England Discussion | Finish 4th

fuchs_spices

Supports
VFL Osnabrück
I fancy England to win this game. With James most likely beeing out of the game (or at least not match fit) Colombia will probably struggle to get many chances. I read somewhere that he has a bruise in his right calf.

I liked the look of Quintero so far. I wonder why he didn't really cut it at Porto. Does anyone know why he joined River Plate?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
if James plays would fancy Colombia to cause England all sort of problems which i dont think there defence could cope with, although if he dont would fancy England to win by a few.
Win by a few?! England have won by more than 1 goal just 3 times in World Cup knockout stage history...and that's if you include games that first went into extra time. How bad do you think Colombia are?!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Win by a few?! England have won by more than 1 goal just 3 times in World Cup knockout stage history...and that's if you include games that first went into extra time. How bad do you think Colombia are?!
It's mad isn't it.

Murray3007

A few in like 2 goals like a score of 2-0 ? without James columbia looked very ordinary. Germany had got out the group stages at nearly every world cup before, so not sure what history has to do when predicting this world cup

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Bricking it today, even though it's coming home obviously.

Colombia are a good side, vey experienced, have a gelled together team, and we're so unpredictable just because it's a new team that hasn't really been tested.

But this is what it's all about, big games at world cups, and we've been starved of them over recent years, best enjoy it, even if it ends up being just one knockout match.
I'm oddly nervous this morning too. You can't beat knockout football - all or nothing.

I'd like to see England out of the traps fast, no fecking about, and taking the game to Colombia. They've got the firepower to do that.

Difficult to call though - just hoping for a another good game in a cracking World Cup and that England give a good account of themselves. A solid win tonight and it's onward and upwards.

SteveTheRed

It's nearly impossible not to get excited at the prospect of beating Colombia, having an "easier" route to the final but as they say football is played on grass, not paper.

Need the team to play like this is the final tonight, and if they play to full capability they will win.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I hope England give it a go, I know it was the reserves playing against Belgium but it never felt like England were going to get anything from that match.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm nervous too.

Funny how some are so miserable they can't even muster up a bit of hope and are desperate to mock anyone that does, dying to say 'I told you so' if we get knocked out.

Smores

Very very excited about this, think we'll definitely concede but i think we have enough to score a couple.

MUFC OK

Also, fwiw, It's Coming Home is a firmly tongue-in-cheek, self-effacing song. The lyrics talk about how "we still believe" (ie. faith in the absence of reason) and reference our numerous failures.
Couldn't have put it better. Most England fans are self-deprecating and realistic about the teams chances. I haven't spoken to anyone who genuinely thinks we will win it. I guess our humour doesn't always translate well.

For foreign football fans, or any England fans that haven't seen it I thoroughly recommend watching the film Mike Bassett: England Manager. This film literally nails every cliché about the English national team, the media, and of course the manager. It's one of best films I've ever seen and it's available on youtube. Go watch it.

LordSpud

Very very excited about this, think we'll definitely concede but i think we have enough to score a couple.
Oh God... We're the NT equivalent of Liverpool aren't we? :nervous:

Then again if we treat this World Cup like it they did the CL then we could be alright!!

Judas

Open to offers
I hope England give it a go, I know it was the reserves playing against Belgium but it never felt like England were going to get anything from that match.
We never looked like we wanted anything out of the game really. It's pointless to inspect anything about that performance.

I'm nervous too.

Funny how some are so miserable they can't even muster up a bit of hope and are desperate to mock anyone that does, dying to say 'I told you so' if we get knocked out.
Most of those people aren't English though, or they're Liverpool fans.

tonnas

I’m seeing these non English United fans in a whole new light now. If you hate the English that much go and support some other football club.
I am not an English United fan, but here in Malta lots of United fans are massive England fans !! I dont get why the general public are calling the English arrogant, ofc its an easier side and whats wrong to believe? Even the Croats are saying it!! The hatred towards England from other fans is unbelievable. I really Hope England win tonight !!

grahamo

The way that England's side of the draw is working out I think anything less than a semi final place will leave them very disappointed. Hopefully those players can step up to the plate. Good luck to them. Carpe Diem!

Ban

I am not an English United fan, but here in Malta lots of United fans are massive England fans !! I dont get why the general public are calling the English arrogant, ofc its an easier side and whats wrong to believe? Even the Croats are saying it!! The hatred towards England from other fans is unbelievable. I really Hope England win tonight !!
Leave us out of it. :)

cyberman

Couldn't have put it better. Most England fans are self-deprecating and realistic about the teams chances. I haven't spoken to anyone who genuinely thinks we will win it. I guess our humour doesn't always translate well.

For foreign football fans, or any England fans that haven't seen it I thoroughly recommend watching the film Mike Bassett: England Manager. This film literally nails every cliché about the English national team, the media, and of course the manager. It's one of best films I've ever seen and it's available on youtube. Go watch it.
But the giddyness doesn't back you up, I just think you're not being honest with yourselves.
Its like when City looked like dropping points last season, it was a real possibility at times but you'd have posts like Otamendi 90m winner incoming.
You're really excited it could happen, you actually believe it can but nerves tell you you're wrong then he scores and it's all I told you, always knew it would happen.
It seems English fans are at the latter stage of that game ATM!
Are you confusing nerves with low expectations? Fans of countries with low expectations (us Irish are experts in it) don't plot their way to semi finals now.

Ban

us? You mean Croatia?
Yup, there are just a few of us here and only thing I saw was problem with some pundits' comments about not fearing us or something. Which in self isn't a problem. I see camps creating here which isn't good. Whoever is against England is a foreign fan who shouldnt be an United fan like those 2 things go hand in hand.

