Emiliano Sala: Rest In Peace

meamth

Temperature shock is as devastating as the crash itself.

When hypothermia kicks in, there is nothing you can do without immediate help.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'd have taken a lot of convincing to get on a helicopter or light aircraft before this last few months, but now I'd run a fecking mile.

Condolences to the families and friends of everyone on board if what we all fear has happened is confirmed.

Andersons Dietician

In those temperatrues, without proper equipment survival time is minutes rather than hours.
I was trying to think back to my offshore training as I’m sure at this time of year in those seas it’s minutes. Hopefully the seas weren’t rough and they managed a safe ditch and have a raft. Horrible way to go.

Edit: checked at 5C it’s rough 15-30 mins before hypothermia kicks in so 30-90 minutes estimated survival time in the water.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
This is terrible news and hoping for a miracle, but what happens at this point regarding the clubs obviously if the worst is feared because a player will be missing so two teams will be out of pocket .

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Temperature shock is as devastating as the crash itself.

When hypothermia kicks in, there is nothing you can do without immediate help.
That's right. Absolutely horrid way to go.

I feel so sad about this. First the Leicester owner and now this.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Doesn't sound good. Thoughts with the families of everyone who was on the plane.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I was trying to think back to my offshore training as I’m sure at this time of year in those seas it’s minutes. Hopefully the seas weren’t rough and they managed a safe ditch and have a raft. Horrible way to go.

Edit: checked at 5C it’s rough 15-30 mins before hypothermia kicks in so 30-90 minutes estimated survival time in the water.
I was remembering my time on the Royal navy and somebody due to strong weather went over board it was lucky he was spotted well just about 10 more minutes he was done for.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This is terrible news and hoping for a miracle, but what happens at this point regarding the clubs obviously if the worst is feared because a player will be missing so two teams will be out of pocket .
Presuming that Nantes get to keep the money and Cardiff get insurance money.

Also, I hope some club somewhere can do something for Cardiff in terms of finding a new striker at this stage.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax

Also, I hope some club somewhere can do something for Cardiff in terms of finding a new striker at this stage.
Thats what I was thinking, be difficult now for Cardiff finding a promising striker like him at such good money.

meamth

Thats what I was thinking, be difficult now for Cardiff finding a promising striker like him at such good money.
They will get their money back from insurance, but the cost of scouting and precious time spent on Sala is the main issue.

Feeling bad for anyone associated with Cardif. Horrid news.

El Zoido

This is really sad. Not too long after the Leicester crash too. If the plane has crashed in the sea I doubt there will be any survivors, but we can hope for a miracle.

Deleted member 101472

This is just absolutely horrific. Not one of us knows that tomorrow will come for sure.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The search crew doesn't believe in miracles. :(

Banat

Terrible news, I hope everything goes well but really doubt :(
And my god, I just hate planes. I know statistically it's much safer than traveling on road, and I had many flights in my life, but I just can't stand it and whenever I have to fly, I get some kind of fever.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wonder if the Cardiff FC forum were tracking his flight like the Redcafe muppets do?

TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome
I wonder if the Cardiff FC forum were tracking his flight like the Redcafe muppets do?
I think he already flew over, signed, was presented etc. but flew back to say good bye to his old team mates :( He was on his way back.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Imagine him telling my wife/family/etc that he's moving to a new city and a new club and he's excited to try something different.

Now picture what has happened in reality.

We have almost no control over our lives, even though we seem to think we do. Enjoy every minute you can.

Hope he's safe.
Well said. Talk about the sliding door effect! One day out of nowhere his entire life paths changes to one that puts him on this course.

I only hope this potentially tragic story has a happy ending. Would really be the stuff of legends if he has survived.

It seems quite obvious with all the worlds technology we really need a smarter way to track planes....continually tracked signal....more powerful signals in black boxes. Maybe an anchor with floating black box that ejects so as to provide some height at the bottom of the sea to increase the signal range.

Maybe a drone that detaches from the plane and hovers above the accident spot.

The biggest problem is of course that the wind and waves can completely change the course, but there has to be some brainiac engineers who can come up with something.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Been missing for over 12 hours. There's only one likely outcome here unfortunately.
Have you seen Unbroken the movie? Or read the book?

Louis Zamperini survived 47 days on a raft. Not saying this is the same situation or even that a raft is available, but just that stranger things have happened!

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
The search crew doesn't believe in miracles. :(
Seems an odd statement for the Chief Officer to make at this stage. Although it may be the case, in these times they tend to keep these types of feelings to themselves and continue the push to find the crash site.

El Zoido

Well said. Talk about the sliding door effect! One day out of nowhere his entire life paths changes to one that puts him on this course.

I only hope this potentially tragic story has a happy ending. Would really be the stuff of legends if he has survived.

It seems quite obvious with all the worlds technology we really need a smarter way to track planes....continually tracked signal....more powerful signals in black boxes. Maybe an anchor with floating black box that ejects so as to provide some height at the bottom of the sea to increase the signal range.

Maybe a drone that detaches from the plane and hovers above the accident spot.

The biggest problem is of course that the wind and waves can completely change the course, but there has to be some brainiac engineers who can come up with something.
Even if we did all that, it’s only giving us a quicker way to locate bodies. In almost every instance of a plane crashing, the passengers die immediately on impact.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Just saw the picture of the type of aircraft. I wouldn't enter that thing if you paid me to.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I doubt they'd have any chance of survival in the English channel in rough seas in the middle of winter, even for a couple of hours.

The water in Jersey is about 9 degrees at the moment. Exhaustion will have occurred within the hour in absence of a floating device, e.g. life jacket. Survival then could only be up to 3 hours given the temperature.

Sadly these conditions are likely to be fatal very quickly.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Even if we did all that, it’s only giving us a quicker way to locate bodies. In almost every instance of a plane crashing, the passengers die immediately on impact.
Certainly some truth here, but even locating the black box might save futures although for a plane like this it probably makes little difference.

Zlatattack

What a terrible tragedy. It is a moment to reflect on the fact the people we often consider commodities and statistics, are as human as the rest of us.

I just came back this morning from the burial of a 13 year old boy. He died of an allergic reaction to something he'd eaten. Collapsed whilst playing football.

Life is precious.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
As safe as planes are, it seems like the small ones crash a fair bit. Guessing the maintenance might not be as good and they're less steady.

I assume there's a chance if it crash landed into the channel, but they'd surely find them very quickly if so.

Kapardin

Get French Football News‏ @GFFN 27m27 minutes ago
Sources have informed Ouest-France that the plane now missing that had Emiliano Sala on board had difficulties in taking off from Nantes airport & had to attempt the procedure 3 or 4 times before successfully ending up in the air http://bit.ly/SalaMissing
And despite the 3-4 failed attempts, they decided to fly in that bucket of bolts when it took off rather than having the foresight to ground it permanently and check for the fault? Gross recklessness.

Hope he's ok, seems a likeable bloke. But things certainly look grim.

matt10000

Maybe we should let them have a player on loan

red4ever 79

And despite the 3-4 failed attempts, they decided to fly in that bucket of bolts when it took off rather than having the foresight to ground it permanently and check for the fault? Gross recklessness.

Hope he's ok, seems a likeable bloke. But things certainly look grim.
Unbelivable. Speechless

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Wow I can't believe this story. Shocking news.