Emma Watson on Feminism

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Of course women are allowed to be actors or models - my original post was simply that there will be times that a role or job requires a man (or a woman) due to its nature, not due to any sexist agenda. On a catwalk you are rarely going to see men modelling women's clothes.
Missed this first time round - At first I was going to say, I don't think feminists are fighting for the rights of Meryl Streep to play King Lear but then I thought, that'd be bloody epic! She'd be great! So no, maybe I'm not so convinced that there are types of acting roles that women can't play (lonely, divorced Dad looking for love, aside).

Don't Kill Bill

Insidious, isn't it? Men even try to control & define the issue of women's rights. Why on earth should feminists campaign for anyone but women?

This whole thread bar the slave bit, has been about why men should be feminists and feminism being about equality. So the answer to your question would be they don't have too but if you are making the claim that it is about equality and men should get on board with it then that would be the price for that support.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Why should there be a price?

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
Right, and if you re-read the Emma Watson statement then it explains better than I can, why making a movement - in your words - FOR WOMEN, is immediately alienating men from the discussion, and putting the focus exclusively on women, rather than having the focus on equality for everyone.
I merely meant it was created FOR WOMEN specifically in a time when women had next to NO rights. I never said it was ONLY FOR WOMEN. I know plenty of men who are feminists and we welcome them with open arms because without men on board, feminism simply isn't going to get anywhere.

Feminists (in the true sense of the word) have never alienated men from any discussions.

And, like I said before, feminism is merely a branch of the equality for everyone movement, just like LBGT rights - they are just focused on a particular set of discrepancies.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Well the original post/speech by Emma Watson seems to agree that there are issues facing men as well.

Again in not claiming that men "have it worse" or any such nonsense, but to focus exclusively on equality for one gender whilst ignoring the other, is sexist in itself, and it is from this that the whole "anti-men" feelings stem from, in my opinion. If you want to campaign for equality then campaign for equality for EVERYONE - women, men, black, white, whatever. Calling the movement "feminism" specifically does not help this, frankly.

Right, and if you re-read the Emma Watson statement then it explains better than I can, why making a movement - in your words - FOR WOMEN, is immediately alienating men from the discussion, and putting the focus exclusively on women, rather than having the focus on equality for everyone.
Sorry but I don't see why the oppressed class needs to pull any punches to dance around the sensitivity of the oppressive class. People who think feminism is anti-men have a victim complex that they need to get over, especially when they (not personally necessarily, though this is often the case) are the oppressers.

Last edited:

SteveJ

Scout
Because this is politics and that is the way politics works. People want to know what you are doing about their issues otherwise they won't support you.
Nobody asks the Conservatives to campaign on behalf of the Labour party.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
And why shouldn't it be called "Feminism" when it is specifically about achieving social, political and economical rights for "Females".

If men suddenly wanted to start a movement called "Masculism" that fought for a man's right to be vulnerable or sensitive and still be considered a man, then I would absolutely get behind that because I would recognise that it is a movement to broaden the definition of the word "Masculine".

Just as feminism is a movement to broaden the definition of "Feminine".

Don't Kill Bill

Nobody asks the Conservatives to campaign on behalf of the Labour party.

True, but this analogy would be about the people who vote Labour not the party. Those votes are contested by both sides by trying to put forward a case that your party is best for those voters. To do that they have to address the issues those voters have or they won't vote for them.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
True, but this analogy would be about the people who vote Labour not the party. Those votes are contested by both sides by trying to put forward a case that your party is best for those voters. To do that they have to address the issues those voters have or they won't vote for them.
Perhaps a better analogy would be, nobody expects the gay community to fight for the rights of straight people.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Just read through the past couple of pages. Did Lothar get banned because of this thread?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
And why shouldn't it be called "Feminism" when it is specifically about achieving social, political and economical rights for "Females".

If men suddenly wanted to start a movement called "Masculism" that fought for a man's right to be vulnerable or sensitive and still be considered a man, then I would absolutely get behind that because I would recognise that it is a movement to broaden the definition of the word "Masculine".

Just as feminism is a movement to broaden the definition of "Feminine".

It can be called whatever you want, I just think that in any movement relating to equality, it is contradictory to be focusing on one party or demographic.

Have different "equality" movements for men, women, children and anyone else just seems rather odd and redundant, and less powerful than a single, all encompassing movement of equality for EVERYONE.

Rednotdead

It can be called whatever you want, I just think that in any movement relating to equality, it is contradictory to be focusing on one party or demographic.

Have different "equality" movements for men, women, children and anyone else just seems rather odd and redundant, and less powerful than a single, all encompassing movement of equality for EVERYONE.
If you have multiple single-issue organisations they will all naturally be competing for attention for their own narrow aims. Some will be more successful than others and that's when resentment creeps in and things get polarised.

Silva

There are too many issues for an all encompassing movement to actually work.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger

So it's not just feminism you have a problem with - you also think there shouldn't have been a black civil rights movement or a gay rights movement?

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger

Have read this multiple times and still don't understand it. (Dumb broad).

Why wouldn't a particular movement focus on a particular demographic that doesn't have particular equalities? Why would suffragettes fight for the right for men to have the vote if men could already vote?

:confused:

Don't Kill Bill

Perhaps a better analogy would be, nobody expects the gay community to fight for the rights of straight people.

Its a bad analogy because no one is saying that there are valid anti heterosexual issues but it is right to ignore them because its a gay rights movement. If there were then I would argue that you have to settle them as well or you won't get the support of the heterosexuals.

