Emre Can

edcunited1878

No thanks, we're desperate but not that desperate.

'He's better than what we have'.....still not good enough to be challenging for league titles, honestly if we can't get players in for to drive us to that next level I wouldn't bother.

You know what a team full of Emra Can level players would win? feck all. We're going down that path of recruiting shite again.

Wank player, feck it I said it.
Good enough to fill a desperate need. He'd immediately be the second best central midfielder ahead of McTominay, Matic and Fred. Matic will be leaving soon, Fred maybe soon thereafter. So that's 3 central midfielders. Garner will be too young and inexperienced. United will still need at least one other center mid in their ranks if Matic is phased out. Fred cannot be this bad and inconsistent but he's making a believer out of all of us.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
As a bandaid I wont mind.

Just dont get the point of selling average plan b players like blind and fellaini to replace them with more of the same
This. Personally wouldn't mind this deal if the wages and price was fair. But not another 200-250k plus for a rather average/good footballer.

We have so many positions to upgrade and with the current state of the market prices, I guess some short term compromises are going to have to be made as we can't plug all those gaps at once.

So if a Sancho became available, as an example, he'd take 70-80% of any budget. So then a "band aid" signing makes sense. It also depends on whether Pogba is still here or not, of course.

Castia

Good enough to fill a desperate need. He'd immediately be the second best central midfielder ahead of McTominay, Matic and Fred. Matic will be leaving soon, Fred maybe soon thereafter. So that's 3 central midfielders. Garner will be too young and inexperienced. United will still need at least one other center mid in their ranks if Matic is phased out. Fred cannot be this bad and inconsistent but he's making a believer out of all of us.

But he's still not good enough, we're replacing mediocre players with more mediocrity. We'll forever be in a position of mid table with those types of players.

I could write a list of 200 players in the PL who are better than our lot its not saying much in Can being better than Matic. James Milner and Fabian Delph are probably good enough to get into our midfield, doesn't mean we should be signing them.

UpWithRivers

But he's still not good enough, we're replacing mediocre players with more mediocrity. We'll forever be in a position of mid table with those types of players.

I could write a list of 200 players in the PL who are better than our lot its not saying much in Can being better than Matic. James Milner and Fabian Delph are probably good enough to get into our midfield, doesn't mean we should be signing them.
Yes but if it means Fred and Matic leave in summer then Can be back up to two new midfielders. Not that it will happen but it would be the right strategy.

SATA

We are going to sign him for 35M whom Juve got on a free and yet let Ander Herrera go because he demanded more wages and who is also the better player? How does this work out?

starman

Thought he was pretty good at Liverpool, they and Klopp never wanted to lose him, so hes not a reject, as some are suggesting, he left on a free.

He is a former Liverpool player....but i dont think we can be snobbish at the moment. Maybe could knock 5m off if we include Matic in the deal....

Kostov

So this grand plan of getting our identity back leads to buying Emre feckin Can in January? Yeah it would be so typical to the shit we’ve been seeing for years now.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We need premier League standard players at CM.

So yes.

A depth player next season hopefully.

Green_Red

I honestly dont give two fecks what is form has been we dont take scouse castoffs into our club, ever. Get fecked!

Ekeke

If he could recapture his form from his final season at Liverpool he'd improve our midfield options a lot and could give McTominay some competition which he doesnt have from Fred and Matic currently

edcunited1878

Matic is still the better midfielder than Delph, not Milner

Mainoldo

Makes too much sense. Was convinced he was lined up when he was on a free.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's another box to box midfielder in the mould of what we have in McTominay, isn't he? I just don't see where he'd fit in.

I mean, can he play as a holding midfielder?

Alabaster Codify7

We are going to sign him for 35M whom Juve got on a free and yet let Ander Herrera go because he demanded more wages and who is also the better player? How does this work out?
We're like a weird money-laundering operation for Juve haha!

Juventus' car-wash run by Bulgarians!

RUCK4444

He's another box to box midfielder in the mould of what we have in McTominay, isn't he? I just don't see where he'd fit in.

I mean, can he play as a holding midfielder?
I agree with your point on the whole, however most people with two legs would get a few games in our midfield.

He’s not the answer to our problems but is not a bad player to help bolster the squad. Type of player that would have been a decent option right now with injuries.

We should be aiming higher really but as mentioned I would take him as another option in the squad. Always thought he was decent for the scousers.

AKDevil

What is an Emre Can? Absolute nothing footballer. If anyone can tell me what he's good at, what qualities he would bring to a team, please do.

SAFMUTD

So people celebrate when we get rid of the deadwood and then are happy to fill those gaps with more deadwood? Strange

Alabaster Codify7

For 35m we should pay the 50m for Zakaria instead.

I agree but we're in a weird situation in my opinion, where as a club we either sign an Emre Can (big club experience, good price) or a Sean Longstaff (big price, little experience but British). Dennis Zakaria doesnt tick any of 'our boxes' under Ole - he's young, foreign, has no PL experience and will cost a moderately high price.

