Emiliano Sala: Rest In Peace

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
And despite the 3-4 failed attempts, they decided to fly in that bucket of bolts when it took off rather than having the foresight to ground it permanently and check for the fault? Gross recklessness.

Hope he's ok, seems a likeable bloke. But things certainly look grim.
Presumably it was weather related rather than mechanical?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
As safe as planes are, it seems like the small ones crash a fair bit. Guessing the maintenance might not be as good and they're less steady.

I assume there's a chance if it crash landed into the channel, but they'd surely find them very quickly if so.
Yeah I heard plenty of stories of those small planes crashing. Usually it’s not that popular a story when that happens.

My friends boss bought a plane five years ago to fly between Poznan and Bratislava, he crashed and died like three months after.

binary bot
Yeah I heard plenty of stories of those small planes crashing. Usually it’s not that popular a story when that happens.

My friends boss bought a plane five years ago to fly between Poznan and Bratislava, he crashed and died like three months after.
I think small planes have one engine whereas large commercial planes have two.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he already flew over, signed, was presented etc. but flew back to say good bye to his old team mates :( He was on his way back.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
Yeah you're right they've already had press photos with the shirt etc. God it's bad enough this happened to somebody, but a footballer in his prime? it just seems extra weird.
Where have you heard this? If true that is ridiculous.
says it in the article linked previous page.

Drawfull

As safe as planes are, it seems like the small ones crash a fair bit. Guessing the maintenance might not be as good and they're less steady.

I assume there's a chance if it crash landed into the channel, but they'd surely find them very quickly if so.
Most light aircraft crashes are pilot error. I did my Private Pilot Licence in a Piper about 20 years ago, and had two very close calls during training. One was my fault, one another pilot that nearly hit us (in a Cessna) on approach to Barton.

Their maintenance is rigorous, and I never met a pilot who didn't take it seriously. That said their tolerance for bad weather is much lower than larger aircraft. I no longer have my books to check the numbers.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
What a terrible tragedy. It is a moment to reflect on the fact the people we often consider commodities and statistics, are as human as the rest of us.

I just came back this morning from the burial of a 13 year old boy. He died of an allergic reaction to something he'd eaten. Collapsed whilst playing football.

Life is precious.
So sad. I dont if life is precious anymore. An accident like this, a young man about to begin probably the most exciting part of his life. It shouldnt happen.

My best friend died last month. He was a Manchester United fan, was so excited after Mourinho sacking and was looking forward to life under Ole. He only got to see the one match. It actually hurts seeing UTD doing so well, wishing my friend was here to experience it. AT 25, on the verge of starting his masters. Probably the best guy I Knew. We buried him with a UTD jersey, an AIG one, some of his best time supporting the club. Sorry to go off topic a little, but my point is, I really dont know if life is precious anymore when these things happen to good young men.

Schmeichel=God

Isn't this terrible. How life conspires to arrive at this event.

So multiple times the media have been reporting the Cardiff/Sala link in the last month or so. First he's a target, then the bids are in, then Warnock says it's unlikely, Cardiff performing badly...Sala thinks twice, could stay in France, but then it's on, he signs....and now most likely dead. Joke. Couldn't believe it when I saw it on Sky this morning.

Further to this if he just didn't go back to France....if the 4 failed attempts weren't just weather related...or even if they were....get the F outta there and get yourself on a commercial scheduled flight. Take the flaming Channel Tunnel.

These flight systems obviously aren't able to alert to maintenance issues properly. So Srivaddhanaprabha's helicopter couldn't report the fatal malfunction. This plane wasn't fit for a short flight.

It's so sad. Absolute condolences to all involved. You'll never find me on a plane like that again. Once flying Manchester to Devon in the 90's, never again.

meamth

Let's not speculate on the pilot error first and foremost, assuming the weather is bad, it must be hard for the pilot.

Adam-Utd

I'm sure if the pilot was requesting an emergency landing, i'm not sure how it can be pilot error?

I may be ignorant about flying but how could a pilot go wrong flying through the sky.

Most light aircraft crashes are pilot error. I did my Private Pilot Licence in a Piper about 20 years ago, and had two very close calls during training. One was my fault, one another pilot that nearly hit us (in a Cessna) on approach to Barton.

Their maintenance is rigorous, and I never met a pilot who didn't take it seriously. That said their tolerance for bad weather is much lower than larger aircraft. I no longer have my books to check the numbers.
Thing is, a P.P.L takes about 150 hours of theory and 50 hours in a single engine aircraft. The ATPL for airlines takes closer to 1000 hours on the ground, 1500 hours flying time across different aircraft, and regular rigorous checks once you're qualified. It's a totally different league.

edit: early days yet but at 5000ft they were right in the middle of the clouds and the icing that comes with it, should really have been above or below.

Last edited:

Capwn

So sad. I dont if life is precious anymore. An accident like this, a young man about to begin probably the most exciting part of his life. It shouldnt happen.

My best friend died last month. He was a Manchester United fan, was so excited after Mourinho sacking and was looking forward to life under Ole. He only got to see the one match. It actually hurts seeing UTD doing so well, wishing my friend was here to experience it. AT 25, on the verge of starting his masters. Probably the best guy I Knew. We buried him with a UTD jersey, an AIG one, some of his best time supporting the club. Sorry to go off topic a little, but my point is, I really dont know if life is precious anymore when these things happen to good young men.
I don't normally post here but I just wanted to say how sorry I am for you to lose your best friend. I'm 25 myself and a mad utd fan just like your mate Life's way to short

Back on topic. It's hard to digest but he's not surviving that crash. The conditions and considering how short the flying distance is. Cardiff is about 40 mins from where I lived in Bristol and this is heartbreaking news.

