Empty Old Trafford

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Our fans are so fickle. If we won against Brighton, everyone would be happy and not even mentioning the owners, but we lose our first competitive game under a new manager, with tactics that will clearly take some time to come to fruition, and everything is doom and gloom and the owners are the worst. It is not the Glazers fault we lost against Brighton.

Yes the owners need to go, but coming out whinging about them when we have a bad result but being quiet when we have good results is not the way. It just makes us as fans look like petulant children.
Do you really think we are protesting just because we lost to Brighton? If not, then no we aren't fickle. Theres always going to be a straw that breaks the camels back before a protest is given the green light.

By your logic a lot of protests are fickle.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I don’t think the defeat to Brighton was the catalyst for this unrest, I think the threat of signing Arnautović was the last straw. So much so that the board decided it was a piss take too far and immediately did a u-turn after the backlash. If that deal had gone through, Old Trafford might be on fire right now.

Jacob

Really don't think the Glazers would care, the tickets are already paid for
It's not that simple. It's about the image, building pressure etc. One thing will lead to the next. Any sound investor will evaluate future impact on earnings. Protests coming in thick and fast is a big red flag.

red thru&thru

We all know the problem. However, not enough time being spent on the solution.

We've tried most things. As fans, we will have to dig deep into our pockets and purchase the club.

OpenIntrovert

Most of the active voices on social media ared based in different countries and don't go to the games so I doubt it will work.
True. Twitter and to a certain extent RedCafe, are the polar opposites of the actual matchday going crowd.

Although i severely condone the idea that a fan from another country who has not gone to a game is a plastic, i can sympathize with the local fanbase on why they feel so. So many posters on here and Twitter who are only interested in negativity and instant success.

We need an rvn

An empty OT stadium might make headline news, share prices might drop and sponsors might come and go - but we'll still get our revenue somehow and the Glazers will sit happily on the other side of the pond drinking cocktails at their Florida mansions taking dividends no matter what happens.

The only way they'll sell is if there is a proper full blow protest from every United fan week in week out with no one turning up at OT, protesting outside instead, not buying shirts etc and sponsors not wanting to be linked to Utd - but that will never happen. United will still be a cashcow to the Glazers for years to come sadly.

I’m loving my life

Do you really think we are protesting just because we lost to Brighton? If not, then no we aren't fickle. Theres always going to be a straw that breaks the camels back before a protest is given the green light.

By your logic a lot of protests are fickle.
I think fans are a bigger obstacle to getting the club back than the Glazers themselves. Enabling the Glazers by spreading apathy and dissent against protest activity is helping the Glazers remain comfortable. Protests are going to have to also take into account the sheer amount of placid, enabling fans who are happy to accept what is happening, on top of the primary objective of sending a message to the Glazers to force a sale.

romufc

An empty OT stadium might make headline news, share prices might drop and sponsors might come and go - but we'll still get our revenue somehow and the Glazers will sit happily on the other side of the pond drinking cocktails at their Florida mansions taking dividends no matter what happens.

The only way they'll sell is if there is a proper full blow protest from every United fan week in week out with no one turning up at OT, protesting outside instead, not buying shirts etc and sponsors not wanting to be linked to Utd - but that will never happen. United will still be a cashcow to the Glazers for years to come sadly.
I know what people are trying to say about not going to a game but paying for it has no meaning but that isn't true.

When they signed up to the super league, it was protests and getting Liverpool game called off that made the headlines and got things moving.

An empty stadium regardless of paid for or not tickets makes a statement. It doesnt help if its 5000 empty seats though, it has to be half the stadium at least and fans outside the stadium.

Alot of fans who are anti glazer but willing to do nothing about it, then cry about the ownership.

clarkydaz

I think fans are a bigger obstacle to getting the club back than the Glazers themselves. Enabling the Glazers by spreading apathy and dissent against protest activity is helping the Glazers remain comfortable. Protests are going to have to also take into account the sheer amount of placid, enabling fans who are happy to accept what is happening, on top of the primary objective of sending a message to the Glazers to force a sale.
well said. For a vast fanbase, they cant really come together

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Our fans are so fickle. If we won against Brighton, everyone would be happy and not even mentioning the owners, but we lose our first competitive game under a new manager, with tactics that will clearly take some time to come to fruition, and everything is doom and gloom and the owners are the worst. It is not the Glazers fault we lost against Brighton.

