England v India 2021 Cricket Test Series

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
You watch a day like this and wonder how Sibley is going to get a big score if he struggled to score so much on a day when pretty much everyone else has scored at a decent rate

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
You watch a day like this and wonder how Sibley is going to get a big score if he struggled to score so much on a day when pretty much everyone else has scored at a decent rate
Never been impressed with him the few times I’ve seen him. He looks so clumsy when batting & I never get the impression he’s going to do anything other than eventually get out.

Dan_F

Blame me for that one. I’d just sat down to watch. Not sure how the pitch has played since lunch, but England still look 50 runs short of putting any serious pressure on.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Big wicket with the new ball. England effectively 186/7. Anything below 250 and India should be favorites.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Big wicket with the new ball. England effectively 186/7. Anything below 250 and India should be favorites.
Looking at the forecast the morning session looks in doubt. Heading towards a draw if England play out the overs tonight.

Dan_F

Looking at the forecast the morning session looks in doubt. Heading towards a draw if England play out the overs tonight.
You’d think that would've been the aim, but they’ll just try and smash it around and get out quickly now.

Skills

Snitch
Shamis not the bowler for English test conditions. Get BK in

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Weather permitting, India should win this.

zing

Zingle balls
I remember posting here last series thinking Anderson was past it.

he’s bowling beautifully again. Truly a treasure of the game and won’t be another like him. Seen him go through this spell for over a decade now.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
India have this you feel.

Broad needs to justify his selection, at least Curran got some runs in.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If Rahul makes it tomorrow he will have batted on all five days of a test. Incredible stat, can anyone recall when it's happened before?

I've probably just jinxed him.

Samid

If Rahul makes it tomorrow he will have batted on all five days of a test. Incredible stat, can anyone recall when it's happened before?
ML Jaisimha Vs Australia, 1960
Sir Geoffrey Boycott Vs Australia, 1977
Kim Hughes Vs England, 1980
Allan Lamb Vs West Indies, 1984
Ravi Shastri Vs England, 1984
Adrian Griffith Vs New Zealand, 1999
Andrew Flintoff Vs India, 2006
Alviro Peterson Vs New Zealand, 2012
Cheteshwar Pujara Vs Sri Lanka, 2017
Rory Burns Vs Australia, 2019

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
ML Jaisimha Vs Australia, 1960
Sir Geoffrey Boycott Vs Australia, 1977
Kim Hughes Vs England, 1980
Allan Lamb Vs West Indies, 1984
Ravi Shastri Vs England, 1984
Adrian Griffith Vs New Zealand, 1999
Andrew Flintoff Vs India, 2006
Alviro Peterson Vs New Zealand, 2012
Cheteshwar Pujara Vs Sri Lanka, 2017
Rory Burns Vs Australia, 2019
Cheers. Can't recall the Flintoff or Pujara ones for some reason. The others I probably wasn't watching for various reasons.

zing

Zingle balls

I've probably just jinxed him.
I’ll give you that wicket.

JohnnyKills

Just watched the highlights (am out of the UK atm). Root's celebration with the crowd cheering is an amazing moment. One of the great innings.

Bumrah is some bowler though isn't he. When he came on the scene I didn't think a bowler with that kind of action could succeed but wow. Swing and seam with the new ball, bouncers, yorkers... He's got everything.

iKnowNothing

What’s the weather prediction for day 5? I think there’s going to be a bit of a twist in the tale on day 5 and it won’t be as easy for India (weather permitting of course)

Dan_F

What’s the weather prediction for day 5? I think there’s going to be a bit of a twist in the tale on day 5 and it won’t be as easy for India (weather permitting of course)
They were saying rain in the first session, but it doesn’t really say that on my weather app. It shows small showers in the afternoon. Plenty of time for India to score 150 runs at the rate they score at.

I think the damage was done last night and India managed to take the small chance of an England win out of the equation.

JohnnyKills

They were saying rain in the first session, but it doesn’t really say that on my weather app. It shows small showers in the afternoon. Plenty of time for India to score 150 runs at the rate they score at.

I think the damage was done last night and India managed to take the small chance of an England win out of the equation.
Yeah it does feel like that flurry of runs was crucial. Really eaten into the target.

Trequarista10

I was thinking about this and looked up some numbers. Given his strike rate is usually around 25-30, then he would need to face about 150+ balls per innings on average to get a reasonable average. That's a huge number of balls, and there's always going to be the occasional ball that is unplayable, or a poor shot choice like yesterday.

The most runs faced per innings on average by anyone who played in the last 20 years was Dravid, at either 112 or 123 depending on what source you believe. Very few players faced more than 100 on average and a lot of all time greats faced less than 100. So Sibley, at his strike rate, would essentially need to be best defensive player of all time, to get even a half decent average. That's never going to happen, so he needs to get back to County and in the nets and add a few more shots to his game.

Last edited:

Balljy

I was thinking about this and looked up some numbers. Given his strike rate is usually around 25-30, then he would need to face about 150+ balls per innings on average to get a reasonable average. That's a huge number of balls, and there's always going to be the occasional ball that is unplayable, or a poor shot choice like yesterday.

The most runs faced per innings on average by anyone who played in the last 20 years was Dravid, at either 112 or 123 depending on what source you believe. Very few players faced more than 100 on average and a lot of all time greats faced less than 100. So Sibley, at his strike rate, would essentially need to be best defensive player of all time, to get even a half decent average. That's never going to happen, so he needs to get back to County and in the nets and add a few more shots to his game.
That sort of player is OK in test cricket, but you have to stay in for days. A certain someone made a decent career out of it.

Trequarista10

That sort of player is OK in test cricket, but you have to stay in for days. A certain someone made a decent career out of it.

Yeah, if he could average even 35 runs then Sibley would be very useful for us, especially as we have an attacking batting lineup and nobody who can play the new ball well. However an average of 35 would need Sibley to face about 140-160 balls an innings, and that ain't happening. Boycott faced 122 balls on average, and averaged 47 runs.

Sibley makes Boycott look like Sehwag.

Samid

Yeah, if he could average even 35 runs then Sibley would be very useful for us, especially as we have an attacking batting lineup and nobody who can play the new ball well. However an average of 35 would need Sibley to face about 140-160 balls an innings, and that ain't happening. Boycott faced 122 balls on average, and averaged 47 runs.

Sibley makes Boycott look like Sehwag.
Where are you getting those numbers from? Sibley's SR is 35 so he'd 'only' need to play 100 balls for 35 runs.

Balljy

Yeah, if he could average even 35 runs then Sibley would be very useful for us, especially as we have an attacking batting lineup and nobody who can play the new ball well. However an average of 35 would need Sibley to face about 140-160 balls an innings, and that ain't happening. Boycott faced 122 on average.
I agree with you, but you can't take Boycott's stats at face value. His strike rate is penned at somewhere between 31 and 35 but a lot of first class cricket wasn't recorded to that level at the time (which is why you were right comparing to the last 20 years when you can do a direct comparison).

I don't understand why he'd need to face 140 balls though with Sibleys SR?