England Tour of India

JohnnyKills

Get in Root.

Man needed that.
It's not just the 104 runs (at time of writing). It's the 222 balls.

If we win this test (and it's a massive if), we'll need him in the last test, and the middle-time he's getting here will be vital when Bumrah returns.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If England got to 350 I think they'd be big favourites. 300 is not a bad score but with the quality in the Indian batting lineup I'd expect them to surpass it.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Such a weird pitch. Looked completely flat after the first session.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
350 puts India under huge pressure
If England got to 350 I think they'd be big favourites. 300 is not a bad score but with the quality in the Indian batting lineup I'd expect them to surpass it.
350 would be a tremendous score, especially coming from 112-5.

If today had another hour you feel like these two would get there, but coming back tomorrow... one of them will probably get out in the first over.

JohnnyKills

Even if they get a lead of, say, 50, they're going to have to bat last. I think ENG are in a great position, without wishing to jinx anything.

JohnnyKills

Giving an over to Jaiswal is a poor call by Rohit. Every run will be precious on this pitch.

TheGame

Just glad to see England show some fight after those 5 wickets went down. Could have easily ended 150 all out but great to see Root showing his class and some useful runs from the lower order.

KM

In comparison sure but for a first day wicket it's still showing signs of doing plenty.
Like when?
5 wickets out of 7 have been taken by pacers. For spinners it not doing plenty by any stretch of imagination ..

KM

Jadeja and Ashwin were still getting some purchase from the pitch with some deliveries so something there for the bowlers but we won’t truly know until both sides have batted.
Yes but not the uneven pitch it looked after the Stokes wicket.

TwoSheds

350 would be a tremendous score, especially coming from 112-5.

If today had another hour you feel like these two would get there, but coming back tomorrow... one of them will probably get out in the first over.
Tend to agree. Still, there are 2 more batsmen in the hutch even if they're not the most skilled around, any progress made tomorrow will be important.

SmallCaine

This pitch is nowhere near crumbling and nor as difficult as England made it look in the morning so Indian batting should not be counted out just yet but we have royally shit the bed here, horrendous reviews and stupid defensive capataincy has fecked us over here. None of jadeja ashwin or siraj should ever be listened to on reviews. Advantage England as of now.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Tend to agree. Still, there are 2 more batsmen in the hutch even if they're not the most skilled around, any progress made tomorrow will be important.
Barely. I'd say England have two number 12s to come in.

Heart always sinks when you see someone batting lower than Anderson :lol:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
This pitch is nowhere near crumbling and nor as difficult as England made it look in the morning so Indian batting should not be counted out just yet but we have royally shit the bed here, horrendous reviews and stupid defensive capataincy has fecked us over here. None of jadeja ashwin or siraj should ever be listened to on reviews. Advantage England as of now.
India bowled well and the pitch did a bit. It's not rocket science.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Great to see Root playing his natural game. Sticking there and holding things together is exactly what he's so good at and what we need him for.
I've noticed a few saying this as if he's been bazballing every week?

He was out of form and then that one shit shot seems to have caused a strange frenzy!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

He was out of form and then that one shit shot seems to have caused a strange frenzy!
Nah, look at his averages and how he's got himself out recently.

That's more than just form imo - he was trying to force a new way of playing that wasn't working/up to his usual high standard.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Nah, look at his averages and how he's got himself out recently.

That's more than just form imo - he was trying to force a new way of playing that wasn't working/up to his usual high standard.
Averaged 66 last year and more under Bazball than prior to it...?

SmallCaine

India bowled well and the pitch did a bit. It's not rocket science.
Bowling was fine post lunch as well for most part, it was the captaincy that was the problem, could anyone explain wtf sarfaraz was expected to do standing where he was for spinners, fact that we didn't start with either pacer in the 2nd session was criminal.

Fts 74

Brilliant from Root with excellent contributions from Foakes and Robinson.The criticism Root has received has been over the top so happy to see him get a hundred a wonderful player.

350 would be very good considering England were 112/5, a very strange pitch be interesting to see how it behaves when India bat.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

The shot was shit, but he hasn't been in great form for a while. I think I posted about how the last few series have gone in a previous post, during the last Test.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Averaged 66 last year and more under Bazball than prior to it...?
He was also averaging low 20s this year before today, and his ODI form has dipped - averaged around 20 the last two years (although that's been the case for a while now).

Immaterial though really - he's a mainstay for England whilst he's playing and we're lucky to have him.

Obviously I don't know what he's being instructed to do but I think his role should be to stabilize the top order and allow them to play their new exciting way, joining when he sees fit.

That may always have been the case but I can't remember seeing him "play the situation" like he has today under Stokes. It's good to see.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Dissapointed Crawley didn't say we already have enough to win this by an innings.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think India will get 450 at least so ideally England need to get as close to 400 as they can and hope to go big in the 3rd innings

TwoSheds

I think India will get 450 at least so ideally England need to get as close to 400 as they can and hope to go big in the 3rd innings
450 would be an incredible innings. I could see see them getting 350-400 but I don't see this pitch holding together the whole test, seems unlikely they could get a big lead.

Counterfactual

"When Root drove Deep for four, he reached his hundred from 219 deliveries, the slowest by any England batter since captain Stokes and coach Brendon McCullum took charge. "

Wow. Boycott used to call 219 deliveries getting your eye in!

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
"When Root drove Deep for four, he reached his hundred from 219 deliveries, the slowest by any England batter since captain Stokes and coach Brendon McCullum took charge. "

Wow. Boycott used to call 219 deliveries getting your eye in!
Yep very normal strike rate even by modern standards.