England national team

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
It's not a friendly...
Glorified friendly then.

People like you are the worst
It's a decent win in a nothing competition. Forgive me for not creaming my pants.

It isn't a friendly, its a competitive international. The intensity these games have been played with showed that the sides are taking this competition very seriously.

I think the Nations League has been a great idea. England are getting high level competitive competition in what would have been filled with meaningless friendlies.
All it is is an unwelcome disruption to the domestic season. International football should be restricted to the summer only.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Still missing dominant CB and a Scholes or Carrick.

Unpopular but Carrick at the world cup would have helped immensely or even a Shelvey. You need creativity from deep. Athleticism in deep midfield is nice but overrated. Creativity, technique and intelligence in deep midfield wins trophies.

Djemba-Djemba

Glorified friendly then.

It's a decent win in a nothing competition. Forgive me for not creaming my pants.

All it is is an unwelcome disruption to the domestic season. International football should be restricted to the summer only.
Considering Liverpool have won almost feck all in 12 years I take it you've not been excited at any big wins during that time?

Because for any of them you can say well you didn't win anything so it doesn't really matter.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Considering Liverpool have won almost feck all in 12 years I take it you've not been excited at any big wins during that time?

Because for any of them you can say well you didn't win anything so it doesn't really matter.
What relevance do Liverpool have in this conversation?

And there is a huge difference between international and domestic football.

Djemba-Djemba

What relevance do Liverpool have in this conversation?

And there is a huge difference between international and domestic football.
Well you don't seem too bothered about international football and I don't know which country you support so I thought I'd use the domestic club you do support as an example.

Spain haven't lost a competitive game at home for 15 years, so I'd say it's more than a "decent" result, and they didn't seem to think it was a glorified friendly looking at their reaction to the final whistle last night.

I'm not sure what you gain by trying to dampen optimism. We don't beat many top class sides, especially in competitive games. Can we not enjoy wins like last night?

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Well you don't seem too bothered about international football and I don't know which country you support so I thought I'd use the domestic club you do support as an example.

Spain haven't lost a competitive game at home for 15 years, so I'd say it's more than a "decent" result, and they didn't seem to think it was a glorified friendly looking at their reaction to the final whistle last night.

I'm not sure what you gain by trying to dampen optimism. We don't beat many top class sides, especially in competitive games. Can we not enjoy wins like last night?
I'm English but couldn't give less of a feck about internationals. Maybe my perspective clouds my opinion.

I'm not suggesting don't enjoy it - simply failing to see the point in holding this so called competition, let alone the merit of doing well in it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Still missing dominant CB and a Scholes or Carrick.

Unpopular but Carrick at the world cup would have helped immensely or even a Shelvey. You need creativity from deep. Athleticism in deep midfield is nice but overrated. Creativity, technique and intelligence in deep midfield wins trophies.
Not just in deep midfield but massively important in and around the penalty area. Just look at the opportunities that David Silva creates for City. That is what England miss.

Having said that how brilliant was the counter attacks at blistering pace against Spain. They simply didn't know what hit them or how to stop it.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Walker, Stones, Sterling and Kane are all better than anyone Spain have.

I absolutely love the England front three of Kane, Sterling and Rashford. Could develop into something really special in the coming years...
Stones is better than Ramos? Ok mate...

Agreed on the front 3.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
You've just been done by Israel pal. Go find a thread on curling or something Scots are good at ;)
You see, the thing is, Scotland doesn’t actually think it’s any good at football. We’ve embraced it, we’re terrible.

England’s a different story, one win over Spain and it’s a bit of a wank fest.

Djemba-Djemba

You see, the thing is, Scotland doesn’t actually think it’s any good at football. We’ve embraced it, we’re terrible.

So bitter :lol:

And yeah it is a different story, we've just finished 4th at the world cup and beaten Spain away.

You've not qualified for a tournament in 20 years and just lost to Israel.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Don't see any England fans saying we'll definitely win the Euros. We're just enjoying a great result.

We've got a better chance of winning it than Scotland though :D
Indeed you do, without a doubt. This is a fact that seems to be a common theme in the replies, you’ve had a better team for years

Ekeke

I remember when Scotland beat France many years ago, all the Scots on a forum I was posting on were suggesting it makes Scotland the best team in the world

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
So bitter :lol:

And yeah it is a different story, we've just finished 4th at the world cup and beaten Spain away.

You've not qualified for a tournament in 20 years and just lost to Israel.
Bitter? Not at all. If anything this reply you gave me is filled with venom, needlessly I might add.

My initial comment was a sarcastic joke meant in jest that seems to have riled up a few sensitive souls.

The whole point of my white text was to highlight the sudden change in opinion that usually hangs over the English side, often to the detriment of the players. It’s the media I hate, not the side itself.

