Emi Martinez

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The question is irrelevant, but doesn’t Ramsdale have a more than decent track record stopping one on ones anyway? There’s no reason to think he wouldn’t.

At any major club Ramsdale would be picked ahead of him.
I disagree, martinez's performance for country has been phenomenal, I don't think ramsdale has ever matches that.

Agree on the second point, aside from some of the more rugged big clubs(Atletico, juve etc) the rest will probably prefer Ramsdale due to him being more modern.

Although courtois isn't particularly good with his feet either so who knows.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Nah, Harald Schumacher had that wrapped up as his since 82, as remember the French newspapers ran a poll of the top 3 hated men in France where, this guy beat HITLER into second place. After the 82 thing at the world cup where he almost took the French lads head off causing him 2 teeth and 3 cracked ribs, and I quote his response to news that Battiston had lost two teeth: "If that's all that's wrong, tell him I'll pay for the crowns"

As for Emi, was that done prior to dressing messi up in his robe ?
I really like to know who came out on top :lol:

Robbie Boy

I disagree, martinez's performance for country has been phenomenal, I don't think ramsdale has ever matches that.

Agree on the second point, aside from some of the more rugged big clubs(Atletico, juve etc) the rest will probably prefer Ramsdale due to him being more modern.

Although courtois isn't particularly good with his feet either so who knows.
Martinez is far better.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Martinez is far better.
Purely on his goalkeeping credentials? Yes , he's a betting shot stopper and has a commanding grasp of his box.

But there's more to it these days, ederson for example is far from being a shot stopping savant, but he plays for problems the best club side in Europe.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Martinez is better than Ramsdale in shithousery, psyching the opposition out and generally being an ass. All qualities which prove vital in penalty shootouts. But for regular club football Ramsdale is better. Though of course Ramsdale hasn't had the luck to be involved in too many penalty shootouts, so we never know how much of an idiot he can be.

Tommy79

Though of course Ramsdale hasn't had the luck to be involved in too many penalty shootouts, so we never know how much of an idiot he can be.
I know when they played Chelsea last season after saka scored he started waving at the Chelsea fans and wasn't it against us ran up after saka scored a pen against us and was acting like he won the league?

I really like to know who came out on top :lol:
Sadly, while all point to what I said, none point to who was number 1.

Robbie Boy

Purely on his goalkeeping credentials? Yes , he's a betting shot stopper and has a commanding grasp of his box.

But there's more to it these days, ederson for example is far from being a shot stopping savant, but he plays for problems the best club side in Europe.
Better than Ramsdale? Definitely. Then again, I think Ramsdale is a dud.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Martinez is better than Ramsdale in shithousery, psyching the opposition out and generally being an ass. All qualities which prove vital in penalty shootouts. But for regular club football Ramsdale is better. Though of course Ramsdale hasn't had the luck to be involved in too many penalty shootouts, so we never know how much of an idiot he can be.
Both parties moved on. Really happy for Martinez and what a career he has with Copa and World cup in his trophy cabinet. Martinez is world class in saving penalty.

lex talionis

A shitehouse of a keeper, but his shitehousery definitely affected the third (?) France pk taker and he's enjoying eternal glory now. All within the rules, so no serious complaints, but the referee should have booked Martinez for his antics.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Both parties moved on. Really happy for Martinez and what a career he has with Copa and World cup in his trophy cabinet. Martinez is world class in saving penalty.
I struggle to think of a better GK at pens right now that's currently playing.

NoPace

I like Ramsdale, but Arsenal could use some bottle, probably, though I might just be unfairly equating them with late Wenger teams. Who has that winner/killer kind of personality Martinez has there? Martinelli, maybe Saka, Partey if healthy sure why not, but they still sort of project as kind of a soft side and Martinez might help with that.

That said, I hate discussing intangibles, and as keepers I think Ramsdale probably grades higher week to week for this season and last in the Prem. Might be hard to get up for Villa games for Martinez, though.

TheReligion

Abusive
Typically Arsenal to have a goalkeeper like Martinez, never bother with him, buy lots of rubbish to replace him only to see him leave and become amazing whilst winning the World Cup :lol:

If you didn’t laugh you’d cry..

I like Ramsdale mind

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Better than Ramsdale? Definitely. Then again, I think Ramsdale is a dud.
Should watch Arsenl more than. Ramsdale is a great keeper and plays with his feet to the point its like having another outfield player at the back.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I genuinely think Ramsdale is one of the more over-rated players in the league... and a small part of that I think is Arsenal fans not wanting the club to look daft for letting Martinez go.

Martinez is a much better keeper then Ramsdale in my opinion.
He is going by the stats.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Will that save go down as one of the best ever? When you think about the context.

Bwuk

Cant play with his feet. Cant act as an outlet for the defenders in wanting to retain possession.
World Cup winner, with many outstanding saves and was a hero in the shoot out.

Doesn't seem like this ability to play with his feet affected Argentina?

TheReligion

Abusive
World Cup winner, with many outstanding saves and was a hero in the shoot out.

Doesn't seem like this ability to play with his feet affected Argentina?
Yes but playing for Arsenal under Arteta is simply another level don’t you know? Gods amongst us mere mortals.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
He has had his legendary moment. Quite like Jerzy Dudek has his moment in the CL final in 2005. Im not denying Martinez performance will be iconic. He will go down in World Cup history

But as far as club football goes, I prefer week to week stability and reliability, players that sync together and know how to play the managers system.

If people think Arsenal fans are regretting the sale of Martinez they are wrong. Look at the goals conceded stat, look at the clean sheet table. Ramsdale leads both.

If other fans want thier club to try and sign Emi Martinez so they can proxy project Argentina glory onto their own club, do it.

No regrets at all swapping Ramsdale for Martinez.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
my 3 boys are going around emulating his groin thrust all week. Its not a fecking good look.

Idxomer

Ramsdale himself is a shithouse and a very unlikeable character.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He’s done something to back up the bravado now so I’m all for it.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Will that save go down as one of the best ever? When you think about the context.
I think it is to be honest.

I thought it was game over.

Guy is a national hero now (though to be fair everyone already loved him after the Copa) probably just behind Messi from the current squad.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I thought so too. Brilliant save anyway but when you consider what’s at stake…the World Cup literally changes hands in that moment.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Going around with a caricature of Mbappe shows a lack of class. Comes off as a simpleton.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Zero class. Doubt he gives a shite. He'll probably double down on it when the inevitable press grilling happens.