English cricket thread

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Should be a good chase. Hopefully Ireland can do it, but the pressure of an ‘easy’ chase to get your maiden Test win will make it tough.

Woakes shouldn’t be lethal in these conditions. Ball should move around plenty.

Will take some chasing. Make England slight favourites still, but new ball wickets will be key

JohnnyKills

Should be a good chase. Hopefully Ireland can do it, but the pressure of an ‘easy’ chase to get your maiden Test win will make it tough.
Yeah it's a really tricky chase. Between 150 and 200 is a horrible number to chase down... the batting side don't know whether to block or blast and the bowlers can just steam in, knowing they won't have to bowl for long. We've seen plenty of teams crumble when faced with such a target (England's 46 all out in Trinidad springs to mind).

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't follow cricket, but luckily today could slot nicely into one of our other national pastimes, Watching England Lose.*

*Not my joke :)
I'd wait a while longer for that one.

The conditions are favouring us today. Quality stuff from Broad and Woakes.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yeah, I get that it's unlikely and would be a massive upset even with that target. Hope they can do it though.
Aye I can see the good in both results today. England picking themselves up off the floor after a dire start to this test will auger well for the Ashes but I wouldn't begrudge Ireland in the slightest.

24-3 is great but O'Brien has an innings in him for sure, even the face of this bowling.

Woakes shouldn’t be lethal in these conditions. Ball should move around plenty.

Will take some chasing. Make England slight favourites still, but new ball wickets will be key
That should have said “should be”
And so it’s proving. Woakes with three already and Ireland 4 down.

Get O’ Brien and should be the game

Skills

Snitch
Knew this would happen. Unlucky Ireland.

Come on England, let's knock them over for 50

Do well to surpass England’s first innings total now.

What is Ireland’s lowest Test score?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I think it just took England a day or so to get back up to Test speed, after all the excitement of the WC.

Anyway, where are our Irish armchair cricket fans now?

Irish Caft'ard: "I don't know the rules, but isn't 25 for 6 quite bad?"
:nono:

Would be quite pleased if you were sitting in an armchair at present.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The stars have aligned today with these conditions but take nothing away from Broad and Woakes' demonic bowling.

We look like we're getting out of jail, I hope the batsmen will take heart from this let-off but it's worrying that nobody seems to have predicted the same XI for the first Ashes test. There is far too much up in the air for my liking.

diarm

I think it just took England a day or so to get back up to Test speed, after all the excitement of the WC.

Anyway, where are our Irish armchair cricket fans now?

Irish Caft'ard: "I don't know the rules, but isn't 25 for 6 quite bad?"
Classy as ever.

Djemba-Djemba

The stars have aligned today with these conditions but take nothing away from Broad and Woakes' demonic bowling.

We look like we're getting out of jail, I hope the batsmen will take heart from this let-off but it's worrying that nobody seems to have predicted the same XI for the first Ashes test. There is far too much up in the air for my liking.
The fact there's talk of Vince coming in for the Ashes is frightening.

Especially when you look at how poor nick Burns looks in and you think "yeah maybe Vince will be better".....

Another wicket!

zing

Zingle balls

Bit like the Indian odi team. Some openings that never seem to get filled.

Sibley, Burns, Root, Roy, Buttler, Stokes, Foakes, Ali, Woakes, Archer/Broad, Anderson

Maybe something like that? Never seen Sibley bat and going off Nasser's opinion on Roy at 4.

Australia have a real chance to win this one.