England Tour of India

LDUred

You don't want to be getting out cheaply on this wicket in the first innings. Absolute road.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Big wicket for Jimmy, he's deserved that.

Really poor shot from Gill. England will be happy with this session now.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Hartley has bowled really poorly today. No consistency in length. Very tough pitch for a spinner to bowl on for now though.

India on top now. This deck has to be 450 par?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Surprised India haven't picked that lad who averages like 80.

Also quite glad Washington Sundar isn't playing. I don't really know how good he is, but he averaged something like 80 with the bat and 10 with the ball last time he played England. Having Axar at 6 is a lot less intimidating that having him come in at 9.

Edit: checked and he didn't get many wickets. Not sure why I misremembered thay
You mean the lad that averages 69 in first class cricket? Apparently he’s about the same size as Johnny Bairstow’s Dad and there’s some concerns about his professionalism on the fitness side I’ve been told by somebody who claims to be in the know.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Looks a bit of a road they’ve prepared. Anybody know how the pitches on this ground generally deteriorate? My concern for England would be Bumrah on this pitch getting it to reverse, he’s lethal.

zing

Zingle balls
You mean the lad that averages 69 in first class cricket? Apparently he’s about the same size as Johnny Bairstow’s Dad and there’s some concerns about his professionalism on the fitness side I’ve been told by somebody who claims to be in the know.
Last 3 years he averages like 86.. overall numbers look low as earlier he wasnt in this sort of purple patch

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is Rehan playing as a batting allrounder? I know England won with 4 spinners but still think the balance of the attack is off. You need to have 2 seamers for the variety.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Might be a pitch for a wrist spinner. Surprised it's been 54 overs with no Rehan. Suppose it's that flat he could go at 6s.

Trequarista10

Nice to see Rehan has picked up a fair share of overs, and actually the most economical spinner.

Samid

More than 90 overs bowled in a day?! Never thought I'd live to see the day.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
@fans of India? Plenty of you about when we were 2-0 down in the Ashes?

*Cheap dig - soz, but it is quiet in here!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Very intriguing day, and good start to the test.

Impeccable from Jaiswal. He looks elite. But England will be happy that India didn't get away on what is likely to be the best day for batting, and those late wickets will make them feel on top right now.

If England can restrict India to below 400 they'll be delighted.

Darkhorsez

In case anyone did not get to watch, this is good short summary of the day’s play from thr BBC (a former player):

A solid all-round performance from all of England's bowlers.
Shoaib Bashir, on debut, took 2-100 while Rehan Ahmed took 2-61, with James Anderson and Tom Hartley taking one each.
On a flat pitch having lost the toss, I was thinking that we were in for a heck of a long day. Again, Anderson continues to defy logic while the young spinners stood up to the occasion expertly.

zing

Zingle balls

At work.. haven't seen a delivery yet.. will be watching over the weekend

Our strategy of picking 2 batters doesn't seem to be working at first glance

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
At work.. haven't seen a delivery yet.. will be watching over the weekend

Our strategy of picking 2 batters doesn't seem to be working at first glance
A one man show today - but what an innings. India need him to make it a double century and a few more tomorrow.

This pitch will only deteriorate from day 3 onwards you would assume so England will need to bat very well first innings.

Bumrah / Ashwin will look different to our lads on this pitch as they are a class above.

ChrisNelson

That's a good total for India at the end of day one. Refreshed tomorrow, I don't expect them to make the same mistakes as they did before, even if they're under strength.

It has the look of a total which will just about be enough to make them favourites and put England on the back foot, with them also having to bat last on this occasion.

zing

Zingle balls
A one man show today - but what an innings. India need him to make it a double century and a few more tomorrow.

This pitch will only deteriorate from day 3 onwards you would assume so England will need to bat very well first innings.

Bumrah / Ashwin will look different to our lads on this pitch as they are a class above.
I agree with this. I see Cricinfo calling it England's day but with Jaiswal still there + our bowlers will improve this test + England batting last.. I think this is even right now.

The one thing definitely in England's favour(other than the scorecard where England have had the better day) is that your attacking style can put us out of the game on day 2/3. It comes off very well on flat pitches(I'm assuming this is one for now based on the comments here) and can win games.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Would have India in the lead at this stage, based on the assumption that they will get 450 at least and that England will have to bat last on this pitch. Also be interesting to see how England deal with Kuldeep as well.

NM

I agree with this. I see Cricinfo calling it England's day but with Jaiswal still there + our bowlers will improve this test + England batting last.. I think this is even right now.

The one thing definitely in England's favour(other than the scorecard where England have had the better day) is that your attacking style can put us out of the game on day 2/3. It comes off very well on flat pitches(I'm assuming this is one for now based on the comments here) and can win games.
Agree. Should be our day unless Bazball makes it look shit on Day 2 when England bat.

