England Tour of India

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If it's a raging turner then Lawrence also becomes an option with the ball. He bowls off his wrong leg, odd bowler (and batsmen TBH).

We really need to win the toss.
Yeah there's no need for Bashir who looked bang average. Dan Lawrence strengthens their batting too and I don't think on raging turner, any team should need more than 3 spinners given the quality of exisiting spinners increases.

I hope India play Axar/Sundar - increases the batting strenght.

gajender

There’s a big difference between ‘eligible’ and ‘actually plays’. Our players like Virat, Rohit, KL, Jadeja play close to every match and then do a full ipl season.

Wood is on the bench half the time, Stokes didn’t play Odis, Woakes wasn’t even in the first 11 going into ashes and hardly plays away.
They all play IPL if they are fit but otherwise they are rested or allowed to miss lot of ODI as well as T20's .

Last edited:

KM

Seems like Cricinfo and Telegraph got it wrong.

Crawley, Duckett, Pope, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Foakes, Anderson, Hartley, Bashir, Robinson

I'm a bit surprised that they're going with Bashir

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
There’s a big difference between ‘eligible’ and ‘actually plays’. Our players like Virat, Rohit, KL, Jadeja play close to every match and then do a full ipl season.

Wood is on the bench half the time, Stokes didn’t play Odis, Woakes wasn’t even in the first 11 going into ashes and hardly plays away.
Needing to be rested sometimes doesn't mean you're not a 3 format player. Sounds like you really mean they just need to manage their fitness better.

KM

Needing to be rested sometimes doesn't mean you're not a 3 format player. Sounds like you really mean they just need to manage their fitness better.

Out of the list you mentioned Brooks and Bairstow are the only ones who make the XI of all three teams whereas Jadeja Kohli Rohit Bumrah Siraj are usually first choice in XI of all three formats.

Calling Woakes a three format player is weird when he doesn't play any away test matches.

TwoSheds

Out of the list you mentioned Brooks and Bairstow are the only ones who make the XI of all three teams whereas Jadeja Kohli Rohit Bumrah Siraj are usually first choice in XI of all three formats.

Calling Woakes a three format player is weird when he doesn't play any away test matches.
He's played plenty of away test matches which is how we know he's not good at them.

All I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with those guys being your first choices as long as you carefully plan when they can rest.

Darkhorsez

Seems like Cricinfo and Telegraph got it wrong.

Crawley, Duckett, Pope, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Foakes, Anderson, Hartley, Bashir, Robinson

I'm a bit surprised that they're going with Bashir
I think bigger surprise is Bairstow. In his current form

KM

He's played plenty of away test matches which is how we know he's not good at them.

All I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with those guys being your first choices as long as you carefully plan when they can rest.
and I'm saying that he isn't first choice in test matches anyway so he can play all three formats whereas say if India go to Australia next summer and there's a ODI/T20 world cup just two days after then the five i've mentioned will probably all the test matches and the world cup later.

Darkhorsez

It was always likely he wouldn’t be dropped, the method has always been to give players a chance to play back into form under McCullum and Stokes.
Fair enough but if you want to keep alive our Chances of winning the series, I would have replaced him with Woakes or Livingstone etc

TwoSheds

and I'm saying that he isn't first choice in test matches anyway so he can play all three formats whereas say if India go to Australia next summer and there's a ODI/T20 world cup just two days after then the five i've mentioned will probably all the test matches and the world cup later.
Well that would be stupid wouldn't it? You've enough good players to be able to rotate. You could also not plan test series 5 days before a world cup.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Not sure what else England can do apart from that selection.
I thought we may have gone with one seamer and either left Rehan in or played the extra batsmen. But no major qualms with this selection either.

TheGame

I thought we may have gone with one seamer and either left Rehan in or played the extra batsmen. But no major qualms with this selection either.
I think it’s best to leave Rehan out after the last test. So makes sense to go with Bashir and Robinson can normally hold down an end with the bat although not as good as Rehan with it.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
That picture of the pitch :lol:

If it looks like that tomorrow we have a two day test match coming up (we lose by an innings).

zing

Zingle balls
I think you're being tedious. It's pretty clear what @KM meant.

Indian players are under a lot more pressure to play. It's part of modern sport. Bumrah can't sit on the bench in the IPL to rest, nor can India rest Virat Kohli at will for away tours. It's the nature of the sport today and we aren't debating on a moral utopian high ground here.

TwoSheds

I think you're being tedious. It's pretty clear what @KM meant.

Indian players are under a lot more pressure to play. It's part of modern sport. Bumrah can't sit on the bench in the IPL to rest, nor can India rest Virat Kohli at will for away tours. It's the nature of the sport today and we aren't debating on a moral utopian high ground here.
:lol: maybe you should go outside.

Dan_F

Coming from someone who failed to live up to his potential because he seemed to shit the bed under pressure constantly. He’s an exact example of the kind of player who would benefit from the culture that Stokes is trying to build.

Would he prefer we produced the quality of players we did in the 90’s?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Coming from someone who failed to live up to his potential because he seemed to shit the bed under pressure constantly. He’s an exact example of the kind of player who would benefit from the culture that Stokes is trying to build.

Would he prefer we produced the quality of players we did in the 90’s?
No feckin way! Bazball rules!!

Dan_F

Couldn’t sleep so this is going to be the first morning I’ve watched of this series. Why is there about 100 fans there :lol:

zing

Zingle balls
Couldn’t sleep so this is going to be the first morning I’ve watched of this series. Why is there about 100 fans there :lol:
Always starts near empty. Been good crowds in this series.

There are lots of cities in India with stadiums, so while there isn't an explicit quota, they try to rotate a bit. Some cities get more matches due to political reasons(ie the city of the incumbent BCCI president may be favoured..)

During the world cup, the matches were mostly restricted to the big cities which are also the big test centres. They're making it up for the smaller cities now which is why the venues in this series have been the smaller ones. Vizag hosted the 2nd match and isn't known for its cricket.

The turn out till now in this series has been a bit surprising -- it's usually the likes of Chennai, Bangalore, Mumbai, Kolkata where you are certain to see test crowds.

KM

Damn, that was a great ball by Akashdeep. Shame that it was no ball. Hope Crawley doesn't make us pay for that.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Have the Indian Comms / media made any predictions on the pitch?

Our media don't have a clue, we are guessing.

Dan_F

Crawley :lol: Looks to be really struggling then ends up on 32 from 32.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Pitch looks okay right now.
Looks like a South African deck at the moment. Seam movement but also coming onto the bat.

Tuffnell and Agnew on BBC Sport saying it looks really tough. One with your name on it etc.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Rehan Ahmed has now left the tour for personal reasons and will not return.

Crazy tour for that stuff.

KM

Not sure if this is pitch or not but Akashdeep looks like a find.