England national team

Nikhil

Gareth Southgate has given opportunities to new players who have played well like Maguire and Trippier.

The UEFA Nations League gets underway in September.

The qualifiers for the Euros starts in spring next year.

Thought we should have a thread for England team news, squads and line ups and matches.

How do you expect the side will do in the Nations League? Will the World Cup give them a boost for the Euros?

saivet

Happy with some squad. The only picks I would consider strange are Chalobah who I swear has been inured for ages, Welbeck ahead of Sturridge and Mason Mount though I am interested to see how he does.

I hope Southgate also tries playing a 433. At team like this in one of the games would be interesting:

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Henderson
Maddison Mount
Sterling Kane Sancho

I like what Southgate is trying to do - you can see there's a plan in the way he wants to play and using the youth as well. This is the first time in years I'm actually looking forward to seeing England play :lol:

Classical Mechanic

Happy with some squad. The only picks I would consider strange are Chalobah who I swear has been inured for ages, Welbeck ahead of Sturridge and Mason Mount though I am interested to see how he does.

I hope Southgate also tries playing a 433. At team like this in one of the games would be interesting:

Pickford
Henderson
Maddison Mount
Sterling Kane Sancho
He has but him and his brother have never turned down a call up for England at any level. N Chalobah has 96 caps at youth level for England! The FA see them as role models for other young players in the set up so expect to see them in the seniors even if they aren't quite at the level.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Pickford
Henderson
Maddison Mount
Sterling Kane Sancho
Can't imagine we will change from 3-5-2; he's had too much success with it.

Chabolah is a little odd but I suppose this team is a nod to the future. He's anticipating Chabolah will be playing regular first team football by the time the Euros come about .

saivet

He has but him and his brother have never turned down a call up for England at any level. N Chalobah has 96 caps at youth level for England! The FA see them as role models for other young players in the set up so expect to see them in the seniors even if they aren't quite at the level.
Yeah I read his comments and he even trained with the first team before the World Cup so knows the group well. Doubt he will get his debut now and considering the lack of midfield options him being there is no real issue.

Web of Bissaka

England squad to face Croatia & Spain

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Nathaniel Chalobah (Watford), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), James Maddison (Leicester City), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Alex McCarthy (Southampton), Mason Mount (on loan at Derby County from Chelsea), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal), Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)

---

Okay, I have no idea what positions some of these players are playing. If anyone could enlighten.

Likely to retain the same formation 5 at the back. That list seems to have many defenders.

No Hart, boring.

Sancho who? from Dortmund.. interesting.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Six fresh faces and average age under 24yo. It's really invigorating to see.

Agree with @saivet re Welbeck over Sturridge who is looking really sharp despite not getting too many minutes. A far better finisher than Danny will ever be and if fit has to play a part.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Winks is key if we want to get better at bringing the ball out more fluidly from the back. Hendo has been a good servant but we drastically need an upgrade there.

izec

England squad to face Croatia & Spain

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Nathaniel Chalobah (Watford), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), James Maddison (Leicester City), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Alex McCarthy (Southampton), Mason Mount (on loan at Derby County from Chelsea), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal), Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)

---

Okay, I have no idea what positions some of these players are playing. If anyone could enlighten.

Likely to retain the same formation 5 at the back. That list seems to have many defenders.

No Hart, boring.

Sancho who? from Dortmund.. interesting.
Never heard of Sancho? Big talent, looking sharp at Dortmund. Was at City before he went there. I am going to watch them tomorrow against Augsburg, hopefully he plays a lot.

Ether

Really wish Southgate would bin this back 3. Doesn't suit Kyle Walker playing CB and it would allow another attacker to come into the side on the LW. Otherwise, there's too much pressure on Kane to score because Alli isn't as much of a goal threat playing deeper and Sterling can't seem to finish for England, although I do rate him.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Winks is key if we want to get better at bringing the ball out more fluidly from the back. Hendo has been a good servant but we drastically need an upgrade there.
They will have to keep looking because it is not Winks.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can't imagine we will change from 3-5-2; he's had too much success with it.

