Emi Martinez

Nicoteiro

Oh sh1t, I did not make the link between the WC and now. God they must detest him.
They were booing him and whistling the whole game. He saves the first penalty and first thing he does is silencing them. Then he saves the last penalty and dances in front of them.
The man got proper balls you have to say that.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Really irritating (as intended). Great to have on your side in a shootout though.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
They were booing him and whistling the whole game. He saves the first penalty and first thing he does is silencing them. Then he saves the last penalty and dances in front of them.
The man got proper balls you have to say that.
Yeah I watched it just didn’t twig that it was about more than just that match. I was thinking the same, I’d be legitimately afraid if I had to do what he does. I’m sure he’d be quite useful in a scrap but when you’re outnumbered 1000 to 1 that’s kind of irrelevant.

RedRocket9908

Graham Poll at the 2006 World Cup.
He booked a Croatia player 3 times before sending him off

"His last game was Croatia vs Australia. After already sending off two players, Poll failed to send off Josip Šimunić for a second yellow card late in the match, eventually sending him off for a third yellow for dissent at the final whistle.[8] Poll stated that he had erred in his second booking of Šimunić, marking his card with the correct number (3) but in the wrong column due to Šimunić's Australian accent, meaning he booked Australia's Craig Moore instead of Simunic."

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'd hate to go to penalties and see Emi Martinez in goal, did want Villa to lose though.

didz

Boom!

Was the Martinez situation a similar balls up? Or a quirk of the shootout rules?
Quirk of the rules, cards are 'wiped' at the start of the shootout. It's a relatively new rule, been in place 3/4 years.

Fully Fledged

That’s definitely happened before. English referee too. Can’t remember his name. Big guy with shaved head.
Yeah but to then go on to make the winning save kinda makes him unique.
The last time the player wasn't sent off because the ref messed up, while this time was perfectly legal.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
To think that Arsenal let him go for 20 mil. It was a steal for Villa !!

Pscholes18

First player to be booked twice and not get sent off then go on to save the pen to win the shoot out.
Wait....no one noticed he was already on a yellow? Was someone screaming at the ref that he had been booked already?

Edit
Never mind, just read yellows do not carry over to penalty kicks.

Cloud7

One of my favorite players going in world football these days. He's brilliant. The game needs characters like him

Real Name

He booked a Croatia player 3 times before sending him off

"His last game was Croatia vs Australia. After already sending off two players, Poll failed to send off Josip Šimunić for a second yellow card late in the match, eventually sending him off for a third yellow for dissent at the final whistle.[8] Poll stated that he had erred in his second booking of Šimunić, marking his card with the correct number (3) but in the wrong column due to Šimunić's Australian accent, meaning he booked Australia's Craig Moore instead of Simunic."
Yeah, that was great. :lol:

Morpheus 7

Pantomime villain, absolute clown. I love throwback characters in the game. Shame it's this character though, sickener him and always unsportsmanlike, especially in victory.

Oranges038

Quirk of the rules, cards are 'wiped' at the start of the shootout. It's a relatively new rule, been in place 3/4 years.
Was that because the young Irish keeper was given a second yellow and sent off during a shootout?

There was also some keeper for some Northern Irish team that got sent off in a shootout, where he saved 3 penalties, and each one was ruled out and he got 2 yellows during the shootout.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I love that Arsenal had him right under their nose and they sold him and have replaced him twice with keepers who are worse.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I love that Arsenal had him right under their nose and they sold him and have replaced him twice with keepers who are worse.
Emi wouldn't work in Arsenal's system. He's not that good on the ball or at sweeping, which is what they need and why they ultimately replaced Leno as well, who was a very good shot stopper himself, with Ramsdale.

Jev

You think he’s that good? I don’t think he’s top-shelf, although he’s very good and entertaining in shootouts.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Emi wouldn't work in Arsenal's system. He's not that good on the ball or at sweeping, which is what they need and why they ultimately replaced Leno as well, who was a very good shot stopper himself, with Ramsdale.
I've never seen it with Ramsdale. His ball playing ability isn't exceptional, it's a bit better than the average keeper but then his other credentials are a bit worse than the average keeper in the league.

Raya has good credentials in general keeping and again a bit better ball playing than the average keeper but not exceptional.

Martinez is better than both generally keeping wise I think despite being average at ball playing.

Take Allison for example, it's not his ball playing that's won stuff for Liverpool, it's his outstanding general keeping.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I've never seen it with Ramsdale. His ball playing ability isn't exceptional, it's a bit better than the average keeper but then his other credentials are a bit worse than the average keeper in the league.

Raya has good credentials in general keeping and again a bit better ball playing than the average keeper but not exceptional.

Martinez is better than both generally keeping wise I think despite being average at ball playing.

Take Allison for example, it's not his ball playing that's won stuff for Liverpool, it's his outstanding general keeping.
Ramsdale I agree, even when he had a good start to his Arsenal career I was saying he'll eventually go back to his usual performances and sure enough in the second half of the season he regressed to his mean.

Raya has his issues as well. I'm not arguing that Martinez isn't a better overall keeper than them since his shot stopping is much better but just that I don't think Arteta would've been satisfied with Martinez had they kept him as well. It seems the core need for Arsenal is a keeper who is good with his feet. They would value that more than shot stopping ability.

For Alisson, I think it's easy for us to say Alisson's shot stopping has been of more value but I'm sure coaches and experts will point to occasions where either Alisson's sweeping, or playing out from the back to initiate an attack that leads to a goal, has helped them as well. Those things don't necessarily show up on stats and can be easily forgotten.

Lee565

This guy would have been the perfect keeper for mourinho with his shthousery and penalty save success due to mourinho love of playing for draws in knockout games

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ramsdale I agree, even when he had a good start to his Arsenal career I was saying he'll eventually go back to his usual performances and sure enough in the second half of the season he regressed to his mean.

Raya has his issues as well. I'm not arguing that Martinez isn't a better overall keeper than them since his shot stopping is much better but just that I don't think Arteta would've been satisfied with Martinez had they kept him as well. It seems the core need for Arsenal is a keeper who is good with his feet. They would value that more than shot stopping ability.

For Alisson, I think it's easy for us to say Alisson's shot stopping has been of more value but I'm sure coaches and experts will point to occasions where either Alisson's sweeping, or playing out from the back to initiate an attack that leads to a goal, has helped them as well. Those things don't necessarily show up on stats and can be easily forgotten.
According to FBref, Martinez has been very good in terms of sweeping this season. I think he's definitely improved on it under Emery. I think the desire to have someone who is a ball playing in goal makes managers ignore the vital fundamentals really and I don't think it's worth negating that despite slightly understanding why.