JohnnyKills

Sad news that.Thanks for sharing.

JohnnyKills

Isn't this terrible. How life conspires to arrive at this event.

So multiple times the media have been reporting the Cardiff/Sala link in the last month or so. First he's a target, then the bids are in, then Warnock says it's unlikely, Cardiff performing badly...Sala thinks twice, could stay in France, but then it's on, he signs....and now most likely dead. Joke. Couldn't believe it when I saw it on Sky this morning.

Further to this if he just didn't go back to France....if the 4 failed attempts weren't just weather related...or even if they were....get the F outta there and get yourself on a commercial scheduled flight. Take the flaming Channel Tunnel.

These flight systems obviously aren't able to alert to maintenance issues properly. So Srivaddhanaprabha's helicopter couldn't report the fatal malfunction. This plane wasn't fit for a short flight.

It's so sad. Absolute condolences to all involved. You'll never find me on a plane like that again. Once flying Manchester to Devon in the 90's, never again.
Completely agree. Just not worth the risk.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Maybe we should let them have a player on loan
I don't think we have anyone available as a striker. Hopefully some club will. It would certainly be a very nice gesture.

Paxi

The aircraft that was carrying Sala looked flimsy as hell. I wouldn't have got into that.

Last edited:

United58

What a terrible tragedy. It is a moment to reflect on the fact the people we often consider commodities and statistics, are as human as the rest of us.

I just came back this morning from the burial of a 13 year old boy. He died of an allergic reaction to something he'd eaten. Collapsed whilst playing football.

Life is precious.
Jesus I'm sorry you had to go through that, that's shocking to hear.

Hope Sala and the rest of them are OK, but it sounds bad. Terrible news.

Jibbs

I hope against hope that Sala is still alive. As a sign of solidarity, as no other club could understand this tragedy better than united, we should lend them Sanchez for rest of the season.

Kawasaki

Just seen this, horrible news and hopefully there's a positive outcome.

I feel really bad for Cardiff fans knowing their new signing may have been involved :(

alsabi

Tragic news. Also a bitter twist of fate that it's Cardiff City who've suffered this loss so soon after they helped Leicester to commemorate their own recent aircraft tragedy.

Redo91

Saw the news broke about the plane going missing last night. Noticed that it was travelling from Nantes to Cardiff which I thought was a random trip and immediately wondered was it anything to do with Sala. Shocking stuff.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool

Damn sorry for your loss. What happened to him?

Schmeichel=God

Is there any chance we could send them someone on loan maybe McCtominay or Greenwood. I’m not sure they would help much but we should do something.
Fellaini as a striker. Greenwood. Rossi on a free.

Eh? What risk?

Terrible event, but overstating the risks of air travel (which is actually incredibly safe, looking at the numbers) isn't the way to go here.
I don't think this is "overstating the risks" more a realisation of an increase in risk of option 1 against option 2. See the quote below.

Thing is, a P.P.L takes about 150 hours of theory and 50 hours in a single engine aircraft. The ATPL for airlines takes closer to 1000 hours on the ground, 1500 hours flying time across different aircraft, and regular rigorous checks once you're qualified. It's a totally different league.
And whilst pilot training cannot prevent non foreseeable mid flight mechanical errors or mitigate against electrical/weather issues and what not, I know I would rather be on something less flimsy, with more engines for my flight.

My grandad was coming back to the UK on a plane which had 2 engines. 1 had problems which he saw through the window. It then blew out. He got back with the remaining engine and lives to tell the tale. Just an anecdotal reason to hedge one's bets.

Last edited:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Somebody has told me it was the plane of the Cardiff President. Still confirming this though so don't take it as gospel.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Horrible horrible thing to happen. By all accounts he used the same plane to take him from Cardiff to Nantes and told a team mate the ride was very bumpy and he was a little worried. fecking gutted for him.

Always hold out hope he has made it, but sad reality is he is dead. They clearly have not landed on ground, and it was a sea landing.

youmeletsfly

Sala 'expressed fears for his safety'
Some more breaking news coming out of France in the last few minutes, courtesy of journalist David Phelippeau.

It has been claimed that Sala travelled from Cardiff to Nantes with the same plane that is now missing.

When he arrived in Nantes, he 'told team-mate Nicolas Pallois that the trip had been bumpy and he feared for his safety on the journey back'.

Dunno if the above is true, it would be disgusting if it is.

JohnnyKills

Eh? What risk?

Terrible event, but overstating the risks of air travel (which is actually incredibly safe, looking at the numbers) isn't the way to go here.
Air travel as a whole is incredibly safe. But light aircraft seem far more risky.

Anyway, horribly sad news.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn't there a report earlier that red flares were sighted but nothing found?

Paxi

Sala 'expressed fears for his safety'
Some more breaking news coming out of France in the last few minutes, courtesy of journalist David Phelippeau.

It has been claimed that Sala travelled from Cardiff to Nantes with the same plane that is now missing.

When he arrived in Nantes, he 'told team-mate Nicolas Pallois that the trip had been bumpy and he feared for his safety on the journey back'.

Dunno if the above is true, it would be disgusting if it is.
Seeing as it's a small aircraft, it would have been likely that a flight had some turbulence.

Adam-Utd

Why would you fly private at night over the sea with a dodgy plane?
I doubt that's how they sold it to him.

TBH i'm sure many of these planes fly all day/night long, but it's just a horrible freak accident with a famous person.

pascell

I doubt that's how they sold it to him.

TBH i'm sure many of these planes fly all day/night long, but it's just a horrible freak accident with a famous person.
After failing to get it off the ground once, never mind two or three more failed attempts, surely that was enough to call it a day on attempting to fly.