England Discussion | Finish 4th

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
yeah like no one could see england winning this game 2-0 or 3-1 its just so mad really
It would be an absolutely fantastic result if they did - that is the point though. Some people are talking like they SHOULD win it by that margin.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It would be an absolutely fantastic result if they did - that is the point though. Some people are talking like they SHOULD win it by that margin.
Paul Merson style comment!

Some right bellends in the media

Zachari

I am super disappointed in what England and Japan did in their last group games.
Especially since Japan are famous with their honourability - blah blah.
Same goes for the famous English gentlemanship. How can you brake the rules you have invented yourself?!?
What example does that give to younger generation - try and win no matter what, even you have to behave like a jerk?

Yesterday, Japan were punished for their last group game shenanigans. Not only that - Belgium were rewarded for their fair play against England.
For the sake of the football game - England should get what they deserve today as well - leave the tournament.
It would be so great for football if actually Belgium won the whole thing, it would really show that you just have to play for the win and not try to outsmart the system.

In my day to day life whenеver I spotted someone make some smartass jerky move I would often say something like - "see, English would never do that". Well, now I am not so sure.

Only because trickeries might give you some illusional advantage - you should not do that. I believe that if enough people give the good example - others will follow.
What's next? Phil Jones rolling all over the field and crying like a baby ala neymar if someone touches him? Was gonna give the example with your captain Harry Kane (which is disgrace he is the captain btw) but after him claiming Erkisen's goal, he might actually do a neymar and it wouldn't be much of a surprise really.

Anyways it seems like the shit behaviour takes over and even the nations that are famous for their integrity start misbehaving. This is just plain bad.
And once again - I really hope England goes out tonight so just you can question your attitude against Belgium.

Cheers :)

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
i think u should go back and read my post i maintained that with james i think colombia would win, the last 4 team winner going out most looked like they had lost the hunger they had in the previous world cup. so what is the goal comes in the 90th min to make it 2-0 ? is the game not 90 mins long, if france didnt let a goal in the 90mins they would have won by 2 goals as well, so your putting facts in to suit yourself, what has happened in all the other games have no effect on what will happen in this game. i dont think england are execptional no but i also dont think more then 2/3 colombia players would start for England and there main one looks like potentially missing it.
The facts are not in any way misleading - only 1 team has won by more than one goal in the knockout rounds of this World Cup, and England have only ever done so 3 times in World Cup history. It's quite a rare thing which generally only special teams experience. With or without James there is not much between the teams so it seems a bit much to expect that, IMO.

I think you could make an argument for Quintero, James, Cuadrado and Falcao being 4 of the best 5 attackers, Davinson Sanchez being the best defender, Carlos Sanchez being at least the 2nd best midfielder and a toss up between the two goalkeepers...so I'd split it 50-50 in terms of individual quality. England are in a better position mentally and physically, but Colombia are already battle-hardened from tight games against generally superior teams.

Interesting game for sure.

Djemba-Djemba

Colombia have scored 5 goals so far and 3 of those were from set pieces.

So it's not like it's only England doing most of their damage from corners or free kicks.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
This thread is becoming a bit toxic

Hated England trying to choose an 'easier path' But to be honest I was equally pissed off with Belgium for their selection.

Hope today is a great game. 3-3 AET with England winning on penalties and Lingard getting two.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Hated England trying to choose an 'easier path' But to be honest I was equally pissed off with Belgium for their selection.

Hope today is a great game. 3-3 AET with England winning on penalties and Lingard getting two.
Agreed - I'm really looking forward to the match and I'll be cheering England on. Should be a cracker.

MUFC OK

But the giddyness doesn't back you up, I just think you're not being honest with yourselves.
Its like when City looked like dropping points last season, it was a real possibility at times but you'd have posts like Otamendi 90m winner incoming.
You're really excited it could happen, you actually believe it can but nerves tell you you're wrong then he scores and it's all I told you, always knew it would happen.
It seems English fans are at the latter stage of that game ATM!
Are you confusing nerves with low expectations? Fans of countries with low expectations (us Irish are experts in it) don't plot their way to semi finals now.
There's not so much giddiness, just England fans finally having some pride and faith in the team for the first time in about 20 years. Does that mean any fan thinks we will win it? Well I don't.

The strongest emotions are those of resentment from Irish, Scottish and Welsh fans who are seething at the prospect of England going a long way in this tournament. Funnily, I guarantee the vast majority of England fans would actually cheer on your national teams in similar situation. In know how you feel, similar to how I felt about Liverpool potentially winning the CL, so I can sympathise all I can say is, your dislike must run deep.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
There's not so much giddiness, just England fans finally having some pride and faith in the team for the first time in about 20 years. Does that mean any fan thinks we will win it? Well I don't.

