England Tour of India

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I think this about every great player in every team, with the exception of Australia. I’m more than happy to take one for the team and never see Steve Smith bat if it’s an Ashes test.
I love to watch him bat. He's a true artist. As long as we win.

zing

Zingle balls
Hope its nothing serious and we see him back soon.
Cricinfo is reporting that he came to Hyderabad for the first test squad and then left. That does sound a bit serious

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Shreyas Iyer out of the series..
Who do you think will replace him? Maybe a wee bit of a blessing in disguise. He’s not been in any good form recently, has he? What’s happened to Shaw as well - did he ever make it to the test squad? Is SKY not in the test fold currently either?

zing

Zingle balls
Who do you think will replace him? Maybe a wee bit of a blessing in disguise. He’s not been in any good form recently, has he? What’s happened to Shaw as well - did he ever make it to the test squad? Is SKY not in the test fold currently either?
KL will slot in for him - he's fit. Patidar will keep his place - he replaced KL for the last test.

Shaw has been poor for a few years now due to fitness, form (and supposedly attitude) issues. SKY isn't in the reckoning, he was given some opportunities based on his white ball form mostly and didn't look the part.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
KL will slot in for him - he's fit. Patidar will keep his place - he replaced KL for the last test.

Shaw has been poor for a few years now due to fitness, form (and supposedly attitude) issues. SKY isn't in the reckoning, he was given some opportunities based on his white ball form mostly and didn't look the part.
Thanks Zing.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Is this why India don't win tournaments? Influenced by individual brilliance instead of patterns of play.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Jack Leach out for the full series. India won’t have a better chance to beat England until they play them again in India in a few years. Almost a second string at this point.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Jack Leach out for the full series. India won’t have a better chance to beat England until they play them again in India in a few years. Almost a second string at this point.
I’m not even sure most people would have picked this spin attack as the 2nd choice option before the series started.

Trequarista10

Leach has had a rough time with injuries over the years. I suspect his England career will be done and dusted sooner rather than later. He'll be 33 next summer, and having a spinner that can't bat is a hindrance in a home series unless they're top class which Leach isn't. Hartley, Ahmed and Bashir potentially have long international careers ahead and I can't see England returning to Leach much more.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Leach has had a rough time with injuries over the years. I suspect his England career will be done and dusted sooner rather than later. He'll be 33 next summer, and having a spinner that can't bat is a hindrance in a home series unless they're top class which Leach isn't. Hartley, Ahmed and Bashir potentially have long international careers ahead and I can't see England returning to Leach much more.
Yep. Will be largely remembered for his 1 N/O.

ArmchairCritic

I have to admit I did think similar when I found out he was out but I can’t see McCullum/Stokes casting him aside like that, they value him a lot and have always been very clear he’s their first choice spinner.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I’m not even sure most people would have picked this spin attack as the 2nd choice option before the series started.
I think Key, McCullum and Stokes have completely changed the way England select the test squad in that they prioritize potential over form, we’ve already seen it in the selection of the batters (take Crawley for example).

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I think Key, McCullum and Stokes have completely changed the way England select the test squad in that they prioritize potential over form, we’ve already seen it in the selection of the batters (take Crawley for example).
Definetly taken it to a new extreme.

Did remind me of Vaughan and Trescothick a while back though. Both backed on vibes. Bazball style.

Trequarista10

I have to admit I did think similar when I found out he was out but I can’t see McCullum/Stokes casting him aside like that, they value him a lot and have always been very clear he’s their first choice spinner.
I agree they often speak about loyalty and have backed Leach (and others). Eventually it will expire though. Possibly not in the next 12 months, but not much after.

Ultimately they have to make tough decisions and let people go eventually. For example, they talk up Foakes as the best keeper but dropped him. It would have been interesting what team they would have selected if Brook didn't withdraw from the tour - one of Brook, Bairstow, Pope or Foakes would have been left out, and they talk up all of them.

