Gaming Elder Scrolls V

Minkaro

I want....all of it! :drool:
Mounted combat would be brilliant. Everything in the video would be brilliant, but I think I'd like that best of all. So annoying having to climb down off a horse to fight somebody.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I haven't read anything in this thread at all, as to not catch any spoilers.

But, can anyone of you answer the following:

I loved Fable II, for instance, and I love a bit of fantasy gaming. I've never really tried Elder Scrolls before.

Should I invest in this game? And how much time will it consume? I'm easily hooked by these sort of things.

Also, shortly, what kind of a game is it? I get it's a role-playing, sandbox-style game, which suits me, but how about the fighting system? Is it puzzle-heavy?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I haven't read anything in this thread at all, as to not catch any spoilers.

But, can anyone of you answer the following:
I'll try...

I loved Fable II, for instance, and I love a bit of fantasy gaming. I've never really tried Elder Scrolls before.
I love Fable II as well, and I also love Skyrim. It does share a fair few similarites too, but I would say Fable II is definitely more arcadey and a little bit easier to just pick up and play...

Should I invest in this game? And how much time will it consume? I'm easily hooked by these sort of things.
I asked myself these very questions before I bought the game, as I hadn't really been much of an Elder Scrolls fan previously... so on my experience, I would say; Yes you should invest and it will consume a LOT of time, especially if you're easily hooked

Also, shortly, what kind of a game is it? I get it's a role-playing, sandbox-style game, which suits me, but how about the fighting system? Is it puzzle-heavy?
It's not a very puzzle heavy game... there are some puzzles, but they are few and far between and I havent encountered any that have been overly difficult. You'll basically just do a lot of quests, a lot of which involve you going to a certain place/cave/dungeon and killing all the bad guys in it... though some of the main quests can bring up some pretty cool variations.

The combat can be a bit clunky at times, but is a massive improvement over Oblivion, and can be pretty fun once you've levelled up enough and your a badass. Also destruction magic is very cool and works very well...

beacon

All Creatures Great and Small
Any of you guys playing this on PS3?

I'm level 50, 120 hours in, and I have seen 7 dragons. I'm married, a cannibal, arch-mage. I haven't just spent 120 hours chopping wood and mining.

Seven.

Where the feck are they all? Is this a PS3 thing?

Minkaro

I'm on PS3 as well, level 21/22 (can't quite remember which), and I've seen a fair few of them. Checking the stats says I've brutally murdered 21 of them (looking at the "dragon souls collected" stat), and I know I've ignored a couple because they were flying around being pointless instead of attacking me.

Leg-End

It's not a PS3 thing, I've slayed far too many to even think about and now they are just an annoyance to run from.

beacon

It's doing my head in, I have a whole bunch of words of power I can't use because I don't have the dragon souls yet.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
If you perform some shouts in towns, a courier will soon appear and give you a note which reveals a dragon location. I usually do my whirlwind sprint, just so I don't accidentally kill someone.

Diablodave

Has anyone noticed the ridiculous mount of wildlife since the update? I'm seeing more butterflies, being attacked by a lot more trolls too!

One scenario I was fighting 2 frost trolls and 5 bandits were slaying a 3rd right beside me....suddenly a dragon appears and we all start fighting it! Really tested the update, there was no lag whatsoever! Very happy with it

Minkaro

Well, I can't go back to Markath now. I'll spoiler the why, as it involves talking about a quest. If you've done "No One Escapes From Cidnha Mine" then you're fine to read.

After doing the mission, every time I go back to Markath the guards approach me with the "you have committed crimes against Skyrim," speech, but choosing to go to jail (there are no options to pay a fine) leads to them attacking.

Apparently a way around that is to go straight to the Shrine of Talos, so I tried that and sure enough they actually took me to prison, where straight away I'm involved in a four-on-one fight armed only with some magic (which I haven't bothered to level up), and my fists. Obviously I win, being a total boss and all that. So off I saunter, to find the escape route that you use during the mission. It's locked, and for some reason I don't have the key any more.

I tried going back to my cell, and shouting at the guards to see if it'd annoy them into opening the door (which wasn't pickable). No luck.

Markath was a stupid city anyway. :(

beacon

If you perform some shouts in towns, a courier will soon appear and give you a note which reveals a dragon location. I usually do my whirlwind sprint, just so I don't accidentally kill someone.
Much appreciated, I'll try this tomorrow.

