Emi Martinez

Oranges038

He has had his legendary moment. Quite like Jerzy Dudek has his moment in the CL final in 2005. Im not denying Martinez performance will be iconic. He will go down in World Cup history

But as far as club football goes, I prefer week to week stability and reliability, players that sync together and know how to play the managers system.

If people think Arsenal fans are regretting the sale of Martinez they are wrong. Look at the goals conceded stat, look at the clean sheet table. Ramsdale leads both.

If other fans want thier club to try and sign Emi Martinez so they can proxy project Argentina glory onto their own club, do it.

No regrets at all swapping Ramsdale for Martinez.
The style of keeper has to suit the style of the team, I think a lot of people just don't understand that. Most Utd fans think DDG is one of the best goalkeepers in the world, when in reality and statistically he's one of the worst in the league.

Arteta has made many good decisions at Arseanal about players. He has clearly looked at him as not being good enough on the ball or good enough overall to suit how he wants to play. Martinez is decent, but there's no way Arsenal play how they do now with him in the team.

Judas

Open to offers
The style of keeper has to suit the style of the team, I think a lot of people just don't understand that. Most Utd fans think DDG is one of the best goalkeepers in the world, when in reality and statistically he's one of the worst in the league.

Arteta has made many good decisions at Arseanal about players. He has clearly looked at him as not being good enough on the ball or good enough overall to suit how he wants to play. Martinez is decent, but there's no way Arsenal play how they do now with him in the team.
Not sure that's been the case for many years at this point.

Oranges038

Not sure that's been the case for many years at this point.
Maybe I'm just going by the amount if people who defend him on here. The GK decision Arteta made is the same one ETH needs to make.

Oranges038

Yes! We need to sell Aston Villa’s GK. What, what?!
I mean the decision to get rid of a player who doesn't suit how he wants the team to play.

Utd need to get rid of DDG and bring in a keeper that actually compliments ETH's style of play properly.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I mean the decision to get rid of a player who doesn't suit how he wants the team to play.

Utd need to get rid of DDG and bring in a keeper that actually compliments ETH's style of play properly.
Yeah I know, just being facetious, sorry. Hopefully the category of keeper ETH wants doesn’t include this guy, he’s a cock. A massive golden glove shaped one. Classless too.

Oranges038

Yeah I know, just being facetious, sorry. Hopefully the category of keeper ETH wants doesn’t include this guy, he’s a cock. A massive golden glove shaped one. Classless too.
If he wasn't good enough for what Arteta wanted at Arsenal I don't see how he'd be anywhere near good enough for Utd under ETH.

Bwuk

He has had his legendary moment. Quite like Jerzy Dudek has his moment in the CL final in 2005. Im not denying Martinez performance will be iconic. He will go down in World Cup history

But as far as club football goes, I prefer week to week stability and reliability, players that sync together and know how to play the managers system.

If people think Arsenal fans are regretting the sale of Martinez they are wrong. Look at the goals conceded stat, look at the clean sheet table. Ramsdale leads both.

If other fans want thier club to try and sign Emi Martinez so they can proxy project Argentina glory onto their own club, do it.

No regrets at all swapping Ramsdale for Martinez.
Perhaps because Ramsdale doesn't have Tyrone Mings playing infront of him ffs.

Martinez is better. Ramsdale can't even get a look in for England over Pickford.

dinostar77

Would love him at Utd. Need balls to be keeper for utd and excell at it. He has that in abundance.

dinostar77

DDG is a top keeper. Just because its in vogue to have sweeper keepers who can play abit, doesnt stop the fundamentals of being a keeper from changing, i.e making saves to stop goals being conceeded.

Also we arent talking football manager here. Its hard to move a keeper on £350,000 a week. If he was that bad, henderson would be starting but he got shipped out as he isnt good enough.

He may not suit ETH style, but football is full of conpromises and we need a no9 more than we need a keeper.

Smores

ETH seems to disagree as we're reportedly trying to get him on a new lower contract. He certainly didn't rush to bring in Henderson or Dubravaka both of which you claimed would easily displace DDG.

The vast majority of keepers who are good with their feet are shite and the good ones are taken. Better to bring in a decent shot stopper than limit ourselves to sub standard options in some obsession over style.

Oranges038

Perhaps because Ramsdale doesn't have Tyrone Mings playing infront of him ffs.

Martinez is better. Ramsdale can't even get a look in for England over Pickford.
He had his chance at Arsenal.

It's not really about who is the better keeper, Ramsdale was brought in because he's a better fit for Arteta's team. And it's working, they have a better defence and are top of the league.

