Emi Martinez

The Purley King

Nobody said he was a genius.

Arteta knew he was a massive bellend, knew he didn't suit how he wanted to play, got rid and brought in Ramsdale who is just more suited to how he wants to play and it's worked. It's quite a simple concept.
If he did let him go due to character reasons, evidence thus far suggests he is spot on.
Ditto aubameyang.
Edit - and guendouzi

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Ramsdale is not better at one single aspect of goalkeeping than Martinez. Arteta just likes players who don't have personalities bigger than his. Which you would think would be quite difficult to find given how robotic he is but apparently not.
If you watched both of them play you would know that Ramsdale is infinitely better on the ball and with his passing and distribution which is crucial to the way Arteta likes to play.

Overall, Martinez is a great tournament goalkeeper but Ramsdale is definitely more consistent over a 38 game season. Other than penalties, what do you think Martinez has over Ramsdale?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
If he did let him go due to character reasons, evidence thus far suggests he is spot on.

"Obviously, it wasn't in my plans to sell him," Arteta said. "But we gave him the chance because he deserved it.

"He performed really, really well but we have to balance the books. We have to make the right choices in the market and obviously, I couldn't guarantee him to be the number one.

"He's a very ambitious person, he has been working really hard and he can see now that the opportunity is there. He's got the opportunity to play with Argentina and when a player asks you to do that I think you have to be open enough and tell him what you think about him.

"If he makes the decision to leave, you should try to support him because he deserves it for the way he has served the club over the years."

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-reasons-why-we-had-let-emi-go?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+arsenal-news+(News+Feed)

He got to a point in his career where under me he started to play big games very well.

'It was urgent for him because he wanted to play so long. He's a great kid. I played with him I managed him. I can say that I'm happy for him.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...n-sell-16m-Emiliano-Martinez-Aston-Villa.html

Can only imagine the fume on here if Martinez does this in the next shootout ;

Or this ;

https://youtube.com/shorts/RCv_jx6sI88?feature=share

No wonder Arteta ditched the South American scumbag for the humble and classy Englishman.

Last edited:

FujiVice

I think people misunderstand what being a twat is in football. Joey Barton is a horrendous character, who costs his team points, matches and ultimately cant be trusted in the starting 11. Martinez is clearly an over the top shit for brains when the ball isnt in play, but you really wouldnt want to be without him in that World Cup final. He raised those players in a couple of games. He's got his faults, but his character isnt one of them.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
There have bene players we let go that we do regret selling. Gnabry for one. But not Emi Martinez. Im glad he has done well for himself, but its comical how rival fans think we are crushed having sold him.

Yes, we have no regrets selling him and ending up with Ramsdale as a replacement. Ramsdale fits out style like a glove, great with the ball at feet, and seldom makes a mistake and has bailed out us a few times his season. Ramsdale has won points for Arsenal this season. His performances against Palace and Leeds away helped us walk away with 6 points when it could have been 2 points or1 points. You will not be able to think of a moment this season when Ramsdale has cost Arsenal points or let a really soft goal in. People think he is 'dodgy' when he is as steady as they come. Contrast to Lloris, Mendy, De Gea who are goalkeepers you can charge as guilty for ruining their teams matches this season. De Gea v Brentford, Lloris v Newcastle. Mendy v Leeds - three losses all because of dodgy keeping. Go on, name a match Ramsdale cost Arsenal............Ramsdale is better than every keeper in the league bar Ederson and Allison.

When Villa visited the Emirates this year Emi Martinez spilled a shot hit right at him and got a weak hand to Martinelli effort in our 2-1 win. Why would we trade the safety and security of Ramsdale for Emi Martinez ? Because he is good at saving penalties? Because he is a World Cup winner? Whats being a World Cup winner got to do with anything. You can pair World Cup winners Martinez and Varane together...........and it wouldn't matter that they are World Cup winners.

Its hilarious watching rival fans try to convince themselves Arsenal fans are stinging from allowing Martinez to leave...............were really not.

It would be like me coming on here and saying, god, Man United must be reeling from allowing World Cup winner Di Maria to leave. Imagine allowing World Cup winner Di Maria to leave and playing Rashford in his stead. Is that how it work? Do you guys regret selling Di Maria because he would later win the World Cup?

TheRedHearted

There have bene players we let go that we do regret selling. Gnabry for one. But not Emi Martinez. Im glad he has done well for himself, but its comical how rival fans think we are crushed having sold him.