With Leach, at home, if Hartley or Ahmed can do close to as good with the ball and can hit runs at number 8, whilst only needing to bowl 15-20 overs a match, it's a no brainer really. Last summer having Ali in the team really helped the balance of the side with Stokes not bowling. And there's a whole host of seam bowlers pushing to get into the team (although most seem to be injured half the time!), and having Leach at 10/11 also limits their opportunities.

I agree with you though I think they will stick with Leach probably for longer than they should. Hartley and Ahmed will play more white ball next summer, and eventually the decision will be forced if Leach's average is poor and/or he gets injured yet again, and if/when Hartley or Ahmed perform well in other formats/in the Championship.

zing

Zingle balls
News reports that Dhruv Jhurel will make his debut for Bharat

Fts 74

It's a real shame kohli is going too miss the rest of the series, I love his passion in the field,close to the line sometimes but adds a bit of needle and obviously he's an outstanding player.

I want to see India and England's best teams out there, disappointing there's been a few injuries, the series is nicely poised, hopefully England can continue to acquit themselves for the rest of the series, India still favourites obviously but England have a chance.

Roll on Thursday.

ArmchairCritic

The next test will be Stokes’ 100th. One of five players in the history of test cricket with 5000+ runs and 150+ wickets. Decent.

zing

Zingle balls
It's a real shame kohli is going too miss the rest of the series, I love his passion in the field,close to the line sometimes but adds a bit of needle and obviously he's an outstanding player.

I want to see India and England's best teams out there, disappointing there's been a few injuries, the series is nicely poised, hopefully England can continue to acquit themselves for the rest of the series, India still favourites obviously but England have a chance.

Roll on Thursday.
I think the players are a big point of difference for us, but at the same time, it was going to happen eventually due to some aging established players(Pujara, Rahane, Virat, Rohit) and India need to transition into a new batting order. It just happened sooner and without choice. I don't think we should make excuses - some version of this team will be taking the field in the near future.

But favourites, we're not when we line-up like this: Rohit, Jaiswal, Gill, Patidar, Sarfaraz, Jadeja, Jhurel.

I think it's even on paper, but would back us. In the sub-continent in the first dig, you can win games with one guy going off because the conditions can be favourable to batting. I think in Rohit, Jaiswal and Gill we have 1 good knock every inning.

ArmchairCritic

I think the players are a big point of difference for us, but at the same time, it was going to happen eventually due to some aging established players(Pujara, Rahane, Virat, Rohit) and India need to transition into a new batting order. It just happened sooner and without choice. I don't think we should make excuses - some version of this team will be taking the field in the near future.

But favourites, we're not when we line-up like this: Rohit, Jaiswal, Gill, Patidar, Sarfaraz, Jadeja, Jhurel.

I think it's even on paper, but would back us. In the sub-continent in the first dig, you can win games with one guy going off because the conditions can be favourable to batting. I think in Rohit, Jaiswal and Gill we have 1 good knock every inning.
Rookie middle order vs a rookie spin attack, you still have to make the home team favourites I think.

zing

Zingle balls
Rookie middle order vs a rookie spin attack, you still have to make the home team favourites I think.
I’ve changed my mind on home pitches. I never liked us putting out raging turners but it’s now clear to me now that the level required by spinners to be competitive is clearly much lower than the equivalent for fast bowlers, given favourable conditions.

If India had taken to England the bowling equivalent of what England have brought here - three guys from the Ranji trophy with five games between them - they’d have taken a battering. And in fact, I’ve seen tests like that with more experienced Indian pace bowlers where Cook piled on 294 as an example.

I think Ashwin and Jadeja are still special but the level of skill required to be median competitive isn’t that high. Ashwins record should be evaluated through that lens and it’s not clear to me what that does to his legacy.

Hartley, Rehan and Bashir shouldn’t be able to compete, and yet here we are.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
India are still huge favourites with bookmakers.

England deserve credit already for making this series feel like it's not an obvious call.

I hope the rest of the series can live up to the first two tests with a few big names missing. Gutted about Kohli.

