England national team

Djemba-Djemba

Really happy for England, but that’s not a great Spain side. Still a fantastic result, but Spain don’t have anything like the players they’ve had over the last 10 years...
They've not lost at home in a competitive match for 15 years or so.

They aren't the Spain of 2008 to 2012 but it's still a fantastic achievement to go there and win.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really happy for England, but that’s not a great Spain side. Still a fantastic result, but Spain don’t have anything like the players they’ve had over the last 10 years...
De Gea, Ramos, Busquets, Saul, Thiago & Asensio are all better than anyone England have. I agree they are not quite at the level they were from 2008-12, still one of the best in the world though. Great away win for England. I prefer the 4-3-3, we were too vulnerable out wide with the 3-5-2.

Is there any particualar reason why Smalling can't get a look in? I understand Stones, Maguire & Gomez, but with the likes of Jones, Tarkowski & Dunk getting in over him it looks like a personal agenda on Southgate's part to me.

Ekeke

It's nice to have something to get behind again. Our international football and its support was looking pretty dead for a while.
It was a good thing.

One of the problems in the past was that the fans expected so much of England.

The media build it up as "The nation are dreaming again" but its not dreaming. Its expectation. England are expecting again and if they dont do as well as the media and fans are suggesting, it'll be just like the past where its considered disappointment.

When there are low expectations and less pressure on the players to perform, it'll be easier for them to do it and for the fans to enjoy it.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don't know how its possible to dismiss a result like this. Last time Spain lost a game in 90 minutes was vs Italy at Euro 2016. Easy to see they will improve in the future.

Classical Mechanic

Enjoy, but it doesn't really mean much.
It isn't a friendly, its a competitive international. The intensity these games have been played with showed that the sides are taking this competition very seriously.

I think the Nations League has been a great idea. England are getting high level competitive competition in what would have been filled with meaningless friendlies.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't know how anyone can watch last nights game and still call such matches Friendly. There was nothing friendly about it.

It was a good thing.

One of the problems in the past was that the fans expected so much of England.

The media build it up as "The nation are dreaming again" but its not dreaming. Its expectation. England are expecting again and if they dont do as well as the media and fans are suggesting, it'll be just like the past where its considered disappointment.

When there are low expectations and less pressure on the players to perform, it'll be easier for them to do it and for the fans to enjoy it.
I agree to a certain extent, but does that mean we're better off never winning? I don't think people are going too overboard lately, but just actually enjoying us not being horrific. We never get wins like last night in competitive games, so its an odd feeling and one to treasure.

I see no problem with expectations rising if it's based on wins against good teams in difficult matches. Beating the usual cannon fodder we take care of every qualifying campaign and getting all expectant is another thing entirely, and should rightly be scoffed at.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Outstanding counter attacking football from England. Backs to the wall for the second half but that was to be expected.

Exciting times for England. They've lacked identity and belief in the past but Southgate is doing a great job of instilling both in a young squad.

Djemba-Djemba

As much as I loved the World Cup and as proud of the team as I was I do think we needed a really big win over a top side. Our World Cup path wasn't as difficult as it would have normally been so to go and beat Spain in Spain is a brilliant result.

It does feel like Southgate knows what he's doing and he's building something. After years of us looking utterly clueless I'm happy with that.

Classical Mechanic

My thoughts before this tournament was that we had to aim to not get relegated from the elite group whilst beating one of the top sides along the way. The second part of has been achieved.

If we beat Croatia at home we won't get relegated.

If Croatia draw or beat Spain at home and we beat Croatia we would win the group and go through to the semi finals.

If Croatia beat Spain at home and win or get a score draw with England at Wembley then we get relegated and Spain win the group.

If Spain beat Croatia they win the group and we need at least a draw not to get relegated but if Croatia beat us in the last game then we are relegated.

I think........

All still to play for.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That was the toughest Spain side I have seen since Euro 2012. In terms of star dust it might have been lacking, but it was a more cohesive unit, with greater intensity about it and a purpose outside of just passing teams to death for the sake of passing. I think the result slightly flattered England, as Spain were playing at a very good tempo and looked very dangerous. It is a new look Spanish side but for me result aside, that performance going forward was promising from their perspective. They should still top the group - if they avoid tactical naivety from a defensive perspective.

Unlike Germany, the Spanish have sensed the need to rebuild and trust whole-heartedly with the new generation. IMO it has taken them too long to realize this but they're still one of the teams to fear for Euro 2020 whereas I feel Germany will take some time to recover especially if they're this reluctant to get rid of Low.

