England/ your NT winning EURO vs United winning treble next season

Would you rather United win a treble or your country wins an international tournament?

• Total voters

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I find it strange how many people take no interest or actually don’t like their country team.

I grew up representing, school, town, county etc playing sport, representing the country was the pinnacle. Seeing these boys play for Wales now I can’t help but fall in love with it and want them to do well, you can see the passion they play with and I think Uniteds players effort and passion doesn’t come close.

It’s a much more tense affair for me watching Wales than United with a higher reward when things go well.
Can't believe we actually 100% agree on something :D

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
On one hand, I don't care much for Manchester United...

But on the other hand, Canada can't even qualify for the Euros.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don't give a shit about united winning the treble

Let's italy win these euros :drool: :drool: :drool:

acnumber9

I’m from Northern Ireland. I’m not sure which of these two options is the most unrealistic.

Varun

Staff
India is shit at football + not in the Euros so I'm thinking more like India winning the Cricket WC vs Utd treble here and feck the treble, I'd take a simple CL or league win over the Cricket WC

stevoc

How is it antiquated (club football is older) and why should it be phased out? Viewing figures are massive and it's hugely important to millions around the world.
There is too much football as it is and international tournaments and friendlies add to an ever expanding football calendar. As we go forward there will only be more and more pointless friendlies and there's already talk of having the World Cup and Euro's every two years instead of 4. So a tournament every summer eventually and all to generate more money for those that run the game.

Add in the corruption that surrounds the awarding of Tournaments to countries like Qatar who have no business hosting a traditional International summer football tournament.

If you and others like it fair enough. Personally I think football would be better off without it, or at the very least in a much more scaled down format.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
There is too much football as it is and international tournaments and friendlies add to an ever expanding football calendar. As we go forward there will only be more and more pointless friendlies and there's already talk of having the World Cup and Euro's every two years instead of 4. So a tournament every summer eventually and all to generate more money for those that run the game.

Add in the corruption that surrounds the awarding of Tournaments to countries like Qatar who have no business hosting a traditional International summer football tournament.

If you and others like it fair enough. Personally I think football would be better off without it, or at the very least in a much more scaled down format.
You could say the exact same thing about club competitions.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

It’s the champions / Europa league and such competitions that need to be scaled down creating too many games.

The League of Nations has been a lot more Interesting than meaningless friendlies in my opinion, at least there’s something to play for even if the they do seem like glorified friendlies.

corruption for tournaments I agree with, I suppose that happens for major club finals too though.

none of your points back up your out dated view do they?

stevoc

It’s the champions / Europa league and such competitions that need to be scaled down creating too many games.

The League of Nations has been a lot more Interesting than meaningless friendlies in my opinion, at least there’s something to play for even if the they do seem like glorified friendlies.
The league of nations is basically an attempt to emulate the Champions League format.

I wouldn't be against scaling down the CL/EL either but I don't see it happening.

corruption for tournaments I agree with, I suppose that happens for major club finals too though.

none of your points back up your out dated view do they?
Do they have to?

Don't wan't to get involved in an off topic saga but for what it's worth the idea of countries playing each other in sports to appeal to nationalism seems antiquated to me. But hey that's just my opinion.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You could but club football could live without International football. While the vice versa could not.
That's an extremely narrow-minded perspective to have. The popularity of football wouldn't be close to where it is without the World Cup. The relationship between club and international football is symbiotic, and they suffer from some of the same issues.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The league of nations is basically an attempt to emulate the Champions League format.

I wouldn't be against scaling down the CL/EL either but I don't see it happening.

Do they have to?

Don't wan't to get involved in an off topic saga but for what it's worth the idea of countries playing each other in sports to appeal to nationalism seems antiquated to me. But hey that's just my opinion.
Well that was the question put to you by duffer, you replied but didn’t answer, just said there’s already too much football.

seems we have a different view of what representing your country means

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A United treble is just way too easy a decision versus winning the Euros!

It'd have to be say winning the FA/League cup v England to be a debate.

48 hours

United winning the league, never mind the treble, would come first for me before England winning the Euros.

stevoc

Well that was the question put to you by duffer, you replied but didn’t answer, just said there’s already too much football.

seems we have a different view of what representing your country means
Maybe so. Apart from when I was a kid I've never really been into supporting people/teams simply because of a shared nationality.

stevoc

That's an extremely narrow-minded perspective to have. The popularity of football wouldn't be close to where it is without the World Cup. The relationship between club and international football is symbiotic, and they suffer from some of the same issues.
Thank you.

I would say International football is more parasitic these days.

Cant bear england winning anything. It'll be worse than the kop winning the league.

fecking football coming home and the tabloid milking it.

I'd keep a treble thanks
what nationality are you?

too many people don’t get that “3 lions” is ironic and self deprecating.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are there other people like me who even support single players from their club versus their national team?

