Emmanuel Macron

Pintu

If only that was how the people have thought and acted through history.

(I understand your point, but I don't believe that's how the human nature (and society) works. By the way - and of course the context is not the same, but what was the other solution for protesters in Moscow or Teheran?)
Completely irrelevant comparison.... France is a democracy. You gather enough support and can fore an early election and get a different parliamentary majority. You can beat any legislation democratically.

Iran and Russia are dictatorships where the regimes don't give a feck about how many people are in the streets And still I'd call for civil disobedience in the case of such regimes before I support violence.

lonelyred

Completely irrelevant comparison.... France is a democracy. You gather enough support and can fore an early election and get a different parliamentary majority. You can beat any legislation democratically.

Iran and Russia are dictatorships where the regimes don't give a feck about how many people are in the streets And still I'd call for civil disobedience in the case of such regimes before I support violence.
Come on Pintu, I know that much. But democracy or not, the eruption of such a fierce protest is an anthropological phenomenon in whatever the system, or part of the world, or the context it happens. I was not discussing the reason for the protest, but admiring how genuine and passionate and inspired and intense event it is apparently turning out to be. I doubt that the majority of young people rioting in Paris at this moment really care about the pensions. They are demonstrating not only their dissatisfaction and anger with the lying ways of their government, but also the accumulated frustration, and anxiety, and even rage with so many possible issues. And, like so many times in the past, more than any other nation, French just don't want to accept to be told what to do. Instead, they go out and burn down l'Hȏtel de Ville (again).

Ferocious protest against the government's undemocratic manoeuvre is obviously a more significant event than the initial issue that had triggered it (the retirement age limit).

Last edited:

Sweet Square

This kind of direct attack on a symbol of french state power will move the average patriotic Jacques away from his natural sympathy for protestors...a more measured approach is needed. Less hot-headedness and more acknowledgement of economic realities. This unruly protest will solidify a negative image of the country, turning investors away, and of course harm workers. Just like minimum wage, maximum hours, firing protection, and other regressive legislation eventually only harms workers.

e- nvm, he got here first :)
:lol:
do you know what intensified the protests
Yeah people seem to be debating if the idea of raising or lowering the pension is a good idea, completely missing the point Macron has forced this through without any votes.

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Indeed.

I wish I knew what François Mitterrand was exactly thinking when he lowered retirement from 65 to 60 back in 1983. He pushed on the grounds that the aging of the population would lead France to financial ruin, but I don't see where the logic stood behind that line of thought.

I looked at this data about retirement age across countries, and I swear that vocal lot really have some nerve to protest when there are European countries with better overall quality of life and yet higher retirement age. Switzerland are locked on 64-65, Denmark on 67, the Netherlands on 66-68, Finland is flexible between 63.75 to 68 years of age, Iceland on 67, Germany increasing gradually to 67, and so on.
The other point is that Macron was elected with the knowledge that the reform of the pension age was going to be done this term. It's not something he's suddenly pulled out of the hat. Just before the vote was due to take place, the cross-party committees in parliament and the senate had agreed.

Just before the vote, they realised that they were a few votes short because the parties were playing political games. The interests of the people are a long way from Mélenchon and Le Pen's thoughts. Like Brexit the gullible fools get sucked in. Populism with no plan and no substance.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I don't pretend to understand the French constitution but there should be a way to determine what is democratic or undemocratic and it should be used, and if there isn't then there is the next election where Macron could be voted out and his policies reversed.

For the record I think protest is fine, violence is not, and it is sad that there are people here on the Caf delighting in it. Hopefully those that advocate violence in Britain will remain a small and ignored minority.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't pretend to understand the French constitution but there should be a way to determine what is democratic or undemocratic and it should be used, and if there isn't then there is the next election where Macron could be voted out and his policies reversed.