Yes the owners need to go, but coming out whinging about them when we have a bad result but being quiet when we have good results is not the way. It just makes us as fans look like petulant children.
Hard not to agree with this. If De Jong had been able to convince his missus that it won’t rain in Manchester he could have been a big factor in that hypothetical win against Brighton. And the mood would be completely different to what it is now. Likewise if Ronaldo hadn’t been acting the bollox and we weren’t being linked with racist has beens as cover for him.

If all the above had happened the feel good vibes would be amazing. And you can absolutely guarantee there would be no plan to empty the stadium for the Liverpool game.

Obviously this doesn’t mean the Glazers are good owners. But fans are definitely fickle. And this protest feels very knee jerk.

We need an rvn

I know what people are trying to say about not going to a game but paying for it has no meaning but that isn't true.

When they signed up to the super league, it was protests and getting Liverpool game called off that made the headlines and got things moving.

An empty stadium regardless of paid for or not tickets makes a statement. It doesnt help if its 5000 empty seats though, it has to be half the stadium at least and fans outside the stadium.

Alot of fans who are anti glazer but willing to do nothing about it, then cry about the ownership.
Completely agree. It's got to be a huge majority in order for it to make an impact. 5000 fans refusing to go to a match will not do a single thing.

I did my bit by moving 260 miles away from OT to the south coast 10 years ago and I'm still waiting for the rest of you to join in with my protest to the Glazers. As far away from OT as I could get as the temptation to go to matches was still too much ;)

Brilad

Liverpool Fan
No. Where we are now is the result of inaction for too many years as we basically learned nothing from how Liverpool fans took the war against Hicks and Gillett right next door. The writing has been on the wall for years, but the fanbase has done next to nothing bar the odd protest.
What Liverpool fans did was brilliantly simple they absolutely bombarded the money men behind hicks and Gillette with simple stuff like Emails phone calls some even hounded the men themselves.
The institution’s that funded H+G found there systems crashing,they didn’t like this at all ,then the Liverpool fans turned on the sponsors all of them using the same tactics bombarded them with emails phone calls and the like ,it went on and on and on and became intolerable for these people to deal with .
Imagine the global fan base of Utd doing this ????millions upon millions bombarding the glazier’s backers and sponsors.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
They could sell the ground out several times over. I don’t think it’ll even make a dent.
They can't sell tickets that are already sold. So if ST holders didn't go there's nothing the club could do to fill the stadium.

Jacob

Because it’s Redcafe. Not true fans here. Just nerdy keyboard pushers.
No such thing as a true fan. Dividing between ourselves is how Glazers win. Nobody is going to thank you for supporting United the way you do.

Carl

If that happens I’d resign if I was ETH. What’s the fecking point? Indifference at ownership level, incompetence at board room level and rank toxicity within the fan base. We’re one game in and it all looks fecked. He should go back to Ajax. Nobody is getting the environment or time needed to succeed at this place anymore.
Protesting the ownership of the club is "rank toxicity" now? OK then.

romufc

Completely agree. It's got to be a huge majority in order for it to make an impact. 5000 fans refusing to go to a match will not do a single thing.

I did my bit by moving 260 miles away from OT to the south coast 10 years ago and I'm still waiting for the rest of you to join in with my protest to the Glazers. As far away from OT as I could get as the temptation to go to matches was still too much ;)
I think its alot of fans are of that opinion that not showing up to games but paying for tickets means nothing, they are wrong. The reason the super league got thrown out so quick, was the fan reaction.

When a fan says I will go to watch games regardless, because it makes no difference, that actually makes no difference.

Showing up Old Trafford and not going in, is a massive statement if a big portion of the stadium does it, even if the money is paid.

I havent bought a united shirt in 10 years, I will not be doing so under the Glazers either.

I keep seing youtube fans crying about the Glazers but they attend all the games and tweet Glazer out like thats going to do anything.

Carl

If we can only protest when we're winning we'd never be able to protest :lol:

Yagami

Good post resistant
How bout you lot start booing those players not worthy to wear the shirt for a start?
Never.

The players don’t make United purchase or promote them. The players don’t make the manager pick them. There have been players I cannot stand (some here now) but I’ll never boo them

This is on our poor approach to football as a whole. Scout and buy press resistant players. Stop buying these lightweight ones like Eriksen most recently.

SuperiorXI

This has already been tried after the Super League debacle where the mood toward the Glazers was arguably much worse and about 5 people left.

TSop

Supports
Altrincham
OT will be full for every game. Most my mates are Reds and yes they know its rubbish but they go out of habit and to have a few beers.

It what it is. They own your club till they don't want to an there is nothing you can do about that.