Trequarista10

England have picked Wood and Anderson for this one, leaving Bashir out. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Also had a thought that I don't think has been mentioned much or at all. How much can Joe Root's lack of runs be attributed to bowling so much? Surely it must have some level of impact, exhausting mental and physical energy, that it must have some influence on his batting. I hope in this one we see him bowl a bit less.

NM

I’ve changed my mind on home pitches. I never liked us putting out raging turners but it’s now clear to me now that the level required by spinners to be competitive is clearly much lower than the equivalent for fast bowlers, given favourable conditions.

If India had taken to England the bowling equivalent of what England have brought here - three guys from the Ranji trophy with five games between them - they’d have taken a battering. And in fact, I’ve seen tests like that with more experienced Indian pace bowlers where Cook piled on 294 as an example.

I think Ashwin and Jadeja are still special but the level of skill required to be median competitive isn’t that high. Ashwins record should be evaluated through that lens and it’s not clear to me what that does to his legacy.

Hartley, Rehan and Bashir shouldn’t be able to compete, and yet here we are.
Not sure I agree. India's batting is IMO absolutely trash. Rohit isn't a test opener. Jaiswal is a rookie. Gill isn't a test batter (yet). The rest of the middle order are all rookies.. To me, it's an indictment of how bad India's planning and injuries have been. If we had Pujara (who should have been recalled) we would not lose the first test imo.

BCCI is crap

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Not sure I agree. India's batting is IMO absolutely trash. Rohit isn't a test opener. Jaiswal is a rookie. Gill isn't a test batter (yet). The rest of the middle order are all rookies.. To me, it's an indictment of how bad India's planning and injuries have been. If we had Pujara (who should have been recalled) we would not lose the first test imo.

BCCI is crap
If Shaw wasn't an idiot then he'd be a guaranteed fixture at the top. I mentioned before but Sarfaraz absolutely deserves a chance and Padikkal, too. It's probably time to move on from Pujara anyway. Largely agree though our batting has been shit for ages.

zing

Zingle balls
Stokes playing his 100th surprised me. I think it's because I have an indo-centric view where getting to 100 tests is a rare achievement reserved for durable/stodgy players. I looked up the list of most matches and saw that Bairstow has 97 tests.. that’s a bit weird

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Hearing stuff about a grassy pitch, though probably not like a green pitch on an overcast cool day in Headingley I guess. Bumrah the danger man for England? Been the best player so far this series.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Stokes playing his 100th surprised me. I think it's because I have an indo-centric view where getting to 100 tests is a rare achievement reserved for durable/stodgy players. I looked up the list of most matches and saw that Bairstow has 97 tests.. that’s a bit weird
Tbf Stokes is only the 16th from England to do this. Australia with 15 and India with 13 aren’t far behind. As for Bairstow it’s been a running joke that when he plays 100 he will be the worst cricketer to play 100 tests

zing

Zingle balls
Lots of changes for India. Pretty good line-ups from both and interested to see how it goes

Axar being benched surprised me - he's like our 3rd best batter

Quite happy for Sarfaraz - no idea what his career will bel ike but he deserves the 1 cap for the mountains of runs he's piled on

Jurel is an unknown quantity and I've seen him play only in the IPL a couple of times for like 20 balls and he's a great stroke maker(which is why he gets ahead of Bharat), but it is the keeping that will be tested here

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Our middle order of Patidar, Sarfaraz and Jurel has a grand total experience of 1 test match.

I've never ever seen a less experienced batting line-up for India ever in test matches. England have a golden chance.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Lots of changes for India. Pretty good line-ups from both and interested to see how it goes

Axar being benched surprised me - he's like our 3rd best batter

Quite happy for Sarfaraz - no idea what his career will bel ike but he deserves the 1 cap for the mountains of runs he's piled on

Jurel is an unknown quantity and I've seen him play only in the IPL a couple of times for like 20 balls and he's a great stroke maker(which is why he gets ahead of Bharat), but it is the keeping that will be tested here
Good to see them sticking with Kuldeep. One of the most skillful spinners in the world right now.

Trequarista10

Have a bet on Wood to get 3+ wickets in the first innings, couldn't have asked for a better start :lol: