England in India 2021

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Translate?

Harsha was joking that we are being told that when Pant is behind the stumps we should shut up and let people hear him talk. Rishabh replied that I am not sure if it's a compliment to him or that Harsha needs to his improve his commentary

JohnnyKills

Harsha was joking that we are being told that when Pant is behind the stumps we should shut up and let people hear him talk. Rishabh replied that I am not sure if it's a compliment to him or that Harsha needs to his improve his commentary
Why was it in Hindi? I guess Pant's English is excellent right?

JohnnyKills

Might be a smart move for Pant to get a short-term county deal after the IPL so he can prepare for the England series. Would be great to have him at Lancs!

gajender

Shami seems like a good swing bowler.
Shami is pretty good ,Bumrah has all the attributes to be pretty effective anywhere ,Siraj has shown lot of promise in his short career Old horse Ishant Sharma has been great for past year or so . I think it would be another cracking series .

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Might be a smart move for Pant to get a short-term county deal after the IPL so he can prepare for the England series. Would be great to have him at Lancs!
I'm still waiting for Kohli to make an appearance in county cricket as well. Hopefully they think about playing a couple of games as it would be great too see these calibre of players

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Just don't understand what Bairstow was thinking, Really we need to move on from him now he's been given his chances . Think maybe we should stick with Sibley as I do think he will bounce back from this. I think this Indian team is better then the team we played in 2018. Looking forward to the T20's and ODI's.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Just don't understand what Bairstow was thinking, Really we need to move on from him now he's been given his chances . Think maybe we should stick with Sibley as I do think he will bounce back from this. I think this Indian team is better then the team we played in 2018. Looking forward to the T20's and ODI's.

It's a bit bonkers that he has played 74 test matches for England

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
People have high expectations from the T20 series but I am not so sure what to expect. A lot of the players playing would be a bit undercooked specially with the white ball . On paper it looks like two really good teams but I think it might be a bit scratchy

Skills

Snitch
Shami seems like a good swing bowler.
He didn't have a good series in England last time. Averaged 38 over 5 matches in 2018.

I think Bhuvneshwar Kumar has to play in England - he was really good the last time he played there. I would go for :

7. Hardik Pandya/Jadeja/Sundar
8. Ashwin
9. Bhuvneshwar Kumar
10. Ishant Sharma
11. Bumrah

Depending on how much Pandya can bowl. I don't think having a 2nd spinner is a bad option - India managed it in Australia this summer. Someone who can keep it tight and help tie up an end has a lot of value all surfaces.

TheGame

He didn't have a good series in England last time. Averaged 38 over 5 matches in 2018.

I think Bhuvneshwar Kumar has to play in England - he was really good the last time he played there. I would go for :

8. Ashwin
9. Bhuvneshwar Kumar
10. Ishant Sharma
11. Bumrah

Depending on how much Pandya can bowl. I don't think having a 2nd spinner is a bad option - India managed it in Australia this summer. Someone who can keep it tight and help tie up an end has a lot of value all surfaces.
Ah yes forgot about Kumar, he can swing it quite well.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

8. Ashwin
9. Bhuvneshwar Kumar
10. Ishant Sharma
11. Bumrah

Don't think Kumar will be in contention of test squad any time soon.

It'll be Siraj/Shami, Ishant and Bumrah. Deepak Chahar is pretty much a Bhuvi clone so he'll be in the squad too.

KM

Can't wait for t20s. England are the best t20 side I think so will be a cracking contest. I don't particularly like our t20 side, not enough risks and they play like it like a mini ODI.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
This India side could become as dominant as the Aussie side from the 90s/00s which is kind of remarkable to say, and should dominate the next few years.

I personally think they could do with another opener and play Gill at 5 but that's a personal preference. There is an absolute quality player there but I prefer if he was coming in the middle order to play his shots.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
This India side could become as dominant as the Aussie side from the 90s/00s which is kind of remarkable to say, and should dominate the next few years.

I personally think they could do with another opener and play Gill at 5 but that's a personal preference. There is an absolute quality player there but I prefer if he was coming in the middle order to play his shots.
They have nowhere near the batting required to be dominant.

