Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
There's also an area you can get to by dropping down from the south east area of Altus. It takes you on a circular path round the base of the area in that region. There's a boss fight and a couple other things round there.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I actually looked up where to go on Mt. Gelmir as well. Didn't notice the silly ladder at all.

Have fun with what you will find on the top of all the ladders :p
Can't wait. :nervous:

There's also an area you can get to by dropping down from the south east area of Altus. It takes you on a circular path round the base of the area in that region. There's a boss fight and a couple other things round there.
Cheers. I'll check that out as well.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Look for the Wyndham Ruins/Wyndham catacombs (north from Grand Lift of Dectus) and you should find the area to drop down near there.

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I've jotted these down on my 'things to do next' list in Google Keep...

• Ladder West Altus
  • South West Altus / Wyndham ruins
  • Volcano Manor / Rykard / Blasphemous Blade
  • Bloodhound Step
  • Lord of Bloods Exhaultation

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I stopped at 75 hours or so with the fire giant constantly beating my arse and there being some bug preventing me from using any kind of summon in the fight.

That was about 5 weeks ago and I'm now at the point where I will have lost the dodge timing and muscle memory of the control system. Not sure I can go back to it now.... shame

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've jotted these down on my 'things to do next' list in Google Keep...

• Ladder West Altus
  • South West Altus / Wyndham ruins
  • Volcano Manor / Rykard / Blasphemous Blade
  • Bloodhound Step
  • Lord of Bloods Exhaultation
Make sure to get the Comet Azur spell north of Hermit Village if you ever want a sorcery spell that just obliterates bosses.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'll grab it just in case I respec again at some point. I read that sorcery is a bit shit late game no?
This spell is pretty OP. When I played sorcerer it killed most bosses in two hits and it’s perfect to exploit the Radagon freeze (if that’s not been patched yet).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I stopped at 75 hours or so with the fire giant constantly beating my arse and there being some bug preventing me from using any kind of summon in the fight.

That was about 5 weeks ago and I'm now at the point where I will have lost the dodge timing and muscle memory of the control system. Not sure I can go back to it now.... shame
You can't use a spirit summon either? Doing it with other people is actually crap with the fire giant since he has such an enormous amount of HP.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Wasted a load of sombre stones on the Game of Thrones sword. Hits like a truck and a great skill but it's so slow and the attacks while on horseback are awful.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
You can't use a spirit summon either? Doing it with other people is actually crap with the fire giant since he has such an enormous amount of HP.
The mimic tear summon was greyed out every time I entered the boss area and did not become active at any stage. I also saw no NPC summon icons either. Every human player I summoned got themselves killed within 60 seconds of the encounter starting.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The mimic tear summon was greyed out every time I entered the boss area and did not become active at any stage. I also saw no NPC summon icons either. Every human player I summoned got themselves killed within 60 seconds of the encounter starting.
I had this problem at times after enabling that item that makes you see summon signs. With that active you can't use a spirit summon. Even after deactivating it still sometimes didn't work, but dying always solved the problem.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'll grab it just in case I respec again at some point. I read that sorcery is a bit shit late game no?
I think it's just a case of swings and roundabouts. As with any build, you'll come across bosses and enemies where you may struggle due to how you spec'd your character. Sorcery's no different in that aspect. Some bosses will be a breeze, others will be pain in the arse due to their movesets. As someone who used sorcery all the way through, I wouldn't say I struggled more in the late game. Some parts were difficult while using magic, some parts were relatively easy. Take the rough with the smooth, really.

Also, in regards to the Comet Azur spell, I'm not a big fan of it. In the right circumstances it can be good, but those circumstances are few and far between, IMO. First off, you need a shit ton of FP because it absolutely burns through it. Secondly, it needs to be used against a boss that doesn't move that much because you can't move while using it or change the direction of the beam (you can use a summon to take aggro, I guess). It takes up three memory slots and it takes quite a long time to cast. Also, not sure if they've nerfed it, but it doesn't do that much damage unless your intelligence and mind stats are off the charts.

I have used it in certain circumstances, but I prefer other spells personally.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think it's just a case of swings and roundabouts. As with any build, you'll come across bosses and enemies where you may struggle due to how you spec'd your character. Sorcery's no different in that aspect. Some bosses will be a breeze, others will be pain in the arse due to their movesets. As someone who used sorcery all the way through, I wouldn't say I struggled more in the late game. Some parts were difficult while using magic, some parts were relatively easy. Take the rough with the smooth, really.

Also, in regards to the Comet Azur spell, I'm not a big fan of it. In the right circumstances it can be good, but those circumstances are few and far between, IMO. First off, you need a shit ton of FP because it absolutely burns through it. Secondly, it needs to be used against a boss that doesn't move that much because you can't move while using it or change the direction of the beam (you can use a summon to take aggro, I guess). It takes up three memory slots and it takes quite a long time to cast. Also, not sure if they've nerfed it, but it doesn't do that much damage unless your intelligence and mind stats are off the charts.

I have used it in certain circumstances, but I prefer other spells personally.
Yeah I basically summoned my mimic and let him aggro whilst I used Comet Azur. I two shotted most bosses this way.

It was harder for Elden Beast and more nimble bosses but I just changed tactic for those.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Who needs sorceries, just equip Moonveil, put all your stats in Intelligence and spam everything to death with its weapon skill.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah I basically summoned my mimic and let him aggro whilst I used Comet Azur. I two shotted most bosses this way.

