Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Preordered and it looks incredible. I’m hoping it’s not as punishing as the Souls games because something that’s as explorative as this shouldn’t have you dying every 5 minutes
Apparently, it's supposed to be both the easiest and the hardest of the souls games. So make of that what you will.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Apparently, it's supposed to be both the easiest and the hardest of the souls games. So make of that what you will.
I believe it’s that it’s the most forgiving of them towards death due to the open world nature and checkpoints etc but that the bosses will be up there with the hardest, which sounds perfect really.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
This does look incredible, fair play. I've opted to get this over Horizon Forbidden West, and I'm confident that's the right choice. Can't wait until next week.

Understandable. This has a more unique World with better visual and character creative variety compared to the excessive Dino-Robot world of HFW, which can get quite familiar after a while.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I believe it’s that it’s the most forgiving of them towards death due to the open world nature and checkpoints etc but that the bosses will be up there with the hardest, which sounds perfect really.
Yeah, that's what I believe to be the case. Which, as you said, sounds perfect.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This does look incredible, fair play. I've opted to get this over Horizon Forbidden West, and I'm confident that's the right choice. Can't wait until next week.

I'm going to switch from Horizon to this when it comes out.... But tbh I also won't be able to wait to get back to horizon. Incredible game, and I didn't like the first one that much. Definitely recommend it.

Elden Ring just looks like a can't fail game though. I've loved every single one of these games. Even Dark Souls 2 which is obviously the weakest one. Still loved it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm going to switch from Horizon to this when it comes out.... But tbh I also won't be able to wait to get back to horizon. Incredible game, and I didn't like the first one that much. Definitely recommend it.

Elden Ring just looks like a can't fail game though. I've loved every single one of these games. Even Dark Souls 2 which is obviously the weakest one. Still loved it.
Oh, I'm definitely going to jump into Horizon when I finished this. It was always a toss-up between this or Horizon for me this month, and I've read one or two things that put me off Horizon slightly, and I was always edging towards this game anyway. And I'm hoping this isn't your traditional open-world (which I don't think it will be) because I've got a little bit of open-world fatigue. Which was another reason I decided to put Horizon off for now.

bosnian_red

Oh, I'm definitely going to jump into Horizon when I finished this. It was always a toss-up between this or Horizon for me this month, and I've read one or two things that put me off Horizon slightly, and I was always edging towards this game anyway. And I'm hoping this isn't your traditional open-world (which I don't think it will be) because I've got a little bit of open-world fatigue. Which was another reason I decided to put Horizon off for now.
I think it's just down to the quality of them. I thought I had the open world fatigue thing too. All the 100+ hour Assassin's creed games, and then I played dying light for the week before horizon and just wasn't into it at all. It's fine but felt like a time passer and nothing more.

Horizons definitely re-energized it. Haven't played a quality open world game in a loooong time. Elden Ring ive got no doubt will absolutely nail it. The souls games are such a different atmosphere/mix of exploration and combat to any other game. It's literally a can't fail game in my head as you know they'll make it incredibly detailed and worth exploring and not just filler land.

Rustyspider13

The only problem I have with Horizon is its release proximity to Elden Ring. I loved the first one and Forbidden West seems like an improvement in every way, but Elden Ring is just on an entirely different level. So Horizon will have to wait. If Fromsoftware actually manage to translate their level design philosophy to an open world we're looking at an all timer. Thinking of picking Confessor as a starting class a I try to build a pyromancer knight in these games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This could be a future contender for GOAT, getting my prediction in early.
If it is then it would be some run for FS from Demon Souls to Elden Ring. Sony and MS should be looking to buy them and not the likes of Activision and Bungie (obviously money etc )

SuperiorXI

If it is then it would be some run for FS from Demon Souls to Elden Ring. Sony and MS should be looking to buy them and not the likes of Activision and Bungie (obviously money etc )
Don't know if FS games sell as much unfortunately. Also they don't bother with Microtransactions I don't think.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Very excited for this too but I don’t know how I’m going to play, Fifa, Dying Light, Horizon and Elden Ring all at the same time. Think dying light will be parked and I may try and get through Horizon first.

Amarsdd

I'm hype for this now, I just hope it doesn't launch with the usual PC fps problems all their games have.
Asmongold was having a little bit of frame rate issues during his stream yesterday. Nothing bad though and also it was a pre-release version.