FlawlessThaw

They have nowhere near the batting required to be dominant.
I don't know, they just won two series without their best player turning up at all and they have two extraordinarily talented batsman at the start of their career. They won't be as dominant as Australia were but I still feel it is harder to win in Aus than it is in England for touring sides. If they win the WTC and beat England and Australia in their own turf, not much else you can do.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

Nah we won't. At least there is nothing to suggest that we will be anywhere close to that Oz side the Windies from 70s and 80s. Lets see how the performance is in England and SA. I personally am more hopeful for a series win in SA when we tour them later this year.

mav_9me

Wow woke up and the match is already over. Didn't see a ball today so can't comment on England's batting but from some readings of ex players, seems another poor batting performance. They have to improve as this doesn't look on them. Play spin better and find quality spinners.

As for India, axar, sundar, pant were just brilliant. Axar has been a brilliant addition to the test setup, especially at home. Imagine a trio of jadeja/ash/axar when facing india in india. Can't see any team winning a test series in India.

India/NZ WTC would be fun. My worry is NZ would have already played 2 test matches by then so would be more adjusted while our players would be coming from IPL. Can BCCI pull some tricks and schedule a warm up match before the WTC. Anyways looking forward to it.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Woah there!

I really like this India team but they are lightyears from that.

I_live_cement

Cat freak

With that batting lineup it could be a 3-1 loss in England and everyone will be asking where it went all wrong...

Gill will be a great batsman though.

SinNombre

They are definitely in with a shout for the greatest side in Asian conditions. 13 series wins in a row at home which is a record and just 2 test defeats in almost 10 years.

FlawlessThaw

With that batting lineup it could be a 3-1 loss in England and everyone will be asking where it went all wrong...

Gill will be a great batsman though.
If they lose 3-1 in England then they're not a great side. I'm talking if they win though, which they have a very strong chance of doing given their batting is better than England's overall. They could conceivably win Australia, England and South Africa whilst thumping England at home and winning the WTC all in a calendar year of sorts. That's pretty great achievement and very a dominant year.

iKnowNothing

I don’t know why everyone is so in awe of Gill. There’s no real quality opener coming through, which is why India are sticking with Gill, Mayank, Shaw and others. All three are going to have a tough time in English conditions.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
An absolute schooling for England in the end. It is what I expected coming into the series but after the first test it is a bit disappointing. I know the rotation policy is getting criticism from the usual quarters but I think England are doing the right thing in a very intense year. I also do not think it is fair to judge the rotation policy off of results, either you make mental health a priority or you do not. You can pick at the planning and prioritisation behind the policy but I cannot disagree with England's apparent view that they have a better chance at winning the T20 World Cup and Ashes than they do winning a test series in India.

I have to say though, England choosing 3 seamers for the third test with Ben Stokes in the team (who swings it as much as anyone) and then choosing 1 seamer for the fourth test because Ben Stokes was in the team was weird. In the end I think it was quite revealing that they asked Moeen to stay on after the second test and then managed to groupthink into 3 seamers for the third, they had no confidence in Bess and I don't think Bess had any confidence in himself either.

On the topic of winning in India I am finding it hard to see who exactly is going to win a series in India. They have excellent strength in depth and England's 2012 victory looks like it will not be emulated for quite some time. It will be pretty hard for England to develop batsmen who can play spin properly and top quality spin bowlers with the way the current county season is organised. I do hope though that this series does inspire a bit of a mindset change, a world class spinner helps England everywhere not just in India.

In terms of England's performance there's not much to say from a batting perspective, Dan Lawrence deserves a run in the side going forward. Bowling wise this winter has firmly established Leach as England's top spinner. A word for Jimmy as well, inspirational stuff and as long as he's fit he has to start the first Ashes test. Really looking forward to the reverse series in the summer, conditions will suit both teams and I fancy India to win.

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Anyone know if the limited overs matches are on C4 as well?
The C4 thing was just a one off, due to some squabbling. Disney, who for reasons own the rights, were about ready to sell it to no one in protest of Sky's offer and then C4 made an offer marginally above nothing. I don't think Channel Four has any ambitions for sports coverage.

TheGame

The C4 thing was just a one off, due to some squabbling. Disney, who for reasons own the rights, were about ready to sell it to no one in protest of Sky's offer and then C4 made an offer marginally above nothing. I don't think Channel Four has any ambitions for sports coverage.
Thanks, yeah thought it was a one off. Still good to manage to watch some when at home. Gave up Sky Sports a while back so will catch highlights somewhere.

KM

It's hilarious and sad that Archer is the only one who has to reaffirm his test commitment.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Surely nailed on to be a tight series this. Great line ups on paper.

Good start by England.