DDG is a top keeper. Just because its in vogue to have sweeper keepers who can play abit, doesnt stop the fundamentals of being a keeper from changing, i.e making saves to stop goals being conceeded.

Also we arent talking football manager here. Its hard to move a keeper on £350,000 a week. If he was that bad, henderson would be starting but he got shipped out as he isnt good enough.

He may not suit ETH style, but football is full of conpromises and we need a no9 more than we need a keeper.
He isn't a top keeper.

It's not just in vogue to be able to pass, sweep, claim crosses, organise your defence etc these are and always have been basics of goalkeeping that he fails at regularly. Even his shot stopping has been sub par. Statistically one of the worst keepers in the league for the last few years, with only a slight improvement this season.

He hasn't signed anything yet, his options are severely limited, no other top club is touching him, offer him half of what he's on if he doesn't want it. Then show him the door.

dinostar77

He had his chance at Arsenal.

It's not really about who is the better keeper, Ramsdale was brought in because he's a better fit for Arteta's team. And it's working, they have a better defence and are top of the league.

He isn't a top keeper.

It's not just in vogue to be able to pass, sweep, claim crosses, organise your defence etc these are and always have been basics of goalkeeping that he fails at regularly. Even his shot stopping has been sub par. Statistically one of the worst keepers in the league for the last few years, with only a slight improvement this season.

He hasn't signed anything yet, his options are severely limited, no other top club is touching him, offer him half of what he's on if he doesn't want it. Then show him the door.
Hes been our player of the year for 4 years on the trot not so long ago. Still one of the best stop stoppers in the league.

Utd obviously want to keep him, just on lower wages. So if ETH and his coaches think hes good enough than thats good enough for me.

Since your so anti DDG, who do you propose Utd sign realisitically to replace him?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Having class while celebrating a title... :lol:

If you had full access to a team's dressing room after a victory like this you'll know this is a common place in competitive sports. Nowadays with how quick things get viral, players are usually more careful on public celebrations.

Oranges038

Hes been our player of the year for 4 years on the trot not so long ago. Still one of the best stop stoppers in the league.

Utd obviously want to keep him, just on lower wages. So if ETH and his coaches think hes good enough than thats good enough for me.

Since your so anti DDG, who do you propose Utd sign realisitically to replace him?
Not Martinez for a start.

Costa seems to be a good shout but he's a bit flappy on crosses. Then you have Sanchez and Raya, I'd go more toward Sanchez.

I'd also be keeping an eye on Bazunu and that kid from Belgium Vandevoort, but I think he is signing for one of the RB teams in the next year or so.

Swedish_Plumber

It’s very strange that he’s taking the piss out of Mbappe when he scored 3 plus the pen in the shootout.

Captain unlikeable in a team full of unlikeable twats.

IFC 1905

I don't think he is a bad guy at all. He's a good person, it's just he goes to the extreme many times. But I bet you that if Mbappe does a mockery in front of him in the next game, he will go and shake his hand saying "You beat me this time lad" . I've seen him doing it with other players, he takes it as part of the game.

Then you have Paredes who is an idiot 24/7.
Cuti Romero also has some behavior I can't accept at matches.

Zoo

"Argentina haven't played games of great quality to reach the World Cup," Mbappe recently told TNT Sports Brasil. "In South America football isn't as advanced as Europe. That's why if you look at the last World Cups it's always the Europeans that win."

What Mbappe said before the World Cup. Asked for it perhaps..

Martinez is also a bit of an idiot but at the end of the game he actually went to console Mbappe and picked him up.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I don't think he is a bad guy at all.
He isn't mate don't worry about it.

One nations cnut is another nations Hero.

Martinez is also a bit of an idiot but at the end of the game he actually went to console Mbappe and picked him up.
I've been trying to point this part out in the Argentina thread because nobody seems to want to know or talk about it (instead just shitting on him) much like the actions of the Dutch in the quarters.

One guy was even saying that he's provoking Mbappe during the moment you are talked my about because he was touching his face with spit infused gloves.

JB7

4 years out of 5, very impressive I agree but the most recent was in 17/18, surely we're not looking at what players did over 4 years ago as a barometer for what they are doing now?! Particularly with the wildly differing styles of play that Mourinho wanted to produce vs Ten Hag?

And he's statistically the 21st best shot stopper in the league this season with a post shot xG of -3.7. And that's ignoring the things he's always terrible at like sweeping (16th) and crosses (18th). So yeah, he's great.

Oranges038

ETH seems to disagree as we're reportedly trying to get him on a new lower contract. He certainly didn't rush to bring in Henderson or Dubravaka both of which you claimed would easily displace DDG.