Good luck England, let's post some nice stuff here instead of waging some stupid Internet wars. Suddenly it's all so dramatic.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
He's not proven anything yet. This is why everyone hates Tottenham fans: the arrogance.
Have you been living under a rock for the last 4 years? It's hardly arrogance to think that Kane might well prove the difference: there isn't a more focused, more dedicated and more driven player in world football … and his goal-scoring record is phenomenal.

I fancy England to win tonight in a high-scoring game.

Dundrummer

Tonight will most likely come down entirely to Harry Kane's (admittedly well-honed) ability to pull goals out of his arse. None of the other players in that daft first 11 have any kind of goalscoring form at international level, and they're completely incapable of creating chances in this nonsense formation.

That or England will yet again be the beneficiary of terrible defending at set pieces and John Stones will continue his quest for the golden boot.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Tonight will most likely come down entirely to Harry Kane's (admittedly well-honed) ability to pull goals out of his arse. None of the other players in that daft first 11 have any kind of goalscoring form at international level, and they're completely incapable of creating chances in this nonsense formation.

That or England will yet again be the beneficiary of terrible defending at set pieces and John Stones will continue his quest for the golden boot.
England have created plenty of chances, they have just wasted them.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

It's funny because Lingard has scored the only intentional goal from open play for England.

Set pieces, penalties and deflections can't be relied upon against top teams, who have good organisation on set pieces and have the defensive nous not to give away penalties.

Dundrummer

England have created plenty of chances, they have just wasted them.
I went back and watched the highlights of all 3 games earlier. Outside of set pieces they've created a grand total of 5 proper chances in 3 games.

Lingard against Tunisia (saved)
Lingard against Tunisia (hit the post)
Lingard against Panama (won a penalty)
Lingard against Panama (scored)
Rashford against Belgium (saved)

It's a talented group of attacking players being squeezed into a spastic system.

Honest John

But the giddyness doesn't back you up, I just think you're not being honest with yourselves.
Its like when City looked like dropping points last season, it was a real possibility at times but you'd have posts like Otamendi 90m winner incoming.
You're really excited it could happen, you actually believe it can but nerves tell you you're wrong then he scores and it's all I told you, always knew it would happen.
It seems English fans are at the latter stage of that game ATM!
Are you confusing nerves with low expectations? Fans of countries with low expectations (us Irish are experts in it) don't plot their way to semi finals now.
The plottings not the problem. We can all do that. Win every game, win the World Cup. Simples. It's the doing that's the problem.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
A few in like 2 goals like a score of 2-0 ? without James columbia looked very ordinary. Germany had got out the group stages at nearly every world cup before, so not sure what history has to do when predicting this world cup
I agree Colombia look quite ordinary, but I'd say the same about England. They're not a special team. Favourites, maybe even big favourites, but hardly extraordinary. Like most teams in this World Cup. Do you think this England team are more than ordinary?

Didn't 4 of the last 5 WC winners go out in the group stages? I think history is always relevant in the WC, personally. There's a reason England have only done what you're suggesting 3 times in WC history: at this point there's very little separating teams, unless it's a truly special side like Pele's Brazil or Cruyff's Netherlands. And you add in the tight schedule, the temperature, the long season - not many teams dominate.

Even if you think each World Cup should be judged on its own, and this one is truly special, you need only look at the results in this round so far to see that pattern maintain. Only 1 game has been won by more than one goal, which came around the 90th minute. 2 others were won by one goal, and 2 were won on penalties.

So either you think Colombia are really bad, or you think this England team is exceptional...I find it hard to believe anyone thinks the latter. So I reckon Colombia are a lot better than you give them credit for.

saivet

I went back and watched the highlights of all 3 games earlier. Outside of set pieces they've created a grand total of 5 proper chances in 3 games.

Lingard against Tunisia (saved)
Lingard against Tunisia (hit the post)
Lingard against Panama (won a penalty)
Lingard against Panama (scored)
Rashford against Belgium (saved)

It's a talented group of attacking players being squeezed into a spastic system.
Good job set pieces count then

Murray3007

I agree Colombia look quite ordinary, but I'd say the same about England. They're not a special team. Favourites, maybe even big favourites, but hardly extraordinary. Like most teams in this World Cup. Do you think this England team are more than ordinary?

Didn't 4 of the last 5 WC winners go out in the group stages? I think history is always relevant in the WC, personally. There's a reason England have only done what you're suggesting 3 times in WC history: at this point there's very little separating teams, unless it's a truly special side like Pele's Brazil or Cruyff's Netherlands. And you add in the tight schedule, the temperature, the long season - not many teams dominate.

Even if you think each World Cup should be judged on its own, and this one is truly special, you need only look at the results in this round so far to see that pattern maintain. Only 1 game has been won by more than one goal, which came around the 90th minute. 2 others were won by one goal, and 2 were won on penalties.

So either you think Colombia are really bad, or you think this England team is exceptional...I find it hard to believe anyone thinks the latter. So I reckon Colombia are a lot better than you give them credit for.
i think u should go back and read my post i maintained that with james i think colombia would win, the last 4 team winner going out most looked like they had lost the hunger they had in the previous world cup. so what is the goal comes in the 90th min to make it 2-0 ? is the game not 90 mins long, if france didnt let a goal in the 90mins they would have won by 2 goals as well, so your putting facts in to suit yourself, what has happened in all the other games have no effect on what will happen in this game. i dont think england are execptional no but i also dont think more then 2/3 colombia players would start for England and there main one looks like potentially missing it.