Elon Musk | Owner of X

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I guess it is really hard to know how long it will take. Not even bothering to really predict.

I know that some hiring is continuing, I am actually interviewing with Meta next week, although at this stage I would be afraid to accept their offer even in the unlikely event that I will get one. Just too risky right now, especially with some startups offering FAANG-like salaries.
Meta fired overwhelming majority of their bootcampers who are new hires without any team and only in company for less than 2 months, I believe. So be careful.

LARulz

Why are people still using it? Just stop fecking using it if they hate him and Twitter so much

WPMUFC

Why are people still using it? Just stop fecking using it if they hate him and Twitter so much
Discussing a rich arsehole burning his cash on the platform that he's singlehandedly destroying is pretty hilarious tbh.

celia

I don't hate Twitter, it is the most convenient social network for me. It is/was nice to follow some authors, and read the thoughts of people sharing the same hobbies while not really having anything to tell. I feel most of the other social networks are more focused on ourselves (like sharing personal news or pics) while Reddit/Twitter can be just hobbies.

I would miss it if it disappear. Even if it can be a fire dumpster at times. It was really stressing during 4.5 or 5 years not that long ago, even when muting.

So today I learnt :
- blue checks is without surprise an awful idea everyone could see the risk except the one pushing this idea (people really need more critical thinking AND internet literacy)
- the safety and privacy of accounts is at a low point (it is really concerning because not only some malicious attempts can be successful to steal these data but I read that EM himself could sell them (not sure how credible the latest is))
- risk of bankruptcy???

Last edited:

LARulz

Everyone loves a good car crash.
Discussing a rich arsehole burning his cash on the platform that he's singlehandedly destroying is pretty hilarious tbh.
But in a car crash you watch it from another car, not inside. Also doesn't just having high usage still help him to some extent? Surely it's more entertaining seeing he is just left with nutjobs and see the chaos from afar?

celia

I am actually relatively calm because compared to the previous train wreck, the global risks are lower; Train wrecks are pretty entertaining but also worrisome if they can have many serious consequences.

There were really people having a positive opinion of Musk?! I mostly didn't care at all (just another rich guy doing things to enrich himself more, I don't get either the admiration for Steve Jobs but I have never bought any Apple product) and since I was mostly following English-speaking authors, they were more on the left side of the political spectrum and were dismissive of him and any of his supporters..

Cloud7

Twitter is my favorite social media platform and I never wanted him to take over because I could not see it ending well. It really would be a shame for it to die. Twitter is a great place if you use it properly and interact with the right people, as well as having friends on it. In my country our local twitter scene is very active and is a great place for news, videos, updates, memes and humor etc.

If Twitter does go down, I hope that a viable alternative that is as good comes along, and this dweeb is allowed nowhere near it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I am actually relatively calm because compared to the previous train wreck, the global risks are lower; Train wrecks are pretty entertaining but also worrisome if they can have many serious consequences.

There were really people having a positive opinion of Musk?! I mostly didn't care at all (just another rich guy doing things to enrich himself more, I don't get either the admiration for Steve Jobs but I have never bought any Apple product) and since I was mostly following English-speaking authors, they were more on the left side of the political spectrum and were dismissive of him and any of his supporters..
He and his fans marketed him as a real life Tony Stark and that worked for a while as Tesla were ahead in the E Car market and Space X was somewhat successful.

He always had his detractors but when he started to become even more of a public persona, more people became aware of what he truly is.

I never used to think too deeply about Musk and thought he was just a bit eccentric but harmless. It was when he called that guy a pedo and sent a useless submarine to rescue those boys is when I started to see he was a hack.

marktan

You can’t be serious
Why not?

What other platform exists that offers what twitter offers?

All celebrities, politicians, anyone of note uses it, that in itself is worth billions.

It has 300m users, mostly in the west.. and yet it has sizeable amounts of Indians/Pakistanis using it (e.g. see cricket posts), Chinese.. there's a massive targetable user base to grow too. For me growing user base is one of the easiest things to do.. e.g. just get famous eastern celebs to post adverts on IG saying you can win xyz if you follow and retweet on twitter.. just one example through which you gain millions of users.

