Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Siorac

@RedSky I see what you mean about the trees, especially the sequence around 3mins :lol:

I just hope the open world doesn't hurt their usual high level design standards, and they've actually got some decent devs in to update the engine and it isn't all still tied to fps especially on PC.
I expect it will be capped at 60 fps like Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro and as such, physics will be tied to framerate. We know From aren't exactly wizards of graphics engine technology, even if they've come a long way since Dark Souls.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I expect it will be capped at 60 fps like Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro and as such, physics will be tied to framerate. We know From aren't exactly wizards of graphics engine technology, even if they've come a long way since Dark Souls.
From looking at the video for a bit, it's the same old collision/animation issues too. Oh well, let's face it we will still play the heck out of it :lol:

Redlambs

Yep. Fextra has played the test, he likes it but doesn't seem overly enthused by the demo though says he thinks they've held the more interesting stuff back. It's basically open world souls 3 with all the same mechanics an engine problems (not to mention animations!). Not that it's a bad thing of course, but it's still a bit lame as it's DS4 in all but name rather than a new world.

Magic is still easy mode too :lol:

Last edited:

Siorac

Yep. Fextra has played the test, he likes it but doesn't seem overly enthused by the demo though says he thinks they've held the more interesting stuff back. It's basically open world souls 3 with all the same mechanics an engine problems (not to mention animations!). Not that it's a bad thing of course, but it's still a bit lame as it's DS4 in all but name rather than a new world.

Magic is still easy mode too :lol:
Nothing unexpected there, unfortunately. The world can and might still feel fresh and new despite the technical stuff.

In DS3 I didn't really enjoy magic, the whole Ashen Estus concept made it a bit meh.

Redlambs

Nothing unexpected there, unfortunately. The world can and might still feel fresh and new despite the technical stuff.

In DS3 I didn't really enjoy magic, the whole Ashen Estus concept made it a bit meh.
Well he said it does feel more like a best of the games rather than a 4, though it's definitely based on the DS3 engine right down to the same shite bows. It does look like it's going to be good tbf, but pretty much if you love souls and don't expect anything new (for example, the horse adds nothing, the combat on it is apparently typically souls janky so pointless).

On Magic, he hasn't elaborated more but even though he said it's once again easy mode (and he says the whole game is surprisingly easy, which I'm expecting as the open world nature lends to that I guess) it is more fun than 3.

b82REZ

Looks mint IMO.

My daughter is born in Feb though so may be a while until I can get stuck into it.

Redlambs

On the positives, the open world is massive but still retains a lot of their level design ethos so hopefully there's not so much baron areas. Also the weather and day/night stuff actually looks like it affects the world more than simple enemy placements which should be cool.

I just really, really hope they've sorted out their ideas and development of the PvP.

Chairman Steve

Game looks extremely cool I must say. A Soulsborne game with open world exploration akin to TES Morrowind or RDR2 is gold to me.

Roux

Currently enjoying the closed network test - one of the best game i have ever played! If you love Souls games - this will be FromSoftware's crowning glory.

Loved the open world exploration - soo many bosses and enemy variants so far in this test.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Currently enjoying the closed network test - one of the best game i have ever played! If you love Souls games - this will be FromSoftware's crowning glory.

Loved the open world exploration - soo many bosses and enemy variants so far in this test.
Sounds great. Sekiro was their last crowning glory for me so topping that would be fantastic.

Roux

Sounds great. Sekiro was their last crowning glory for me so topping that would be fantastic.
Yeah they've brought over some elements from Sekiro - the jumping mechanic makes such a big difference, the horse you ride can double jump and thats even better. Some non game-breaking bugs here and there and i don't think its fully optimised on the PS5 version I tested and there was no use of the PS5 DuelSense feature, but other than that it looks like the next few months will be spent polishing it up for release. Lots of people mentioning magic/summoning is easy mode and enemies being easy/too hard - I'm pretty sure FromSoftware did these things intentionally for the network test.