For the record I think protest is fine, violence is not, and it is sad that there are people here on the Caf delighting in it. Hopefully those that advocate violence in Britain will remain a small and ignored minority.
It's Macron's last tenure. This reform was supposed to happen between 2017-2022 but due to covid it didn't and he was criticized by the opposition for not respecting his reform promises, then this reform was also part of his campaign for the 2022-2027 tenure, he was elected with this reform among others being key points. The only thing undemocratic here is a minority who seem to think that their views are more important than the view of the majority of people that actually voted.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It's Macron's last tenure. This reform was supposed to happen between 2017-2022 but due to covid it didn't and he was criticized by the opposition for not respecting his reform promises, then this reform was also part of his campaign for the 2022-2027 tenure, he was elected with this reform among others being key points. The only thing undemocratic here is a minority who seem to think that their views are more important than the view of the majority of people that actually voted.
I did wonder if the French had a two-term policy like the yanks but I was too lazy to look it up, thanks.

RedDevilQuebecois

I did wonder if the French had a two-term policy like the yanks but I was too lazy to look it up, thanks.
It is law that the President of the Republic cannot serve more than 2 consecutive terms. However, the way they put it does not seem to say Macron cannot make a comeback after he's done in 2027 if his successor has a poor presidency during the 2027-2032 period.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It is law that the President of the Republic cannot serve more than 2 consecutive terms. However, the way they put it does not seem to say Macron cannot make a comeback after he's done in 2027 if his successor has a poor presidency during the 2027-2032 period.
Isn't that what Putin did? We could end up with Trump, Putin and Macron with Trump as the only 'legitimate' president. Oh god there's Johnson trying to come back as well, I need a beer.

RedDevilQuebecois

Isn't that what Putin did? We could end up with Trump, Putin and Macron with Trump as the only 'legitimate' president. Oh god there's Johnson trying to come back as well, I need a beer.
Macron will only be 54 years old in 2032. So that is quite an exceptional situation we are witnessing since past French presidents were much older while presidential terms used to last 7 years instead of 5 prior to Jacques Chirac's second term.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Violent protests are never the solution... It only leads to alienating the “commoners”, you end up losing the popular support. I saw many scandalous scenes on Twitter like this one...

" Louis XVI we beheaded him, Macron we can start again! chants the crowd at #Concorde . #ReformedesRetraite "
History shows differently when unjust goverments are in power. Violence is the solution

Pintu

Ferocious protest against the government's undemocratic manoeuvre is obviously a more significant event than the initial issue that had triggered it (the retirement age limit).
do you know what intensified the protests
What exactly is undemocratic? The law was voted by the senate and there will still be a vote of no confidence in the parliament on Monday. If the government is toppled down, the law won't be adopted... Only if the government survives the vote, then the law passes. That's how their constitution work.

This still sounds democratic to me, meaning if there is a majority against the law, they can topple down the government. (I am reading this vote will fail and the law will pass...)

I have sympathy for people protesting against any legislation they feel is doing them injustice (and there are people concerned here)... But spreading bullshit like "it's anti-democratic to use the constitution" or "the president is not legitimate" (One that has been elected in fair elections). This is something else, and it's dangerous.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
What exactly is undemocratic? The law was voted by the senate and there will still be a vote of no confidence in the parliament on Monday. If the government is toppled down, the law won't be adopted... Only if the government survives the vote, then the law passes. That's how their constitution work.

This still sounds democratic to me, meaning if there is a majority against the law, they can topple down the government. (I am reading this vote will fail and the law will pass...)

I have sympathy for people protesting against any legislation they feel is doing them injustice (and there are people concerned here)... But spreading bullshit like "it's anti-democratic to use the constitution" or "the president is not legitimate" (One that has been elected in fair elections). This is something else, and it's dangerous.
constitutional =/= democratic.
they apparently didn't have a majority for the law so pushed it by decree.

Pintu

constitutional =/= democratic.
they apparently didn't have a majority for the law so pushed it by decree.
That debate is a bit more complicated than that. At this point, it becomes very subjective. What can the democratically elected rulers use within their constitutional powers, and what can they not? Who gets to decide that some articles are undemocratic, despite them being used many times since they got introduced in a democratically approved constitution, one that has survived different democratic power shift (presidents and legislative majorities alike).

