Emiliano Sala: Rest In Peace

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Feck, they went missing last night. Slim chance of finding them alive. :(

AgentP

Horrible news. Hope everything turns out OK. Is it just me or the frequency of airplane crashes gone up the last 5-6 years?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Been missing for over 12 hours. There's only one likely outcome here unfortunately.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Horrible news. Hope everything turns out OK. Is it just me or the frequency of airplane crashes gone up the last 5-6 years?
Think it's just you. 2017 was the safest year on record for aviation.

Nick7

They have not, the coverage of them has. Much like most things, we now have much more access to worldwide news so it seems like more is happening when in some cases the opposite is true. 2017 was the safest year for air travel in history. Don't know the data for 2018.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
No, you just hear about every crash these days because of the media coverage.

Still comfortably the safest mode of transport.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Dreadful news, regardless of who is on that aircraft. But it does bring it home, when it is somebody we have at least heard of.

Just you:

Probably just seems that way because news coverage is more pervasive than ever, and more people have access to these small planes than ever before. Qualifications required to fly them are much less than what's required to fly airliners.

Tiber

I'd focus on fretting about your morning drive to work. It's still infinitely more dangerous than flying will ever be

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Christ, this is awful. As others have said it would have been the biggest move of his career and this happens :(.

Still have to hope he's somehow OK, but with something like this where they can't seem to even find the wreckage it doesn't seem likely. Horrible situation, feel for his family.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Just you:

Probably just seems that way because news coverage is more pervasive than ever, and more people have access to these small planes than ever before. Qualifications required to fly them are much less than what's required to fly airliners.
It's crazy how media coverage can skew perception, I too had felt like plane crashes were more frequent in recent years.
Glad it's not the case, and I can just continue to be a media-sceptic.

Hopefully a positive outcome comes from this terrible situation :(

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
1 in sixteen million apparently, now. It was apparently 1 in two million in 2013. 2014 was another bad year.

Compared to the late 70's, these figures are an incredible improvement. Much more chance of dying, driving to the airport.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Planes are certainly very safe, but the fact is when you have so many planes making journeys every year there's bound to be the odd accident. You can't account for freak bad luck, modern airlines do pretty much everything they can possibly do to safety proof their aircraft.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Disappeared over the sea, in the middle of fecking winter.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I know @EmilianoSala1. I call him and he doesn't answer his phone. Type of 1st in and out of the ⚽. @CardiffCityFC he fears the worst. Air Control of the island of Guernsey confirms Q the pilot requested emergency landing at 20:30h Local. Intensive search on the spot channel

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Not looking good at all... hope its just false alarm

The other day my mum receive several SOS signal from my sister phone calling for help, with audio recording of plane engine and google map in the airport sending to us... which get us worried.. turns out she mis-click the SOS button when she is switching off her phone before her plane was taking off...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

The other day my mum receive several SOS signal from my sister phone calling for help, with audio recording of plane engine and google map in the airport sending to us... which get us worried.. turns out she mis-click the SOS button when she is switching off her phone before her plane was taking off...
Well it seems the pilot called for an emergency landing last night and they haven’t been seen since so not looking good

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Only one likely outcome here, unfortunately.

But surely they'll find the plane rather sooner than later? It's not like they have a gigantic area to cover this time...

youmeletsfly

When the pilot requested an emergency landing they were at 5K feet in the air, when the plane lost contact they were at 2.3K feet in the air.
A lot of unlucky things need to happen for the plane to lose radio contact while still being in the air.

Meanwhile:
"The French civil aviation authority says Argentine soccer player Emiliano Sala WAS aboard a small passenger plane that went missing off the coast of the island of Guernsey.

French and British maritime authorities are continuing to search the English Channel for the plane."

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Holy shit, this is really genuine isn't it? what a tragic story.

I've seen jokes like "anything to not sign for Neil Warnock" but I thought it was just a silly paper story, like he'd turned around or decided not to answer their calls.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
These reports only end one way.

Just tragic.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nantes have cancelled their next home match, doubt they'd do that without any real news. They probably know but they want to wait for the official report.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
feck this is sad.

Usually when there's no response for such a long time, then there's only one possible outcome.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I don't think you understood.

Much, much, much more chance of DYING driving to the airport, not just crashing.
I know but it’s a pretty pointless thing to say.

Fear of flying stems from the knowledge that if something goes wrong you’re almost certainly f*cked.

UncleBob

It's pretty obvious it's not a false alarm, it's been 14 hours with no sign of life after they requested an emergency landing and radio contact was lost with the plane going missing.

Given the time and area, height when it went missing, there's unfortunately 0 chance that there's any survivors. Tragic

Swagawa

Much, much, much more chance of DYING driving to the airport, not just crashing.
That's because they don't occur 1 to 1.

Plane crashes are more likely to be fatal than car crashes.

Abizzz

One instantly fears the worst in these cases but I think there's still a bit of hope. If the pilot asked for an emergency landing but couldn't make it to the airport he must have still had control when the problems began, so possibly he managed a "controlled" ditching. The fact nothing has been found yet also at least leaves open the possibility that the plane hit the water as one (and hopefully slowly), debris of high velocity crashes or in air failures is a lot easier to find than 1 sunken airplane.

I'm obviously clutching at straws but given that this is only 12h ago i'm not giving up hope yet. I hope they're found in life-vests or clinging onto something.

UncleBob

I'd like to see a similar comparison where normal passenger flights are excluded, only looking at microplanes like the one that's involved in this accident.

Ady87

Just you:

I assume those numbers are for all aircraft worldwide? I wonder what the numbers look like specifically for these small 2 seater planes in isolation rather than them being bundled in with much larger/safer and more technically advanced aircraft with, i'd assume, more experienced pilots.

Ekeke

Hoping for the best obviously, but regardless of what happens this sounds like awful news. Sala was having such a strong season too, would be such a big upgrade for Cardiff and give them a chance at surviving

Classical Mechanic

I'm obviously clutching at straws but given that this is only 12h ago i'm not giving up hope yet. I hope they're found in life-vests or clinging onto something.
I doubt they'd have any chance of survival in the English channel in rough seas in the middle of winter, even for a couple of hours.

Nick7

That's because they don't occur 1 to 1.

Plane crashes are more likely to be fatal than car crashes.
Fatal car crashes are still a lot more likely than plane crashes. It's not a comparison of all car crashes, just fatal ones.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
I know but it’s a pretty pointless thing to say.

Fear of flying stems from the knowledge that if something goes wrong you’re almost certainly f*cked.

I will try again. It is safer to fly than to drive......... much, much, much safer.

Nobody is talking about fear of flying, except you, trying to make a point that escapes me.

Last edited:

UncleBob

One instantly fears the worst in these cases but I think there's still a bit of hope. If the pilot asked for an emergency landing but couldn't make it to the airport he must have still had control when the problems began, so possible he managed a "controlled" ditching. The fact nothing has been found yet also at least leaves open the possibility that the plane hit the water as one (and hopefully slowly), debris of high velocity crashes or in air failures is a lot easier to find than 1 sunken airplane.

They lost all contact on radar while it was at 2,500 feet, that's a bad sign. And small debris isn't always a lot easier to find. 12 hours might seem like a short period of time, but it's in the channel without survival suits. They'd be struggling even with 1/4 of that time.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Fatal car crashes are still a lot more likely than plane crashes. It's not a comparison of all car crashes, just fatal ones.

Thanks Nick, somebody that understands a simple observation.