England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

chris123

Not really arsed if England get a easy draw or not. They're going out the first decent side they play, anyway. It's not like they can win the whole thing. The good news, if they got knocked out n the Rd of 16, is that Southgate might get the sack. Although, knowing the FA, probably not.
Yeah and if they actually prove people wrong and manage to win a game against Germany, it's more than likely Sweden and then Netherlands on the route to the final. I'll take that any day over a potential QF with the winners of Group F.

Otherwise, lose to Germany, and Southgate is gone.

reverb

Supports
Nigeria Super Eagles
Where can I watch on terrestrial tv in Atlanta? Can't find on YouTube. Grazie!

El Zoido

Not really arsed if England get a easy draw or not. They're going out the first decent side they play, anyway. It's not like they can win the whole thing. The good news, if they got knocked out n the Rd of 16, is that Southgate might get the sack. Although, knowing the FA, probably not.
The FA said pre-tournament that his job is safe, even if he lost all three group games.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I rather England find their momentum in the knockout stages then go full throttle in the group stages. Teams that start strongly often disappoint later.

Longshanks

Don't get this idea of finishing second for an easier draw? France/germany/Portugal at Wembley infront of 45000. Or spain/sweeden in Copenhagen?

Home game all the way for me, I think we need the big game the big challenge to get us going, also I kind of fancy us against the better opposition more chances to counter, more space for our forwards to work in.

The comparisons with United are probably quite fair more comfortable sitting back and working on the break don't have the required technical and creative ability in deep midfield to really control games but do have the legs and pace to be deadly on the counter.

IncyWincySpider

Sweden would be a nightmare for us I think, especially if they played the way they did against Spain. I'd rather we played Germany or Portugal.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
England played very well in those two group games. England have good xg difference too. It looks like many just disappointed for their favourite players didn't get game time than England as a whole played well in those two opening fixtures.

Mount this foden that kane useless sterling not worth to wear England shirt. But England on course to move to next round without any sweat.

What will be the reaction if grealish and Sancho started and lost the game. They both are not warranted a start over mount or foden. Southgate will take responsibility one way or other. Enjoy the ride I will say.

romufc

England played very well in those two group games. England have good xg difference too. It looks like many just disappointed for their favourite players didn't get game time than England as a whole played well in those two opening fixtures.

Mount this foden that kane useless sterling not worth to wear England shirt. But England on course to move to next round without any sweat.

What will be the reaction if grealish and Sancho started and lost the game. They both are not warranted a start over mount or foden. Southgate will take responsibility one way or other. Enjoy the ride I will say.
First of all, Scotland had the better chances and dominated the midfield for quite alot of the game.

England couldn't put together moves, relied on set pieces so I am not sure where the notion that they played well is coming from.

What are you basing Mount and Foden warranting a start over Sancho, Grealish and Rashford?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He sounds absolutely clueless here.

What he said could literally be applied to Foden and Mount too, and it wouldn't make any sense about them either. This sort of rhetoric would be fine if Sancho was a bit like Walcott at 17 when he was named in the 2006 World Cup squad despite barely having any professional football experience.

SuperiorXI

No we didn't, we were awful v.s. Scotland and not convincing against a weak Croatia. The fears by the fans are justified. Southgate isn't convincing me and it looks a certainty that we'll get slapped up by the first decent side we face. Would love to be proven wrong.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
No we didn't, we were awful v.s. Scotland and not convincing against a weak Croatia. The fears by the fans are justified. Southgate isn't convincing me and it looks a certainty that we'll get slapped up by the first decent side we face. Would love to be proven wrong.
I didn't say England look like world beaters. Southgate had his concerns. Without Maguire he felt defence not strong. So he played his full backs conservatively. England not played back to the wall game.

They tried to overcome an opponent who eliminated them in world cup and Scotland who want to give their all to get the draw. He did pick the team and got the result he wanted. Top of the group and whatelse you want him to do.Go all out attack and exposed to counter and got eliminated from group game.

Only two teams structurally maintained their shape and one of them is England and other is Italy.Both give up very little chances against. Let's enjoy the game. England have players to win matches on their own like any big team. Maintain the structure create chances to win and avoid opponents to score. England did all so no problem for me in my opinion.

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

Sancho has one of the best goal contributions per minute record having played in both CL and Bundesliga over three or four years in Germany. Southgate is talking shite, because oh he needs protecting from massive games versus Scotland in a competition that's arguably less competitive and less pressured than the Champions League itself.

I'm calling bull.

DFreshKing

Sancho has one of the best goal contributions per minute record having played in both CL and Bundesliga over three or four years in Germany. Southgate is talking shite, because oh he needs protecting from massive games versus Scotland in a competition that's arguably less competitive and less pressured than the Champions League itself.

I'm calling bull.
Agreed. Southgate is using non football reason not to play him in football. He doesn't have the guts to say he picks the players he wants so would rather hide behind age or experience which will actually have a negative effect on the player if he is called up. If he's not ready or experienced enough to play he should not be in the squad. there is no room for tourists although its obviously a nonsense excuse.

A safe manager in the mould of Hodgson - FA man.

Raredaredevil

What can England do to get an easier draw in the next round? Finish first or second and they still have to face one of France/Germany/Portugal which I don't see England getting past. Germany and Portugal are hardened tournament teams and France is the best team in this tournament. Only way is to finish 3rd but it's not possible.

Edit: Just looked up the draw and realized that if England finish second, England faces the runner-up of Group D which will most likely be Sweden or Poland. Be funny if Sweden beat Poland and Spain finish second. :lol:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If Mount isn’t available then Sancho has to start tomorrow. Drop Sterling too and go with Grealish, Foden & Sancho behind Kane.

Wolverine

Surely the entire Scotland team have to isolate then
Agreed unless I'm missing something PHE guideance is isolation if within 2 metres close contact for more than 15 minutes during infective phase

Robindinho

If Mount isn’t available then Sancho has to start tomorrow. Drop Sterling too and go with Grealish, Foden & Sancho behind Kane.
Bellingham too hopefully for one of Rice/Phillips (on performance so far, Rice. Phillips plays the sitting role anyway for Leeds)...

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Phillips
Bellingham Foden
Sancho Kane Grealish​

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
We qualify tonight if Belgium beat Finland.

croadyman

Could see a situation where Gareth is forced to change the shape with no Mount and it works well tomorrow but then come the second round he will bring him back and all the complaints from the Scotland game come up once again

Djemba-Djemba

Not been impressed with Foden at all to be honest.

Kanes been awful of course and bar the goal Sterling's been terrible too.

But yeah, I expected much more from Foden. He's been extremely lightweight.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
England to play portugal, get destroyed by Bruno who then becomes public enemy #1 in england next season. He then goes on to have a Beckham/CR7 like season. It is known.