England in India 2021

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Genuine question. What is our approach and what should we do different? Have been out of cricket till recent aus series. Thanks
We play t20 like a small ODI that is instead of exploding in the first six overs, we've this approach of saving wickets and then exploding till the end.

Kohli mentioned that we are looking to change it.

Skills

Snitch
We play t20 like a small ODI that is instead of exploding in the first six overs, we've this approach of saving wickets and then exploding till the end.

Kohli mentioned that we are looking to change it.
The thing is, England have shown that approach is way outdated for ODIs too. It's especially worse in ODI cricket because the last 10 overs are the hardest to score in because that's when the fielding team are allowed most players outside of the 30 yard circle.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I think there's too much of an obsession with this England way now . India have done pretty well playing their own way and there is no guarantee that the English style would work . I love the way England play as it's really exciting to watch but in terms of results India can succeed playing their own way based on who they are picking. The worst possible thing to do is to pick players who like to anchor and then asking them to be attacking from the start

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The thing is, England have shown that approach is way outdated for ODIs too. It's especially worse in ODI cricket because the last 10 overs are the hardest to score in because that's when the fielding team are allowed most players outside of the 30 yard circle.
Totally but still it's understandable in ODIs.

We've just won one T20 world cup(and that was the first one) inspite of having the best t20 league in the world by a margin.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I am surprised by the decision to not have Varun Chakravarty in the squad because he couldn't pass the fitness standards . Obviously fitness is important but it would have been a nice chance for India to look at him at the international level and see how his bowling holds up

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think there's too much of an obsession with this England way now . India have done pretty well playing their own way and there is no guarantee that the English style would work . I love the way England play as it's really exciting to watch but in terms of results India can succeed playing their own way based on who they are picking. The worst possible thing to do is to pick players who like to anchor and then asking them to be attacking from the start
Agree with this, I also think you can't take much judgement from yesterday's match either. Everything went right for England, they will be lucky to play that well in a T20 before and during the World Cup. Sometimes you just have to hold your hand up and say the opposite was too good on the day.

mav_9me

I guess it's fun to see all the hitting but doesn't it feel like there is nothing to do for the bowlers? I mean I guess there is some skill but essentially either the batsmen mishit and get out or they hit a six or four.

I guess I sound old but I've loved the tests so much more than T20

arnie_ni

Is this English side the best odi/t20 side in history when accounting for time?

They've been at the top or there abouts for seemingly years.

Maybe covid is throwing my perspective of.

Skills

Snitch

Eh? What is that time period?

And how does that compare to australia winning 3 world cups in a row?

FlawlessThaw

I guess it's fun to see all the hitting but doesn't it feel like there is nothing to do for the bowlers? I mean I guess there is some skill but essentially either the batsmen mishit and get out or they hit a six or four.

I guess I sound old but I've loved the tests so much more than T20
If anything, bowlers have gained importance as T20 has grown. Look at the big ticket players for the IPL, most of them are bowlers, they are so much more important than batters in the game.

NM

:lol: :lol: No. The 70s/80s WI team and the 2000sAus team were dominat for 3-4 times as long.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
If anything, bowlers have gained importance as T20 has grown. Look at the big ticket players for the IPL, most of them are bowlers, they are so much more important than batters in the game.
Exactly but what it has done is & this is true for Odi's as well is taken out part time bowlers . It's very hard now to bowl at this level if you have no real skill with the ball

arnie_ni

Eh? What is that time period?

And how does that compare to australia winning 3 world cups in a row?
Maybe I should have said one of.

The last 4 or 5 years over both formats I was going for.

It wasn't ah oh they are best type of question, it was a genuine, are they one of the best? A conversation starter if you will.

They are the best in my memory, granted I haven't been an avid follower of anyone but England tbh.

I didn't realise aus won three in a row, they'd be the best then in your opinion?

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Maybe I should have said one of.

The last 4 or 5 years over both formats I was going for.

It wasn't ah oh they are best type of question, it was a genuine, are they one of the best?

I didn't realise aus won three in a row, they'd be the best then in your opinion?
England since the end of the 2015 World Cup have won 69 games and lost 30 (2.30 W/L ratio). India have won 70 and lost 36 (1.9 W/L ratio) - which is pretty much consistent with their record since 2007 (1.83).

For reference Australia between 1999 and 2007 won 192 games and lost 57 (3.37 W/L ratio). The second best team of that era (SA) had a W/L ratio of 1.87 which is a lot further apart than the gap between India and England. West Indies between 1975 and 1986 won 97 games and lost 26 (3.7 W/L ratio). The second best team of that era had a WL of 1.07. It's a toss up between the WI and Australia for the best- West Indies played less but had an even more dominant and longer peak, while Australia picked up 3 World Cups in a row in their period of dominance. England can throw their hat in the race for number 3 along with some strong competition from India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka

With regards to T20s - Englands record is a bit disappointing. Both India and Pakistan have much better records than England in the same time frame - but England have a big opportunity now to correct that by winning the T20 WC with a dominant display. On paper England should be the best T20 team around but they haven't delivered quite yet.

arnie_ni

England since the end of the 2015 World Cup have won 69 games and lost 30 (2.30 W/L ratio). India have won 70 and lost 36 (1.9 W/L ratio) - which is pretty much consistent with their record since 2007 (1.83).

