Elon Musk's epic bacon adventures

Revan

Assumptionman
So, you think objective buyer would rather buy Tesla than Volkswagen if he was offered both for same money? Would you do it?
Of course I would do that. Pretty much any rational investor would do so.

Fridge chutney

The world’s largest car company by value is really ridiculous stuff. By predicted future value, by stock value, etc., would maybe make some sense, but they are not worth anyhwere near the likes of Volkswagen, Merc, who have probably ten times biggest value in terms of factories value, sales, etc
A sizeable portion of Tesla's value is in its battery technology.

Balljy

A sizeable portion of Tesla's value is in its battery technology.
I've seen that said before, but as far as I can tell Panasonic & LG make Tesla batteries. I've seen reports that they may bring it in-house in the future, but for now they're made externally I think.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Of course I would do that. Pretty much any rational investor would do so.
You obviously have no idea how big Volkswagen is, and are totally into Tesla hype. No real businessman would buy Tesla before Volkswagen for same money. Actually I don't think anyone sane who knows how business are actually run(and not just studied it without real life experience) would buy Tesla for half before Volkswagen for full price, because it's totally dependable on single next car and crazyman behind their keyboard doing shady things on stock market.

Revan

Assumptionman
You obviously have no idea how big Volkswagen is, and are totally into Tesla hype. No real businessman would buy Tesla before Volkswagen for same money. Actually I don't think anyone sane who knows how business are actually run(and not just studied it without real life experience) would buy Tesla for half before Volkswagen for full price, because it's totally dependable on single next car and crazyman behind their keyboard doing shady things on stock market.
Then go tell those hedge fund managers and other people to swap Tesla stocks for VW’s (especially considering that they are roughly 6 times or so cheaper, 1T va 150B evaluation or so) and tell them that they know nothing.

For what is worth I think that Tesla is severely overvalued but at the same price I would definitely take it before VW.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The world’s largest car company by value is really ridiculous stuff. By predicted future value, by stock value, etc., would maybe make some sense, but they are not worth anyhwere near the likes of Volkswagen, Merc, who have probably ten times biggest value in terms of factories value, sales, etc.
That's all by the by though if no-one is willing to pay the higher value you seem to think it's worth.

nickm

It's not really the same though, there is one degree of separation between a football manager and their players, we have no real idea what Musk is coming up with himself and at what level. What actual novel ideas has he himself personally developed? I've no problem saying he's a great businessman, but I don't put much stock in that in terms of astounding humans.
The words you are looking for, are leadership and a sense of direction. That's ultimately what Musk provides his companies - as SAF provided for United. He also puts his money where his mouth is. The reason why SpaceX is for example, building Starship, is because Musk wants it to. (Whether it gets people to Mars is immaterial at the end of the day, because even if it doesn't it is going to transform launch economics). It would be very easy to imagine a world where SpaceX stopped development and settled for milking its 75% market share, with someone else in charge. People who invest in his companies (and I mean the smart VC money, not the dumb speculator money) aren't just investing in his companies, they are investing in his ability to deliver big things.

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

I've seen that said before, but as far as I can tell Panasonic & LG make Tesla batteries. I've seen reports that they may bring it in-house in the future, but for now they're made externally I think.
Wow, you're right. A friend of mine who swears by Tesla's valuation said it is their batter tech that drives the valuation. He must be mistaken and i stand corrected.

Conor

The words you are looking for, are leadership and a sense of direction. That's ultimately what Musk provides his companies - as SAF provided for United. He also puts his money where his mouth is. The reason why SpaceX is for example, building Starship, is because Musk wants it to. (Whether it gets people to Mars is immaterial at the end of the day, because even if it doesn't it is going to transform launch economics). It would be very easy to imagine a world where SpaceX stopped development and settled for milking its 75% market share, with someone else in charge. People who invest in his companies (and I mean the smart VC money, not the dumb speculator money) aren't just investing in his companies, they are investing in his ability to deliver big things.
That's great, doesn't really have anything to do with what I have said though, if anything it re-enforces my point.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I don't think many people have issues with his entrepreneurial achievements, but rather, as you point out with him being a manchild. What made me change my opinion about him was the "paedo naming" incident.
Indeed, with echoes of Trump's emotional immaturity. And if Musk gains control of Twitter, then for sure he will invite Trump back onboard in the name of "free speech".

