England in India 2021

JohnnyKills

England have won their last four T20s all away from home, so they were always going to lose eventually. However there are definitely some things to think about.

Would we have got more runs at the end had Buttler been there? I can totally see the argument for him opening but it doesn't look quite right at the moment and it hasn't really come off for him since he went up to the top in international cricket.

Also, Stokes doesn't seem suited to finishing; he's a bit 6-or-bust and he looked really ill at ease today.

Something like:

Roy
Banton
Bairstow
Stokes
Morgan
Buttler

Looks a lot better-balanced to me.

Anyway, great that they're out of their comfort zone and hopefully it forces them to come to terms with this kind of pitch in time for the WC.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Something like:

Roy
Banton
Bairstow
Stokes
Morgan
Buttler

Anyway, great that they're out of their comfort zone and hopefully it forces them to come to terms with this kind of pitch in time for the WC.
Banton isn't quite there yet for me. There's been constant whispers about Hales coming back and that's what I would do, Stokes would be best placed as the anchor at number 3 with Bairstow,Buttler and Morgan as the engine room.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Don't think that there is much between these teams overall , going to come down to minor stuff & the toss . England should have got 180+ here and thus built more scoreboard pressure. I don't think that the pitches in the WC will be like this ground .
India's fielding loses out. Otherwise, both teams are pretty fairly balanced. Jadeja coming back would bolster that aspect. Pandya needs to up his game. I think Shikhar Dhawan might now be on his way out of the squad.

Skills

Snitch
1. Ishan Kishan
2. Kohli
3. Iyer
4. Pant
6. Pandya
7. Jadeja
8. Washington Sundar / Axar Patel
10. Kumar
11. Bumrah

What do we think of this as the core for India's team going into the World cup? With a few spots up for grabs

SinNombre

1. Ishan Kishan
2. Kohli
3. Iyer
4. Pant
6. Pandya
7. Jadeja
10. Kumar
11. Bumrah

What do we think of this as the core for India's team going into the World cup? With a few spots up for grabs
Iyer at 3 is terrible. He is good as a squad backup for Kohli or Rohit.

One or both of Rohit and KL will be in the xi, though arguably only one should be.

SKY should be given chances to stake the #5 spot, he is also a decent bowling option.

AshRK

1. Ishan Kishan
2. Kohli
3. Iyer
4. Pant
6. Pandya
7. Jadeja
10. Kumar
11. Bumrah

Rohit will open and everyone will push down the order. Suryakumar may play instead of iyer. Not a huge fan of chahal so that place can be filled by another quality spinner.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
1. Ishan Kishan
2. Kohli
3. Iyer
4. Pant
6. Pandya
7. Jadeja
10. Kumar
11. Bumrah

Rohit must be in the team. Best one day player in the world, obviously in my opinion.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
1. Ishan Kishan
2. Kohli
3. Iyer
4. Pant
6. Pandya
7. Jadeja
10. Kumar
11. Bumrah

Rohit
Ishan
Kohli
Pant
Sky
Pandya
Jadeja
Sundar
Thakur/Chahal
Bumrah
Bhuvi/Nattu

Skills

Snitch
Rohit
Ishan
Kohli
Pant
Sky
Pandya
Jadeja
Sundar
Thakur/Chahal
Bumrah
Bhuvi/Nattu
Yeah I'm being a bit harsh on Rohit by not including him. He can be unbelievably valuable most of the time and you risk being too volatile if you take out players like Rohit or Kohli.

The India team has moved on quite quickly after the 2019 world cup. One of my complaints about it back then was the long ass tail but Sundar and Jadeja's reintroduction has changed that dramatically. Only risk there is potentially 2 finger spinners who can be mince meat in t20s on the wrong day.

NinjaFletch

England have won their last four T20s all away from home, so they were always going to lose eventually. However there are definitely some things to think about.

Would we have got more runs at the end had Buttler been there? I can totally see the argument for him opening but it doesn't look quite right at the moment and it hasn't really come off for him since he went up to the top in international cricket.

Also, Stokes doesn't seem suited to finishing; he's a bit 6-or-bust and he looked really ill at ease today.

Something like:

Roy
Banton
Bairstow
Stokes
Morgan
Buttler

I thought you were a big Malan fan?

I agree with Bairstow at 3 though. I don't think Malan has any right batting during a power play. He's far too slow getting going, which is why he's up the order, but it is a waste of balls. Stick him at 4 and give him time to build between 6-10 before teeing off.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Has Malan been playing, or has he been dropped? Hales would be a good option if he was to come back into the international reckoning. Any chance of Billings coming into the side?

Vince, Banton and Livingstone have also done well in the BBL (not that, that is the gold standard but i watch quite a bit of it) but i assume probably not really international quality? Banton aside, as he has time on his side.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Has Malan been playing, or has he been dropped? Hales would be a good option if he was to come back into the international reckoning. Any chance of Billings coming into the side?

Vince, Banton and Livingstone have also done well in the BBL (not that, that is the gold standard but i watch quite a bit of it) but i assume probably not really international quality? Banton aside, as he has time on his side.
Malan has been playing, albeit in steady rather than spectacular form.

Can't see Hales coming in for him anytime soon all things considered given Hales' history and Malan's current T20 standing.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Malan has been playing, albeit in steady rather than spectacular form.

Can't see Hales coming in for him anytime soon all things considered given Hales' history and Malan's current T20 standing.
Aargh thanks for that albert. Haven't been following closely, outside of following most of the results and reading up on this thread. Malan was lacking some real form in the BBL, but of course, as you say, he's tanked number 1 in this format, last i checked.

I always liked Hales and I only found out about why he was dropped/isn't selected for the NT anymore here on the Caf.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
England have far too many left handers from number 3 onwards which is another reason why Stokes needs to open and Buttler can bat at 5/6

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What do we think for tomorrow then? I expect Tom Curran to be replaced whether it's by Wood or another spinner. Possibly Ali, Hopefully Parkinson.

KM

What do we think for tomorrow then? I expect Tom Curran to be replaced whether it's by Wood or another spinner. Possibly Ali, Hopefully Parkinson.
If Mooen doesn't play then it'll be staggering. Two lefties in India top 4.

KM

Sky dropped to accommodate Rahul. feck off.

mav_9me

Sky dropped to accommodate Rahul. feck off.
Surprised by that. SKY didn't really have much of a chance to show what he can do. And Rahul should be dropped to give Rohit a chance.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Will miss most of this today due to the Racing at Cheltenham.

Be good to see India give England a big chase and test out the batting 2nd favouritism.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Tbf to Rahul his record has been pretty good and it would have been harsh to drop him after two failures as well . India just have a problem of plenty.

zing

Zingle balls
Tbf to Rahul his record has been pretty good and it would have been harsh to drop him after two failures as well . India just have a problem of plenty.
I’d sit Kohli out. We need to find 2-3 players for the middle order. Not going to get that done by playing Kohli, Rohit both. Rahul needs game time to prove himself.

KM

I’d sit Kohli out. We need to find 2-3 players for the middle order. Not going to get that done by playing Kohli, Rohit both. Rahul needs game time to prove himself.
I'm more annoyed by Ishan not being asked to open.