The strongest emotions are those of resentment from Irish, Scottish and Welsh fans who are seething at the prospect of England going a long way in this tournament. Funnily, I guarantee the vast majority of England fans would actually cheer on your national teams in similar situation. In know how you feel, similar to how I felt about Liverpool potentially winning the CL, so I can sympathise all I can say is, your dislike must run deep.
There's no resentment from Irish fans, we just find it hilarious to see the English fail - much like we thought it was hilarious to see Germany fail last week, or Spain a few days ago. You have to understand that in Ireland, we are heavily exposed to the English media, we get their papers and TV stations so we're aware of all the hype and build-up that goes on, so naturally it's funny to us when England inevitably cock it up.

Equally if they do do well I doubt you'll find many Irish people to be bothered, or certainly harboring any resentment, I imagine most will just be happy to see the players at the clubs they support do well. Irish people don't resent anything about England as a country anymore really, it's a bit of a myth that we do.

And you might be right about English people cheering on the Irish team but I'd say that's far more-so to do with the fact that we tend to be massive underdogs whenever we qualify for a tournie, and everyone loves an underdog.

Djemba-Djemba

I used to cheer on the other home nations but I don't anymore to be honest.

I thought it was hilarious how they all failed to qualify for this World Cup apart from us.

Nerves are kicking in big time now for tonight. Both excited and bricking it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Is Kane really just one goal shy of being England's second most successful WC striker? After like 1.5 matches? :eek:

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Is Kane really just one goal shy of being England's second most successful WC striker? After like 1.5 matches? :eek:
Not sure to be proud or shameful of his record. Shows how pathetic and poor England strikers have been over the years.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm pissed off, I was genuinely excited by this game but it kicks off at 8pm and I have a 2 hour flight taking off at 7.40pm. Worst timing possible.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not sure to be proud or shameful of his record. Shows how pathetic and poor England strikers have been over the years.
Both I guess. 5 goals in less than two full matches is impressive, no matter who or what nation.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not really, out of all England scorers only Beckham has been to three finals. Lineker, on 10 goals, was over two finals. It's not exactly a terrible return.
Rooney must have played more than two?!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I am super disappointed in what England and Japan did in their last group games.
Same goes for the famous English gentlemanship. How can you brake the rules you have invented yourself?!?
What example does that give to younger generation - try and win no matter what, even you have to behave like a jerk?

Yesterday, Japan were punished for their last group game shenanigans. Not only that - Belgium were rewarded for their fair play against England.
For the sake of the football game - England s am not so sure.

Only because trickeries might give you some illusional advantage - you should not do that. I believe that if enough people give the good example - others will follow.
What's next? Phil Jones rolling all over the field and crying like a baby ala neymar if someone touches him? Was gonna give the example with your captain Harry Kane (which is disgrace he is the captain btw) but after him claiming Erkisen's goal, he might actually do a neymar and it wouldn't be much of a surprise really.

Anyways it seems like the shit behaviour takes over and even the nations that are famous for their integrity start misbehaving. This is just plain bad.
And once again - I really hope England goes out tonight so just you can question your attitude against Belgium

For the sake of the football game - England should get what they deserve today as well - leave the tournament.
It would be so great for football if actually Belgium won the whole thing, it would really show that you just have to play for the win and not try to outsmart the system.

In my day to day life whenеver I spotted someone make some smartass jerky move I would often say something like - "see, English would never do that". Well, now I am not so sure.

And once again - I really hope England goes out tonight so just you can question your attitude against Belgium.

Either a spoof post or plain idiotic thinking.
Belgium did the same as us! Their second team was just better than us!

They in no way were rewarded for a noble approach and when they face Brazil we'll see how clever they then feel.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
One thing to worry about is that there's a good chance a United player will take a penalty if it goes to a shoot-out...

And we all know who will get blamed when we lose said shoot-out.

Drawfull

Rooney must have played more than two?!
Yeah I screwed up. I read it as appearances, when it is actually scored in. I don't have the numbers for goals per games played. Although I do know that at the moment Kane is top all time goals/games played.

3 cups for Rooney. One goal, I think.

Edit again. Actually, I don't know. Everywhere has different figures.

Murray3007

The facts are not in any way misleading - only 1 team has won by more than one goal in the knockout rounds of this World Cup, and England have only ever done so 3 times in World Cup history. It's quite a rare thing which generally only special teams experience. With or without James there is not much between the teams so it seems a bit much to expect that, IMO.

I think you could make an argument for Quintero, James, Cuadrado and Falcao being 4 of the best 5 attackers, Davinson Sanchez being the best defender, Carlos Sanchez being at least the 2nd best midfielder and a toss up between the two goalkeepers...so I'd split it 50-50 in terms of individual quality. England are in a better position mentally and physically, but Colombia are already battle-hardened from tight games against generally superior teams.

Interesting game for sure.
well you are because you said that only one and its only because they scored in the 90th min, but argentina done the same but you never mentioned that ? James is the only player who would defo start for England, Sanchez maybe for Mcguire at the back and even thats a big if, James brings the best out of the Colombia team and will be the best player on the park,

Classical Mechanic

Always does. Bitter oppo fans can't help but troll England threads.

