England fans, what is wrong with England fans?

Ludens the Red

Honestly mate, he doesn’t really care and not do I. I jumped the fences at Glastonbury when I was 19. I’ve done the same at other festivals when I couldnt get tickets up until I was maybe 23.

It’s certainly not right. I understand end to end the morality of it. It’s garbage behaviour

But it’s also the nature of people. I’m not really remorseful of getting into Glasto all those years ago. I know I shouldn’t have done it, I wouldn’t do it now, but that’s what growth is.

I’ll criticise the shocking scenes of violence and thuggery. But a 15 year old kid getting into Wembley for the Euros final? It’s minor.

We don’t need to criticise him doing that. But it serves as perfect illustration of just how easy it was.
Tbf, thirty odd years ago I’d imagine security was a lot more lax at festivals.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
You do wonder if there are a few bosses who saw the footage and pictures and were getting the P45's ready.
We’re not quarreling, but I don’t think you’re across this. These people were probably there with their bosses, swapping bags of gear.

I’m sure there are some that may lose a job. But as a sweeping generalisation, this behaviour will have no impact on the perpetrators.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Honestly mate, he doesn’t really care and not do I. I jumped the fences at Glastonbury when I was 19. I’ve done the same at other festivals when I couldnt get tickets up until I was maybe 23.

It’s certainly not right. I understand end to end the morality of it. It’s garbage behaviour

But it’s also the nature of people. I’m not really remorseful of getting into Glasto all those years ago. I know I shouldn’t have done it, I wouldn’t do it now, but that’s what growth is.

I’ll criticise the shocking scenes of violence and thuggery. But a 15 year old kid getting into Wembley for the Euros final? It’s minor.

We don’t need to criticise him doing that. But it serves as perfect illustration of just how easy it was.
My uncle and his friend got into Glastonbury by walking backwards into the exit one year back in the day :lol:

RedorDead21

Idiots exist in every country. Why is there a minority of thugs in (insert your country here @SER19 )? It's a ridiculous oversimplification to generalise an entire country, or else we'd say all Russians are racist, all Portuguese are corrupt etc etc. Do you judge Italy by its Ultra's.
The biggest issue is England always saying it’s a minority, but it’s constant and it’s in the low thousands, their travelling fans especially. Any other home nation fans don’t even come close. As for Europe. Every single place that has had an England game, the locals will tell you the same story. You know the same one everyone has seen repeated for decades across news channels…saying the Scots, french, Irish, Swedish are all like this is complete bollocks. It’s a completely different level with our chav element which sure as sh*t ain’t a tiny minority.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The steward I work with said after the game, there were fights between rival English club fans, Millwall, West Ham, Spurs and oddly to me, Portsmouth.

big rons sovereign

Because sadly over half our country voted for Brexit and want to bring the 80s back so we've got a few more tommy Robinsons then we'd like to admit.
No they didn't. The small majority of those who voted, voted for that shite. Turnout was pretty poor. But the point remains.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Racist abuse has put me off as a match-goer. Sworn at once outside the ground by a couple of initimidating fellas, was enough for the wife to say never again. Had my 2 year old toddler with me.
I'll go to a saturday afternoon family-friendly-time kick off very occasionally but mostly stick to cricket for anything live.

We do have a problem, the drunks in A&E I've seen always save their worst for BAME staff and it's insane how many things we've had to use as spit shields over our patients.
It’s takes a special kind to intimidate a family with a young kid there, and to go to A&E and racially abuse the staff isn’t just disgusting, it’s moronic. Why the feck would they find that acceptable, it’s already an incredibly hard job without that shit.

Ive been to a few of the cricket games and loved the crowd, haven’t been in a while but last time was watching them play Australia and the crowd were hilarious,
It was fairly mixed too plenty of Aussies in the same section and a lot of friendly banter and stick. I took my elderly nan as she adores the English team and we had a great time. The English and the Australians were hilarious and good fun.

UDontMessWith24

So. Fcuking. What.

WE are at the forefront. WE are garbage. WE are the vile on the screens around the globe.

You don’t whatabout Racism. Ever.
I thought hooliganism was as the subject, in which case the varying degrees of severity cannot be ignored, in which case racism is actually a factor in what makes the difference in severity so stark.

Stacks

England football fans are the worst.
Between Ultras, russian, turkish, etc vs England fans. As a neutral they'd the be the last bunch of fans I want to cross my path with.

WIth others you can safely assume they will leave you alone if you're neutral. With England? hell they'd fight a lamp post if they can.
Yes they are awful. Really embarrassing some of their behaviour.