SuperiorXI

Looks like every other Dark Souls game, which is fine.
Seems like the "ultimate form" of a Dark Souls game, it looks absolutely massive and varied. I love that there will be an option to simply go to any other direction if you're stuck somewhere, and come back later.

Bosws87

Easily gonna be game of the year possibly the whole generation.

expect the reviews to be 10’s everywhere.

Chairman Steve

I hope this is the one that displaces Bloodborne from the spot of ‘everyone’s favourite Souls game’. I think Miyazaki and FromSoft hope that themselves since they’re somewhat averse to direct sequels and like to evolve the core mechanics of their games and create spiritual successors.

Nickosaur

Never played a Souls game (I know, I know).

Would I find this more enjoyable if I checked out any of the earlier games first? Not in a huge rush for Elden Ring as I have a huge back catalogue to get through.

SuperiorXI

Would I find this more enjoyable if I checked out any of the earlier games first? Not in a huge rush for Elden Ring as I have a huge back catalogue to get through.
It's a standalone game and based on what people who have played the game have said, it's the most accessible game they have done so far so could be a perfect entry point.

Godfather

Cannot wait. I just hope the open world element doesn't take away the magic of Souls games but I don't see how. FromSoftware is only one of a few developers out there that you can expect quality from.

Chairman Steve

I would say you can jump into Elden Ring from the off. There is a tutorial area in the start of the game based on the closed public beta and part of the fun is going in blind, so I’d advise to not watch someone play Elden Ring as some of the mystery and surprises would be ruined.

It‘s very fun to watch reaction videos of someone playing a Souls game for the first time and completely blind.

Nickosaur

It's a standalone game and based on what people who have played the game have said, it's the most accessible game they have done so far so could be a perfect entry point.
I would say you can jump into Elden Ring from the off. There is a tutorial area in the start of the game based on the closed public beta and part of the fun is going in blind, so I’d advise to not watch someone play Elden Ring as some of the mystery and surprises would be ruined.

It‘s very fun to watch reaction videos of someone playing a Souls game for the first time and completely blind.
Cheers both. Depending on reviews and overall reception I may bump this up my list...

bosnian_red

They're all standalone, but I'd definitely recommend doing the remake of Demons souls as well (doesn't matter before or after). The others games are fantastic as well but are obviously a bit older, so demons souls was a ps5 launch remake and they did a fantastic job with it.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
They're all standalone, but I'd definitely recommend doing the remake of Demons souls as well (doesn't matter before or after). The others games are fantastic as well but are obviously a bit older, so demons souls was a ps5 launch remake and they did a fantastic job with it.
Ive literally just received my copy of demon souls, any tips for a first time player of souls games?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Not interested in this - just don't enjoy these sort of games at all and think they are massively overrated and to be honest, very boring.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think I am a bad gamer (honestly, the most difficult games I've played were Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and Planescape: Torment) to play any of the Dark Souls(-like) games.

But I am somehow tempted to get this. Despite that I will probably get frustrated in the first two hours.

Irwin99

Going for a faith build this time- a first for me in a Dark Souls type game. Hope it's better than a faith build in the other titles, as I've heard they generally suck.

Really looking forward to this and I hope the hype is real.

SuperiorXI

I think I am a bad gamer (honestly, the most difficult games I've played were Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and Planescape: Torment) to play any of the Dark Souls(-like) games.

But I am somehow tempted to get this. Despite that I will probably get frustrated in the first two hours.
I suck at these games but they're still a blast to play, they're hard but not unfair. If you persevere you can beat them even as a noob!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

Personally, I would start with Bloodborne. It's the best game they've done, IMO. The combat is faster and less deliberate than the Souls games and Elden Ring looks like it's going to follow suit, so would make sense to start there. Plus, you can pick it up for really cheap.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Ive literally just received my copy of demon souls, any tips for a first time player of souls games?
I'd start off with Royalty class for the soul arrow spell which is a bit OP in all honesty.

Just a general tip for combat - don't rush, block and parry, wait for openings and get in behind when you can for a back stab. If you've got the soul arrow you can stand at a distance and pick most enemies off.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The one thing I really hope they don't do is litter the world map with icons. That would be a huge turn-off for me. Hopefully, it's something more akin to Breath of The Wild, and less Assassins Creed. Knowing Fromsoft, it's likely to be the former as they put a lot of stock into exploration and discovering things for yourself.