Elon Musk | Owner of X

Godfather

As someone that hasn't even been on Twitter: Is there a legitimate reason to stay on this platform? I don't get it. Just to see that platform crash alone would be enough motivation for me to delete an existing account.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
As someone that hasn't even been on Twitter: Is there a legitimate reason to stay on this platform? I don't get it. Just to see that platform crash alone would be enough motivation for me to delete an existing account.
For me I still can control what I follow for the most part. I follow lots of funny accounts, interesting ones that tweet about current events and give me a better understanding, football news, music stuff, podcasters I listen to, etc…. I also block every single advert I see and the majority of blue ticks so I don’t give them any engagement.

Godfather

For me I still can control what I follow for the most part. I follow lots of funny accounts, interesting ones that tweet about current events and give me a better understanding, football news, music stuff, podcasters I listen to, etc…. I also block every single advert I see and the majority of blue ticks so I don’t give them any engagement.
Fair enough. Bit of a tragedy that there doesn't seem to be a proper alternative to "X" for what it still brings. Or so it seems.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Fair enough. Bit of a tragedy that there doesn't seem to be a proper alternative to "X" for what it still brings. Or so it seems.
Yeah I did sign up to Bluesky and Threads but they’re both graveyards.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I cringe at this supposed rebranding. X.com still re-directs to twitter.com.

nickm

It’s hard to feel good about being on twitter. The quality is way down, every day is spent blocking idiots and terrible ads, blue ticks have ruined intelligent discussions and the place is swimming in disinformation. You feel complicit in the degradation. But every now and again there’s real quality there. There’s a sense you are on the deck of a sinking ship, the water is lapping around your ankles, you know you are going to have to jump ship and you are delaying the inevitable.

Ady87

I didn’t think my Twitter usage would drop but looking at the last 10 days usage I’ve done 3 hours 17 mins of on screen time. 19.7mins per day is definitely down on how I used to use it, quite significantly. When I open it the algorithm really has me misunderstood and I just close it these days. I think I open it habitually.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I didn’t think my Twitter usage would drop but looking at the last 10 days usage I’ve done 3 hours 17 mins of on screen time. 19.7mins per day is definitely down on how I used to use it, quite significantly. When I open it the algorithm really has me misunderstood and I just close it these days. I think I open it habitually.
This is what I do with Facebook. Open it by habit then scroll for a bit until I realise I'm not even looking at what's on there.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

locked account now. she's a lowlife. but also musk, man, what a waste of skin.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hopefully those that vehemently dislike Musk and the propaganda he has bandwagoned with refuse to pay that dollar. But I feel they’re too addicted.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Also, paying $0.09 per month is so negligible that it's barely considered money.
The fact of giving your credit card information to a company that has spent the last year actively removing their security checks and authentication protocols would also have to be considered.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It says it's for new users. Can't imagine there's a lot of real new users these days compared to scam accounts (who'll pay the $1).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It'll could be a $1 sign on fee that gets you X number of months, but there will be a $24.95/mo. box checked in the fine print.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Already started...

Looks like a pressure method for people to create new accounts now before is too late so they can boost revenue on adds based on users to me. I don't see that happening to be honest

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He must be incredibly desperate for cashflow to be resorting to something like this.
The cash flow it’s going to generate is a drop in the ocean. He’s more interested in collecting PII, probably on behalf of one of his bad actor friends or investors.

nimic

something nice
Scout
He must be incredibly desperate for cashflow to be resorting to something like this.
Doesn't he need to generate like $1 billion extra every year just to maintain the loan? $1 feels like such a useless number. It's way too low to actually matter, but it's more than nothing so it will immediately push away those who won't pay literally any amount for Twitter. And worse than that, it's not even to use Twitter, it's just to tweet, retweet and like tweets? I sometimes like tweets, and once in a while even retweet something to my 12 followers (half of whom are those "girl in your area" bots, though one of them actually keeps liking them), but it's not actually worth $1 per year for me to do that.

Just seems like not enough to matter financially but enough to a) drive some people away and b) make himself look like a fool.

Tyrion

It's basically a social experiment at this point: how big of a twat does a social media CEO have to be for his app to finally crash?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I tend to believe that this is more of an attack on a source of knowledge he considers to be threat and less of his typical moronic delusions.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
There's feckery afoot here. Wiki put a huge banner up across their page the other day saying 'Wikioedia IS NOT FOR SALE' After Musk said he would pay them $1 Billion if they changed the name of the site to Dickpedia.

That’s really funny though. Dickpedia. Really clever also.

Halftrack

Musk doesn't have a billion dollars to give anyone. Could maybe swing a leveraged loan for that much, but he's never going to do so. He has, to my knowledge, never paid any money to anyone he told he would pay money if they did *thing*.