People making excuses for them are just morons.
They are not the worst. Its old opinions from the past. The Eastern Europeans have overtaken and possibly the Italians. Serbians, Polish and Russian are the leaders of this shit now and they arrange meet ups in the forest to fight like cavemen. did you forget Russians trained to beat people up in the Euros and were defender by politicians?

Some French are pretty bad including Lyon. Italians went to Liverpool for a game recently and hospitalised an Irish Liverpool fan hitting him with belts.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...acing-charges-attack-Liverpool-supporter.html

In Rome they stab you in the arse. https://news.sky.com/story/spurs-fan-stabbed-in-rome-two-men-jailed-10430016

Italian fans regulalrly make monkey chants at black players as opposed to hiding behind computer screens. They also endorse far right stunts (Di Canio) and get defender by their presidents

Stacks

After seeing all the horrendous footage from yesterday, and already knowing of that small but vocal element from the past with the hardcore national support, I would not feel safe going to a tournament in England. Which is a massive shame because domestically it has never been a problem.
Same, which is a massive shame.

I took my kid to the champions league final in cardiff, he was decked in Madrid gear And we walked through juve fans with them patting him on the back and smiling.
like feck would I take him anywhere near Wembley in the wrong colours if England were playing after seeing this week.
Euro 1996 was fine and the Olympics 2012 a roaring success. you are safe brother

TheReligion

Abusive

Good Twitter thread from a LOI fan who was at the game yesterday.

This tweet nails it. There is definitely something uniquely aggro about a cohort of middle-aged England fans that you just don’t see from other countries.

Yer man is from Sligo. Probably a pal of @moses
Does it though?

Some random Irish bloke decides that no other country is like this and suddenly that's gospel and unique?

Seems a bit daft and very naive but any such blanket statement is.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
After seeing all the horrendous footage from yesterday, and already knowing of that small but vocal element from the past with the hardcore national support, I would not feel safe going to a tournament in England. Which is a massive shame because domestically it has never been a problem.
Domestically it’s fringe Cnuty elements of many clubs two at a time.

England international matches in any meaningful moment is like Voltron. All the foulest factions unite into an Uber Cnut.

Vanrouge

The type of person that is willing to uproot their life and emigrate is usually not the type of person that would be involved in this shit, the furthest these people ever go is Spain for a week.
Honestly, I thought of this too, but I didn't want to come across as self-righteous or something. I mean, what you're saying is that immigrants and refugees tend to be harder-working and more law-abiding than natural-born citizens, and there's plenty of evidence to suggest that's true.

But what puzzles me is that people who leave their own countries aren't generally elites. There are a handful of those, of course, but many migrants are ordinary people fleeing something, desperate for a better life, which puts a dent in the theory that class is behind this. In other words, most of us are working- or lower middle-class, so socioeconomic status can't really be much of a factor in the poor behaviour of England fans. As I mentioned, watching football all across Metro Vancouver, and hell, coaching it too, I heard accents from all over, including the many recognizable dialects and vernaculars that make up the English language. Down to earth people and accents and humble backgrounds, including mine.

cyberman

The non thuggish England fans need to stop hiding behind reasoning such as not being a real fan etc or this will never get addressed.
At this stage it does represent the England national team fanbase and there's no hiding from that

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Does it though?

Some random Irish bloke decides that no other country is like this and suddenly that's gospel and unique?

Seems a bit daft and very naive but any such blanket statement is.
He was dead right about the way ye walk though. Few English lads over here a fortnight ago, acting all high and mighty, big man walk and all going on. Meself and Lads cornered them up though and hammered the absolute living shite out of them with our hurls.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Euro 1996 was fine and the Olympics 2012 a roaring success. you are safe brother
I’d love you to be right but I can’t help but doubt it. May be nostalgia because it’s one of my favourite tournaments from memory but euro 96 seems all around a happier time and atmosphere. Can’t quite compare it to the olympics.

if The World Cup was in England next year there’s no way I’d be decking my kid in our country colours and would be wary doing it myself if I had family with me. It would just be a pointless risk.

TheReligion

Abusive
He was dead right about the way ye walk though. Few English lads over here a fortnight ago, acting all high and mighty, big man walk and all going on. Meself and Lads cornered them up though and hammered the absolute living shite out of them with our hurls.
TBP! Nice to see you posting my man.

Where have you been

Infra-red

The non thuggish England fans need to stop hiding behind reasoning such as not being a real fan etc or this will never get addressed.
At this stage it does represent the England national team fanbase and there's no hiding from that
Singling the minority of thugs out and publicly proclaiming that they aren't representative of the England team/England fans, is how normal fans address this.