I have a new problem now also. I'm married to mjoll but she's just fecked off. We left a cave together, I ran down the mountain side, as you do, expecting her to take the long route as usual. Time passes, no mjoll. It's been 15 game days. She hasn't gone back home, she's not in riften, and I can't find that twat who follows her around either. I broke into his house in riften expecting to find them in bed together but no sign. Lydia was patiently waiting in breezehome but won't join me because she says I already have a follower. I wouldn't mind but mjoll has a load of my stuff. Any ideas?

Eriku

Mustn't have the wife follow you like that... keep da bitch in the kitchen, and tending a shop or something!

No advice on that point, I'm afraid :(

And startled that you haven't seen more than 7 dragons thus far. I've played close to 100 hours now, I have like 12 souls ready to unlock any new shouts... and I'm sure I've spent something like 10 souls on shouts already.

beacon

Mustn't have the wife follow you like that... keep da bitch in the kitchen, and tending a shop or something!

No advice on that point, I'm afraid :(

And startled that you haven't seen more than 7 dragons thus far. I've played close to 100 hours now, I have like 12 souls ready to unlock any new shouts... and I'm sure I've spent something like 10 souls on shouts already.
The annoying thing is it was the last quest I was going to take mjoll on, she won't shut up about her father and it was driving me nuts. I'd have killed her by now if she wasn't immortal. Lesbo love was never like this in the movies.
The dragon thing is crazy, I stopped fast travelling about 30 hours ago in the hope I'd get more random encounters but haven't seen a single dragon in all that time. More ice trolls and bears than you can shake a stick at though.

Red_Aaron

Well, I can't go back to Markath now. I'll spoiler the why, as it involves talking about a quest. If you've done "No One Escapes From Cidnha Mine" then you're fine to read.

After doing the mission, every time I go back to Markath the guards approach me with the "you have committed crimes against Skyrim," speech, but choosing to go to jail (there are no options to pay a fine) leads to them attacking.

Apparently a way around that is to go straight to the Shrine of Talos, so I tried that and sure enough they actually took me to prison, where straight away I'm involved in a four-on-one fight armed only with some magic (which I haven't bothered to level up), and my fists. Obviously I win, being a total boss and all that. So off I saunter, to find the escape route that you use during the mission. It's locked, and for some reason I don't have the key any more.

I tried going back to my cell, and shouting at the guards to see if it'd annoy them into opening the door (which wasn't pickable). No luck.

Markath was a stupid city anyway. :(
yeah i had this glitch myslef, it made the theives guild quests especailly difficult to complete. i tried the shrine fix too to no avail, eventually i just butchered every guard in town and i got a 'the last witness has been killed' message wiping out my bounty and enabling me to complete my missions. This was one of the very last things i did in the game though so i dont know how this lasts for, but it did free up the city for me. save before you try this as i wouldn't want to wreck your game if it doesnt work

Prophet_of_Doom

I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy this for months and had an argument with the desk guy in Blockbuster today who told me I should get Amalur instead. I've never been much into RPG games, although Fallout 3 is probably my favourite game of all time - I enjoy the sandbox element, but the combat (and choice of FPS) is what appeals in Fallout. It's pure and simple - I don't like complicated combat systems.

However, I've just played the Amalur demo and it just seems to be hack and slash, which isn't what I want at all.

Anyone like me who generally doesn't play RPGs who has played this? Should I get it or should I go for Amalur?! Advice greatly appreciated!

I_live_cement

Cat freak
If you liked Fallout 3 then I see no reason why you wouldn't like this.

Also, the cnut who recommended Amalur instead of this needs sacking. I mean ffs.

Lance Uppercut

I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy this for months and had an argument with the desk guy in Blockbuster today who told me I should get Amalur instead. I've never been much into RPG games, although Fallout 3 is probably my favourite game of all time - I enjoy the sandbox element, but the combat (and choice of FPS) is what appeals in Fallout. It's pure and simple - I don't like complicated combat systems.

However, I've just played the Amalur demo and it just seems to be hack and slash, which isn't what I want at all.

