England Tour of India

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
excellent result for england but i think the real winners were the indian fans, getting to see what a true spin bowler looks like in hartley.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Wow.. just wow. What a game for Pope and Hartley.

Great day for test cricket with a gripping match at the Gabba as well, nothing beats the drama & suspense of test cricket.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
This is one of the craziest matches that I can remember. I can’t remember a turnaround like the one for Hartley in this match

IRN-BRUno

Remarkable. Long live test cricket!

Hopefully the rest of the series is as competitive as this match has been.

zing

Zingle balls
What were the odds after India’s first innings for an England win? Would have been some long odds.
Not often seen a team lose after putting up 400 in second innings.. very rare to see after a lead of 100.

Rams

If you consider how England have played since Stokes was made captain & McCullum head coach then you cannot be nothing other than astonished by the transformation. The batting in particular has been outstanding, so many different players contributing. They were in a terrible state just before Stokes & McCullum. They’re so positive and it’s great to watch.

MDFC Manager

I have no idea why the pitches are like that because India have a fantastic pace attack and a pitch which utilises both spin and pace will be great for them.
You're right but cricket in India is run by jokers

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Come on, Pope scored 196 on a pitch where barely anyone else scored 50. Easy motm.
Hartley scored 57 runs and took 9 wickets in the game. It's pretty bloody impressive.

JohnnyKills

This is one of the craziest matches that I can remember. I can’t remember a turnaround like the one for Hartley in this match
Was thinking that before. Has anyone improved more over the course of a single game than he has here?

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
India’s batting, notably the ability to play spin, has been declining for over a decade now. They’ve been bailed out by having their best ever bowling generation, if that doesn’t click they’re in trouble. Dravid and Rohit are so uninspiring, time for a serious rebuild. I know it sound knee-jerk but this has been coming and it’ll happen again.
Congrats to England though, massive win.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Hartley scored 57 runs and took 9 wickets in the game. It's pretty bloody impressive.
The 196 from Pope was the key contribution to the game. He deserves the man of the match.

Djemba-Djemba

Incredible win.

Next 4 pitches are going to raging turners but still, just to win a test in India is a great achievement and to win it when nearly 200 runs behind by the time we batted again. Sensational win.

zing

Zingle balls
Incredible win.

Next 4 pitches are going to raging turners but still, just to win a test in India is a great achievement and to win it when nearly 200 runs behind by the time we batted again. Sensational win.
I don't think so. Raging turners(like Chennai last tour) become big lotteries.

This was a turner. I think this was the right sub-continental pitch that plays to our strengths, and England were the better team. India will just need to get better at execution. I suspect we'll see a similar pitch in the next test.

zing

Zingle balls
My work stint in South Korea finishes at the end of Feb. Seriously considering flying over for the Dharamsala test if the series is alive.
I am mildly considering this idea as well

Maybe if we can get get enough people from this thread together and do a caf meetup.. we could go there and call people wastemen, and slag players off after the first innings

JohnnyKills

Incredible win.

India would be stupid to do that though. The more the pitches turn, the more it reduces India's skill advantage.

LDUred

Is it kneejerk to say that Pope's contributed one of the great test innings, there?

Considering the match situation, the challenges of the pitch, the averages and experience of the bowling attack, the rate at which he scored, etc, it's got to be up there.

It was an improbable win and Pope steadied the ship, marshalled the lower order (Foakes, Rehan, and Hartley all played their part lower down), and then turned the tables of India.

The only thing going slightly against it is the time in the series. The first test can feel like a free hit in some ways, because some teams don't bring their 'A' game to a first test in a five match series. That and not bringing up his double century. But it felt like an innings that added to test cricket's lustre, certainly.

Last edited:

NM

Is it kneejerk to say that Pope's contributed one of the great test innings, there?

Considering the match situation, the challenges of the pitch, the averages and experience of the bowling attack, the rate at which he scored, etc, it's got to be up there.

It was an improbable win and Pope steadied the ship, marshalled the lower order (Foakes, Rehan, and Hartley all played their part lower down), and then turned the tables of India.

The only thing going slightly against it is the time in the series. The first test can feel like a free hit in some ways, because some teams don't bring their 'A' game to a first test in a five match series. That and not bringing up his double century. But it felt like an innings that added to test cricket's lustre, certainly.
It was a great innings under very difficult circumstances. However, it will be remembered based off what happens next. If India smash England in the remaining tests it will be forgotten (unless our batsmen grow a pair, doubtful). If it's a close series / England win or England smashing India it will be remembered as an all time great inning.

Also depens on Pope's career. If it's so-so, nobody will remember this.

Tbh, India let that match go. Poor first inning batting (attacking shots galore for wickets + Ashwin runout) and poor catching. Then 4th inning is more psychological than anything else. Neverthless, Pope's knock was fantastic. How it will be remembered depends on what happens next.

zing

Zingle balls
Jadeja and Rahul are out of the next test. Our 2 best batters on form

The (fat) Indian Don Bradman has been called up.. 2-0 incoming

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Jadeja and Rahul are out of the next test. Our 2 best batters on form

The (fat) Indian Don Bradman has been called up.. 2-0 incoming
Who's this? :lol:

Rahul and Jadeja injured? Also been fairly disappointed with Gill and Iyer - over here in SA and they seem to be continuing some poor form. Admittedly haven't been following your test team much.

NM

Our team is in transition. A needed one but the new guys aren't as good.. let's see how it goes

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Rams

Jadeja would seem like a blow, for his fielding (!), batting and bowling. What a great player he is.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
So no Kohli, Rohit and Jadeja for India? Tough for India but good chance for someone to really stake their claim in the team.

zing

Zingle balls
It's Rahul I think thats ruled out so they will probably bring Khan in for him and maybe Kuldeep Yadav for Jadeja unless Indian fans can advise otherwise?
I think it's possible that you're right, but they've kept their options open with some of the call-ups today.

I don't think Safaraz plays for Rahul. Patidar is on the bench, was also in good form and is a top order batter. I would expect him to come in for Rahul. Safaraz bats lower middle order for Mumbai and that (supposedly) counted against him for selection all this while.

Jadeja's runs need to be replaced as Bharat is not great with the bat and is not a #6. They will drop Siraj and bring in a batter(Safaraz) or an all-rounder(Sundar).

It will be the weakest Indian team of 25+ years. I think we can still win, though. The players coming in are talented - as are Gill and Shreyas who are in a rough patch.

It's a shame Ruturaj is not fit. Also - it's really strange that they have parted ways with Pujara so dramatically -- he's piling on the runs in the domestic season and is one of our best spin batters of the last 10 years.