It's not a decree, and it hasn't passed yet. It is still contingent on how the Parliament votes on the "No confidence motion" this week. So, in fact, the lawmakers still have the power to block this law if they want.

https://apnews.com/article/france-p...er-explained-8ac5128e6bec83129d952a458cbbef81

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
That debate is a bit more complicated than that. At this point, it becomes very subjective. What can the democratically elected rulers use within their constitutional powers, and what can they not? Who gets to decide that some articles are undemocratic, despite them being used many times since they got introduced in a democratically approved constitution, one that has survived different democratic power shift (presidents and legislative majorities alike).

It's not a decree, and it hasn't passed yet. It is still contingent on how the Parliament votes on the "No confidence motion" this week. So, in fact, the lawmakers still have the power to block this law if they want.

https://apnews.com/article/france-p...er-explained-8ac5128e6bec83129d952a458cbbef81
you know exactly what's unusual here but are dodging it. sure.
this law's passage is a perfect example of democracy. but coddled union workers are opposed to it. imo they're still right to protest because i like coddled union workers, and you don't so it's constitutional and democratic and complicated :)

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

When we believe that all laws are democratic and just and we shouldnt protest because the law says and they were vote and constitution was voted etc is when we are fecked up.

You have examples with the supreme court in US that it was elected following US laws and what happened wit wade vs row. Or how they are treating in florida certain textbooks and drag shows because of law. Or what the law said about homosexuals a few decades. Or about blacks or invoking godwin how hitler was elected and made use of the constitution to size power

Lawful doesnt mean democratic and using (misusing the constitution) is not democratic and shield behind this simplistic argument is what is destroying democracy the last 2 decades. They are driving us into a corner ad wont be long till history will repeat itself

Don't Kill Bill

otherpoint is that Macron was elected with thThe e knowledge that the reform of the pension age was going to be done this term. It's not something he's suddenly pulled out of the hat. Just before the vote was due to take place, the cross-party committees in parliament and the senate had agreed.

Just before the vote, they realised that they were a few votes short because the parties were playing political games. The interests of the people are a long way from Mélenchon and Le Pen's thoughts. Like Brexit the gullible fools get sucked in. Populism with no plan and no substance.
Macron got 27% of the voters in the first round?

I'm not sure what percentage of the people in France that is but lets be clear his agenda did not hold a popular majority that is just the false claim of legitimacy inherent in the French system being used disingenuously by Paul to pretend it had wider support than it it did.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

I'm not sure what percentage of the people in France that is but lets be clear his agenda did not hold a popular majority that is just the false claim of legitimacy inherent in the French system being used disingenuously by Paul to pretend it had wider support than it it did.
77.77% turn out...meaning 20% of france

Paul the Wolf

That was the first round, in the second round it was not 27%. He got more than anyone else. Are you saying people like Mélenchon or Le Pen got more, No.
This promise was from 2017 as @JPRouve said and the opposition claimed he hadn't carried out his promises. He has now after getting through Covid which delayed it.

Fortunately we are not yet run by political and economic idiots like Le Pen and above all, Mélenchon.
You really think that it would be sensible to reduce the retirement age to 60 and borrow half a trillion Euros to finance it?
It's just political games. When Mélenchon finally disappears from the political scene , which he keeps promising to do, France will be a lot better off.

Don't Kill Bill

That was the first round, in the second round it was not 27%. He got more than anyone else. you saying peAreople like Mélenchon or Le Pen got more, No.
This promise was from 2017 as @JPRouve said and the opposition claimed he hadn't carried out his promises. He has now after getting through Covid which delayed it.

Fortunately we are not yet run by political and economic idiots like Le Pen and above all, Mélenchon.
You really think that it would be sensible to reduce the retirement age to 60 and borrow half a trillion Euros to finance it?
It's just political games. When Mélenchon finally disappears from the political scene , which he keeps promising to do, France will be a lot better off.
70% against the proposal as per Buster's article.