As an England fan, great to see we can mix it up tactically but still concerning how average we can be at holding on to the ball when it is backs to the wall. We invite pressure and that is something which has been prevalent since Euro 2004. It is important to keep playing your football even when 3-0 up, and use possession as a way of seeing the game out - not just retreating and packing the box.

Southgate does seem to be the type of guy who can evolve tactically, so that is the next step for England. I'd also like to see Sancho possibly progress into the first team set up, we need a bit more cutting edge and brains in the final third - but after that performance, it would be wise to persist with that front three for now. Winks for me was not on form against Spain, but his willingness to be courageous on the ball is a big step forward for England's ability to go toe to toe when a superior ball-playing side is coming at them - Barkley to helps in this respect, but both need to up their decision-making. We need more of their mould breaking into the set up.

saivet

De Gea, Ramos, Busquets, Saul, Thiago & Asensio are all better than anyone England have. I agree they are not quite at the level they were from 2008-12, still one of the best in the world though. Great away win for England. I prefer the 4-3-3, we were too vulnerable out wide with the 3-5-2.

Is there any particualar reason why Smalling can't get a look in? I understand Stones, Maguire & Gomez, but with the likes of Jones, Tarkowski & Dunk getting in over him it looks like a personal agenda on Southgate's part to me.
I don't think he'd start for England actually and think he's massively overrated.

On Smalling he doesn't play as Southgate wants to play out from the back and Smalling's game doesn't suit that. Jones is better on the ball even though I don't rate him and Tarkowski and Dunk are kinda just there to make up the numbers rather than play I feel. It's a bit similar to some of the keepers ahead of Hart in the squad, they're not all that much better but they'll be much more appreciative of just being in the squad.

saivet

Just making me wonder if this guy was still England's manager.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That first half was the best I've seen England play since 1996 IMO, shame that half time came when it did as we were flying.

No Surprise that HT changed the game and we switched mentalities, not sure that was the right thing to do straight away but it's a learning curve for Southgate.

All the players look happy and super confident which is great to see.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It isn't a friendly, its a competitive international. The intensity these games have been played with showed that the sides are taking this competition very seriously.

I think the Nations League has been a great idea. England are getting high level competitive competition in what would have been filled with meaningless friendlies.
After the WC England already played Spain 2 times and Croatia, the only friendly was Switzerland. Portugal already played Italy and Poland more 2 friendlies vs Croatia and Scotland. Lets say only Scotland was a bit of a glorified friendly.

How can anyone say these games aren't more competitive than the qualifiers when for 2 years if you face 1 good or top team is too much? Best idea UEFA had since the introduction of the Champions League, reason why European Football is always ahead on the curve. These games are more intense than friendlies and also are good to see the development of nations like Luxembourg facing teams at a similar level.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Because it didnt work against the first decent team we played against. We never had a problem against minnows and teams who arent any good. We couldnt beat the good teams. ...
Failure to beat good teams is not the same as it 'not working'. Vs Croatia for example, its their greater experience that won out in the end. Most of that game England matched them pretty well and were even deservedly infront for a good while. Vs Belgium your personnel were sinply not up to par. Case in point Jones' error in the 3rd place play off.

In addition the lack of composure came from bein inexperienced with that type of play at senior level. But that does not make it a mistake. Not when literally all your age group level teamas now play out from the back and keep possesion

Southgate has scrapped the 3 at the back and tonight he scrapped the idea of creating from the back. We went route 1 with Pickford launching the ball forward and Kane being a good focal point, finding the runners. We blitzed Spain with speed and direct play. Thats how we could hurt them. Not Stones and Maguire trying passes through the middle.
You also had the players to make it work. If he had tried that at the world cup without a Barkley type player in the entire squad you wouldnt have even got out of the group. The fact is England long term will be better for the things he has and is trying to implement with the team.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
All 6 of the names you mentioned are better passers of the ball than Smalling. I'm pretty sure that plays a big part.

Ekeke

I don't know how anyone can watch last nights game and still call such matches Friendly. There was nothing friendly about it.

I agree to a certain extent, but does that mean we're better off never winning? I don't think people are going too overboard lately, but just actually enjoying us not being horrific. We never get wins like last night in competitive games, so its an odd feeling and one to treasure.

I see no problem with expectations rising if it's based on wins against good teams in difficult matches. Beating the usual cannon fodder we take care of every qualifying campaign and getting all expectant is another thing entirely, and should rightly be scoffed at.
For sure last night was great.