Yes, we have no regrets selling him and ending up with Ramsdale as a replacement. Ramsdale fits out style like a glove, great with the ball at feet, and seldom makes a mistake and has bailed out us a few times his season. Ramsdale has won points for Arsenal this season. His performances against Palace and Leeds away helped us walk away with 6 points when it could have been 2 points or1 points. You will not be able to think of a moment this season when Ramsdale has cost Arsenal points or let a really soft goal in. People think he is 'dodgy' when he is as steady as they come. Contrast to Lloris, Mendy, De Gea who are goalkeepers you can charge as guilty for ruining their teams matches this season. De Gea v Brentford, Lloris v Newcastle. Mendy v Leeds - three losses all because of dodgy keeping. Go on, name a match Ramsdale cost Arsenal............Ramsdale is better than every keeper in the league bar Ederson and Allison.

When Villa visited the Emirates this year Emi Martinez spilled a shot hit right at him and got a weak hand to Martinelli effort in our 2-1 win. Why would we trade the safety and security of Ramsdale for Emi Martinez ? Because he is good at saving penalties? Because he is a World Cup winner? Whats being a World Cup winner got to do with anything. You can pair World Cup winners Martinez and Varane together...........and it wouldn't matter that they are World Cup winners.

Its hilarious watching rival fans try to convince themselves Arsenal fans are stinging from allowing Martinez to leave...............were really not.

It would be like me coming on here and saying, god, Man United must be reeling from allowing World Cup winner Di Maria to leave. Imagine allowing World Cup winner Di Maria to leave and playing Rashford in his stead. Is that how it work? Do you guys regret selling Di Maria because he would later win the World Cup?
I would have prefer di Maria stay. Rotating with rashford, and his “terrible seasonal with joint second assists in the league isnt so bad. We could have used him

Oranges038

Ramsdale is not better at one single aspect of goalkeeping than Martinez. Arteta just likes players who don't have personalities bigger than his. Which you would think would be quite difficult to find given how robotic he is but apparently not.
Alex Ferguson did this all the time, not sure how it's something to criticise Arteta for.

Amazingly Arsenal are a better defensive unit with Ramsdale. While Martinez isn't pulling up any trees at Villa. So while he may not exactly be a better keeper, he's a better keeper for that team.

Arteta has done a great job weeding the knobheads out of Arsenal and knew he was a bellend as well. Martinez said after he left that one of the reasons he left was because he was told he was 95% sure to start the season as no.1. He felt it should havv been 100%. He is just another Lehman and they were 100% right to let him go.

Schmeichel explains this concept perfectly.

Last edited:

The Purley King

"Obviously, it wasn't in my plans to sell him," Arteta said. "But we gave him the chance because he deserved it.

"He performed really, really well but we have to balance the books. We have to make the right choices in the market and obviously, I couldn't guarantee him to be the number one.

"He's a very ambitious person, he has been working really hard and he can see now that the opportunity is there. He's got the opportunity to play with Argentina and when a player asks you to do that I think you have to be open enough and tell him what you think about him.

"If he makes the decision to leave, you should try to support him because he deserves it for the way he has served the club over the years."

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-reasons-why-we-had-let-emi-go?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+arsenal-news+(News+Feed)

He got to a point in his career where under me he started to play big games very well.

'It was urgent for him because he wanted to play so long. He's a great kid. I played with him I managed him. I can say that I'm happy for him.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...n-sell-16m-Emiliano-Martinez-Aston-Villa.html

Can only imagine the fume on here if Martinez does this in the next shootout ;

Or this ;

https://youtube.com/shorts/RCv_jx6sI88?feature=share

No wonder Arteta ditched the South American scumbag for the humble and classy Englishman.
I didn’t say ramsdale was any better……

Oranges038

Ditto aubameyang.
Edit - and guendouzi
Yeah, I read a bit about it ealrier.in the year. Arteta knows what he wants and him and Edu behind the scenes have done a good job weeding out that squad.

Robbie Boy

Should watch Arsenl more than. Ramsdale is a great keeper and plays with his feet to the point its like having another outfield player at the back.
Is he feck a "great keeper" :lol:

My brother supports Arsenal and doesn't particularly rate him. You Arsenal fans are on fire this season :lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don't get why people think Arsenal would become a better team with Martinez versus Ramsdale/Leno. Martinez has a save percentage of lower than 70% the last two seasons, right in the mid table amongst Prem keepers, and has conceded more goals than expected, again mid table in the Prem. The only category where he is at the top is stopping crosses, which everyone knows is a clear strength of his.

It's a typical example of a player being overrated because of a competition. He is an amazing penalty kick stopper and that does help in elevating his image.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If you watched both of them play you would know that Ramsdale is infinitely better on the ball and with his passing and distribution which is crucial to the way Arteta likes to play.