What the people of Manchester have done to show their solidarity with Rashford in the face of vile racist abuse, is commendable.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I wouldn’t be worried about other events, I’ve gone to watch the cricket in England a few times and loved it (not so much the cricket but the atmosphere). I’m sure a football tournament in England would be ok, but if Wales were to play England in a meaningful game, I’d probably be a little worried about going, certainly wouldn’t take my nan like I do to the cricket or my niece to club football.

I don’t want to label English fans in general, just that little minority who want to fight and spoil it. The English fans are genuinely brilliant when it comes to club football, at least in my experience. They need to get more creative with their sheep shagger chants though :lol:

Domestically it’s fringe Cnuty elements of many clubs two at a time.

England international matches in any meaningful moment is like Voltron. All the foulest factions unite into an Uber Cnut.
Yeah I agree about the domestic scene, when Swansea got promoted I did an away season and loved it, the usual banter and a bit of fronting but never really felt in danger, even going up with a bus full of drunk lads, at least no more than a usual night out.

I think your meaningful game comment is a salient one that I didn’t really think of, that’s a good point and would probably be the main thing.

Cantonaaa!

Came across this just now and thought I’d share. Some interesting points and discussions, at least for me as a non-English, who don’t have intimate knowledge of the England fan base and history.

Stacks

I’d love you to be right but I can’t help but doubt it. May be nostalgia because it’s one of my favourite tournaments from memory but euro 96 seems all around a happier time and atmosphere. Can’t quite compare it to the olympics.

if The World Cup was in England next year there’s no way I’d be decking my kid in our country colours and would be wary doing it myself if I had family with me. It would just be a pointless risk.
I don't want to tempt fate in case you came and got hurt but I honestly feel you would be ok. There are plenty of games in England that go on without any issue. Obviously if England lose then you are toast. All jokes aside if the Russians were able to chill for their WC I am sure we would have harsher punishments and extra police horses and dogs to deal with the filth. When it comes to World Cups the reputation is at stake. Brazil and SA managed to keep everyone safe and England has better resources.

cyberman

Singling the minority of thugs out and publicly proclaiming that they aren't representative of the England team/England fans, is how normal fans address this.

What the people of Manchester have done to show their solidarity with Rashford in the face of vile racist abuse, is commendable.
Its how normal fans like to dress it up but it doesn't mean its true. It undermines the problem and plays it down to a dangerous extent.
Nobody says all England fans are like that but its the go to answer.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I don't want to tempt fate in case you came and got hurt but I honestly feel you would be ok. There are plenty of games in England that go on without any issue. Obviously if England lose then you are toast. All jokes aside if the Russians were able to chill for their WC I am sure we would have harsher punishments and extra police horses and dogs to deal with the filth. When it comes to World Cups the reputation is at stake. Brazil and SA managed to keep everyone safe and England has better resources.
I know you’re probably right, and don’t think I’m just going to get attacked out of the blue, it would more be like if we were playing directly against England in high stakes game as mentioned above just to be wary of it. I don’t mean to be making a drama out of it. As I’ve said maybe in this thread or another, I’ve been to hundreds of games in England and Wales with no trouble, and Wembley. Just never international tournament there.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Despite the see you next Tuesday's parading their brilliance for England at the weekend, I think football is getting better.

Give it 15 years and they may start having mixed sections like in rugby and cricket

Two steps forward, one back

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
They are not the worst. Its old opinions from the past. The Eastern Europeans have overtaken and possibly the Italians. Serbians, Polish and Russian are the leaders of this shit now and they arrange meet ups in the forest to fight like cavemen. did you forget Russians trained to beat people up in the Euros and were defender by politicians?

Some French are pretty bad including Lyon. Italians went to Liverpool for a game recently and hospitalised an Irish Liverpool fan hitting him with belts.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...acing-charges-attack-Liverpool-supporter.html

In Rome they stab you in the arse. https://news.sky.com/story/spurs-fan-stabbed-in-rome-two-men-jailed-10430016

Italian fans regulalrly make monkey chants at black players as opposed to hiding behind computer screens. They also endorse far right stunts (Di Canio) and get defender by their presidents
The spurs fans isnt a neutral. At least they dont attack people in cafe and elderly like the mighty english

If that's 2 russian supporter in london you tell me they'd get of scratch free?

Again no supporters is flawless, but england have again and again without fail in every football tournament display their thuggery, stupidity, and brutality.

Last edited: