Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'd start off with Royalty class for the soul arrow spell which is a bit OP in all honesty.

Just a general tip for combat - don't rush, block and parry, wait for openings and get in behind when you can for a back stab. If you've got the soul arrow you can stand at a distance and pick most enemies off.
Sound like great tips, thank you

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ive literally just received my copy of demon souls, any tips for a first time player of souls games?
You'll love it. And probably hate it. But it's fantastic once you get the hang of it and not that hard either. Biggest thing is patience, when you die don't feel like you need to rush back to find your shit, don't fret about losing souls.**

**When you kill enemies, you collect souls which is your currency. There is no bank, you just have them until you use them but you can't use them until after the first boss and you can only use them at the "home area" to level up or at random merchants. If you die, you drop all the souls you've been carrying. If you don't recollect them before you die again, they're gone.

But generally patience with all of it. When you fight, block the opponent attack, then give a few swings yourself and then get ready to block. Learn their attacks/read what they're doing (especially for the boss fights) and pick your moments when to attack. Sorcery is OP in pretty much all Souls games but pretty fun anyway. If you get stuck, put your summon sign down to help others on you get more experience and gain souls or you call their summons to help you.

Also there's a recommended kinda order in how to go through the game that you can find online (you'll see when you start, which levels to go through). You don't have to follow it of course, you might fall into doing that as certain levels get annoying so you switch to a different world before returning after you are stronger.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think I am a bad gamer (honestly, the most difficult games I've played were Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and Planescape: Torment) to play any of the Dark Souls(-like) games.

But I am somehow tempted to get this. Despite that I will probably get frustrated in the first two hours.
I bought Bloodborne when it came out and rage quit in the first area like 5 times over the first two years before abandoning it completely and deciding I wasn't cut out for Souls games.

Gave it one more go last week and had the entire thing cleared in a week, it basically consumed my life. I think I just learnt to accept that it's ok to die a LOT because you learn from it and it's ok to repeat the same areas over and over because it helps you get better and once I did, I was absolutely loving it. I don't think it's to do with me becoming a better gamer over the time (if anything I play games far less now), it's just about understanding it's a game you're supposed to approach very differently to others.

bosnian_red

Personally, I would start with Bloodborne. It's the best game they've done, IMO. The combat is faster and less deliberate than the Souls games and Elden Ring looks like it's going to follow suit, so would make sense to start there. Plus, you can pick it up for really cheap.
From the clips I saw it looked a lot more like dark souls style than Bloodborne? If anything Bloodborne won't train you at all to use a shield whereas they're vital with all the others

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
You'll love it. And probably hate it. But it's fantastic once you get the hang of it and not that hard either. Biggest thing is patience, when you die don't feel like you need to rush back to find your shit, don't fret about losing souls.**

**When you kill enemies, you collect souls which is your currency. There is no bank, you just have them until you use them but you can't use them until after the first boss and you can only use them at the "home area" to level up or at random merchants. If you die, you drop all the souls you've been carrying. If you don't recollect them before you die again, they're gone.

But generally patience with all of it. When you fight, block the opponent attack, then give a few swings yourself and then get ready to block. Learn their attacks/read what they're doing (especially for the boss fights) and pick your moments when to attack. Sorcery is OP in pretty much all Souls games but pretty fun anyway. If you get stuck, put your summon sign down to help others on you get more experience and gain souls or you call their summons to help you.

Also there's a recommended kinda order in how to go through the game that you can find online (you'll see when you start, which levels to go through). You don't have to follow it of course, you might fall into doing that as certain levels get annoying so you switch to a different world before returning after you are stronger.
That’s really helpful thank you!

bosnian_red

I bought Bloodborne when it came out and rage quit in the first area like 5 times over the first two years before abandoning it completely and deciding I wasn't cut out for Souls games.

Gave it one more go last week and had the entire thing cleared in a week, it basically consumed my life. I think I just learnt to accept that it's ok to die a LOT because you learn from it and it's ok to repeat the same areas over and over because it helps you get better and once I did, I was absolutely loving it. I don't think it's to do with me becoming a better gamer over the time (if anything I play games far less now), it's just about understanding it's a game you're supposed to approach very differently to others.
Yeah pretty much. Patience with movement and fighting, dying is ok and a learning experience, explore the shit out of everything as you might find a great weapon in that random corner. The biggest thing for all of them. I find that very few bosses are "cheap" and make you feel like you have to cheat to get passed them. Also you can always summon people to help out which helps a lot.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
From the clips I saw it looked a lot more like dark souls style than Bloodborne? If anything Bloodborne won't train you at all to use a shield whereas they're vital with all the others
Nah, all the gameplay I've seen would indicate a faster style more akin to Bloodborne than Dark Souls. Being able to jump and call in your horse, even when battling bosses, would indicate a very different pace to the combat which would make it less deliberate than the Souls games. I also don't think a shield is going to be as vital in Elden Ring, much like it wasn't in Bloodborne.

Only time will tell. Obviously need to get our hands on it first.

Massive Spanner

Yeah pretty much. Patience with movement and fighting, dying is ok and a learning experience, explore the shit out of everything as you might find a great weapon in that random corner. The biggest thing for all of them. I find that very few bosses are "cheap" and make you feel like you have to cheat to get passed them. Also you can always summon people to help out which helps a lot.
I haven't got my ps+ activated right now so had to do the whole thing alone, it was a cnut for some bosses :lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Every time I think of Bloodborne, I get PTSD from the Orphan of Kos fight *shudders*

What a cnut

bosnian_red

Every time I think of Bloodborne, I get PTSD from the Orphan of Kos fight *shudders*

What a cnut
feck that guy. Took me ages to beat him. I think one of the only bosses I never beat was Ancient Dragon in dark souls 2. Was an optional one so that was the main reason why... But that was dumb and cheap. Everything would 1 shot you.

izzydiggler

Looking forward to this but I have some souls-like fatigue...Sekiro I thought had some truly awful game design at times but all you saw was fawning 10/10, GOTY etc...I hope they've addressed some of these issues.

bosnian_red

Looking forward to this but I have some souls-like fatigue...Sekiro I thought had some truly awful game design at times but all you saw was fawning 10/10, GOTY etc...I hope they've addressed some of these issues.
I wasn't that big of a fan of Sekiro tbh. Didn't finish it though got pretty far. Still really good but possibly my least favourite of their games. And real fecking difficult while being unable to summon to help out.

izzydiggler

I wasn't that big of a fan of Sekiro tbh. Didn't finish it though got pretty far. Still really good but possibly my least favourite of their games. And real fecking difficult while being unable to summon to help out.
My mine gripe was how they they tried to push you into mastering 1-1 combat and deflection etc...then surrounded them with 10 odd enemies, making it incredibly tedious to get rid of the fodder mobs before you even started to learn the patterns.

The speed at which the poise meter dropped as well made bouts just total slogs.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Finished DS2, but recall the game making me feel really kinda odd. Obviously the dread of the thing, but also the intensity of it. Can't tell if that's what I want from something these days! Games like BOTW and Skyrim certainly felt more enjoyable.

But it does look rather enticing...

Bosws87

Finished DS2, but recall the game making me feel really kinda odd. Obviously the dread of the thing, but also the intensity of it. Can't tell if that's what I want from something these days! Games like BOTW and Skyrim certainly felt more enjoyable.

But it does look rather enticing...
DS2 is the worst of the lot by a long way so thats a positive, also had that horrible game mechanic of losing your max health upon every death which was very anti fun.

So Elden ring should certainly be a lot less painful just on that alone.

SuperiorXI

PC players have a head start to console, can't take advantage of this though as I'm out for my birthday! Gonna be absolutely hammering it over the week though.

Bosws87

My copy should be here tomorrow, but i'm gonna hold off on it and finish Horizon both games deserve my full attention.

bosnian_red

If ever there was a time to test positive for COVID and be excused from work/social obligations....

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
DS2 is the worst of the lot by a long way so thats a positive, also had that horrible game mechanic of losing your max health upon every death which was very anti fun.

So Elden ring should certainly be a lot less painful just on that alone.
Nice, I thought that was in all Souls games. Infuriating stuff.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Any recommendations for online retailers who may send this out a day before the official release? ShopTo is good when it comes to the games arriving on release day, but I've never had it early off them. Are there any sites likely to send the game out for Thursday?

Bosws87

Any recommendations for online retailers who may send this out a day before the official release? ShopTo is good when it comes to the games arriving on release day, but I've never had it early off them. Are there any sites likely to send the game out for Thursday?
mine was dispatched today from thegamecollection, simplygames are also good

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
mine was dispatched today from thegamecollection, simplygames are also good
Alright, cheers. I've used Simplygames a few times and they are good. Haven't used Gamecollection though so I'll give that a try. Worth a shot.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
When people expect this to be hard..in what way? Going back really far and having to do loads again? Just very little health?

Massive Spanner

When people expect this to be hard..in what way? Going back really far and having to do loads again? Just very little health?
You’ll just die, a lot. A lot lot lot by the standards of pretty much any game. Even regular enemies can feck you up easily and bosses are generally affairs that will take from a few tries to tens of tries depending on their difficulty.

their Older games had a lot of traversing through enemies and bits you’ve already beaten to get to checkpoints and short cuts too but this one is apparently more accessible in that regard.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You’ll just die, a lot. A lot lot lot by the standards of pretty much any game. Even regular enemies can feck you up easily and bosses are generally affairs that will take from a few tries to tens of tries depending on their difficulty.

their Older games had a lot of traversing through enemies and bits you’ve already beaten to get to checkpoints and short cuts too but this one is apparently more accessible in that regard.
I don't mind dying, just hate having to repeat a load of stuff I've done before that. If this one isn't like that I'll give it a go. Will see what people say once it's out.

Drainy

I'm sure I'd love 90% of what the game is like, but it will probably be too hard/ frustrating for me so will have to give it a miss.

fergosaurus

Looking forward to this. Got the digital version so I'm less likely to wuss out.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Reviews will be out soon. I think it's because I'm still a little skeptical that they went with an open world, but I'm not sure if this s going to be as well-reviewed as Bloodborne and Sekiro. Hopefully I'm wrong

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Reviews will be out soon. I think it's because I'm still a little skeptical that they went with an open world, but I'm not sure if this s going to be as well-reviewed as Bloodborne and Sekiro. Hopefully I'm wrong
Dunno they just Seem to get Better at making games

Godfather

Yeah the open-world theme is what's worrying me the most too. But I trust From Software to get it right once more.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Personally I’m predicting really high reviews and a good few 10s. I know some are skeptical about the open world formula but I’ve long thought it’s exactly what is missing in the souls games.

SuperiorXI

Personally I’m predicting really high reviews and a good few 10s. I know some are skeptical about the open world formula but I’ve long thought it’s exactly what is missing in the souls games.
And other games have been sort of open world anyway to some degree, Miyazaki is right in that this is a natural evolution.