Overall, Martinez is a great tournament goalkeeper but Ramsdale is definitely more consistent over a 38 game season. Other than penalties, what do you think Martinez has over Ramsdale?
I've watched both of them play thanks. Ramsdale is quite good on the ball but calling it anything more than that would be a stretch. He's not better than Martinez who is also decent. Martinez is a much better shot stopper, just as good a command of his area, good leader,...he's actually not had a great season until the world cup but I think he was the best keeper in the league last year where he was superbly consistent.

The main thing Ramsdale has over Martinez is that he's young and impressionable and so Arteta is less likely to fall out with him. Choosing Leno over Martinez (who'd been there 10 years or something!) says a lot more about Arsenal's coaching staff than it does Martinez' ability.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I've watched both of them play thanks. Ramsdale is quite good on the ball but calling it anything more than that would be a stretch. He's not better than Martinez who is also decent. Martinez is a much better shot stopper, just as good a command of his area, good leader,...he's actually not had a great season until the world cup but I think he was the best keeper in the league last year where he was superbly consistent.

The main thing Ramsdale has over Martinez is that he's young and impressionable and so Arteta is less likely to fall out with him. Choosing Leno over Martinez (who'd been there 10 years or something!) says a lot more about Arsenal's coaching staff than it does Martinez' ability.
You might not think Ramsdale is better on the ball… but fans who watch Arsenal every week and a Manager who insists on playing out from back think he is.

Ramsdale is a younger keeper who is more suited to our style of play. The only areas where Martinez is superior is claiming crosses and saving penalties. I’d like Ramsdale to improve at both, but I wouldn’t swap them. Martinez hasn’t actually been in all that great form for Villa for most of this year. His strengths are more suited to tournament football (contributing to his Copa America and World Cup success).

I’m happy for him (other than him being a bit of a bell end during the shootout, ceremony and celebrations). The move worked out for him, Arsenal, Villa and Argentina.

TwoSheds

You might not think Ramsdale is better on the ball… but fans who watch Arsenal every week and a Manager who insists on playing out from back think he is.

Ramsdale is a younger keeper who is more suited to our style of play. The only areas where Martinez is superior is claiming crosses and saving penalties. I’d like Ramsdale to improve at both, but I wouldn’t swap them. Martinez hasn’t actually been in all that great form for Villa for most of this year. His strengths are more suited to tournament football (contributing to his Copa America and World Cup success).

I’m happy for him (other than him being a bit of a bell end during the shootout, ceremony and celebrations). The move worked out for him, Arsenal, Villa and Argentina.
That same manager thought Bernd Leno was a better keeper than Martinez. He's a chip off the inadequate Spanish robot production line, everything I hate about modern football. Glad you're enjoying it though, Merry Christmas!

Revan

Assumptionman

Better in the air, and better at shot stopping.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
That same manager thought Bernd Leno was a better keeper than Martinez. He's a chip off the inadequate Spanish robot production line, everything I hate about modern football. Glad you're enjoying it though, Merry Christmas!
Except he didn't think Leno was a better keeper. He dropped Leno for Martinez and then told Martinez he was likely to keep his place after winning the FA Cup. But Martinez wanted guarantees and that is not our policy, so he left for a team that would give it to him.

It really is a situation that benefitted everyone involved. The idea that Arsenal fans are crying because 12th place Aston Villa's keeper just won the World Cup is kinda funny to me. Why would that be a problem?

TwoSheds

Except he didn't think Leno was a better keeper. He dropped Leno for Martinez and then told Martinez he was likely to keep his place after winning the FA Cup. But Martinez wanted guarantees and that is not our policy, so he left for a team that would give it to him.

It really is a situation that benefitted everyone involved. The idea that Arsenal fans are crying because 12th place Aston Villa's keeper just won the World Cup is kinda funny to me. Why would that be a problem?
Who said Arsenal fans are crying? All I said is Martinez was and is a better keeper than Leno and Ramsdale. You lot are happy though, no problem, good for you, you're having a great season.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Who said Arsenal fans are crying? All I said is Martinez was and is a better keeper than Leno and Ramsdale. You lot are happy though, no problem, good for you, you're having a great season.
Yeah, fair enough. I disagree. And the fact that he's playing for Aston Villa at the age of 30 suggests that Managers at top clubs aren't convinced he's better than their current options either.

He's a decent shot stopper, who comes out to meet crosses and saves quite a few penalties. That translates very well into international football and game highlights. but if that doesn't necessarily mean that's who you want as the number 1 at your club.

Also, he refused to stay and fight for his place despite being in possession of it. Not an ideal attitude. But hey, it's all about opinions.

TwoSheds

Yeah, fair enough. I disagree. And the fact that he's playing for Aston Villa at the age of 30 suggests that Managers at top clubs aren't convinced he's better than their current options either.

