England squad (Games against Czech Republic and Montenegro) | Rashford and Shaw called up

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I prefer to see Heaton at the back to Pickford to be honest. Both are quality keepers compared to what had in the past decade though.

Dante

Average bang
Neymar/Firminho/Jesus?
Mbappe/Griezmann/Dembele?
Hazard/Lukaku/Mertens?
Taking league, CL and EL contributions this season

Brazil:
Those three have played 5682 minutes, scored 41 and assisted 15
101 minutes per goal contribution

France:
Those three have played 7481 minutes, scored 57 and assisted 25
91 minutes per goal contribution

Belgium:
Those three have played 6939 minutes, scored 39 and assisted 21
115 minutes per goal contribution

England:
Those three have played 7963 minutes, scored 49 and assisted 29
102 minutes per goal contribution

Whilst Brazil and France have a better goal contribution rate, you have to factor in the stat padding from Mbappe/Neymar in Ligue 1.

England are definitely in the conversation for having the best attack. And once corrections are made for the French league, it's not much of a stretch to take the position that it's the best on current form.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Neymar/Firminho/Jesus?
Hazard/Lukaku/Mertens?
The only front 3 you have right there is Belgiums, and no, it's not as good as Englands. Brazil plays a front 3 of Neymar, Jesus and Willian while France's front 3 is M'Bappe, Giroud, and someone else (nobody has made it their position) with Griezmann playing in the #10. EIther way, I would take England's front 3 of Sancho, Kane and Sterling over all of them...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Agreed.

Throw CHO into the mix, and you've got 5 excellent young options to pick from up front.

The likes of Shaw, Gomez, Stones and TAA are all fantastic defenders. With WAB, Chilwell, Maguire as backups, I think we look fairly solid at the back.

Alli is as good a goal-scoring midfielder as anyone in Europe. Dier's decent and Rice has the potential to go all the way to the top. England could do with a bit more competition in the middle, but we've got loads of prospects ready to breakthrough (Foden, Cook, Gibbs-White, Gomes, etc).

It's in the goalie position that I think we have our biggest weakness. Pickford is a good shot stopper, but there's definite room for improvement there.
I'm starting to wonder if the "lack of a star" in the England midfield is actually making them better. Look at the "golden generation" and how good that midfield was on paper and because of that the manager just kept trying to squeeze them all in despite playing guys out of position. Now we have midfielders playing in their proper position and everyone puts in a shift. With that being said, I can't stand Henderson and can do with him out of the line up...

Dante

Average bang
I'm starting to wonder if the "lack of a star" in the England midfield is actually making them better. Look at the "golden generation" and how good that midfield was on paper and because of that the manager just kept trying to squeeze them all in despite playing guys out of position. Now we have midfielders playing in their proper position and everyone puts in a shift. With that being said, I can't stand Henderson and can do with him out of the line up...
Which is a bit ironic, when you think about it.

England's biggest weaknesses at the moment are in the box-to-box midfield role and in the goalkeeper position.

Over the last 3 or 4 decades, that's where they've always been strongest.

I think you're right about us not needing a Roy of The Rovers type. But a dependable passer to link Rice and Alli would be fantastic.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Which is a bit ironic, when you think about it.

England's biggest weaknesses at the moment are in the box-to-box midfield role and in the goalkeeper position.

Over the last 3 or 4 decades, that's where they've always been strongest.

I think you're right about us not needing a Roy of The Rovers type. But a dependable passer to link Rice and Alli would be fantastic.
That player will be Foden. But where does that leave Alli? Alli is most effective in a 4-2-3-1 when he is the #10. Foden is more of a #8 than a #6. So Rice as the DM with Foden and someone else, or keep Alli in and play Winks along side Rice...

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Neymar/Firminho/Jesus?
Hazard/Lukaku/Mertens?
It's definitely better on paper than Hazard/Lukaku/Mertens .. 100%, and for me better than Brazil too.

France might just edge it though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If you're a good player why does it matter where you play? He's was in the PL not long ago so we know what he's capable of. It's not as if he's in league one or two.
You need to be playing in major leagues in order to have a fair barometer of competence.

You need to be playing in major leagues in order to have a fair barometer of competence.
ROI have Randolph, McLean, Keogh and Stevens in their starting 11 and they all playing for championships team.

Yeah and Ireland are shite and have fewer options.
Well they didn't do too badly in the last Euros with the same set of players. It would be interesting to know how many other countries have this same philosophy.

haram

Well they didn't do too badly in the last Euros with the same set of players. It would be interesting to know how many other countries have this same philosophy.
Very much doubt national teams like Spain and Italy are picking players from the Segunda and Serie B.

haram

Isn't Jack Butland in the team? Also in the last break, he called up Mason Mount who plays in championship.
“I’m not going to say we won’t pick a player from the Championship because that could happen but it’s far more difficult to assess his level. You see certain parts of the game but not others. Not the physicality at times, nor the tactical discipline. That’s another level in the Premier League: the speed, the pace. So, he’s a player we know all about, he’s a player we track. But that last bit of evidence that could give you confidence to pick him at the moment we won’t see. But as an ex-Villa man I hope it’s not too long before we do see it.”