Here's a phone pic I took while playing (they didn't allow streaming, recording or screenshots while playing)

Last edited:

Bosws87

Been watching streamers play this weekend, haven't heard a bad word said about it, this could be something special!

b82REZ

Ps5 for her welcome to the outside world? ;)

Congratulations buddy!

Thanks.

I was about 18 months ahead with that gift.

Every game I've bought since I've justified as a gift for her when she's old enough. She better like Souls-likes.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think the big thing I like about this open world is the word “exploration”. Doesn’t look like there’s map markers or things like that, you just have to go out and be inquisitive. That’s exactly how all open worlds should be and it’s where Ubisoft open worlds completely drop the ball. My biggest concern with Thai game is whether I’ll buy into the lore as I find that to be a weaker part of the dark souls games whereas it’s the best part of Elder Scrolls. Hopefully this one finds the right balance.

Redlambs

Thanks.

I was about 18 months ahead with that gift.

Every game I've bought since I've justified as a gift for her when she's old enough. She better like Souls-likes.
Nice one! True story, but for my eldest when he was 6 I saw an OG Master System at a boot sale and went on a spree of spending silly money getting a bunch of classic games for it, all under the guise of "it's for his gaming education!"

Now bare in mind, I already had a rather large collection of MS games including the ones I bought, but he also had access to them on his bloody android pad at the time too...no idea how I got away with that one with the Mrs!

Congrats mate, kids are fun but more importantly, they are great excuses. You can blame all sorts on them! It definitely outweighs all that sleepless nights nonsense ;)

Redlambs

Yeah they've brought over some elements from Sekiro - the jumping mechanic makes such a big difference, the horse you ride can double jump and thats even better. Some non game-breaking bugs here and there and i don't think its fully optimised on the PS5 version I tested and there was no use of the PS5 DuelSense feature, but other than that it looks like the next few months will be spent polishing it up for release. Lots of people mentioning magic/summoning is easy mode and enemies being easy/too hard - I'm pretty sure FromSoftware did these things intentionally for the network test.

Here's a phone pic I took while playing (they didn't allow streaming, recording or screenshots while playing)

Nice one. I was offered a code, but didn't have the time to really do it justice so left it for someone who did.

I think with the difficulty, it'll be more a case that it's the open world nature that has made them ease up more. In set levels and paths, you can give players the chance to learn the routes and work out the patterns, but with open world that obviously changes. I've heard people say the main boss encounters are still very much souls difficulty, so I'm guessing they are striking the balance. As for magic, that will always be easy mode. They'll do what they usually do and balance patch it all occasionally though.

Have you tried PvP much btw? I'm wondering with all the jumping and that how much it will change the style.

b82REZ

Nice one! True story, but for my eldest when he was 6 I saw an OG Master System at a boot sale and went on a spree of spending silly money getting a bunch of classic games for it, all under the guise of "it's for his gaming education!"

Now bare in mind, I already had a rather large collection of MS games including the ones I bought, but he also had access to them on his bloody android pad at the time too...no idea how I got away with that one with the Mrs!

Congrats mate, kids are fun but more importantly, they are great excuses. You can blame all sorts on them! It definitely outweighs all that sleepless nights nonsense ;)
My collection is pretty extensive. Planning on starting her on the Dreamcast though. The ultimate multiplayer machine.

Roux

Nice one. I was offered a code, but didn't have the time to really do it justice so left it for someone who did.

I think with the difficulty, it'll be more a case that it's the open world nature that has made them ease up more. In set levels and paths, you can give players the chance to learn the routes and work out the patterns, but with open world that obviously changes. I've heard people say the main boss encounters are still very much souls difficulty, so I'm guessing they are striking the balance. As for magic, that will always be easy mode. They'll do what they usually do and balance patch it all occasionally though.

Have you tried PvP much btw? I'm wondering with all the jumping and that how much it will change the style.
Yeah regarding the difficulty - it will definitely be the easiest, most accessible Souls game yet. There's lots of mechanics to aid new players - but obviously you don't have to use them. You can basically run around and farm souls until you can level up enough to take on a tough boss - and on top of that you have 'summoning' spells which make some boss fights trivial i.e. i had a pack of wolves aiding me until they died. There's also the ability to spawn right before a boss fight too with fast travel - so you don't have to run through the whole level again and unlock shortcuts, although dungeons still work in the old way with shortcuts etc - which is a nice balance.