All I am saying is that it doesn't have popular support and is being pushed through. The fact Macron got re-elected doesn't change that or legitimize his actions. I think he is right on the pension issue but what were we saying about Boris when he sought to avoid a vote in Parliament?

JPRouve

Scout
I would be extremely curious to know where they found the 70%. As far as I can see most people don't care or don't know what the bill exactly is.

Edit: I think that it's about Macron's popularity which is at 30%.

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

70% against the proposal as per Buster's article.

All I am saying is that it doesn't have popular support and is being pushed through. The fact Macron got re-elected doesn't change that or legitimize his actions. I think he is right on the pension issue but what were we saying about Boris when he sought to avoid a vote in Parliament?
Where does the 70% come from? He's been elected twice as President on the manifesto and after not going through with it the first time because of Covid he got criticised for not carrying out his manifesto by the same people who are protesting now. The vote would have been very tight on whether the reform would have passed, it was a matter of a few votes after it had been agreed by all parties. We'll see what happens in the coming week.

It's the same story with the populists, promise all sorts, bit like Brexit, but there's no substance to it. It's just used for the political gains of the snake oil salesmen. Gullible people buy into it.

If you promise to give someone something that is not in reality possible, those gullible people will fall for it every time. In Mélenchon's case he will say anything just to be a pain in the backside. He knows he would never become President so he knows he will never be put to the test.

JPRouve

Scout
For context this particular reform is by far the most difficult to do in France. People are always demanding a reform on pensions but every single government that has tried to pass one was criticized by everyone else, it's been the case for the entirety of my life and for every single government.

A few month ago the issue wasn't the age increase which is a given but the fact that the government was tackling the much maligned special categories which largely apply to civil servants, former public companies and difficult jobs. Everyone has been criticizing these at the exception of the ones applying to difficult jobs but somehow the government was wrong to do what everyone has wanted for decades. In that the only ones that are honest are the unions who are against any sort of reform that doesn't add rights and reduce the age of retirement but they only represent a very small proportion of workers.

Everyone else and especially politicians are full of shit on that one because as an example LR who magically decided to act like they disagree with the current proposal wanted to push it to 65 years old. And the best one is that the 43 years of cotisation is a reform from 2014 made by the socialist party, now I will ask people to do the math, if with 40 years of cotisation the legal retirement age is 62 where does it move when you need 43 years of cotisation?

The PS and every single politicians who said that they wouldn't change the current law are full of shit because the current law makes it impossible to get a full pension in 2035 since from 2027 we are moving to 43 years of cotisation instead of 40. Unless you start to work three years sooner than your parents, you will have to work three more years which pushes your full pension to 65 years old.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
For context this particular reform is by far the most difficult to do in France. People are always demanding a reform on pensions but every single government that has tried to pass one was criticized by everyone else, it's been the case for the entirety of my life and for every single government.

A few month ago the issue wasn't the age increase which is a given but the fact that the government was tackling the much maligned special categories which largely apply to civil servants, former public companies and difficult jobs. Everyone has been criticizing these at the exception of the ones applying to difficult jobs but somehow the government was wrong to do what everyone has wanted for decades. In that the only ones that are honest are the unions who are against any sort of reform that doesn't add rights and reduce the age of retirement but they only represent a very small proportion of workers.

Everyone else and especially politicians are full of shit on that one because as an example LR who magically decided to act like they disagree with the current proposal wanted to push it to 65 years old. And the best one is that the 43 years of cotisation is a reform from 2014 made by the socialist party, now I will ask people to do the math, if with 40 years of cotisation the legal retirement age is 62 where does it move when you need 43 years of cotisation?