Can't we just start another thread for (politely) 'England detractors' where they can discuss if a 6-1 win can really be a loss and if Ireland etc have the 'right' to discuss how future World Cup qualifying games might play out given their abysmal World Cup qualify records.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah I screwed up. I read it as appearances, when it is actually scored in. I don't have the numbers for goals per games played. Although I do know that at the moment Kane is top all time goals/games played.

3 cups for Rooney. One goal, I think.

Edit again. Actually, I don't know. Everywhere has different figures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_top_goalscorers

Wikipedia is usually reliable when it comes to raw football stats.
My perception was that there are tons of double digit WC scorers out there, but it turns out it's only little over a dozen.

cyril C

England have a good chance to progress to the Semis.

This world cup, no one looks stand out great.

If we do not become cautious again and play attacking football, who knows.
3 CB plus 2 DMF, and 2 aging wing backs, how attacking it can be?

Beside, forgotten to bring Crouch or Carroll, where is Plan B. Belgium have.

Classical Mechanic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_top_goalscorers

Wikipedia is usually reliable when it comes to raw football stats.
My perception was that there are tons of double digit WC scorers out there, but it turns out it's only little over a dozen.
We'll see more going forward I expect given the expansion of the tournament and the increase in lesser nations that will be in it.

Although there has broadly been a decrease in the amount of goals the top scorers have got since 1974, the variance since then has only been 3 goals or minimum of 5 and a maximum of 8. 8 goals has only been scored once in that period by Ronaldo.

MUFC OK

There's no resentment from Irish fans, we just find it hilarious to see the English fail - much like we thought it was hilarious to see Germany fail last week, or Spain a few days ago. You have to understand that in Ireland, we are heavily exposed to the English media, we get their papers and TV stations so we're aware of all the hype and build-up that goes on, so naturally it's funny to us when England inevitably cock it up.

Equally if they do do well I doubt you'll find many Irish people to be bothered, or certainly harboring any resentment, I imagine most will just be happy to see the players at the clubs they support do well. Irish people don't resent anything about England as a country anymore really, it's a bit of a myth that we do.

And you might be right about English people cheering on the Irish team but I'd say that's far more-so to do with the fact that we tend to be massive underdogs whenever we qualify for a tournie, and everyone loves an underdog.
Fair enough, I'm not one to tell people what they think. My assertion that if England were to progress to say the Semi-finals, it would go from being a funny to there being a meltdown of drastic proportions on the part of the aforementioned fanbases.

It's definitely true in football, less so rugby due to the competitive nature and the six nations. And I'm glad you don’t consider us massive underdogs in which case ;)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Seriously!? I just checked and this is the total list of players with 3+ goals:

Gary Lineker - 10 goals
Geoff Hurst - 5 goals
Harry Kane - 5 goals
Bobby Charlton - 4 goals
Michael Owen - 4 goals
David Beckham - 3 goals
Steven Gerrard - 3 goals
Roger Hunt - 3 goals
Nat Lofthouse - 3 goals
David Platt - 3 goals

Red Star One

The sun cover pages are one of main reasons I find it so hard to support England.
When I was 6 in ‘98 and Poland was not at WC they were my favorite time (because of United, of course), in 2002 - second favorite and supported you after we crashed out miserably. Ehh shouldn’t have discovered English press.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
3 CB plus 2 DMF, and 2 aging wing backs, how attacking it can be?

Beside, forgotten to bring Crouch or Carroll, where is Plan B. Belgium have.
There are other Plan B's beside just long ball hoofing up to a beanpole.

PS. Trippier is 27 and Rose turned 28 yesterday. That's hardly over-the-hill for wing-backs.

Dundrummer

I find this, along with Southgate's guff about it being the biggest game in a generation, deeply weird. Fair enough, the last couple of tournaments have been largely shambolic, but England, with a pretty young squad, played Italy in a quarter final just six years ago.

Schneckerl

If you know what I mean ...
(Courtesy YNFA Facebook Page)
I remember somthing similar for 2014

Real Madrid won the EC
Atletico Madrid won La Liga
England won the WC

Real Madrid won the EC
Atletico Madrid won La Liga

Classical Mechanic

I find this, along with Southgate's guff about it being the biggest game in a generation, deeply weird. Fair enough, the last couple of tournaments have been largely shambolic, but England, with a pretty young squad, played Italy in a quarter final just six years ago.
Topped the group in that tournament with France in it too. That was Hodgson's awful football though.

Jack-C20

Looking forward to the game but extremely cautious. The way everyone is talking about the ‘easy’ path to the final is setting us up for a fall. A bit like us last year in the champions league only to be beaten by Sevilla. Just hope the youngsters go out there and play with confidence. Our corners actually seem dangerous which is the first time in a long time I remember seeing anyone look dangerous at corners. Normally get blocked by the first man. Kane being in form is a big plus too. Obviously hoping for a Libgard hattrick though :devil:

onemanarmy

There are other Plan B's beside just long ball hoofing up to a beanpole.

PS. Trippier is 27 and Rose turned 28 yesterday. That's hardly over-the-hill for wing-backs.
Not that Belgium did that yesterday though. Fellaini scores from an excellent attack.