England v India 2021 Cricket Test Series

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The good thing is neither of these teams being able to bat gives us a chance of some results despite lost overs.

Your first rodeo?

That week of sun at the end of July was our summer.
And what a summer it was.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
If your wicket keeper doesn’t fancy a caught behind review I’m always verging on the side of listening to him

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
You can see why India went for Jadeja over Ashwin, it's probably more essential having him as a batsman and fielder than Ashwin's spin here.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Dropped catches, missed run outs, poor reviews - all symptoms of a team in a mess at the moment.

JohnnyKills

Should still be a winning lead this. 49 plus whatever the last two wickets can rustle up.

JohnnyKills

This is where England will miss the pace bowler. No point picking Curran if he's not going to bowl.

Edit: And... here's Curran!

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
the lead is pretty big, but even more than that, allowing the opposing tail to score is a bad omen for any side.

LDUred

This is a poor England side but Root's captaincy is verging on comedy gold. I can't believe he still has the faith of the selectors and the Australians must be licking their lips at the prospect of the upcoming series.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
This isn't a great England side but Root's captaincy is abject. I can't believe he stills has the faith of the selectors and the Australians must be licking their lips at the prospect of the upcoming series.
Root and Silverwood look like a hopeless double act.

This test match could get very embarrassing.

LDUred

If Hameed doesn't come in to the side for the next test I swear I am going to lose the plot. Although in saying that he's probably better off out of this shambles.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
If Hameed doesn't come in to the side for the next test I swear I am going to lose the plot. Although in saying that he's probably better off out of this shambles.
Unless Sibley shows anything in this knock he will be getting a 'rest'.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Not sure how Root & Silverwood sat down before the match and thought that this was the best 11 England can pick for a test match. Silverwood has all the power now and is absolutely clueless . This is like the 8th test in a row where the selection makes no sense at all . How can Curran be your fourth choice in a team with no Stokes and having Anderson , Broad and Robinson as your first 3 . You are basically picking 7 batsmen and then even your number 8 is in the team because he can bat a bit even though his bowling is pretty average

Aint gota Kalou

Not sure how Root & Silverwood sat down before the match and thought that this was the best 11 England can pick for a test match. Silverwood has all the power now and is absolutely clueless . This is like the 8th test in a row where the selection makes no sense at all . How can Curran be your fourth choice in a team with no Stokes and having Anderson , Broad and Robinson as your first 3 . You are basically picking 7 batsmen and then even your number 8 is in the team because he can bat a bit even though his bowling is pretty average
Who do you pick with no Stokes or Woakes? Moeen could've played as a batting spin option but I don't really think there's too many options without picking a player who is hopeless with the bat.

We need all the batting we can.

Dan_F

I missed this afternoons session, but you can’t help thinking that Root might as well just come out after tea, because he’ll be in soon enough.

FlawlessThaw

Who do you pick with no Stokes or Woakes? Moeen could've played as a batting spin option but I don't really think there's too many options without picking a player who is hopeless with the bat.

Moeen definitely should have played instead of Lawrence to give that extra spin/allround option when Stokes pulled out. But I think he wasn't considered because England know he's not an option for the Ashes

JohnnyKills

Mahmood or Wood surely.

No need for four 82mph seamers. Pick a genuine pacer - at the very least they can clean up the tail.

JohnnyKills

This is a poor England side but Root's captaincy is verging on comedy gold. I can't believe he still has the faith of the selectors and the Australians must be licking their lips at the prospect of the upcoming series.
Not a poor side but definitely struggling atm. All the withdrawals and rotation have created a complete mess. And we've lost our best player for the summer which is a massive blow.

Root will be gone after the Ashes I reckon.

AshRK

Never understood the logic of having full 40 minute lunch and full 20 minute Tea break when overs can be covered during that time. These rigid rules in cricket when so many new innovations are being made just makes these look idiotic.

Aint gota Kalou

Mahmood or Wood surely.

No need for four 82mph seamers. Pick a genuine pacer - at the very least they can clean up the tail.
Yeah I see that logic but our batting is ridiculously light with those 4 steamers. At least Curran is a good bat, got some vital runs first innings. Maybe one of Broad or Anderson should go?

Either way, main issue as per is the top order. I only really think Crawley has enough talent to really cement a place.

JohnnyKills

Yeah I see that logic but our batting is ridiculously light with those 4 steamers. At least Curran is a good bat, got some vital runs first innings. Maybe one of Broad or Anderson should go?

Either way, main issue as per is the top order. I only really think Crawley has enough talent to really cement a place.
Agree. At least he shapes up well and looks like he could crack it.

FlawlessThaw

Root’s only defence is there is almost no one else who could come in and captain instead.

Can’t even think of anyone who is a lock in the first XI and could captain instead.

Balljy

Root’s only defence is there is almost no one else who could come in and captain instead.

Can’t even think of anyone who is a lock in the first XI and could captain instead.
Burns is a good & well tried captain and won't get dropped before the ashes.

Dan_F

Never understood the logic of having full 40 minute lunch and full 20 minute Tea break when overs can be covered during that time. These rigid rules in cricket when so many new innovations are being made just makes these look idiotic.
Yeah I agree. I think we are due some radical changes in test cricket to be honest. Of course there’s nothing that can be done about the rain, but like you said, there’s things that can be done to speed things up.

I thought about potential changes after the review that England used for the edge that never was. Why does a team even need to review a potential edge. Umpires check run outs and catches if they’re not sure, why should edges be different.

Dan_F

It really does feel like watching England in the 90s. Absolutely zero joy in watching them bat, you just spend the whole time waiting for someone to edge one.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Good that these guys are getting a proper chance , they will probably come good at some point in 2024 at least

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Horrid full toss from Bumrah. Sibley clunks it to mid on.

Sums it up really. Never seen someone at this level without any scoring options.

Nico87

Just got back from work so I missed the morning session, 119-2 looks fairly respectable. How has it actually looked when watching it unfold?

Trequarista10

Just got back from work so I missed the morning session, 119-2 looks fairly respectable. How has it actually looked when watching it unfold?
Since Root came in its been fine, neither look under much pressure or threat from the bowling. Sibley's strike rate is appalling though. Blocking or hitting it straight to the fielder. Root looks in majestic form and full of confidence on the other hand, but how often does he get into the 60s or so playing great and then get out rather than push on and getting a match defining score.

If one of these get out soon it will spark a collapse most likely. If we can get a lead of around 100 with this partnership hopefully it will take pressure off the next guys coming in and may make a collapse somewhat less likely.

Last edited:

Nico87

Since Root came in its been fine, neither look under much pressure or threat from the bowling. Sibley's strike rate is appalling though. Blocking or hitting it straight to the fielder. Root looks in majestic form and full of confidence on the other hand, but how often does he get into the 60s or so playing great and then get out rather than push on and getting a match defining score.

If one of these get out soon it will spark a collapse most likely. If we can get a lead of around 100 with this partnership hopefully it will take pressure off the next guys coming in and may make a collapse somewhat less likely.
cheers!

crazy to think he got a contract for the 100!

Trequarista10

cheers!

crazy to think he got a contract for the 100!
And he's out attempting a big drive! Should have stuck to leaving anything outside off stump :lol:

Next partnership is crucial IMO. Our two most experienced batsmen at the crease. If they can add a decent number of runs the game is still in the balance, if they don't its game over most likely.