Really missing Kohli / Pujara who wouldn't give their wickets away. It's a young team, and it's learning. But with Rohit out of form, our batting is extremely brittle. No better chance for England to go 2-0 up..

Samid

I was wondering about that - how come they didnt stop at 90?
It's a minimum of 90 overs. So if you've got spinners on from both ends and rush through the overs you can go well beyond 90 overs before reaching the scheduled close of play.

zing

Zingle balls
It's a minimum of 90 overs. So if you've got spinners on from both ends and rush through the overs you can go well beyond 90 overs before reaching the scheduled close of play.
OK.. TIL the meaning of the word 'minimum' on all those scorecards

zing

Zingle balls
The witch hunt of Shubman Gill on Indian social media is insane

Trequarista10

I see a lot of parallels with India's current batting line up and England's from a few years ago. Big, experienced players out, out of form, or no longer selected. Kohli and Rohit both mid 30s, as are Pujara and Rahane who haven't had a look in. Is it fair to say it's a side in transition? Gill and Iyer are both young and fairly inexperienced at Test level, on paper seems they have made their name more in white ball? Success at Test level isn't a guarantee and isn't going to be instant. The classic 30 year journeyman/late bloomer selection is such a pre-Bazball England thing to do as well (Malan, Denly). However, Jaiswal looks like a generational talent who exceeds in all formats at a young age though. In a few years it looks like it will be a quality batting line up, but in the meantime it could really benefit from one or two more of the old guard to lead the way.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I see a lot of parallels with India's current batting line up and England's from a few years ago. Big, experienced players out, out of form, or no longer selected. Kohli and Rohit both mid 30s, as are Pujara and Rahane who haven't had a look in. Is it fair to say it's a side in transition? Gill and Iyer are both young and fairly inexperienced at Test level, on paper seems they have made their name more in white ball? Success at Test level isn't a guarantee and isn't going to be instant. The classic 30 year journeyman/late bloomer selection is such a pre-Bazball England thing to do as well (Malan, Denly). However, Jaiswal looks like a generational talent who exceeds in all formats at a young age though. In a few years it looks like it will be a quality batting line up, but in the meantime it could really benefit from one or two more of the old guard to lead the way.
Gill will come good - he's extremely talented. Iyer, I'm not so sure about, he's also 29 so isn't even that young. Shame we refuse to play Sarfaraz who has been ripping up the domestic league for a few years.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

I do like how we realised that rank turners might not be the way since we can't bat either. We threw it away at the end today so England just ahead.

zing

Zingle balls
We are definitely in transition but I expect us to field a pretty competitive batting lineup in a few years time. There are some players outside this 11 who are real contenders like Ruturaj and Varma. Gill is good - most indian batters who come good go through a stage of looking all at sea to the swinging ball. Virat went through it, Rohit did, KL did.

I think bowling is the real worry. India were lucky to produce a group of 3-4 good pacers which has never happened before. There are some promising ones on the horizon. Spin, however, there isn’t much now. From Ashwin/Jadeja to whomever comes next will be a big step down.

also, unpopularity for this thread, I think Shreyas Iyer is a great batter in Asian conditions and I expect he will be important for us. Don’t see him being useful away though.

TheGame

We are definitely in transition but I expect us to field a pretty competitive batting lineup in a few years time. There are some players outside this 11 who are real contenders like Ruturaj and Varma. Gill is good - most indian batters who come good go through a stage of looking all at sea to the swinging ball. Virat went through it, Rohit did, KL did.

I think bowling is the real worry. India were lucky to produce a group of 3-4 good pacers which has never happened before. There are some promising ones on the horizon. Spin, however, there isn’t much now. From Ashwin/Jadeja to whomever comes next will be a big step down.

also, unpopularity for this thread, I think Shreyas Iyer is a great batter in Asian conditions and I expect he will be important for us. Don’t see him being useful away though.
I was surprised to see your favourite batsmen the ‘Indian Don Bradman’ not playing in this match. :D

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
They’re already pitting Jaisawal against Gill like they do with every other pair of wonderfully talented cricketers and I find it very, very weird.

zing

Zingle balls
I was surprised to see your favourite batsmen the ‘Indian Don Bradman’ not playing in this match. :D
Me too - bit weird of us to pick another seamer

I was very curious to see Sarfaraz bat

But Mukesh has a good average in domestic cricket and I think he is a bit like Mohammed Abbas -- he might surprise us in this test

TheGame

Me too - bit weird of us to pick another seamer

I was very curious to see Sarfaraz bat

But Mukesh has a good average in domestic cricket and I think he is a bit like Mohammed Abbas -- he might surprise us in this test
Hasn’t he replaced Siraj though? And Kuldeep has replaced Jadeja so you’ve still got the same bowling balance as the first test. It’s Patidar who has come in instead of Sarfraz.

But in terms of bowling I see your point. Siraj was underbowled so if Kumar is the same then it’s a wasted spot where a batsmen could have played.