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
“I’m not going to say we won’t pick a player from the Championship because that could happen but it’s far more difficult to assess his level. You see certain parts of the game but not others. Not the physicality at times, nor the tactical discipline. That’s another level in the Premier League: the speed, the pace. So, he’s a player we know all about, he’s a player we track. But that last bit of evidence that could give you confidence to pick him at the moment we won’t see. But as an ex-Villa man I hope it’s not too long before we do see it.”
Logically might be correct but unfair on Villa. He is encouraging player to leave the club.

Wonder how did he assess Mason Mount when he called him up in Oct/November.

Btw Pavard played in Bundesliga 2 in 2016-17 season and in Nov 2017 he made his international debut.
Jonas Hector made his debut for Germany when he was playing in Bundesliga 2.

haram

Logically might be correct but unfair on Villa. He is encouraging player to leave the club.

Wonder how did he assess Mason Mount when he called him up in Oct/November.

Btw Pavard played in Bundesliga 2 in 2016-17 season and in Nov 2017 he made his international debut.
Jonas Hector made his debut for Germany when he was playing in Bundesliga 2.
True but I think it’s different calling up players for friendlies in comparison to qualifiers.

roonster09

Scout
True but I think it’s different calling up players for friendlies in comparison to qualifiers.
Hector made debut in Euro qualifying match. Mason Mount was called up for UEFA nations league game vs Croatia and Spain.

haram

Hector made debut in Euro qualifying match. Mason Mount was called up for UEFA nations league game vs Croatia and Spain.
Mount was called up but not capped. Nations League kind of replaced friendlies as well. I have my opinion on the level of the Bundesliga in general but that’s another debate.

roonster09

Scout
Mount was called up but not capped. Nations League kind of replaced friendlies as well. I have my opinion on the level of the Bundesliga in general but that’s another debate.
So the argument is about calling up isn't it?

haram

So the argument is about calling up isn't it?
No I said I think it’s different getting games for qualifiers over friendlies. I know the Nations League games aren’t exactly friendlies but they replaced them.

roonster09

Scout
No I said I think it’s different getting games for qualifiers over friendlies. I know the Nations League games aren’t exactly friendlies but they replaced them.
Think you are mixing up 2 arguments here.

Bigger or better National teams have given debuts to players based on their performance in second division (in qualifiers, not friendlies)
Mason Mount was called up for Nations league which is anything but friendly game.

Southgate should give different reasons instead of putting pressure on club and player, pressure on player to leave the club for one in PL. He could have just said he has lot of options and want to see how the players perform.

haram

Think you are mixing up 2 arguments here.

Bigger or better National teams have given debuts to players based on their performance in second division (in qualifiers, not friendlies)
Mason Mount was called up for Nations league which is anything but friendly game.

Southgate should give different reasons instead of putting pressure on club and player, pressure on player to leave the club for one in PL. He could have just said he has lot of options and want to see how the players perform.
There are no more friendlies because the Nations League replaced them though. I also avoided referring to the Bundesliga but like I said that’s another debate. I think maybe Verratti may have got his debut while at Pescara as well.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Slightly embarrassing that United have so little involvement in the England lineup now , what's worse is that it's not like we don't have English players but just that we have held on to a lot of average English players while England are going through a good era

Classical Mechanic

I'm sorry but I think that's ridiculous..

It’s interesting that on an England forum I lurk on many posters think Grealish is the truth and they want him in the side right now. I do rate him and think he will play for England one day but he needs to play in the Premier League so I agree with Southgate.

haram

Slightly embarrassing that United have so little involvement in the England lineup now , what's worse is that it's not like we don't have English players but just that we have held on to a lot of average English players while England are going through a good era
Shaw, Rashford and Lingard would be playing for England if fit.

Robindinho

Not including the likes of Gomes or Greenwood, we only actually have six...

Three of them would have been called up if not for being injured (Rashford, Lingard & Shaw). Then there’s Smalling who’s never going to get picked it seems under Southgate and Young/Jones.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Rashford, Shaw, Lingard and even Jones would be there if not for injury. That's 4 which is more than Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool and the same as Spurs.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
ROI have Randolph, McLean, Keogh and Stevens in their starting 11 and they all playing for championships team.
ROI have little choice. They can't build a squad out of Irish players in major leagues. We can.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rashford, Shaw, Lingard and even Jones would be there if not for injury. That's 4 which is more than Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool and the same as Spurs.
+ Smalling if not for Southgates bizzare hate of him.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
England are overhyped

I’d prefer if we had one or two more from the World Cup winners but United’s spread of nationalities is okay

Dante

Average bang
England are overhyped

I’d prefer if we had one or two more from the World Cup winners but United’s spread of nationalities is okay
What does that even mean? I get that you're bitter, but I struggle to see the overhyping.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
What does that even mean? I get that you're bitter, but I struggle to see the overhyping.
That describes it.

England have a very good side right now. And probably your best manager in years who actually has a clue about what he is trying to do.

Winning tournaments usually does come with some luck but this England team are contendors for sure.