Above all the Jewel in the crown is the search feature. Nowhere else can you get live reactions to any topic from all around the world. The first thing I'd do is make the twitter home page the search bar, similar to Google. And then focus heavily on monetising that. If you use the search tool, you'll see how under monetised it, you almost never see relevant ads.

All in all there's tremendous amounts of untapped value in twitter. I'm not sure if Musk sees it, but it's a company I've long admired and thought was underdeveloped.

The fact that Musk has decided to fire half the employees.. may seem like a net negative, but I think the opposite - the company and product has barely changed in 5+ years. New ideas are sorely needed. I do hope Musk fails though, the last thing the world needs is another rich, egomaniac controlling a large tech company. But I just don't see it happening.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Saw a good point on Twitter. YouTube pays content creators whereas Twitter is now taking money from content creators - the main people likely to pay for a blue tick.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why not?

All celebrities, politicians, anyone of note uses it, that in itself is worth billions.

It has 300m users, mostly in the west.. and yet it has sizeable amounts of Indians/Pakistanis using it (e.g. see cricket posts), Chinese.. there's a massive targetable user base to grow too. For me growing user base is one of the easiest things to do.. e.g. just get famous eastern celebs to post adverts on IG saying you can win xyz if you follow and retweet on twitter.. just one example through which you gain millions of users.

Above all the Jewel in the crown is the search feature. Nowhere else can you get live reactions to any topic from all around the world. The first thing I'd do is make the twitter home page the search bar, similar to Google. And then focus heavily on monetising that. If you use the search tool, you'll see how under monetised it, you almost never see relevant ads.

All in all there's tremendous amounts of untapped value in twitter. I'm not sure if Musk sees it, but it's a company I've long admired and thought was underdeveloped.

The fact that Musk has decided to fire half the employees.. may seem like a net negative, but I think the opposite - the company and product has barely changed in 5+ years. New ideas are sorely needed. I do hope Musk fails though, the last thing the world needs is another rich, egomaniac controlling a large tech company. But I just don't see it happening.
Strongly disagree. Twitter is a complex ecosystem. The majority of work is in maintaining it running (it almost never goes down), and then there is a lot of work in recommendation of tweets (Twitter's one is amazing), with a lot of work going on finding and eliminating bots and stopping the spread of misinformation.

I expect the recommendation to fall behind, and bots to thrive. Combined with eventually Twitter going down cause of lack of resources, and it will become a shit website that will die.

Unless Musk hires fast, but good luck to him on that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why not?

What you’re doing is essentially exactly what Musk is doing. Just completely riffing and pulling ideas out your arse with total self confidence that you’re right and it will work.

There is a very good reason that product development has become such an art with a number of recognised processes around it utilising UX researchers and business analysts to bottom out whether something is a good idea before it’s anywhere developers let alone end users.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Saw a good point on Twitter. YouTube pays content creators whereas Twitter is now taking money from content creators - the main people likely to pay for a blue tick.
We've been saying that in here since the start tbf.

We ARE the product on twitter, to pay for that privilege is actually insane to me. Wouldn't surprise me if the scumbags at Twitch wouldn't try it, though they technically do anyway.

That to me is fine, it's more the people who keep posting on Twitter saying they hate it
Yeah I get that mate. The other side of the coin though, is more people on Twitter complaining about Twitter actually does hurt Musk and his bid to bring back the advertisers. Then you have people deliberately causes chaos on there, which is making it much worse for him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
A free and fair town square for all but if you pay us money we'll amplify what you're saying.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
By the way, why are they banning people for impersonating someone? Shouldn’t they have full, unlimited free speech as you cannot do anything wrong just with words, like they have been preaching for months prior to this takeover? Full, unlimited freedom of speech should certainly allow me to pretend to be anybody and say anything. Is he now trying to put freedom of speech at risk and endanger the entire world?