There are no end of day trippers who will gladly sit there and replace anyone who doesn't go.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The only way the Glazers are removed is by nearly killing the host body.

Just like any other parasite, they'll cling on until they cannot leach anymore, then escape to save themselves.

Are we as a fanbase comfortable with this? It won't require United just slightly missing out on the top 4, we will probably be mid table at best.

No more fancy £60m signings, no talk of world class players. It'll be your Arnautovic's.

It'll take to nearly kill the club before they go. Who will want to buy a fallen giant on life support at that stage?

JB7

Feel like the fact we were protesting their ownership before they even took over & during times of success too would be news to some of you of think it's fickle to be protesting now. :rolleyes:

SuperiorXI

If the Government was actually a capable one, they'd have stepped in when the Super League happened and done something to remove these clowns from our national institution. MUFC makes a lot of money for the country, it's something to be proud of and protected like all the other top clubs. But we have been allowed to be torn to shreads for the sake of profit to a foreign owner. Shambolic.

I even heard that during the Chelsea takeover, one of the Government provisions was there was to be no glazertype owners, so they know full well the damages caused but not got the balls or will to correct it.

Matthew84!

Some fans will complain about anything, I think the site of thousands of empty seats will definitely make the headlines, more so if they are standing out side protesting,
No point booing the players as we know they just aren't good enough,

TSop

Supports
Altrincham
If the Government was actually a capable one, they'd have stepped in when the Super League happened and done something to remove these clowns from our national institution. MUFC makes a lot of money for the country, it's something to be proud of and protected like all the other top clubs. But we have been allowed to be torn to shreads for the sake of profit to a foreign owner. Shambolic.

I even heard that during the Chelsea takeover, one of the Government provisions was there was to be no glazertype owners, so they know full well the damages caused but not got the balls or will to correct it.
Think the government have other things to worry about rather than a few united fans who are upset becuae you can sign any good players

romufc

Some fans will complain about anything, I think the site of thousands of empty seats will definitely make the headlines, more so if they are standing out side protesting,
No point booing the players as we know they just aren't good enough,
Exactly. Fans in the stadium booing the team when and taking it out on the players is kind of pointless. Everyone then post game will cry how McFred arent good enough, Rashford, Bruno, depth etc... but what is the reason for this?

We are going into the 3rd season with McFred, this season they are the ONLY senior midfielders, yet the fans will moan at the player not the structure.

Instead we will post McTominay stats like that will change anything.

In 2020, we were looking at a winger, midfielder and left footed CB. Its 2022 and that is exactly what we are looking for this summer.

Carl

Feel like the fact we were protesting their ownership before they even took over & during times of success too would be news to some of you of think it's fickle to be protesting now. :rolleyes:
Nah. United fans have only given a shit about the ownership since Fergie left and everything went to shit on the pitch.

CloneMC16

I agree with you and that's the main problem. Our fans will only protest for a couple weeks and then stop. It has to be a consistent thing to really have much of an effect. The Glazers know all they have to do is ride it out for a couple weeks and people will stop.

I also don't think it will ever work, because the fanbase is so divided. It's hard to tell people not to go when they have already paid to do so.

ZupZup

I can't remember what game it was last season... but they tried to organise a protest where everyone would stay outside until just the 17th minute... a minute for every year of Glazer ownership. It wasn't even that big a game.

I stayed outside but how many others did? Maybe a few thousand at best and it wasn't even very noticeable. In light of that evidence, the idea that people will stay outside for the whole of the match against Liverpool en masse, seems like fantasy.

steffyr2

I've asked who this guy is...does anyone know?
Also, if the fans revolt 3 games after a new manager is appointed, won't it easily be seen as revolting against the selection of the new manager?

Andy_Cole

No such thing as a true fan. Dividing between ourselves is how Glazers win. Nobody is going to thank you for supporting United the way you do.
You’re right about ‘true fans’. But on here there’s just the usual Twitter fans who criticise on anything and everything just to get a rise out of people. What’s the term? Trolls.

Also I’d like to separate myself from the fans who racially abuse our players etc. So yeh maybe ‘true’ isn’t the right word. Maybe cnuty fans.

JB7

Also, if the fans revolt 3 games after a new manager is appointed, won't it easily be seen as revolting against the selection of the new manager?
Kaveh Solekol, he's a journalist on Sky Sports News. And no, the manager was supported before, during and after the game on Sunday.

clarkydaz

when everyone is singing Glazers out and banners? Everyone knows where the resentment is