Chabolah is a little odd but I suppose this team is a nod to the future. He's anticipating Chabolah will be playing regular first team football by the time the Euros come about .
Southgate has spoken in the past about using that formation as it hides England’s weaknesses and suits what they have. I think with him trying new options, perhaps he wants to see how another formation goes, which may be his longer term vision.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Southgate has spoken in the past about using that formation as it hides England’s weaknesses and suits what they have. I think with him trying new options, perhaps he wants to see how another formation goes, which may be his longer term vision.
Yeah that's true. I was never a fan of Southgate, but he's making all the right noises. The pressures off somewhat, so it's the perfect time to look to the future and build the foundation of a team that can play for the next 2/3 major tournaments.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Lewis Cook is better than Winks.
I think so, too. I think he could end up being England's next big CM, which is why I'm surprised he hasn't had a look in under Southgate. Especially as that's probably our weakest area as of now and could do what @Raees says above better than anyone else we have, in my opinion.

I think so, too. I think he could end up being England's next big CM, which is why I'm surprised he hasn't had a look in under Southgate. Especially as that's probably our weakest area as of now and could do what @Raees says above better than anyone else we have, in my opinion.
He probably needs to move to a bigger club

Classical Mechanic

Not sold on Lewis Cook personally. He isn’t a DLP for a start. He has a pretty low bottom level and won’t control games. Good player but not one I think will ever be a difference maker for England.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He probably needs to move to a bigger club
He's only 21 so he has time on his side. Looking at his stats, he hasn't played too much this season but was really impressive last year.
Not sold on Lewis Cook personally. He isn’t a DLP for a start. He has a pretty low bottom level and won’t control games. Good player but not one I think will ever be a difference maker for England.
Yeah, he's more of a box to box at Bournemouth, but I think he has all the assets needed to make a good DLP. Maybe you're right about him not becoming a difference maker for England, but I do think he has the potential to become one.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Lewis Cook is better than Winks.
He’s not. Well not better than the Winks from the first half of last season pre-injury. That said, not sure what Winks we have post injury this season.

Ether

Hasn't he hardly started a game for Bournemouth this season?
Eddie Howe gave this as an explanation as to why he hasn't featured more so far:
The 21-year-old did play in the 3-2 Carabao Cup win over Blackburn on Tuesday night and impressed Howe, who admitted he has modelled his side this campaign on the one that beat Marseille 5-2 in a pre-season friendly.

"Naturally, he wants to play, any player would say the same. I think if he turns around and says, 'I'm happy not to play', there's a problem," said Howe.

"He's been unfortunate because going way back to the Marseille game in pre-season, we played so well I didn't want to change the team from that day.

"And then we've had a really good start to the season, it's been difficult for him to get his opportunity in the Premier League.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Barkley, Maddison and Mount are perfect players for Southgate's 3-5-2.....the best player would be Foden but :rolleyes:

Will be intersting to see if Southagate would change the formation for Sancho.
This
Really wish Southgate would bin this back 3. Doesn't suit Kyle Walker playing CB and it would allow another attacker to come into the side on the LW. Otherwise, there's too much pressure on Kane to score because Alli isn't as much of a goal threat playing deeper and Sterling can't seem to finish for England, although I do rate him.
I would say Southgate prefers Maguire - Stones - Gomez.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Completely ignored the fact that Sancho got selected - exciting times lets hope he has a good debut!

saivet

Papers saying that Southgate plans to move to a 4-3-3 which I think is a good move by him. Teams not out but rumours two of those three will be Henderson and Dier which would be disappointing, but doubt both of them will last.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Is the game tonight on TV, or does "Behind Closed Doors" mean we can't even watch it?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Papers saying that Southgate plans to move to a 4-3-3 which I think is a good move by him. Teams not out but rumours two of those three will be Henderson and Dier which would be disappointing, but doubt both of them will last.
Going to 4 at the back is the right thing to do against Croatia who have 2 very good wingers. It should also allow our fast fullbacks to push up.