I'd say we have zero chance of going for Zakaria, about 50% chance of Can and about 80% of Longstaff and it scares me.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm not even a massive fan of Can, but people getting sniffy about him when our midfield as it stands has Nemanja Matic and Fred in it and Scott McTominay suddenly being elevated into an apparently integral player, seems wilfully blind as to the realities of our position.

arthurka

I agree but we're in a weird situation in my opinion, where as a club we either sign an Emre Can (big club experience, good price) or a Sean Longstaff (big price, little experience but British). Dennis Zakaria doesnt tick any of 'our boxes' under Ole - he's young, foreign, has no PL experience and will cost a moderately high price.

I'd say we have zero chance of going for Zakaria, about 50% chance of Can and about 80% of Longstaff and it scares me.
Me too

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Classic "not good enough" pattern that has seen you stick with players far worse and led to your current predicament.

He's better than any of your other midfielders not named Pogba. If he's not good enough for where you want to be, he'd still be a better player to have in the squad when you sign the superstar that will be good enough for where you want to be.

Twiddling your thumbs while waiting for Sancho and other hopefuls to become available, instead of getting in measurable improvements who can be part of the rebuild, is a big part of why your squad is as poor as it is.

Scholsey2004

Classic "not good enough" pattern that has seen you stick with players far worse and led to your current predicament.

He's better than any of your other midfielders not named Pogba. If he's not good enough for where you want to be, he'd still be a better player to have in the squad when you sign the superstar that will be good enough for where you want to be.

Twiddling your thumbs while waiting for Sancho and other hopefuls to become available, instead of getting in measurable improvements who can be part of the rebuild, is a big part of why your squad is as poor as it is.
This. One of the most sensible posts I've read in a while.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm not even a massive fan of Can, but people getting sniffy about him when our midfield as it stands has Nemanja Matic and Fred in it and Scott McTominay suddenly being elevated into an apparently integral player, seems wilfully blind as to the realities of our position.
I think everyone knows he'd be an improvement on everyone bar Pogba, but that doesn't mean we should settle for more rubbish.

It's about time we started signing some good footballers. We've got enough players who "can do a job" in midfield. We need some that can actually pass, create, withstand pressing opposition, and Can ticks none of those boxes.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
I think everyone knows he'd be an improvement on everyone bar Pogba, but that doesn't mean we should settle for more rubbish.

It's about time we started signing some good footballers. We've got enough players who "can do a job" in midfield. We need some that can actually pass, create, withstand pressing opposition, and Can ticks none of those boxes.
What good footballers do you think are out there who would be more than happy to join a Man Utd team that has been on a gradual decline ever since Ferguson left?, Whose biggest star in Pobga is trying to get out of the club, are not playing champions League football and have an inexperienced manager who has no charisma and no plan. Man Utd are is a position where players like Emre Can can come in and improve on what you currently have in midfield until you can be in a position to attract the bigger players again. It's a slow steady process that you can't rush. Can is a decent versatile midfielder with plenty of top level experience and would definitely be a good signing for you guys in my opinion.

Yagami

Good post resistant
What good footballers do you think are out there who would be more than happy to join a Man Utd team that has been on a gradual decline ever since Ferguson left?, Whose biggest star in Pobga is trying to get out of the club, are not playing champions League football and have an inexperienced manager who has no charisma and no plan. Man Utd are is a position where players like Emre Can can come in and improve on what you currently have in midfield until you can be in a position to attract the bigger players again. It's a slow steady process that you can't rush. Can is a decent versatile midfielder with plenty of top level experience and would definitely be a good signing for you guys in my opinion.
I'm sure a lot of good footballers would love to play for Manchester United regardless of our recent struggles.

Just like plenty of good footballers jumped at the chance to play for Liverpool in your bad years.

We have enough decent players. We need some that are actually good with the ball now. As it stands, we only have 3 players who can use the ball well in Maguire, Pogba and Martial, and that's nowhere near good enough.

BusterGonads

Supports
Liverpool
Can't help feeling a bit of Schadenfreude at Emre's plight. He had it all at Liverpool (undeservedly so) and chose to bugger off cos he thought he was a much better player than he is.

He divided opinion at Pool, some thought he was great but I suspect those fans would have defended any Pool player no matter how shite they were. I thought he was bang average. He gave the ball away a lot by holding on to it for too long, often in dangerous areas when half our team were upfield expecting a pass. He had no dribbling skill but would constantly try and run through the middle of a crowded park which irritated the feck out of me. He was decent defensively, had a decent shot but not much more to his game than that. I'd liken him to Eric Dier, not much better or worse

The main thing he had going for him was that Klopp loved him, he had a blind spot for Emre. I rarely disagree with anything Klopp does (freezing out Sahko for Lovren and Skrtel stands out too) and I was delighted that Emre took matters into his own hands otherwise he might still be clogging up our midfield. I was also slightly miffed that he turned his back on the club (even though I though he was shite) and gobsmacked that Juve wanted him. I'll take a pedestrian Hendo or Milner every day of the week over Emre. Having said that he would be a slight improvement over McTomminey and a vast one over Matic and Fred but I doubt he will go to Utd. The humiliation of being 30m down the road from where he could be will prove too much. I reckon his agent is using Utd to smoke any other interested parties out

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
At one point I would’ve pissed myself laughing at this link but looking our midfield options I’d drive him to Manchester myself, and I can’t even drive.