England Cricket Winter 2017/18 - Ashes & NZ

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
That's vile. Especially when the two who were being attacked then seemed to be backing down; he just kept on going at them.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Vile cnut, deserves to be jailed for this.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Look on the bright side, his demerit points will be reset to zero by the time he plays again.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Absolute cnut. Should be charged by the police & dropped from the England squad.

ChrisNelson

I was talking to my boss about this yesterday, such a talented cricketer with both bat and ball, a real vital cog to the England team. But as a person definitely someone you'd want to avoid off the pitch, just seems like he can't control himself.
The ECB will be absolutely crucified if they take him to Australia because comparisons will be drawn to Pietersen whose international career was ended by Strauss (a decision I happen to agree with) we have to assume because of personality clashes.
This is a much worse scenario to become embroiled in and it doesn't matter how important he is to the team, they can't be seen to taking someone on tour after this.
Obviously the squad was announced before this video surfaced so the ECB have some big decisions to make over the next few days.
I'll open up the floor to suggestions on his replacement!! England seem to produce one decent all-rounder per generation (none of whom seem to be able to stay out of the spotlight) but never a backup!

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Obviously the squad was announced before this video surfaced so the ECB have some big decisions to make over the next few days.
I'll open up the floor to suggestions on his replacement!! England seem to produce one decent all-rounder per generation (none of whom seem to be able to stay out of the spotlight) but never a backup!
I imagine since England have Moeen and Woakes in the side, another all rounder isn't a necessity. With Stokes out, the batting order below him will go up one and a bowler like Craig Overton will probably come in.

It's a shame though since Stokes is a genuine all rounder unlike the two above. But after that video, can't see how he can go on the tour.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
4-0 to Aus I reckon with an inquest to follow and Bayliss to get sacked.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong.
England might pinch Melbourne or Sydney but the damage will have been done by then. Australia generally win at the Gabba and has not lost at there since 1988, Perth is a bit of a fortress too and England probably won't be familiar enough with the day night test format. It could be over after three tests i reckon.

TheGame

Apparently, there is more to this Stokes story, latest reports are that he was intervening to defend someone and the other person was waving a bottle around. Might not be as clear-cut as people are making out.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Apparently, there is more to this Stokes story, latest reports are that he was intervening to defend someone and the other person was waving a bottle around. Might not be as clear-cut as people are making out.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
If that was a bottle the other guy swung first I have zero sympathy for him getting a kicking.

paulscholes18

FFS, who can replace Stokes in tests and ODIs and Rashid is the only top ODI bowler we have, Hales is a huge blow as well

KM

Was always going to happen once that video came out.

slyadams

We shouldn’t draw conclusions, let the investigations happen. People were immediately hammering him for the whole affair, then the rumours of someone trying to bottle him come out and there’s a bit of sympathy. Then more rumours of him stepping in when two gay guys were being threatened and most people are basically ok with everything up to the final punch. We don’t know what happened before and with that much provocation, adrenalin and drink being involved, can we all say we could just have switched it off so easily and quickly?

SammyUnited_83

We shouldn’t draw conclusions, let the investigations happen. People were immediately hammering him for the whole affair, then the rumours of someone trying to bottle him come out and there’s a bit of sympathy. Then more rumours of him stepping in when two gay guys were being threatened and most people are basically ok with everything up to the final punch. We don’t know what happened before and with that much provocation, adrenalin and drink being involved, can we all say we could just have switched it off so easily and quickly?
The latest video is arguably worse.

How someone of that status can get themselves in this mess is beyond me.

G-manc

Such a poor squad and a measure of the muddled selection process of the whole summer.

In fairness, i don't think there's actually too many options in regards to batting outside of who is picked. He's not pulled up any trees but you could argue a case for Hameeb based on his stubbornness or perhaps Browne on form. I don't see the point in taking people you have dropped recently with the intention of them playing in Australia i.e Balance. Surely he should've been playing so he could work with the coaches.

The Aussies aren't in the best place either but unlike England they have some genuine pace in their bowling attack. The England attack is much of a muchness in terms of pace variation whereas i could envisage Cummins or Start cleaning someone up with a 90mph yorker out of nothing.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Such a poor squad and a measure of the muddled selection process of the whole summer.

In fairness, i don't think there's actually too many options in regards to batting outside of who is picked. He's not pulled up any trees but you could argue a case for Hameeb based on his stubbornness or perhaps Browne on form. I don't see the point in taking people you have dropped recently with the intention of them playing in Australia i.e Balance. Surely he should've been playing so he could work with the coaches.

The Aussies aren't in the best place either but unlike England they have some genuine pace in their bowling attack. The England attack is much of a muchness in terms of pace variation whereas i could envisage Cummins or Start cleaning someone up with a 90mph yorker out of nothing.
Hameed would have gone I reckon, but he broke a finger in the penultimate county game.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Lot of Stokes bashing going on here (pun intended) and the tabloids are having a field day, but it looks from the video to me that he came to someone's aide. Anyway, let's wait and see what the facts are before passing judgement.

Rooney24

Lot of Stokes bashing going on here (pun intended) and the tabloids are having a field day, but it looks from the video to me that he came to someone's aide. Anyway, let's wait and see what the facts are before passing judgement.
Possibly, but I think its clear from the video he is still agressive and going for these guys after they are backing away. reckon that will do for him. better get a good lawyer.

KM

The intention of Stokes might be good( are people really taking Piers Morgan's word on this?) but the fact is the video shows that he was continuously hitting them when the other two backed away too. That'll be the clincher if the court gives him a punishment. He can use self defence obviously but judging from the video that won't help him.

Also this doesn't do him any favours.

https://thetab.com/uk/bristol/2017/...nating-katie-prices-disabled-son-harvey-30565

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why the feck is Ball in the squad? A half fit Wood is miles better. Predicting Ball's international career to end after match figures of 1/220.

G-manc

Why the feck is Ball in the squad? A half fit Wood is miles better. Predicting Ball's international career to end after match figures of 1/220.
I can't see Ball doing anything on Aussie tracks either. I'd have taken Plunkett over him - he has some pace and hits the deck hard.

NinjaFletch

He has a nice action...

Shame about the lack of pace, movement, accuracy, bounce or anything that would make a bowler an international player...

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Gutted Roy didn't get his 100 but he put in a great account of himself these last two games.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Gutted Roy didn't get his 100 but he put in a great account of himself these last two games.
Our batting depth looks very strong in limited overs. Two of our senior players get banned and nothing changes.

paulscholes18

England have only gave 8 players test contracts
Cook
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

welshmanc75

England have only gave 8 players test contracts
Cook
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Anderson
Just highlights the complete uncertainty of the opener and middle order positions. Have a bad feeling about this series that things could unravel pretty quickly. Adding Finn at least gives a little more pace but he has big demons to overcome after the last Ashes tour. Warner must be licking his lips at the thought of facing Jake Ball

paulscholes18

Stoneman, Vince, Malan & Ballance made made 50s but Cook 0 & Root 9 ( Root should have been given NO as he didn’t hit it)
England 349/6 after day 1V WACA X1

BerbaDean

Steven Finn has been ruled out of the Ashes and been replaced by Tom Curran, I think it shows Mark Wood is nowhere near fit yet!

G-manc

All the reports i read said Ball was the pick of the bowlers in the first warm up game and was the quickest of our attack.:confused:

I'm not bothered at all about Finn. He looks like he's regressed from when he first came onto the International scene and he seems to be fragile mentally which is the last thing you need in Australia.

paulscholes18

Now Jake Ball has sprained his ankle.
Mason Crane picked up 3 wickets as CA dec on 233/9