England national team

Zoo

I’ve been harsh on Southgate but fair play to him on recognising the need to evolve tactically after the World Cup.

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
Guys... I was watching the match for the first 10 minutes and Spain looked like a far better team. When I came back, I found out England has been winning 3-0. Can someone explain to me what's going on?

Joseunited

Barkley looks a bit lost to me.He seems to try the opposite to what is needed.Killer pass when he should keep it simple and vice versa and when he ran at them towards the end of the half he should have smashed it at De Gea but he just got himself in a right muddle.Winks looks okay though.Fecking loving the counter attacking football we're playing.

Member 39557

Sancho's cameo against croatia has put a rocket up rashford and sterlings arse. Should be good going forward, competition for places is nice to have.

Classical Mechanic

Barkley looks a bit lost to me.He seems to try the opposite to what is needed.Killer pass when he should keep it simple and vice versa and when he ran at them towards the end of the half he should have smashed it at De Gea but he just got himself in a right muddle.Winks looks okay though.Fecking loving the counter attacking football we're playing.
He did do one killer pass in fairness.

AllezLesDiables

Barkley doesn’t process fast enough. It’s something I’ve noticed in the last few years. He’s far too pensive and he tends to not make instinctive decisions, which kills most one touch play

Ekeke

In the end I think that was far more impressive than the world cup.

Scrapped the back 3 that didnt work at the world cup and aside from some chaos in the first 15 mins, Alcacer's goal and Rodrigo pinching the ball off the goalkeeper overplaying - most of the 2nd half at least, England defended decently as a team with Maguire and Gomez doing well. Still room for improvement but still far better than in the world cup.

Barkley, Rashford, Sterling and Kane were electric going forward. They scared the hell out of Spain and rightly so. The Spain setup couldnt handle the fast and direct movement and passing that England brought to them tonight. Having said that England's midfield and front players have owed that performance for some time because they were wasteful in the world cup.

I haven't been a Southgate fan at all, but in scrapping the back 3 and the myth about playing the ball at the back and playing the way we actually had a chance of hurting Spain he has shown that he's learned from mistakes.

Positive stuff, very good result.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
In the end I think that was far more impressive than the world cup.

Scrapped the back 3 that didnt work at the world cup....
How can you seriously claim it didn't work at the world cup yet it got England to a semi final? It largely suited the type of personnel available at the time

The 3-5-2 in the world cup wasn't a mistake. Neither is this switch to 4-3-3. Both times he has used formations that largely suit the on form player available for England selection

Ekeke

How can you seriously claim it didn't work at the world cup yet it got England to a semi final? It largely suited the type of personnel available at the time

The 3-5-2 in the world cup wasn't a mistake. Neither is this switch to 4-3-3. Both times he has used formations that largely suit the on form player available for England selection
Because it didnt work against the first decent team we played against. We never had a problem against minnows and teams who arent any good. We couldnt beat the good teams. And all the composure that was talked about fell apart against those teams. Mishit clearances, passes losing the ball in our own half and so on. As nervous as we've ever been.

We played a good team in Belgium, we lost. We played a good team in Croatia, we lost. We played a good team in Belgium, we lost. Same as England of old just like Carragher says. That was the old problem too good against the easy teams but not enough against the big teams.

Southgate has scrapped the 3 at the back and tonight he scrapped the idea of creating from the back. We went route 1 with Pickford launching the ball forward and Kane being a good focal point, finding the runners. We blitzed Spain with speed and direct play. Thats how we could hurt them. Not Stones and Maguire trying passes through the middle.

James Peril

Excellent game, nice to see Spain - England instead of something like England - Slovakia and don’t give a shit. Messed up result, but football is about scoring goals - especially when the other (superior) team acts naively at the back with a high line. Remember Roma against Liverpool, this was just the same. Excellent pass by Rashford to Sterling, very de Bruyne-esque. Now watch him go struggle against the packed defensive lines in the Premier League

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Looks like they'll be favourite for the Euro's, can definitely see them winning it.

Am I doing it right?

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Excellent game, nice to see Spain - England instead of something like England - Slovakia and don’t give a shit. Messed up result, but football is about scoring goals - especially when the other (superior) team acts naively at the back with a high line. Remember Roma against Liverpool, this was just the same. Excellent pass by Rashford to Sterling, very de Bruyne-esque. Now watch him go struggle against the packed defensive lines in the Premier League
I don't get this, really. More technical, yes. Superior... Debatable. They have not been a force in ages.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm actually enjoying watching England whenever I catch a game. I can't remember having that feeling since the early Sven years.
It's nice to have something to get behind again. Our international football and its support was looking pretty dead for a while.

Nuts

Really happy for England, but that’s not a great Spain side. Still a fantastic result, but Spain don’t have anything like the players they’ve had over the last 10 years...