He's a decent shot stopper, who comes out to meet crosses and saves quite a few penalties. That translates very well into international football and game highlights. but if that doesn't necessarily mean that's who you want as the number 1 at your club.

Also, he refused to stay and fight for his place despite being in possession of it. Not an ideal attitude. But hey, it's all about opinions.
So you say, if I'd been at the club 10 years and was performing well I might expect some commitment about my playing time too. Arteta doesn't strike me as the most trustworthy manager around, but that's just reading the tea leaves. You'll likely never know what really happened but having the guy at the club for 10 years and basically forgetting about him seems strange to me. And my flatmate watches every Villa game, so don't worry I've seen plenty more than just highlights. Far more than I'd care to frankly! :lol:

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
So you say, if I'd been at the club 10 years and was performing well I might expect some commitment about my playing time too. Arteta doesn't strike me as the most trustworthy manager around, but that's just reading the tea leaves. You'll likely never know what really happened but having the guy at the club for 10 years and basically forgetting about him seems strange to me. And my flatmate watches every Villa game, so don't worry I've seen plenty more than just highlights. Far more than I'd care to frankly! :lol:
Yeah, that's a fair point. The romantic in me would love Martinez to have stayed. Ramsdale is English and has a great relationship with our fans, but Emi felt like one of our own due to when he joined and the length of his tenure. So much so that I felt he'd let himself down a bit with his antics during and after the final. Most players I don't care about enough to be disappointed.

It reminds me a little bit of Pires' departure. When Lehmann got sent off in the first half of the CL final, Wenger subbed him off for Alumnia. It was purely tactical. We were playing 4-5-1 and he was our 10. He was clearly the obvious choice... but he felt like Wenger didn't fully trust him on the biggest game of his life and that led to him leaving. Sometime players just need to feel the love. I do think this is an area Arteta could improve in.

Hulme91

Bizarre how a decent World Cup can elevate your standing to an almost ludicrous degree

By popular opinion (not saying it's true or not) Martinez was nothing more than an above average EPL goalkeeper pre tournament and now....

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
By popular opinion (not saying it's true or not) Martinez was nothing more than an above average EPL goalkeeper pre tournament and now....
I think most would still agree that he's an above average premier league goalkeeper.

He's not as good/ talented as Alisson Becker (Who I rate as the best in the league) but he is solid (if unspectacular) at most (if not all) of the fundamentals of goalkeeping alongside a niche skillset which is extremely important for tournament football (especially at international level where the margins seem finer).

I don't think anyone rated Lloris any higher after his World Cup win in 2018 either.

diarm

Ramsdale isn't fit to lick the spit off Martinez's boots.

And there's plenty of spit down there. The mad bastard is foaming at the mouth half the time.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Better in the air, and better at shot stopping.
How did you come to that conclusion? Because Ramsdale has a higher save percentage than Martinez this season and last season. Infact he has the 2nd highest out of all the keepers in the top 6 (Behind Alisson).

Zetrio2002

E. Martinez has achieved much more than Ramsdale as of now so if you ask any casuals or non-Arsenal fans, there's little chance anyone will rate Ramsdale over him.

The one good thing about Ramsdale is that he's proactive and daring. Martinez is as well but he may get more laid back after winning the World cup and Copa.

Martinez is still amazing though. Don't forget he has to lead a line managed by Steven Gerrard and his team only conceded 54 goals in the league last season, not forgetting the last 3 goals were conceded by Olsen and City won the title over Liverpool in the last few mins. City was lucky not to face him as his sheer size and arrogance will cause players to shoot off target.

Last edited:

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Martinez did well on penalties (I dont think a final should ever be decided by penalties but that is a different topic). It is something he excels at because there is also a gamesmanship aspect to it. At the time I was a little surprised they kept Leno over Martinez but I can understand why now. It's ok for a quick tourney format but not as a regular player. You do not want too much of this on your team, it kills the team chemistry. And god knows we had a lot of player character issues in recent years.

Rams still has aspects to improve on, but he has been solid for us overall. No regrets there at all. I think we have our best GK since Lehmann. Of course that itself is not saying THAT much. Cech was obviously not the same GK by the time he came to us.

No. There's a reason Arsenal loaned him to half the clubs in England and he ended up at Villa. A penalty shootout in the World Cup has elevated his reputation to ridiculous levels.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
No class but can't deny he is strong of mind and body. Cocksure, arrogant and petty. Something we lack.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No. There's a reason Arsenal loaned him to half the clubs in England and he ended up at Villa. A penalty shootout in the World Cup has elevated his reputation to ridiculous levels.
He has been good since he started playing for Arsenal at the back end of that season. He dipped a bit sometime last year but was still good.