The PS and every single politicians who said that they wouldn't change the current law are full of shit because the current law makes it impossible to get a full pension in 2035 since from 2027 we are moving to 43 years of cotisation instead of 40. Unless you start to work three years sooner than your parents, you will have to work three more years which pushes your full pension to 65 years old.
This and the above post by Paul make interesting reading.
Do I take it that Cotisation means how many years of contributions you have paid into the system?
How do you both see it playing out ?

JPRouve

Scout
This and the above post by Paul make interesting reading.
Do I take it that Cotisation means how many years of contributions you have paid into the system?
How do you both see it playing out ?
Yes, you need a certain amount of years contributing into the system in order to get a full pension, you can retire earlier but it won't be a full pension. Currently it's 40 years, from 2027 it will increase to 43 years depending on when you are born and in 2035 it will be for everyone. That reform(Loi Tourraine) is from December 18 2013 and needs to be modified because it makes little sense, some of the people that are blocking the reform created that law and they have to know that they created an issue that needs fixing but somehow they decided to blame the current government, some of the opposition is for that reform but decided that they would block it for a reasons that have nothing to do with logic, democracy or the interest of the public.

The pension scheme is going to be reformed, ideally before 2027 and at worst before 2035 because currently at 62 years old, it puts a lot of people in a situation where they can't have a full pension at 62.

Pintu

you know exactly what's unusual here but are dodging it. sure.
this law's passage is a perfect example of democracy. but coddled union workers are opposed to it. imo they're still right to protest because i like coddled union workers, and you don't so it's constitutional and democratic and complicated :)
You are barking up the wrong tree here. I didn‘t defend the bill itself, I do like union workers and I am not opposed to the protests in themselves but I am opposed to the violence. And there is too much violence. Suggesting a recently fairly elected president is illegitimate and calling for violence against elected politicians is much more dangerous for democracy than any possible maneuvering within the constitution.

Pintu

Are they really acting like they disagree? I am reading that they will vote/abstain to keep the government in place which de facto means the bill passes. This suggest there was a deal to be made with them and Macron didn‘t go for it. This will turn out to be a huge mistake if the violence and the strikes continue. And his second term has just started.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes, you need a certain amount of years contributing into the system in order to get a full pension, you can retire earlier but it won't be a full pension. Currently it's 40 years, from 2027 it will increase to 43 years depending on when you are born and in 2035 it will be for everyone. That reform(Loi Tourraine) is from December 18 2013 and needs to be modified because it makes little sense, some of the people that are blocking the reform created that law and they have to know that they created an issue that needs fixing but somehow they decided to blame the current government, some of the opposition is for that reform but decided that they would block it for a reasons that have nothing to do with logic, democracy or the interest of the public.

The pension scheme is going to be reformed, ideally before 2027 and at worst before 2035 because currently at 62 years old, it puts a lot of people in a situation where they can't have a full pension at 62.
Thank you again for this.

JPRouve

Scout
Are they really acting like they disagree? I am reading that they will vote/abstain to keep the government in place which de facto means the bill passes. This suggest there was a deal to be made with them and Macron didn‘t go for it. This will turn out to be a huge mistake if the violence and the strikes continue. And his second term has just started.
Yes, they are pretending, they have been doing it for months on every platform they can while failing to actually have a clue about anything. And there is no deal to make, the issue isn't about the bill, it's certain groups trying to be a disturbance for the sake of it.

Also the strikes and manisfestations have been an utter failure, they have been at it for a long time, no one cares and the numbers are small.

Edit: I forgot to mention don't be fueled by the BS in some french papers, as an example the issue with refineries has nothing to do with pensions or the government it's a strike that has been going on for a while and targets Total, their employers demand raises. But for some strange reason, many papers have decided to mix it with pensions and 49.3.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Macron realizing his 800k watch is in poor taste mid interview and taking it off under the table. What a twat :lol:

Macron realizing his 800k watch is in poor taste mid interview and taking it off under the table. What a twat :lol:

Apparently that was debunked, he gave the exact model and it's only worth about 1k. He took it off because it was clanking on the table. Still a twat though :)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Apparently that was debunked, he gave the exact model and it's only worth about 1k. He took it off because it was clanking on the table. Still a twat though :)
Ah really? That's such a boring explanation.