You had lost to Croatia, Spain and Belgium and the mood was pretty sour with some nasty comments. Then you beat Spain away, deservedly I might add, and there’s talk of glory of the highest order again.

Being Scottish, I’m quite used to people jumping on the ‘You’re shite’ bandwagon in reply to me whenever I make a remark against the England team, that’s fine, I’m mature enough to accept our football is *ahem* not good, I never brought the Scottish team into this anyway.

So overall, the initial point was a joke, I advise people not to be so sensitive about it, Christ.

I remember when Scotland beat France many years ago, all the Scots on a forum I was posting on were suggesting it makes Scotland the best team in the world
Jesus that must have been a good few years ago now, was that when we scored a worldie from the halfway line? We’ll never be the best team in the world :lol:

Watching us play burns my eyes. Soul destroying stuff.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca

You don't have any option other than to embrace it. The highlight of Scottish football is an Archie Gemill goal 40 years ago.

No wank fest here. Wank fests do happen though on an epic scale when Scotland beat England at something - the entire nation ends up in a wanking induced stupor over one win.

What we've got here is plenty of optimism after a very good win from a young team that is good to watch and looks competitive. There's nothing wrong with that especially considering how disappointing England have been in recent memory. Some get carried away but not many. There's no comparison with Scotland - expectations are higher and rightly so.

But there's nothing more certain than after a good England win there'll be a random, success starved, Scot with a chip on their shoulder moaning in the England thread about England fans. It does seem to get under your skins :cool:

Classical Mechanic

Worth posting this in here too, lots of reasons to be optimistic for England fans.

U17s looking great so far

21s beat Scotland 2-0 with Nelson scoring a great free kick

Overall a great international break for England.

Djemba-Djemba

Bitter? Not at all. If anything this reply you gave me is filled with venom, needlessly I might add.

My initial comment was a sarcastic joke meant in jest that seems to have riled up a few sensitive souls.

The whole point of my white text was to highlight the sudden change in opinion that usually hangs over the English side, often to the detriment of the players. It’s the media I hate, not the side itself.

You had lost to Croatia, Spain and Belgium and the mood was pretty sour with some nasty comments. Then you beat Spain away, deservedly I might add, and there’s talk of glory of the highest order again.

Being Scottish, I’m quite used to people jumping on the ‘You’re shite’ bandwagon in reply to me whenever I make a remark against the England team, that’s fine, I’m mature enough to accept our football is *ahem* not good, I never brought the Scottish team into this anyway.

So overall, the initial point was a joke, I advise people not to be so sensitive about it, Christ.

Jesus that must have been a good few years ago now, was that when we scored a worldie from the halfway line? We’ll never be the best team in the world :lol:

Watching us play burns my eyes. Soul destroying stuff.
@Barca84 summed up my thoughts really.

But you came into the thread being sarcastic and having a dig at England fans so I had a dig back. Not sure why you think I was using venom? Of course I'm going to mention Scottish failures if a Scot comes into a thread on England acting bitter.

I was just pointing out facts, there's no comparison right now with England and Scotland. You embrace being terrible because what else can you do? Scotland have been terrible for a long long time.

England after a long time of being incredibly mediocre, look like a decent team with the potential to be a good one. It's been a very good 2018 for us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Worth posting this in here too, lots of reasons to be optimistic for England fans.

U17s looking great so far

21s beat Scotland 2-0 with Nelson scoring a great free kick

Overall a great international break for England.

Very impressive. Wonder how many of them will get chances at good level and how many of them will leave for better opportunities.

Always good to see Greenwood on the scoresheet.

Classical Mechanic

Very impressive. Wonder how many of them will get chances at good level and how many of them will leave for better opportunities.

Always good to see Greenwood on the scoresheet.
A few of the u17s have already left: Sarimento to Benfica, Madueke to PSV and Bondswell to Leipzig. None of them were in the squad this time, which further highlights the depth and quality as they're all top prospects. United were in for a number of them in the summer but failed to get any to sign. City managed to sign Ben Knight but most left for abroad or stayed at their lower level clubs. Indicative of how they are starting to see the big clubs ability and will to develop them.

That is Sam Greenwood of Arsenal with the 17s. Mason Greenwood is with the 18s. The Sweden coach said the 18s were the best youth side he's ever faced after they lost 4-0 to them last week.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
A few of the u17s have already left: Sarimento to Benfica, Madueke to PSV and Bondswell to Leipzig. None of them were in the squad this time, which further highlights the depth and quality as they're all top prospects. United were in for a number of them in the summer but failed to get any to sign. City managed to sign Ben Knight but most left for abroad or stayed at their lower level clubs. Indicative of how they are starting to see the big clubs ability and will to develop them.