Anyone like me who generally doesn't play RPGs who has played this? Should I get it or should I go for Amalur?! Advice greatly appreciated!
The combat in KOA is actually better than that in Skyrim. If I were you, I would get both. However, if you are a Fallout fan, you need Skyrim. Just make sure you have a lot of free time.

beacon

I hate RPGs. I've ploughed 120 hours into this.

beacon

Cheers guys. I guess that's settled then, I'll pick up a copy tomorrow. When my daughter gets taken away for neglect, I'll know who to blame!
Do what I've done, try and ensure a virulent virus cycles through the family for a couple of weeks so you can sit around in your pants whilst "watching over" your kids making sure they are OK. As an added bonus they are so weak that they sleep through all the violence and you don't have to keep telling them to avert their eyes.

beacon

Try a dragon shout, that usually gets their attention.
Thanks both, I've had 2 more "find the source of power" letters thanks to shouting and seen 3 more dragons. Worked a charm.

Mjoll has shown up again, without Aerin this time. Just arrived back in the house in the end. Missing 19 days. Bitch. I suspect she's been buggering him with a Daedric Strap-On Dildo of Domination (Legendary), and he's too weak to follow her around. I gave her a good beating for desertion and took all my stuff back. If Aerin turns up again I'm going to plant some poison in his pockets and watch the fecker suffer. Once he's dead I'm going to feed on his corpse.

Crises averted.

Eriku

Thanks both, I've had 2 more "find the source of power" letters thanks to shouting and seen 3 more dragons. Worked a charm.

Mjoll has shown up again, without Aerin this time. Just arrived back in the house in the end. Missing 19 days. Bitch. I suspect she's been buggering him with a Daedric Strap-On Dildo of Domination (Legendary), and he's too weak to follow her around. I gave her a good beating for desertion and took all my stuff back. If Aerin turns up again I'm going to plant some poison in his pockets and watch the fecker suffer. Once he's dead I'm going to feed on his corpse.

Crises averted.
:lol:

Heardy

I stumbled across Silius in Dawnstar, and have retrieved three parts of the Razr (think that's correct).

He's now told me to meet him at the Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon, but i'm having a stupid amount of difficulty trying to get to the location. Am I missing something?

Also, is this one of the Daedric Quests? As a level 43, am I likely to find myself in any great difficulty proceeding with this quest before I level up my armour/weaponry a bit?

Leg-End

I stumbled across Silius in Dawnstar, and have retrieved three parts of the Razr (think that's correct).

He's now told me to meet him at the Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon, but i'm having a stupid amount of difficulty trying to get to the location. Am I missing something?

Also, is this one of the Daedric Quests? As a level 43, am I likely to find myself in any great difficulty proceeding with this quest before I level up my armour/weaponry a bit?
Find Fort Dunstad and head up the mountain in a westerly direction, should be a path near it. You should be fine at Level 43 really, you will have to deal with some Dremora but really shouldn't have bother, nice deadra heart pickups.

And yep it is a Daedric Quest.

I reached Level 50 yesterday, platinum tophy.:D

Heardy

Find Fort Dunstad and head up the mountain in a westerly direction, should be a path near it. You should be fine at Level 43 really, you will have to deal with some Dremora but really shouldn't have bother, nice deadra heart pickups.

And yep it is a Daedric Quest.

I reached Level 50 yesterday, platinum tophy.:D
Cheers Leg-End.

I must have circled the base of the mountain, but couldn't find a path that got me above half way before being faced with a verticle climb.

Will look at Fort Dunstad, the chance of more daedra hearts would be good, but ebony ingots seem as much trouble to come by right now.

I've got daedric armour, gauntlets, helmet and bow, but need more ingots to increase their stats I think.

beacon

Oh and make sure you get the Razor off him, it's a very special weapon.

Rahul

Egads, just checked I've been playing this game for a total of 30 hours and I've barely even touched the main quest as of yet.

How many hours is everybody else on ?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Egads, just checked I've been playing this game for a total of 30 hours and I've barely even touched the main quest as of yet.

How many hours is everybody else on ?
I am ashamed to admit I got to about 140 hours.

Finished everything and got every trophy too

When are the DLC's out. I want to rim once more

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
150 hours and not touched the thieves guild, the dark brotherhood or finished the main quest yet. It's getting increasingly difficult to find places on the map that I havent discovered and beaten already (212 locations discovered, 130 dungeons cleared). Still need 3 more priest masks as well.