RedDevilQuebecois

Already posted in the "Cold War Against China?" thread.

This man has to be considered the biggest political prostitute harming Western democratic values at this moment in history.

RedDevilQuebecois

What the hell did Xi sell to him in their last meeting? The man looks just as bad and pathetic as Viktor Orbán now.

The worst in all of this is that he still is somehow not as bad as the other clowns stinking the entire French political class.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

France passes controversial immigration bill amid deep division in Macron’s part

The French government is facing a political crisis after the health minister Aurélien Rousseau offered his resignation in protest over a hardline immigration bill.

Emmanuel Macron’s ruling centrist party was divided and soul-searching on Wednesday after a strict new immigration law was approved by parliament but contained so many hardline measures that the far-right Marine Le Pen claimed it as an “ideological victory” for her own anti-immigration platform.

Rousseau immediately offered his resignation in protest at the law, but the prime minister Élisabeth Borne did not say whether she would accept it. It was unclear whether other ministers would offer to resign.

The bill was originally intended to show that Macron could take tough measures on migration while keeping France open to foreign workers who could help the economy in sectors struggling to fill jobs.

His interior minister Gérald Darmanin had argued that the bill “protected the French”, saying the government had to take tough measures on immigration in order to stem the rise of Le Pen’s anti-immigration far-right National Rally, which is now the single biggest opposition party in parliament and polling in first position ahead of next year’s European elections.

But after opposition parties refused to even debate the immigration bill in parliament last week, a compromise text was swiftly drawn up by a special parliamentary committee.
As a result, the centrist government put forward a much tougher, right-wing bill which reduced access to welfare benefits for foreigners, toughened rules for foreign students, introduced migration quotas, made it harder for the children of non-nationals born in France to become French, and ruled that dual nationals sentenced for serious crimes against the police could lose French citizenship.

Within Macron’s centrist grouping, scores of MPs voted against the bill or abstained, revealing deep divisions particularly on the left of Macron’s own centrist Renaissance party. Sacha Houlié, a key figure on the left of Macron’s party, who had led the special committee on the law, voted against it.

Le Pen, leader of the anti-immigration, far-right National Rally party, said her party would vote in favour of the bill, calling it an “ideological victory”. The far-right MP Edwige Diaz described the bill as “incontestably inspired by Marine Le Pen”.

A key part of the bill was that some social security benefits for foreigners should be conditional on having spent five years in France, or 30 months for those with jobs. The left-wing opposition said this amounted to Macron copying the controversial central manifesto pledge of decades of far-right politics under Jean-Marie Le Pen and his daughter Marine Le Pen: the notion of “national preference” in which benefits and housing should be “for the French first”.

Elsa Faucillon, the communist MP, said the government was using the same words and ideas as the far-right, and going further than Giorgia Meloni in Italy.

It is “the most regressive bill of the past 40 years for the rights and living conditions of foreigners, including those who have long been in France,” about 50 groups including the French Human Rights League said in a joint statement.

The government argued that the bill also contained liberal measures such as regularising undocumented workers in sectors with labour shortages, including in the building industry, health and care sectors and hotels and restaurants.

Borne wrote on X that it was: “a necessary, useful bill” that the French had wanted. She said it was “efficient and conformed with Républicain values” and that the “general interest” had won.

The bill was passed by MPs from Macron’s party voting alongside the right’s Les Républicains. Even though Le Pen’s far-right MPs also voted in favour, the government had enough votes without them.

Opposition politicians on the left pointed out that when Macron was re-elected for a second-term in 2022, he had acknowledged that many voters chose him not for his own ideas but to keep out the far-right ideas of his opponent Marine Le Pen.

Cyrielle Chatelain, a Green MP, told parliament there was a feeling of “shame and betrayal” that Macron had instead brought in the ideas of the far-right with this bill.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...sed-controversy-emmanuel-macron-marine-le-pen