For reference Australia between 1999 and 2007 won 192 games and lost 57 (3.37 W/L ratio). The second best team of that era (SA) had a W/L ratio of 1.87 which is a lot further apart than the gap between India and England. West Indies between 1975 and 1986 won 97 games and lost 26 (3.7 W/L ratio). The second best team of that era had a WL of 1.07. It's a toss up between the WI and Australia for the best- West Indies played less but had an even more dominant and longer peak, while Australia picked up 3 World Cups in a row in their period of dominance. England can throw their hat in the race for number 3 along with some strong competition from India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka

With regards to T20s - Englands record is a bit disappointing. Both India and Pakistan have much better records than England in the same time frame - but England have a big opportunity now to correct that by winning the T20 WC with a dominant display. On paper England should be the best T20 team around but they haven't delivered quite yet.
That win loss ratio is a lot lower than I thought it'd be when you've it laid out like that.

They just seem to roll teams over all the time.

My timing is totally gone, I'm blaming lockeown and covid.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

I think they still have an alright long way to go to match the Windies and the Aus teams, as mentioned above arnie. Basically....nowhere near atm.
Yea I've came to see that. I'm only born in the 1990 abs don't follow it religiously as I would footy so not remembering/knowing of aus in the mid 2000s is an easy mistake.

They've just seemed dominate recently. Admittingly moreso than a 2.3 win ratio

AshRK

This england side is no different to India's ODi team from 2010 to 2014. In fact I will argue that Indian side was better. Australian and WI peak ODI side are different level and will be hard to match for any team.

arnie_ni

This england side is no different to India's ODi team from 2010 to 2014. In fact I will argue that Indian side was better. Australian and WI peak ODI side are different level and will be hard to match for any team.
I was just about to ask was that around the time that ganguly took his shirt of running around lords after India beat England when both teams scored over 300 then decided to Google it.

That was 17 years ago. Flip me my timeline is completely up the left. I was 13 when that happened. Feels like maybe 10 years ago at most

AshRK

I was just about to ask was that around the time that ganguly took his shirt of running around lords after India beat England when both teams scored over 300 then decided to Google it.

That was 17 years ago. Flip me my timeline is completely up the left. I was 13 when that happened. Feels like maybe 10 years ago at most
No that was a different era, the one that lost wc finals to Australia in 2003 wc. I am talking about dhoni era which won the 2011 wc and 2013 champions trophy and many more series.

arnie_ni

No that was a different era, the one that lost wc finals to Australia in 2003 wc. I am talking about dhoni era which won the 2011 wc and 2013 champions trophy and many more series.
Yes I gathered that when I googled. My overall point was my timelines being completely messed up.

Whats the best test side you've witnessed?

AshRK

Yes I gathered that when I googled. My overall point was my timelines being completely messed up.

Whats the best test side you've witnessed?
Didn't see windies peak in action so for me would be the Australian side under both waugh and Ponting.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yea I've came to see that. I'm only born in the 1990 abs don't follow it religiously as I would footy so not remembering/knowing of aus in the mid 2000s is an easy mistake.

They've just seemed dominate recently. Admittingly moreso than a 2.3 win ratio
Fair enough and admittedly T20’s were never really a thing back then, so being ranked in and around top in both formats can also make them seem utterly (more) dominant from an aesthetic perspective. I missed the dominant Windies side as they were before my team. But my dad and older brother(s) used to wax lyrical about them. I was big into cricket with that dominant Australian side though - & they were damn good.

JohnnyKills

You mean the best white-ball squad across both formats?

Not sure. T20 has only been around for 15 years so sample size is small. Several India teams have been up there though.

JohnnyKills

Great to see that England are batting first today. Hopefully it takes them out of their comfort zone.

Bit of spin would be nice too.

FlawlessThaw

Should be noted England haven't taken T20s seriously since 2016 with Archer, Stokes and Buttler playing their first match together in England colours last year. So too early to make a call there.

Wood is a big loss for England today, not sure about Tom Curran and how he and both Chris Jordan fit in together, and it will change England's strategy completely.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Disappointing that Wood is injured, makes the attack much weaker . Fascinating team selection by India today , they are in a good position because they are chasing but not sure about 5 bowlers with Hardik as the 5th if you have to defend a total .

arnie_ni

You mean the best white-ball squad across both formats?

Not sure. T20 has only been around for 15 years so sample size is small. Several India teams have been up there though.
That's sort of what I meant yea. But indias early 2010 team was pointed out

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Can someone please explain Rohit not being in the team?

I may be biased due to him being my favourite player, however, I just want to understand the thought process of the selectors?.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
India need a wicket or two here these are not two players you want “in”

NinjaFletch

Always makes me laugh remembering that Roy has opened the batting for England in Test Cricket when you see some of the "shots" he plays :lol:

AshRK

India will findnit difficult to win the wc with pandya as their 5th choice bowler. They have to drop one of iyer rahul or suryakumar and play jadeja in 5 down when he returns.