build a new team, so genuine transitional seasons are inevitable. What matter is whether we're improving year on year to a clear vision, or going backwards. If we're on the way up, then we just have to be patient and accept it takes time. If we're not, well, then the manager is failing and should probably go.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Also make no mistake if Mourinho had stayed last season we would easily have had our lowest ever points total. The only reason we didn’t is because Ole came in a made a massive difference putting together our best run since Fergie departed. It’s very convenient to lay all the blame back on Oles door now!

POF

He's doing a great job. He had an attack that was struggling to score enough. From there, he lost Lukaku, Sanchez and Herrera and got Dan James.

At the end of January, he finally got a squad that wasn't scandalously light by signing Bruno and Igalho and the team has been flying since.

He's worked hard on the culture in the squad and it's obvious to anyone who wants to see it that there is a genuinely good side developing at United.

SteveW

Whether we finish the season well or not it certainly won't be a disastrous season. The makeup and personality of the squad is much improved. The future is looking bright for the first time in years.

I expect this to translate to good results for the rest of the season and for this thread to be rendered completely pointless. OP seems to have missed the improved form in 2020.