If Germany played against England in the final, I'd be happy if Rashford scored the winning goal for England despite supporting Germany otherwise.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Are there other people like me who even support single players from their club versus their national team?

If Germany played against England in the final, I'd be happy if Rashford scored the winning goal for England despite supporting Germany otherwise.
There's tons of people who support players over teams (and I don't understand any of them!).

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There's tons of people who support players over teams (and I don't understand any of them!).
Just to clarify: I wouldn't be happy if Rashford joined another team and scored against United or Germany.

Dan_F

A United treble is just way too easy a decision versus winning the Euros!

It'd have to be say winning the FA/League cup v England to be a debate.
This. And given the current state of United I’d go for any domestic cup.

I have a love/hate relationship with the England team. Grew up supporting it, but by the time I got to 15 it was the mid 2000s and after all the shit with Beckham, Scholes being misused, Ronaldo/Rooney (not to mention the Terry/Lampard/Gerrard heart of the team), I couldn’t be bothered.

I’ve found the team more likeable now, although the fans always find a way to remind me why I dislike them compared to United, this tournament it’s the booing of taking a knee.

valeron21

Country for me ! I love tournaments as it’s a chance to watch with my mates and cheer on the same team for a change. There’s no real money involved either , a country can produce a tournament winning team without billions of pounds spent on it which is as pure is at it gets in an increasingly money driven football world !

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This. And given the current state of United I’d go for any domestic cup.

I have a love/hate relationship with the England team. Grew up supporting it, but by the time I got to 15 it was the mid 2000s and after all the shit with Beckham, Scholes being misused, Ronaldo/Rooney (not to mention the Terry/Lampard/Gerrard heart of the team), I couldn’t be bothered.

I’ve found the team more likeable now, although the fans always find a way to remind me why I dislike them compared to United, this tournament it’s the booing of taking a knee.
The tournaments just about justify international stuff for me these days.
But like you, my interest has massively waned from the days I'd get up to Wembley (only 25mins on the train, but still a late night), paying £60-70 all in, for friendlies, to the days I don't even watch non competitive games now.
There's just way too many walkovers, and to be honest I'm struggling to understand the relevance of competing for a country these days, with the world so massively accessible, and society as a whole going very "woke" in "we're all the same" sort of stuff. Similarly, it's not been the case for ages that international stuff is the top level of the game.

Still...just about watching the games now, and liking it, just not as much as the days I'd booked a couple of weeks off work to watch it!

Ibi Dreams

I'm not English but I'd take United winning any trophy over my International team winning anything.

Haven't watched a minute of Euro 2021 yet and have no plans to. International football is an antiquated concept that isn't going anywhere because of money but really should be phased out.
What a miserable post. Do you not enjoy watching football?

Even if you're a neutral whose team isn't in the tournament, I can't get my head around this opinion.

MU655

England or Wales. Not even close.

Manutd get a chance to win those competitions every season. It will happen eventually due to sheer number of attempts.

The international competitions are far rarer. An England or Wales win would be massive. Of course, I'd prefer the World Cup.

saivet

Very easily England winning the Euros or World Cup for me. I was too young to remember the treble in 1999 but I've seen United win plenty of league titles and one CL.

England winning a major tournament is potentially once in a life time.

I’ve seen a massive amount of success as a United fan - so the answer is definitely England.

England winning the Euros is a hell of a lot more likely that United winning the treble

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
This is my order for the major club/country achievements

England - World Cup
Chelsea - Treble
Chelsea - Champions League
England - Euros
Chelsea - Premier League

This is my order for the major club/country achievements

England - World Cup
Chelsea - Treble
Chelsea - Champions League
England - Euros
Chelsea - Premier League
I’d probably swap the Euros and the CL.

it would be more of an interesting question to supporters who don’t support traditionally big clubs that see a lot of success. For arguments sale, if you supported Burnley - would club success be higher up on the want list?

Seeing these boys play for Wales now I can’t help but fall in love with it and want them to do well, you can see the passion they play with and I think Uniteds players effort and passion doesn’t come close.
Agreed, it's been refreshing to see how much it means to some of the teams at the Euros (Italy, Slovakia and Wales being the standouts).

Although I think that's more down to us having a lack of it at United than anything inherently special about International Football.

We have maybe a handful of players that you actually trust to give it their all every game...players that you believe legitimately hurt when we lose. I think Scholes, Neville, Keane and Rio all made this point at different times last season. It's a big reason why Bruno and Cavani became instant crowd-favourites.

For a while it was popular to deride 'PASHUN' as some Brexit punditry cliche...but football is inherently a silly, unimportant game that only has as much meaning as you give it. It's nice to see players who look like they really give a shit, who fight for every ball. It adds a bit of much needed 'this really matters' kayfabe to an increasingly sanatised sport where the corporate curtain pulls back a little further every year.