It was harder for Elden Beast and more nimble bosses but I just changed tactic for those.
He's a real pain in the arse. I really didn't like that boss. One of the worst in the game, for me.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If you really want to blitz through the early game, go to behind Redmane Castle and pick up Flaming Strike. Its a suberb AoW and more importantly, it allows you to put fire scaling on your weapon which is incredible at the start since you can invest your stats into health/endurance.

And if you really want to go fast:
Finish Varres questline which gets you to Moghs palace. Run back to the grace at the cliffs. Hands down the best rune farming spot in the game
Interesting, don't have Flaming Strike, going 'bloody' this time but will go grab that. I'm all over that farming ground already - cheers. Feels a little cheat-y but tbh helps get me back to where I was sooner (lvl 125)

Nickosaur

I'm about level 60, must have put in over 50 hours now.

And yet every time I open this thread I feel like you lot are speaking a different language :lol:

Think I've only applied ashes of War to one weapon so far, haven't used a great rune yet (is that the thing you apply to a rune arc?), still using my starting armour... probably massively handicapping myself but so much of this game is "hidden" and not made clearly accessible. Which is a bit baffling, but also kinda cool I guess

Mercurial

What's the verdict here after a long time with the game? Is it as outstanding as the reviews suggested? Better than Bloodborne? Good enough to justify getting a PS5 for someone who's been on the fence?
I wanted to refund it first hour, went mad at how hard and clunky and desolate it all felt, thought to myself no way, then slept on my faliures in frustration, wanted to exact revenge on whatever toasted me when at work, went autistically obsessed at times on some bosses. A few good adrenaline rushes, got really good at it, spent some 150 hours during Covid recovery sick leave. Loved it, can recommend it. It's a thrill if you never played anything like it. Had same impact on me as when i bought an XBOX just for Mass Effect. After the 150 hours I have no more desire to touch it, I'm an addict in recovery. For this I give it a 10/10.

Jev

I wanted to refund it first hour, went mad at how hard and clunky and desolate it all felt, thought to myself no way, then slept on my faliures in frustration, wanted to exact revenge on whatever toasted me when at work, went autistically obsessed at times on some bosses. A few good adrenaline rushes, got really good at it, spent some 150 hours during Covid recovery sick leave. Loved it, can recommend it. It's a thrill if you never played anything like it. Had same impact on me as when i bought an XBOX just for Mass Effect. After the 150 hours I have no more desire to touch it, I'm an addict in recovery. For this I give it a 10/10.
That's pretty much exactly my Bloodborne experience.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports

And yet every time I open this thread I feel like you lot are speaking a different language :lol:

Think I've only applied ashes of War to one weapon so far, haven't used a great rune yet (is that the thing you apply to a rune arc?), still using my starting armour... probably massively handicapping myself but so much of this game is "hidden" and not made clearly accessible. Which is a bit baffling, but also kinda cool I guess
You're not alone there. I've only dabbled with a few of the ashes of war, haven't touched grease at all but I have done the odd bit of crafting, particularly to alleviate stuff like poison and just recently, scarlet rot. I also got my head around the wondrous phsyik early doors but haven't changed it much.

Throw in all the other mechanics, incantations, sorceries, rings, talismans etc... and it can be massively overwhelming for people I agree.

As we've said in this thread also, a lot of the quests are near impossible to complete without some online guidance so don't be afraid to ask on here or consult the Elden Ring wiki.

Re: armour, the only thing to really remember is that you want to keep your equipment load at medium or less so you can roll effectively. You'll still get absolutely hammered by the big boys regardless of what you're wearing, especially if you can't roll properly :lol: . Just remember that when you change it up and you'll be grand.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

You have to restore the great rune first at a specific location, then equip it at a Site of Grace, then use a rune arc to activate it.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Does anyone ever use the great runes? I barely ever do.

MattofManchester

Beat Malenia after 2 days of trying. Eventually just went gung-ho and killed her just before she killed me.

I haven't finished the game yet, because I've yet to burn the tree, but as far as I'm concerned, I've beaten it.

MattofManchester

There's a pretty easy strategy to beat the fire giant. You wouldn't even need a summon. He has a weakness, of sorts.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah that's the one I use occasionaly. Only got that one and the Radahn one and I don't see the point of the latter when Godrick's seems better?
Yeah same, I only use the Godrick one. I have a ton of Rune arcs from helping people kill bosses, so I use it for every boss really. Nice bump in stats.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Uchigatana and Rivers Of Blood with the white mask and deathbed dress (gradually heals your spirit ash!)

Real good build when combined with Lord of blood Exultation and Millicents Prosthesis
Rivers of Blood is fecking mental. Can't imagine they won't nerf it a bit like they did with Moonveil.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I tried doing a faith run but I just ended up spamming the blasphemous blade skill from the Greatsword. I wanted to dabble with incantations but they could never beat the weapon.

largelyworried

I tried doing a faith run but I just ended up spamming the blasphemous blade skill from the Greatsword. I wanted to dabble with incantations but they could never beat the weapon.
The balance in this game is really off. Weapon arts are so powerful there's really no reason not to spam them. The Blasphemous Blade, corpse piler, flame of the redmanes, & Bloodhound Step are ridiculously OP. Even the nerfed stuff like Moonveil and Hoarfrost are still better than just using regular R1 and R2s.