England squad (Games against Czech Republic and Montenegro) | Rashford and Shaw called up

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I hoped for better from Southgate, but I'm worrying he's already falling into the habits of the past managers a bit. Quite a few players on current form should have made the squad, but they haven't. Don't care about Smalling as I'm not surprised, he seems to have chosen to be stubborn about that one. But Maddison not getting in when players like Barkley and Dier have is laughable.
Not sure why Barkley & Dier are automatic picks, I don't rate either one very highly

Yagami

Good post resistant
.............the attack is very strong though.
Bar Kane it's not that strong. Sterling is doing great for City but never plays well for England. Rashford's still inconsistent, and Sancho's still quite unknown in terms of how he'll perform on the international stage. Will he take his club form to England like Kane or turn rubbish like Sterling?

Minimalist

Only just remembered about the Smalling ignore again this time due to the BBC commentator mentioning it.

Is Southgate genuinely mentally ill or something? How in the name of christ is Smalling not one of the best defenders in the country? :lol:

Waistcoat wanker. Not that I care beyond Man Utd players getting their fair dues. England failing (as usual) does me fine.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Only just remembered about the Smalling ignore again this time due to the BBC commentator mentioning it.

Is Southgate genuinely mentally ill or something? How in the name of christ is Smalling not one of the best defenders in the country? :lol:

Waistcoat wanker. Not that I care beyond Man Utd players getting their fair dues. England failing (as usual) does me fine.
Pathetic, bitter post.

England did fantastically at the last world cup.

They have a very good, young team to build upon.

With the most sought after young talent in Europe coming through.

The future looks extremely bright.

Minimalist

Pathetic, bitter post.

England did fantastically at the last world cup.

They have a very good, young team to build upon.

With the most sought after young talent in Europe coming through.

The future looks extremely bright.
Aside from my last line (and that's my right, as I'm not English..) there's nothing bitter in my post you idiot. :lol:

BaseFishing

Slowly but surely Southgate is repeating the mistakes of the past. I really hate to see it. Smalling not getting the call-up reminds me so much of when Carrick used to be ignored by England for years, even though he's exactly what the team was crying out for.

Same with players like Maddison, Ward-Prowse, Wan-Bissaka, Winks.

When will an England manager actually start rewarding players for playing well, regardless of age, club, playing style, as opposed to picking favourites and sticking with them blindly, to the detriment of the national team.

Vadim

Shaw has dropped out. Surely not another fecking injury?

saivet

Slowly but surely Southgate is repeating the mistakes of the past. I really hate to see it. Smalling not getting the call-up reminds me so much of when Carrick used to be ignored by England for years, even though he's exactly what the team was crying out for.

When will an England manager actually start rewarding players for playing well, regardless of age, club, playing style, as opposed to picking favourites and sticking with them blindly, to the detriment of the national team.
Maddison has been in the squad before, Ward-Prowse just got called up (due to injury), AWB deserves a call up but Walker and TAA are fine choices and Winks is injured and probably a starter for Southgate.

I personally think some of these guys should stay with the u21s for the Euros in the summer.

BaseFishing

Maddison has been in the squad before, Ward-Prowse just got called up (due to injury), AWB deserves a call up but Walker and TAA are fine choices and Winks is injured and probably a starter for Southgate.

I personally think some of these guys should stay with the u21s for the Euros in the summer.
Fair enough, admittedly I'm probably still just a bit bitter about Carrick from before, and a little bit about Smalling currently.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Ward-Prowse and Hudson-Odoi called up as replacements for those who have dropped out with "injuries".
So Hudson-Odoi is Shaw's replacement :confused::lol::houllier:

A call-up for Hudson-Odoi to the Senior squad is so wrong in my opinion.

@saivet has already mentioned that....finally the FA sees the U21 Euros as a very important tournament therefore it's the right decision that Maddison and Wan-Bissaka are in the U21 squad.
Winks is currently not 100% fit but in my opinion he should be anyway another contender for the U21 squad and not the Senior squad.

Loftus-Cheek ahead of Ward-Prowse was a joke because Ward-Prowse plays better and Loftus-Cheek would have needed anyway a break because of his back injury.

steakpie

There's a good youtube video, I can't embed but the code is oSrs1drEOVE

Although the number of handshakes seems excessive

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bar Kane it's not that strong. Sterling is doing great for City but never plays well for England. Rashford's still inconsistent, and Sancho's still quite unknown in terms of how he'll perform on the international stage. Will he take his club form to England like Kane or turn rubbish like Sterling?
Thought Sterling and Rashford both did well in nations league so it could be clicking now e.g. add productivity to all the effort and running around.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
As much as I like watching Rashford for England, it's best if he doesn't play. He desperately needs that rest.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Thought Sterling and Rashford both did well in nations league so it could be clicking now e.g. add productivity to all the effort and running around.
I haven't watched too much of this Nations League so, yeah, I may be outdated with my opinion! I was basing it off the World Cup just gone mainly. Hopefully it clicks because - as good as he is - we can't expect Kane to carry our entire attack every game.

deadrevelz

Rashford, Shaw, Lukaku, Matic, Martial all injured.

Hopefully it's just precautions.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Liverpool right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold has withdrawn from the England squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Montenegro because of a back injury.

No player has been called up to replace the 20-year-old, leaving manager Gareth Southgate with a 22-man squad.

England said Alexander-Arnold arrived with a back injury and "despite progress" it was unlikely he would be able to play in either fixture.
Not like we don't have a few other young right backs that could easily replace him is it? :rolleyes: It's bizarre to me that at high levels of football there are still bloody silly decisions (He should have just been left out in the first place).

Judas

Open to offers
Pickford starting is a bit troubling, makes me feel like Southgate has his favourites and even if they’re off form he'll stay loyal to them. That line of thinking didn't do previous England managers any good, and it won't help him either. It's beyond a joke that Pickford is our number one.

Last edited:

saivet

Not sure why he even joined up in the first place.

Hope we get to see a front three of Sterling, Kane and Sancho.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pickford starting is a bit troubling, makes me feel like Southgate has his favourites and even on form he'll stay loyal to them. That line of thinking didn't do previous England managers any good, and it won't help him either. It's beyond a joke that Pickford is our number one.
I agree he's been dodgy last 3 months (two clean sheets v Liverpool and Chesea recently though). He has been solid for England though in the nations league so think that's part of Southgate's thinking e.g. his level might have dropped for Everton since WC but not me so he stays in until that happens.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
That front 3 of Sterling, Kane and Sancho is as good as any, if not the best front 3 in internationl football right now. Rashford should come off the bench. He's a striker, not a winger. Exciting times for England...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That front 3 of Sterling, Kane and Sancho is as good as any, if not the best front 3 in internationl football right now. Rashford should come off the bench. He's a striker, not a winger. Exciting times for England...
Neymar/Firminho/Jesus?
Mbappe/Griezmann/Dembele?
Hazard/Lukaku/Mertens?

Dante

Average bang
Agreed.

Throw CHO into the mix, and you've got 5 excellent young options to pick from up front.

The likes of Shaw, Gomez, Stones and TAA are all fantastic defenders. With WAB, Chilwell, Maguire as backups, I think we look fairly solid at the back.

Alli is as good a goal-scoring midfielder as anyone in Europe. Dier's decent and Rice has the potential to go all the way to the top. England could do with a bit more competition in the middle, but we've got loads of prospects ready to breakthrough (Foden, Cook, Gibbs-White, Gomes, etc).

It's in the goalie position that I think we have our biggest weakness. Pickford is a good shot stopper, but there's definite room for improvement there.