I only really faced one tough boss that took me 20 or so tries to beat without using magic at all.

Again, i think alot of people are making the mistake or judging the bosses/magic difficulty off of a closed network test - in my opinion, lots of the stuff in the test will shift around. There's a very tough boss right on your doorstep when you enter into the open world and i don't think it will be there for the proper release. They also, understandably removed lots of items/enemies/dungeons etc from the game so i imagine there's a ton of armour, weapons, rings etc to find. I have no idea what build version i played so it could be from a few months ago. i really hope the game isn't this easy upon release - i love the difficulty level and lack of hand holding from FromSoft games.

I only had around 10 hours of game time really so didn't try much PvP stuff because the game was soo huge - it makes you want to explore the world. But I know you had to enable 'invasions' from other players and likewise enable 'help' for other players - again i think they made this decision to make the game more accessible to new players - you can freely explore without being invaded. You get these items pretty quickly into the game. There's one annoying PvP item you get that basically makes you disappear and spawn somewhere else near another player mid-battle, pretty sure that will get patched because it was being abused alot.

Also - I have no idea how they managed to fit a game demo this large into a 7gb download - makes you wonder what they can do with 80gb+ - there's easily 15-20 hours worth of content in this demo alone.

if anyone has any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

largelyworried

Yeah regarding the difficulty - it will definitely be the easiest, most accessible Souls game yet. There's lots of mechanics to aid new players - but obviously you don't have to use them. You can basically run around and farm souls until you can level up enough to take on a tough boss - and on top of that you have 'summoning' spells which make some boss fights trivial i.e. i had a pack of wolves aiding me until they died. There's also the ability to spawn right before a boss fight too with fast travel - so you don't have to run through the whole level again and unlock shortcuts, although dungeons still work in the old way with shortcuts etc - which is a nice balance.

I only really faced one tough boss that took me 20 or so tries to beat without using magic at all.

Again, i think alot of people are making the mistake or judging the bosses/magic difficulty off of a closed network test - in my opinion, lots of the stuff in the test will shift around. There's a very tough boss right on your doorstep when you enter into the open world and i don't think it will be there for the proper release. They also, understandably removed lots of items/enemies/dungeons etc from the game so i imagine there's a ton of armour, weapons, rings etc to find. I have no idea what build version i played so it could be from a few months ago. i really hope the game isn't this easy upon release - i love the difficulty level and lack of hand holding from FromSoft games.

I only had around 10 hours of game time really so didn't try much PvP stuff because the game was soo huge - it makes you want to explore the world. But I know you had to enable 'invasions' from other players and likewise enable 'help' for other players - again i think they made this decision to make the game more accessible to new players - you can freely explore without being invaded. You get these items pretty quickly into the game. There's one annoying PvP item you get that basically makes you disappear and spawn somewhere else near another player mid-battle, pretty sure that will get patched because it was being abused alot.

Also - I have no idea how they managed to fit a game demo this large into a 7gb download - makes you wonder what they can do with 80gb+ - there's easily 15-20 hours worth of content in this demo alone.

if anyone has any other questions feel free to ask.
I saw that there's speedruns of the test on YouTube so I checked one out, and yeah, magic and summoning basically trivialise all the mini boss fights if you spam them. I suspect they'll be changed by the time the game, either nerfed or hidden until the mid-game.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This does look incredible, fair play. I've opted to get this over Horizon Forbidden West, and I'm confident that's the right choice. Can't wait until next week.

Adamsk7

Preordered and it looks incredible. I’m hoping it’s not as punishing as the Souls games because something that’s as explorative as this shouldn’t have you dying every 5 minutes

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
This does look incredible, fair play. I've opted to get this over Horizon Forbidden West, and I'm confident that's the right choice. Can't wait until next week.

Looks insane. So glad I just beat Bloodborne and feel like I can play this now :lol:

think I’ll go for the pc version.