Emiliano Sala: Rest In Peace

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
I'd like to see a similar comparison where normal passenger flights are excluded, only looking at microplanes like the one that's involved in this accident.
Agreed Bob. I am bewildered why he would travel in a single engined Piper Malibu. I would never fly anything with one engine, unless it had an ejector seat.

Abizzz

I doubt they'd have any chance of survival in the English channel in rough seas in the middle of winter, even for a couple of hours.
They lost all contact on radar while it was at 2,500 feet, that's a bad sign. And small debris isn't always a lot easier to find. 12 hours might seem like a short period of time, but it's in the channel without survival suits. They'd be struggling even with 1/4 of that time.
You're probably both right:(.

Abizzz

Agreed Bob. I am bewildered why he would travel in a single engined Piper Malibu. I would never fly anything with one engine, unless it had an ejector seat.
I've flown on planes without engines :eek:. (Well actually it was just one, once)

youmeletsfly

'I am sure something will be found eventually'
John Fitzgerald, chief executive of the Channel Islands Air Search, has told the Jersey Evening Post this morning:

'We were called out by Guernsey Coastguard at 8.30pm, just as the aircraft had dropped off the radar and we were over Alderney by about 9pm. We stayed there until midnight before we flew back to Guernsey to change over the crew and refuel.

'There was about 15 to 20 miles visibility so we could see quite a lot during the first search but the lifeboats found it quite difficult. That area is always quite rough but from 1,000 feet, we can see straight down. It was not that bad but at about 2 or 3 am wintry showers set in and the search was postponed. We went out again at 8am.

'I am sure something will be found eventually. The plane was flying at 2,000ft when it dropped off the radar so it could have flown for about five or six miles before touching down.
But whether it was a controlled ditching or if it dived in, we just do not know. If it was a controlled ditching, you would expect to find a life-raft but if it was uncontrolled I expect an oil slick and wreckage may be found.'

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
I've flown on planes without engines :eek:. (Well actually it was just one, once)

But they are safer, they don't need them. Unfortunately, that big heavy lump at the front, when it is not turning, causes no end of problems.

Ekeke

At this worrying time for Sala, heres his first 11 goals of the season. He had an impressive 12 goals and 2 assists in 16 starts with 3 sub appearances this season

meamth

We had a recent car crash at Malaysia that brought headlines all over the country. A car was hit and plunged into the sea, the driver responsible for the crash survived, the one in the water died.

Humans are so fragile, even at that height, when it plunges into water, death is imminent.

I fear the worst for Sala, there is only one possible outcome..:(

Member 115509

Terrible news, hopefully they will be found and all will be OK.

promisedlanchiao

We had a recent car crash at Malaysia that brought headlines all over the country. A car was hit and plunged into the sea, the driver responsible for the crash survived, the one in the water died.

Humans are so fragile, even at that height, when it plunges into water, death is imminent.

I fear the worst for Sala, there is only one possible outcome..:(
Yep, coach told us about it just now. Really hope Sala is ok, thoughts are with him and other passengers + family.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
The BBC report says sightings of red flares were reported last night during the search but they were unable to find anything. Does at least offer a glimmer of hope that they might have survived the crash.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The BBC report says sightings of red flares were reported last night during the search but they were unable to find anything. Does at least offer a glimmer of hope that they might have survived the crash.
Would they be able to survive the night in these conditions though?

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Even worse to think that they somehow survived the crash but eventually died in the sea by themselves. Let's hope for the best.

Castia

fecking hell thats crazy.

I saw on Sky Sports they agreed an £18m fee and was thinking he’d probably be a decent signing for Cardiff.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Would they be able to survive the night in these conditions though?
If they were in a life raft perhaps but even then the odds would be stacked against survival :(

I assume those numbers are for all aircraft worldwide? I wonder what the numbers look like specifically for these small 2 seater planes in isolation rather than them being bundled in with much larger/safer and more technically advanced aircraft with, i'd assume, more experienced pilots.
All airliners, so anything in commercial service with fully qualified pilots, maintenance etc.

As people get richer more can afford little planes that they can hire or fly themselves, like this one. Wouldn't be surprised if the number of those accidents are on the rise.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
:( Desperate news, slim chance as these incidents usually end badly but hoping they're found alive.

UncleBob

All airliners, so anything in commercial service with fully qualified pilots, maintenance etc.

As people get richer more can afford little planes that they can hire or fly themselves, like this one. Wouldn't be surprised if the number of those accidents are on the rise.
Although most people are informed of plane crashes involving large, multi-passenger commercial flights, the majority of aviation accidents do not occur in commercial flights. Rather, figures from the National Transportation Safety Board indicate that a staggering 97 percent of aviation fatalities occur in general aviation, not in commercial flights.