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't think this is true. I see plenty of business folks driving a Tesla.

Tarrou

I assume you mean Tesla without Musk staying on as CEO?

otherwise why wouldn't I take Tesla for half the price of VW, take it public again and make way way way more money?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Tesla are only at about 14% of the global EV market share, which will fall by the year as others (specifically VW, BMW, Mercedes and the US and Japanese big companies) catch up. Thus, the farcically inflated TSLA share price will at some point go down like a Led Zeppelin imo.

What Musk does have going for him is that advantage of having a Car/Battery/Charging Infrastructure ecosystem in place well before the competition, which if he adds marketshare by releasing the Model 2 (or whatever name its given), will cut into the sales of competition. Its still not a $1k stock, but could wind up settling at about $300-400 range.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Tesla are only at about 14% of the global EV market share, which will fall by the year as others (specifically VW, BMW, Mercedes and the US and Japanese big companies) catch up. Thus, the farcically inflated TSLA share price will at some point go down like a Led Zeppelin imo.

What Musk does have going for him is that advantage of having a Car/Battery/Charging Infrastructure ecosystem in place well before the competition, which if he adds marketshare by releasing the Model 2 (or whatever name its given), will cut into the sales of competition. Its still not a $1k stock, but could wind up settling at about $300-400 range.
I think I saw that as of last week (at least in the UK) they have withdrawn the right of anybody taking a tesla on lease to buy it at the end of the contract... i assumed that this was to give them a critical mass of self driving cars so they could basically have their own uber type service with no driver costs... something like that could be a game changer for them as well

At some point probably their price drops but there is a lot of people lost a lot of money shorting tesla so far

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
That's all by the by though if no-one is willing to pay the higher value you seem to think it's worth.
Volkswagen has factories that have actual value. Buildings, infrastucture are worth for banks, banks give you loan based on colaterall you give to them, they don't give you loans based on future predictions.

Then go tell those hedge fund managers and other people to swap Tesla stocks for VW’s (especially considering that they are roughly 6 times or so cheaper, 1T va 150B evaluation or so) and tell them that they know nothing.

For what is worth I think that Tesla is severely overvalued but at the same price I would definitely take it before VW.
Buying stocks is completely different to buying entire company, you seem to think that the value of one stock presents the value of entire company. Value of the stock changes every day, and value of actual infrastructure, products, history, is pretty much consistent and something that holds value.

If you want to buy Manchester United, their stock can go up high after announcing Ten Hag, but as soon as result go down stock will return to its normal value, but when you are buying Manchester United you'll always get the stadium, players, history, it's infrastructure, fans and potential sales, 75k tickes sold every week, something that pretty much guarantees revenue.

I don't think this is true. I see plenty of business folks driving a Tesla.
Why wouldn't they? Teslas are fine.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I assume you mean Tesla without Musk staying on as CEO?

otherwise why wouldn't I take Tesla for half the price of VW, take it public again and make way way way more money?
Musk being CEO is big part of Tesla's value tbf, not because he is brilliant but because he showed many times that he knows how to raise a value of Tesla's stock without actually doing anything significant regarding improving the product or Tesla's sales(doing illegal things that he shouldn't be doing is one of the reasons for that too).

Tarrou

Musk being CEO is big part of Tesla's value tbf, not because he is brilliant but because he showed many times that he knows how to raise a value of Tesla's stock without actually doing anything significant regarding improving the product or Tesla's sales(doing illegal things that he shouldn't be doing is one of the reasons for that too).
Yeah I know that's what I meant. If you get to keep Musk the only reason you wouldn't take Tesla over VW is if you hate money.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Musk saying it's true. Such a numpty.

WPMUFC

some texts between them leaked too

When people tell you to let rich people amass ungodly fortunes because philanthropy is better than the state. This is what we actually get.

The idea that Bill Gates and Elon can set the agenda's to their flavour of the moment hype projects makes me want to projectile vomit.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

He's still pushing the tesla taxi tunnels? Christ how money can he literally throw down a hole and doesn't matter?