I think parental rights discrimination is the other side of the equation which feminism needs to address because it is also the cause of most of the pay discrimination. You can't solve the equation on equal pay without dealing with fathers rights because they are interlinked at the point of human real world choice.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Wait, you want one worldwide movement for all oppressed people?

How can you focus on equality for one gender and not for the other? By definition, if you achieve your goal of equality for women, you will have achieved equality for men (due to the fact that they're now equal...)

In what ways are men fighting inequality compared to women?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Basically we need a movement called which incorporates every social, political and environmental issue so that you don't alienate anyone and captivates everyone. The oppressed and oppressors will come together in one big circle jerk and save all of the problems of our time. It's foolproof. Let's call it "Save the World".

SteveJ

Scout
The fact that there hasn't been, historically, a similar & fully-fledged men's movement ends the argument.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
What discrimination does a heterosexual white male have to face, in comparison?

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
Its a bad analogy because no one is saying that there are valid anti heterosexual issues but it is right to ignore them because its a gay rights movement. If there were then I would argue that you have to settle them as well or you won't get the support of the heterosexuals.

I think parental rights discrimination is the other side of the equation which feminism needs to address because it is also the cause of most of the pay discrimination. You can't solve the equation on equal pay without dealing with fathers rights because they are interlinked at the point of human real world choice.
But no one attached to feminism is saying anti-men issues should be ignored.

SteveJ

Scout
Prejudice against them if they watch Will and Grace. Mentioning no names here...ahem.

Nikhil

The way women are ill treated in some parts of the world even nowadays is sickening.

On a completely different and not as important note, it's rather wierd how lots of girls I know act as though they are superior to boys purely on the basis that they are girls. For example, if there is only one chair and two people (a boy and a girl), the girl expects the boy to let her sit.

Also, some girls these days (girls of my age - girls in college) think that they should be placed on a pedestal and think of men as inferior. Rather strange imo.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Aye, because the problems of white heterosexual men are insignificant. They all swig single malt whiskey while dropping their kids off at Oxbridge every semester

Lazy generalization is lazy. For me, the most insidious inequality is that of wealth. A woman with wealth (for example) has more power, influence, and rights than the average man.

Rednotdead

Wait, you want one worldwide movement for all oppressed people?

How can you focus on equality for one gender and not for the other? By definition, if you achieve your goal of equality for women, you will have achieved equality for men (due to the fact that they're now equal...)

In what ways are men fighting inequality compared to women?
Utter nonsense. If you want just one example, think of how the law discriminates against men when it comes to parental rights. If you father a child and you're not married to the woman you have absolutely no rights whatsoever to have any say in the child's upbringing or any right to contact with it. You do, however, have the responsibility of maintaining it.

Silva

Aye, because the problems of white heterosexual men are insignificant. They all swig single malt whiskey while dropping their kids off at Oxbridge every semester
I think the point being made was that white heterosexual men don't face any discrimination on the grounds that they're white heterosexual men.

Rednotdead

I recently reached my 65th birthday and started receiving my State Pension. A woman born the same day as me has already been receiving her State pension for 5 years.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
I wouldn't say they were out n out discriminated against but they certainly do face stigmas.

Stigmas such as being a stay-at-home father with a bread-winner wife or being more open about mental illness which is often seen as the opposite of "manning up".

Rednotdead

I wouldn't say they were out n out discriminated against but they certainly do face stigmas.

Stigmas such as being a stay-at-home father with a bread-winner wife or being more open about mental illness which is often seen as the opposite of "manning up".
How the law views the custody of children in divorce cases?

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
I recently reached my 65th birthday and started receiving my State Pension. A woman born the same day as me has already been receiving her State pension for 5 years.
True, but there's a very good chance you earned more than her anyway ;)

For the average female CEO to earn the same as her male counterparts, she would need to work until she was 89.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

You need to find examples unique to them. The whole domestic role thing is problematic for women and men.

The mental illness stigma is also fairly non gender-specific. Men might be accused of not manning up while women risk accusations of being hysterical or neurotic.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Utter nonsense. If you want just one example, think of how the law discriminates against men when it comes to parental rights. If you father a child and you're not married to the woman you have absolutely no rights whatsoever to have any say in the child's upbringing or any right to contact with it. You do, however, have the responsibility of maintaining it.
How is what I wrote nonsense? If you achieve equality between two groups of people, then they're equal. And that will include for the things that women can currently have an advantage over men (ie child care)

Rednotdead

True, but there's a very good chance you earned more than her anyway ;)

For the average female CEO to earn the same as her male counterparts, she would need to work until she was 89.
If she worked in the Civil Service for the same length of time as me at the same grade as me she would have earned exactly the same as me. :p

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Whoa whoa, I didn't mean to rile a few people lol

I was stating in comparison - everyone is discriminated against given the situation - feminist, black civil rights, gay rights face a more systematic discrimination and it highlights why it's impossible for there to be a unified equalisim because we all face different forms of discrimination

Rednotdead

How is what I wrote nonsense? If you achieve equality between two groups of people, then they're equal. And that will include for the things that women can currently have an advantage over men (ie child care)
You wrote "By definition, if you achieve your goal of equality for women, you will have achieved equality for men (due to the fact that they're now equal...)"

How do you make it out that men are already "equal"? That's the nonsense part.

Silva

How do you make it out that men are already "equal"? That's the nonsense part.
I think he meant that men enjoy more rights and have it relatively easier. Which isn't nonsense in the slightest. All we can come up with to counter are things like parental rights, which while an issue in its own rights and should be addressed, is insignificant compared to the issues women face.