The vast majority of keepers who are good with their feet are shite and the good ones are taken. Better to bring in a decent shot stopper than limit ourselves to sub standard options in some obsession over style.
I maintained Henderson should have been no.1 ahead of him based on the sizeable chunk of the season he played where he outperformed him in almost every way. The team defensive performances and overall results were also better during that period. Turns out Henderson seems to be a massive bellend and looks like he has ruined any chance he might have had.

Dubravka I think I said would replace him if given the chance, he's only had 2 league cup games, so he's not really had the chance yet. Maybe he's a little too eager to try and impress which can lead to mistakes and he ends up looking like a clown. Which he did last night.

Bwuk

I maintained Henderson should have been no.1 ahead of him based on the sizeable chunk of the season he played where he outperformed him in almost every way. The team defensive performances and overall results were also better during that period. Turns out Henderson seems to be a massive bellend and looks like he has ruined any chance he might have had.

Dubravka I think I said would replace him if given the chance, he's only had 2 league cup games, so he's not really had the chance yet. Maybe he's a little too eager to try and impress which can lead to mistakes and he ends up looking like a clown. Which he did last night.

If he wasn't shite he'd still be at Newcastle. Bizarre loan.

De Gea isn't brilliant anymore but he's miles ahead of Dubravka or Henderson ffs.

dinostar77

Henderson is good keeper for a lower league side where hes kept busy all the time.

It takes a different mentality to be keeper for a elite club where you might do sod all for 70 mins then have to pull out a world class save.

Henderson didnt have this in his locker. Plus the very best keepers (at their peak) can pull off saves they have no right to make. Henderson isnt in that catergory.

Theres a certain mental toughness required to be a Utd keeper, as we all found out when it took forever to replace schemiechel with van der saar as the proper no1 keeper.

I know we've been linked with the leeds keeper Illan Meslier last summer. If leeds were to go down i think we'd be first at their door wanting to sign him.

The other two PL keepers that @oranges0308 mentioned i havent really watched, but will do now till end of season.

Oranges038

If he wasn't shite he'd still be at Newcastle. Bizarre loan.

De Gea isn't brilliant anymore but he's miles ahead of Dubravka or Henderson ffs.
In your opinion he is, Just like in your opnion Martinez is better than Ramsdale, but Arsenal are better now with Ramsdale than they would be with Martinez. He's already had his chance there.

And overall DDG really isn't that much better than either. The other two have overall a more rounded skillset. Outside of the occasionally outrageous reflex saves DDG really isn't all that.

Zetrio2002

It was never about Martinez vs Ramsdale. Martinez started playing when Cech and Leno got injured and he proved himself in just half a season. Martinez learnt more skills from Cech in the way he handled the ball and positioned himself.

Next season, Cech and Martinez both left and Arsenal was left with Leno. Ramsdale only joined Arsenal one season later after Martinez left.

Last edited:

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Happy he isn't at Arsenal anymore. He had his moment in the sun but we have a better gk than him. In terms of class geez...we could do no worse.

We need to get rid of penalties especially from finals. It gives too many props for a remote skill which is saving a penalty and/or casts a dark shadow with the inevitable subsequent trolling for a player missing one. Players shouldn't be remembered almost solely for missing a penalty and gk should not be remembered mostly for saving one. Get rid of...

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Happy he isn't at Arsenal anymore. He had his moment in the sun but we have a better gk than him. In terms of class geez...we could do no worse.

We need to get rid of penalties especially from finals. It gives too many props for a remote skill which is saving a penalty and/or casts a dark shadow with the inevitable subsequent trolling for a player missing one. Players shouldn't be remembered almost solely for missing a penalty and gk should not be remembered mostly for saving one. Get rid of...
And replace with?

Yakuza_devils

One of the best WC performance from a GK ever. The 2nd most influential player after Messi in winning the WC.

And Arsenal fans come in here lecturing us Ramsdale is the better keeper. Ok.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The idea that Arteta is some sort of genius for letting Martinez go and splashing out on fecking Ramsdale :lol:

Oranges038

The idea that Arteta is some sort of genius for letting Martinez go and splashing out on fecking Ramsdale :lol:
Nobody said he was a genius.

Arteta knew he was a massive bellend, knew he didn't suit how he wanted to play, got rid and brought in Ramsdale who is just more suited to how he wants to play and it's worked. It's quite a simple concept.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Nobody said he was a genius.

Arteta knew he was a massive bellend, knew he didn't suit how he wanted to play, got rid and brought in Ramsdale who is just more suited to how he wants to play and it's worked. It's quite a simple concept.
Ramsdale is not better at one single aspect of goalkeeping than Martinez. Arteta just likes players who don't have personalities bigger than his. Which you would think would be quite difficult to find given how robotic he is but apparently not.