I was talking more about the world cup and how once we made it to the match with Croatia the pundits like Lineker started talking about the final, as if we were going to have an easy time against Croatia. And all the "its coming home" stuff because we beat some teams that arent very good.

Last night was different and much more impressive than the world cup in my opinion. But its still only 1 match so far.

Hoof the ball

Just making me wonder if this guy was still England's manager.
I can't abide Sam Allardyce's opinions on anything related to football. He's this anachronism and it's just simply embarrassing. He absolutely hates anything to do with European football or its style. Always undermining wherever and whenever he can. Worst of all, english people seem to take to him. Good ol' "Big Sam". "likeable" Big Sam. Nothing likeable about him or his antiquated opinions. Busquets has been doing this for years, consistently. His numbers are consistent. Comparing Dier to him is absurd. Dier's got nothing close to the passing or control ability of Sergio.

Hoof the ball

Question.

Was the first half an anomaly? should it be treated as such?

We had five shots on goal the entire game. In the entire game we had only three shots on target. All three went in. Whilst we were super-duper efficient and clinical in the first half in that respect, should we analyse it in terms of being a unique set of circumstances rather than evidence that we're overall better against big national teams?

Ekeke

I can't abide Sam Allardyce's opinions on anything related to football. He's this anachronism and it's just simply embarrassing. He absolutely hates anything to do with European football or its style. Always undermining wherever and whenever he can. Worst of all, english people seem to take to him. Good ol' "Big Sam". "likeable" Big Sam. Nothing likeable about him or his antiquated opinions. Busquets has been doing this for years, consistently. His numbers are consistent. Comparing Dier to him is absurd. Dier's got nothing close to the passing or control ability of Sergio.
And it didnt matter last night. Dier was far better.

Like Ramos, Busquets defensively was there for the taking. Sure on the ball he still made loads of passes but he didnt do his job effectively breaking up attacks and helping the backline.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
And please no one try to play down this win. That is largely the same Spain set up that hammered Croatia 6-0! Savour the victory because its a great achievement. No matter how you look at it.
Spain hadn't lost at home in 15 years, I think it was also the first time in a long time they conceded 3 goals at home in a long time. I think most England fans would have taken a goalless draw before the game if you offered it to them so to go and score 3 against a side that has not lost a home match in 15 years is a great achievement.

England are probably at their strongest since the days of Sven Göran Eriksen.

Hoof the ball

And it didnt matter last night. Dier was far better.

Like Ramos, Busquets defensively was there for the taking. Sure on the ball he still made loads of passes but he didnt do his job effectively breaking up attacks and helping the backline.
Agreed, however, it's confirmation bias on Allardyce's part. He states that Dier is as good as Busquets on the one night that Busquets has a poor game and Dier has a good one. It's a logical fallacy. Any one player can outplay a more superlative counter-part in a single fixture.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Spain hadn't lost at home in 15 years, I think it was also the first time in a long time they conceded 3 goals at home in a long time. I think most England fans would have taken a goalless draw before the game if you offered it to them so to go and score 3 against a side that has not lost a home match in 15 years is a great achievement.

England are probably at their strongest since the days of Sven Göran Eriksen.
Think England are at their strongest, but Southgate has got them playing as a team. No I'm a bigger star then you, no club rivalries. It makes a nice change. Rio saying about the cliques as though it was funny. It wasn't, that sort of stuff should have been nipped in the bud.

Ekeke

Agreed, however, it's confirmation bias on Allardyce's part. He states that Dier is as good as Busquets on the one night that Busquets has a poor game and Dier has a good one. It's a logical fallacy. Any one player can outplay a more superlative counter-part in a single fixture.
I heard it as him talking about it as one game for Dier Vs. Busquets, but he also made the point that Busquets plays a simple game generally but sometimes players doing that in England arent rated. I dont think he specifically meant Dier alone, but any player doing that job.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I heard it as him talking about it as one game for Dier Vs. Busquets, but he also made the point that Busquets plays a simple game generally but sometimes players doing that in England arent rated. I dont think he specifically meant Dier alone, but any player doing that job.
I heard it the same way and took it the same way. He was basing it on this game and about the flak Dier usually gets.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat

Walker, Stones, Sterling and Kane are all better than anyone Spain have.

I absolutely love the England front three of Kane, Sterling and Rashford. Could develop into something really special in the coming years...