That is Sam Greenwood of Arsenal with the 17s. Mason Greenwood is with the 18s. The Sweden coach said the 18s were the best youth side he's ever faced after they lost 4-0 to them last week.
Yeah, I saw Greenwood scoring for U18s, thought he played for U17s too. Thanks for clarifying.

Looks like PL money is doing more bad to the clubs than good.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
You don't have any option other than to embrace it. The highlight of Scottish football is an Archie Gemill goal 40 years ago.

No wank fest here. Wank fests do happen though on an epic scale when Scotland beat England at something - the entire nation ends up in a wanking induced stupor over one win.

What we've got here is plenty of optimism after a very good win from a young team that is good to watch and looks competitive. There's nothing wrong with that especially considering how disappointing England have been in recent memory. Some get carried away but not many. There's no comparison with Scotland - expectations are higher and rightly so.

But there's nothing more certain than after a good England win there'll be a random, success starved, Scot with a chip on their shoulder moaning in the England thread about England fans. It does seem to get under your skins :cool:
I mentioned previously that it's the media I have an issue with not so much the fans themselves or the actual England side. I don't have a chip on my shoulder at all, how can I? There's no point in denying the vast chasm of quality that separates the two sides, I've also mentioned this previously. The England side doing well doesn't get under my skin at all. I'm a grown man with common sense, not some crazy kilt laiden, red haired bearded savage brandishing a claymore who scorns any news of England doing well. I enjoy watching them too, they play some neat stuff (although the Croatia game was horrible, I was in Croatia for that one too and it was pretty dull). The only thing that annoys me is the media, when England do well, the media does get a little ahead of itself and I feel for the players - it must add pressure to them and that's a little unfair when the team is so young.

Making a little sarcastic joke doesn't constitute 'moaning' either, it was a little comment that seems to have got some people's backs up. I'm sorry it's been interpreted that way, I wasn't meaning to upset anyone, just a bit of banter.

@Barca84 summed up my thoughts really.

But you came into the thread being sarcastic and having a dig at England fans so I had a dig back. Not sure why you think I was using venom? Of course I'm going to mention Scottish failures if a Scot comes into a thread on England acting bitter.

I was just pointing out facts, there's no comparison right now with England and Scotland. You embrace being terrible because what else can you do? Scotland have been terrible for a long long time.

England after a long time of being incredibly mediocre, look like a decent team with the potential to be a good one. It's been a very good 2018 for us.
Bold #1 - Fair enough, I accept that, it was just a bit of banter though.
Bold #2 - I'm not being bitter. It's difficult to portray the intonation of my comments when all I can do is type, but see above for my explanation.
Bold #3 - Lots of other things to do, climb a munro, drink whisky until you can't see, go curling, shake my fist at the rain etc...

To both of you, the initial comment was not meant in a bitter, malevolent or rude manner. It was simply a little joke that's clearly not landed particularly well with some. I can only apologise that it's been interpreted that way. I hope we can move on.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

I mentioned previously that it's the media I have an issue with not so much the fans themselves or the actual England side. I don't have a chip on my shoulder at all, how can I? There's no point in denying the vast chasm of quality that separates the two sides, I've also mentioned this previously. The England side doing well doesn't get under my skin at all. I'm a grown man with common sense, not some crazy kilt laiden, red haired bearded savage brandishing a claymore who scorns any news of England doing well. I enjoy watching them too, they play some neat stuff (although the Croatia game was horrible, I was in Croatia for that one too and it was pretty dull). The only thing that annoys me is the media, when England do well, the media does get a little ahead of itself and I feel for the players - it must add pressure to them and that's a little unfair when the team is so young.

Making a little sarcastic joke doesn't constitute 'moaning' either, it was a little comment that seems to have got some people's backs up. I'm sorry it's been interpreted that way, I wasn't meaning to upset anyone, just a bit of banter.

Bold #1 - Fair enough, I accept that, it was just a bit of banter though.
Bold #2 - I'm not being bitter. It's difficult to portray the intonation of my comments when all I can do is type, but see above for my explanation.
Bold #3 - Lots of other things to do, climb a munro, drink whisky until you can't see, go curling, shake my fist at the rain etc...

To both of you, the initial comment was not meant in a bitter, malevolent or rude manner. It was simply a little joke that's clearly not landed particularly well with some. I can only apologise that it's been interpreted that way. I hope we can move on.
You don't have to aplogise, we're just having a bit of a go at each other. No harm intended I'm sure and I don't want you to think I was seriously having a go at you.

My mates were in Croatia for the semi and the final and they said in the pubs and the nightclubs they just acted like they'd won the final anyway. Kept playing We are the Champions by Queen every hour and celebrating, I think that's the best way to cope with losing a final. Just ignore you've lost and act like you've won.